Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Blockbuster - Harbortown Closing « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Michigansheik
Username: Michigansheik

Post Number: 184
Posted on Tuesday, March 20, 2007 - 7:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just about three more weeks left and they're gone.
Store employee said a new lease could not be agreed to between Blockbuster and Jonna (the management company of Harbortown stores). Will Box Seat capture the opportunity before everyone goes to the mail?

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 471
Posted on Tuesday, March 20, 2007 - 7:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Suck.
That's one of, what? Two in the city? I tried Netflix and it wasn't for me. Crap.
Amazes me how some development companies think they can charge an arm and a leg for retail space in Detroit. Look at Merchants Row. I've heard they're empty because the rent is too high.

Urbanize
Username: Urbanize

Post Number: 274
Posted on Tuesday, March 20, 2007 - 7:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not surprised. Wiuth all the Bootlegging and downloading off the internets' Blockbuster has been doing pooly in sales overall. We have a membership to the one ocated on 9 Mile and Gratiot. So far, that one seems to be doing well as they were rather busy the past Sunday.

Dialh4hipster
Username: Dialh4hipster

Post Number: 1976
Posted on Tuesday, March 20, 2007 - 7:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

/quote{Amazes me how some development companies think they can charge an arm and a leg for retail space in Detroit. Look at Merchants Row. I've heard they're empty because the rent is too high.}

My thoughts exactly. I have no idea what these people are thinking. There used to be this thing called "what the market will support," but apparently that's passe.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 8660
Posted on Tuesday, March 20, 2007 - 7:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Listening to Ndavies, seems NO developer can afford to actually HAVE their space occupied.

Especially first-floor retail.

Too much damage from wear-and-tear.

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 5263
Posted on Tuesday, March 20, 2007 - 7:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Urbanize hit the nail on the head. Video stores are quickly becoming dinosaurs, and Blockbuster has been downsizing, and moving a lot of their market to the internet.

Urbanize

Post Number: 276
Posted on Tuesday, March 20, 2007 - 7:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well who can get the point through their big, thickheaded, greedy skulls? They have that mentality that "Since this is downtown Detroit, we will make the prices sky high as land value and demand will grow". Again, this is Downtown Detroit, Not Downtown Chicago or New York.

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 2871
Posted on Tuesday, March 20, 2007 - 7:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Blockbuster is losing their franchise partners through bankruptcies, so expect fewer brick-and-mortars. It also recently sold all their Australian franchises to another firm.

Mail or online will probably be all that's left of Blockbuster soon.

Urbanize

Post Number: 278
Posted on Tuesday, March 20, 2007 - 8:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Face it folks, everything in the next 50 years will become computer based. WE are heading into a technology based society. This isn't the 1900s anymore.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 527
Posted on Tuesday, March 20, 2007 - 8:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They got blindsided by the popularity of Netflix.

Isn't there another Blockbuster at Jefferson and Chene? Or is that a Hollywood Video?

Urbanize

Post Number: 279
Posted on Tuesday, March 20, 2007 - 8:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That Hollywood Video alright. Even they've been doing poorly in sales.

Susanarosa
Username: Susanarosa

Post Number: 1412
Posted on Tuesday, March 20, 2007 - 8:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Hollywood Video at Jefferson and Chene has been closed for over two years now.

You're thinking about Jefferson and Conner?

Scs100
Username: Scs100

Post Number: 637
Posted on Tuesday, March 20, 2007 - 8:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I believe its on the other side of the railroad tracks. Jefferson and St. Aubin? (I think thats the street.)

Urbanize

Post Number: 281
Posted on Tuesday, March 20, 2007 - 8:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No, there's no HV on Conner and Jefferson. Nothing there but a shell, a church and a Coney Island. I remember seeing the HV open when we went to Fuddruckers last summer.

Urbanize

Post Number: 282
Posted on Tuesday, March 20, 2007 - 8:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh wait, you mean on Jefferson and St. Jean. Ok, I get ya.

Susanarosa

Post Number: 1414
Posted on Tuesday, March 20, 2007 - 8:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I live at that corner and the Hollywood Video has been closed as long as I've been here.

But I guess if you've been to the Fuddruckers, you must know better than I.

And the only open Hollywood Video on Jefferson is in the Farmer Jack strip mall that is on Jefferson and St. Jean.

*sigh*

Susanarosa

Post Number: 1415
Posted on Tuesday, March 20, 2007 - 8:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

glad we're straight...

Scs100

Post Number: 639
Posted on Tuesday, March 20, 2007 - 8:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

St. this, St. that, there are too many St. streets on the east side. Thanks for the clarification.

Urbanize

Post Number: 284
Posted on Tuesday, March 20, 2007 - 8:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hmm, hmm, Too many uncreative names on the westside (Kentucky, Indiana, Ohio, Wyoming, Telegraph). At least most streets on the Eastside are original.

Craggy
Username: Craggy

Post Number: 232
Posted on Tuesday, March 20, 2007 - 8:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Its certainly not just Detroit.

Here in Charlotte, both the Blockbuster and the Hollywood video near my office have closed.

Netflix has killed them...and soon, the computer will kill Netflix.

Scs100

Post Number: 640
Posted on Tuesday, March 20, 2007 - 8:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Urbanize, I can definitely give you that.

Gannon

Post Number: 8675
Posted on Tuesday, March 20, 2007 - 9:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm cool with it.

Gannon

Post Number: 8677
Posted on Tuesday, March 20, 2007 - 9:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I mean, being straight and all.

Gotta hit refresh more often after I take a break from avoiding work.

Susanarosa

Post Number: 1417
Posted on Tuesday, March 20, 2007 - 9:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought it was the Guinness...

Bibs
Username: Bibs

Post Number: 677
Posted on Tuesday, March 20, 2007 - 9:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yep, Blockbuster stores have been closing left and right all over the Metro area. One folded near the corner of 16 mile and Dequindre about three years ago and it's still vacant.

With broad band, you can download a video or watch it on-line. Do you really need Netflixs?

Urbanoutdoors
Username: Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 139
Posted on Tuesday, March 20, 2007 - 9:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I better return BORAT so I don't get a fine.... That really does suck though because that one is much better organized than the one on warren. It is crazy how quickly that one and the one that was on michigan went. I do like the fact that an independent store has a chance to capture more of the market but it does not boast well for the area that Hollywood and that one closed along one of Detroits only "thriving" retail arteries

Fareastsider
Username: Fareastsider

Post Number: 247
Posted on Tuesday, March 20, 2007 - 10:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

50 year Urbanize I would say in 10 it will be almost normal for alot of what we buy today will be strictly digital. Look at the cash cards and how quick they took over. Blockbusters doom is sealed, CD's are already the new LP and physical media such as games and movies are not far behind at all.

Cmubryan
Username: Cmubryan

Post Number: 401
Posted on Tuesday, March 20, 2007 - 11:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

15 and Orchard Lake closed suddenly 6 mos ago and is vacant. It was there for years and years (I'm guessing an original store from the 80s).

Peter
Username: Peter

Post Number: 25
Posted on Tuesday, March 20, 2007 - 11:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cmubryan- I worked briefly for the management company that owns that strip mall, they are having a tough time keeping tenants and attracting new ones to fill the empty space. I would not be suprised if it is completely vacant in 10-15 years.

Mike
Username: Mike

Post Number: 872
Posted on Tuesday, March 20, 2007 - 11:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is a market for places like blockbuster and hollywood video, but its very small.

I do not like downloading videos because I am into the audio and video quality that comes with DVDs. I would much rather watch a movie on my Plasma and Surround System than through my laptop LCD and PC speakers.

Too bad for Blockbusters that I do not match too many movies nor do I like paying close to five bucks for a DVD when it costs ten bucks to own it.

Urbanize

Post Number: 294
Posted on Tuesday, March 20, 2007 - 11:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eh, 10 years is way too soon. Once you see the box stores decrease in size and UPS expand even more is when internet shopping will be at it's highest.

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 883
Posted on Wednesday, March 21, 2007 - 1:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just to clear up something that Livernoisyard mentioned, VERY VERY few Blockbuster stores are franchises. So franchises closing will have very little effect on how many stores you see.

It is merely the corporation scaling back. They overbuilt in the 90s, just like McDonalds. Many of their stores were kept open while losing money, simply for brand image and presence in the market. I once asked a Blockbuster regional manager why a particular store was kept open, ignoring the fact that it had been losing money almost it's entire life. The reason was: "every dollar of revenue is one more dollar Hollywood Video doesn't get." They were playing the "see who has the deepest pockets" game with their competitors. And they were winning, but then the Internet came along.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 5636
Posted on Wednesday, March 21, 2007 - 10:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Strip store franchises don't last longer than 10 years and newer Black owned businesses in Detroit don't last longer than 5 years. When your businesses is in corporate competative capitalist society, they must race to make a profit or shut down.

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 1157
Posted on Wednesday, March 21, 2007 - 11:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Terryh won't be affected by this--Blockbuster doesn't have the room with the swinging doors

Kamesan
Username: Kamesan

Post Number: 2
Posted on Wednesday, March 21, 2007 - 12:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I heard that NetFlix is going to downloadable movies sometime this year? That'll keep them in business for awhile.

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 763
Posted on Wednesday, March 21, 2007 - 12:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I didn't realize there were still video rental stores out there...all the ones by me in the burbs closed almost two years ago...

between Netflix and VOD, video rental stores have very little to offer imho...

(Message edited by thejesus on March 21, 2007)

Dabirch
Username: Dabirch

Post Number: 2160
Posted on Wednesday, March 21, 2007 - 12:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Between Blockbuster and Movie Gallery they did $8b in sales last year.

The in store rental business is not dead.

Just shrinking. The better they can control the bleed, the better they can generate cash flow.

Controlling bleed means closing unprofitable stores and not investing more than necessary maintenance in that line of business -- while converting cash into either (a) dividends or (b)investment in other profitable sectors.

Neither of which means they are dead or that they have little to offer.

Eastsidedog
Username: Eastsidedog

Post Number: 943
Posted on Wednesday, March 21, 2007 - 12:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thejesus, video rental stores have a lot to offer to those that are across the digital divide (i.e. many of the citizens of Detroit).

B24liberator
Username: B24liberator

Post Number: 69
Posted on Wednesday, March 21, 2007 - 12:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Video stores, camera shops, small computer outlets-- These are all reeling from the internet punches being thrown. As far as video stores, a couple of Blockbusters and numerous mom and pop joints have closed around me here, in the Ann Arbor/Ypsilanti area.... Gotta admit, I've "jumped ship" and become a Netflix fella-- They make it too easy.... On the other hand, its best if your pet rabbit doesn't eat the return envelope though...

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 884
Posted on Wednesday, March 21, 2007 - 1:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm very much on the digital side of the digital divide, and I still like to go to the stores now and then. I need to look at the boxes, get ideas. On Demand or Netflix only works if you already know what you want to see.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 536
Posted on Wednesday, March 21, 2007 - 1:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It hasn't been 2 years since I've been to that area (I'm sure it was Chene and Jefferson), but it probably has been over a year. The same strip mall where Fuddruckers and that chinese food place (Lucky Kitchen? Lucky Dragon? Something.) is at... I think there is a Comerica across Jefferson from it.

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 764
Posted on Wednesday, March 21, 2007 - 1:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

focueonthed:

Netflix has a "new releases" page similar to the wall of new releases that you might find at the video store...also, their movies are categorized better...instead of putting every movie under the sun into the "Drama" catagory, as movie stores do, you can search for specific categories of movies...

also, On Demand gives you a guide to scroll through, so already knowing what you want to see is not a prerequisite

Bw7085
Username: Bw7085

Post Number: 5
Posted on Wednesday, March 21, 2007 - 9:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Hollywood video is on Jefferson and Lillibridge. Right by Jefferson village strip malls

Urbanize

Post Number: 303
Posted on Wednesday, March 21, 2007 - 9:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's IN the Jefferson Village Mall, not by it.

Waxx
Username: Waxx

Post Number: 97
Posted on Wednesday, March 21, 2007 - 10:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry to hear that Blockbuster's closing their doors on East Jefferson. I used to go there alot when it first opened in the late 80s-early 90s. Used to rent the latest vids there and RELIGIOUSLY rent Cowboy Bebop 'sessions'. I was devastated when they closed the BV on Jefferson next door to Golightly Voc-Tech Center-now Career Tech. Center. I would go there alot because of the Victoria Park subdivision. It's odd cause I attended Golightly from 91-93 and in '91 when the Riverbend Plaza first opened, there was no BV yet, and I'd get a kick out of seeing the GP Park border from the back atrium. In '92, ALL THAT changed! There came Blockbuster and I was so pissed that that big mountain of a building would block the view. But when I was old enough to start driving, I actually loved going to that one. I believe in '97 it closed its doors and I believe it's a Rainbow's now. Would anyone believe me if I toldja that I still have my membership from Gratiot and McNichols (closed since '97 or '98) and I can still use it. I work on the westside and they recently closed the Blockbuster on 7 and Telegraph and they're converting it into a 5th3rd Bank. The one in Grandmont-Rosedale is still open. And if I'm not mistaken, the BV on Michigan and [a few blocks west of] Livernois is still open also.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.