Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Meijer to invest in state, not Detroit « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Genesyxx
Username: Genesyxx

Post Number: 696
Posted on Tuesday, March 20, 2007 - 7:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=/20070320/BUS INESS06/70320030

Expressing confidence in Michigan’s economic future, Meijer stores President Mark Murray today released figures showing that the company’s investment in the state for the three years ending in 2007 will total $463 million.

This year, investment in construction and land investment will be $123 million, and will include three new stores. In Wayne County, a store will be built in Allen Park as part of a redevelopment project. Built on a former landfill, the project is certified under the U.S. Green Building Council's Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design rating system.

Other new stores will be built in Macomb and Clinton counties. The private company’s distribution center in Lansing will have an $18-million expansion.

Besides the $123 million this year, the company said its investment in Michigan was $132 million last year and $207 million in 2005.

Murray said Meijer, which is based in Walker in western Michigan, is committed to the state.

“We’ve recently seen news of a few companies reducing their presence in the state,” said Murray, a former state budget director and treasurer and former president of Grand Valley State University. “We want everyone to know that Meijer will continue to invest here, confident of a solid future.”

Lvnthed
Username: Lvnthed

Post Number: 36
Posted on Tuesday, March 20, 2007 - 8:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If it's good for michigan It's good for Detroit. I'm happy for any new developement in the state. When we get the density they will come. Anyway this lag will give specialty shops a chance to take root in the D.

Urbanize
Username: Urbanize

Post Number: 277
Posted on Tuesday, March 20, 2007 - 8:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The only major box store located in the city is a Super KMart on the outskirts on Telegraph and 8 Mile.

Their looking at the incomes and what not of where people live, not the folks to come to shop there.

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 1111
Posted on Tuesday, March 20, 2007 - 9:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd rather have the Meijers at my Corner (site of old Super K at Southfield and Ford) than that stinking Super Walmart that they are putting in there now.

Don't fret, Walmart is only one block from the Border! : )

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 473
Posted on Tuesday, March 20, 2007 - 9:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If it's good for michigan It's good for Detroit. I'm happy for any new developement in the state.

I agree with ya, Lvn. There are lots of Meijer stores on the outskirts. Only thing I go to them for is to return bottles anyway. I try go do as much of my shopping as I can in Detroit and Hamtramck (Glory Foods, represent!), but you've gotta support a Michigan company that stays in Michigan and invests in Michigan (screw you, Comerica!).

Urbanize

Post Number: 292
Posted on Tuesday, March 20, 2007 - 9:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I love Glory Foods. I just wish they were full service. the one on Hoover and Groesbeck when it first open would of gave rat filled Mazen's some competition. Their clean, had atmosphere, had deli, bakery and pharmacy. Too bad they had to close them up.

Fareastsider
Username: Fareastsider

Post Number: 246
Posted on Tuesday, March 20, 2007 - 10:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ah thank god Meijer is building another eye sore out here at 26 and I-94 they have a store 5 miles down the road which is the architectual crown of Chesterfield, my favorite part of it is the way the architect placed it behind 600 feet of asphalt. Thank god there will be another one on the rural interchange that is 26 and I-94. It will be the new 23 and Gratiot. Also thankfully the government is ponying up money to extend the water line a few miles to connect the new Meijer! they are even upgrading the near by pump station just in time! This is also with a Wal-Mart expansion at Hall Rd and I94 and a huge big box development at 23 and I-94. The Meijer on 26 is the anchor of a retail area with many stores and parking lots one day. I personally do not see the demand that will support this new Meijer and the other retail developments cause housing is DEAD out here. Think about it out here government monies are used to help build this sprawl and create new traffic and infrastructure problems where we dont need any more in Macomb. Think about that in Detroit where the infrastructure and demand is and they have a hard time landing any Meijer retail. On a personal note I am so fucking pissed off about this Meijer because they are going to drasticaly increase traffic on the 2 lane road at 26 Mile. The road has become busier with light growth out there, but it is nothing compared to what it will be with this wonderful new retail auto dominant structure. At least I am sure there will be a clean well built bus stop option for those who do not want to drive. The bus stop in the Chesterfield Meijer is a glass smart stop literally in the middle of an asphalt lot.

Jiscodazz
Username: Jiscodazz

Post Number: 3
Posted on Tuesday, March 20, 2007 - 10:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey, that Meijers in Allen Park and that new shopping developement there in general is great. Sure I wish it was in Detroit, but it's so close(for those of us who can't do all or our shopping in the city) and the fact that it was built on a landfill and not in cornfield is amazing. Plus, the ring suburbs aren't looking so good these days either.

Urbanoutdoors
Username: Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 146
Posted on Tuesday, March 20, 2007 - 11:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone know when the meijer in AP is opening it looks like they are getting pretty close.

Peter
Username: Peter

Post Number: 29
Posted on Tuesday, March 20, 2007 - 11:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Development is GOOD guys... new construction is good too. The fact that major corporations are showing serious interest is great, especially when taking into consideration that our state is the supposed laughing stock of the country.

Schulzte1
Username: Schulzte1

Post Number: 48
Posted on Wednesday, March 21, 2007 - 12:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If Michigan's economy was thriving, I could understand complaints about urban sprawl and suburban development. Right now, this state just needs to get on its feet. I grew up on a farm and I hope farmland and natural areas can be preserved in the long run, but for now corn fields be damned, we need jobs where we can get them.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 2595
Posted on Wednesday, March 21, 2007 - 12:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well said, Fareastsider.

Fareastsider

Post Number: 248
Posted on Wednesday, March 21, 2007 - 1:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We NEED jobs and to get them any way possible is not a good stance nor is ANY development. I say by developing wisely and not wasting the great natural resources which our state is known for that horribly planned shopping centers arnt the solution to save us. Retail is going to be the dominant industry in the US and soon Michigan and that isnt going to get us to the level the auto companies did. To attract jobs with any development just reinforces the belief that we are a backwards state. If we built wisely and created jobs by investing in our cities and not continue the wasteful development of ugly large shopping centers we can show the county we are smarter than they think. We need creative ideas for jobs not just any jobs....especially retail. Yes we DO need any job which many of us do, but how good will these jobs be through wasteful sprawl in a region mired in deficit that is promoting jobs by subsidising infrastructure expansion.
When we have so much that needs to be upgraded those are 300 jobs I would rather not have here. If the region was booming I would accept the development but hate to see the changed landscape. The continuation of wasteful developments into the hinterland will only stretch our resources thinner and make the fall of this region easier. I am also well aware of the cheaper costs and speed for rural suburban development, but hell a bit of investment could pay off in the long run if you try to reestablish built areas. After all the way I see it no area is ever invested in to much after it was built. The region resembles a landscape that was built out but never looked back upon. Still after about 110 years of building out we have not learned a lesson and it seems in this economic climate that this is our last chance...

Fareastsider

Post Number: 249
Posted on Wednesday, March 21, 2007 - 1:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

speaking of crumbling infrastructure....
http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=/20070320/NEW S05/70320009&GID=z9nrmLVKIqMN7 2Y4nqmVrMtVMVXL+8EQXhzVSArry7o %3D

Fareastsider

Post Number: 250
Posted on Wednesday, March 21, 2007 - 1:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

wow and i just found this about lack of demand....
http://www.detnews.com/apps/pb cs.dll/article?AID=/20070320/B IZ/703200385

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 5266
Posted on Wednesday, March 21, 2007 - 2:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is a general lack of demand, but there are pockets where the housing market is healthy. What that article shows is that in tough economic times, the only projects that will work are niche/specialized projects like the B-C and everything else going on downtown. The traditional housing market in much of the state is terrible, at the moment, but there are heavy niche markets all across the state.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that you can get in where you fit in. :-)

(Message edited by lmichigan on March 21, 2007)

Mikeg
Username: Mikeg

Post Number: 718
Posted on Wednesday, March 21, 2007 - 8:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

On a personal note I am so fucking pissed off about this Meijer because they are going to drasticaly increase traffic on the 2 lane road at 26 Mile.

Apparently, you've been contributing to the traffic counts on 26 Mile Road that are being used by Meijer to help justify their new project. Therefore you should either shoulder some of the blame or quit your pissing and moaning.

Fareastsider

Post Number: 254
Posted on Wednesday, March 21, 2007 - 8:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually I do not drive on 26 Mile rd to often maybe once a week tops, it is not on my daily driving routes. I actually live a number of miles from it and am sick of seeing the landscape out here developed the way it is. It is close enough for me be aware of its development. I never mentioned that I drive by it daily so I dont know how you know I fit into their counts. By the way the only way to get around there is by car because nothing is there. Anyone going in that area has to use 26 Mile because the nearest E-W route is 23 Mile. We are all a part of some traffic count somewhere. Why do you have a problem with me being upset about an un needed development? How can anyone not be a part of a traffic count of where they live if they NEED a car to get around. Maybe large corporations should not depend more on equations such as traffic counts and demographics to determine store locations. I am obviously to blame because I am part of a equation they use to determine where to invest. Just like the poor family at 6 and Van Dyke are to blame for not having a large retailer because of their education and income level.

Detroiternthemist
Username: Detroiternthemist

Post Number: 81
Posted on Wednesday, March 21, 2007 - 9:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So the only positive news in the state is coming from Detroit? Sounds weird after you say a few times. So I guess we found out the hard way that without a thriving major city the metro area will not survive.

Bob
Username: Bob

Post Number: 1414
Posted on Wednesday, March 21, 2007 - 10:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ironically the SMART Gratiot line ends at the Meijer store in the sea of blacktop at 23 Mile Road.

(Message edited by bob on March 21, 2007)

Urbanize

Post Number: 304
Posted on Thursday, March 22, 2007 - 11:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^^lol.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.