Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » What's the history behind this building? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Korridorkid
Username: Korridorkid

Post Number: 77
Posted on Tuesday, March 20, 2007 - 1:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's a photo of this little building on Elizabeth St. off Woodward behind the State Theatre and the Women's City Club Building. Can anyone mention anything as to its history, past ownership, usage, and current ownership?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/7 486881@N08/428290117/

If I had money I would buy this place in a heartbeat. Turn it into a nice supper club, or maybe a french tavern..extensive wine list classic french workingman's fare...chic in a bohemian way...dreams, dreams...

Also, this building across the street from the one above, directly behind the park bar...looks like it was an office building but would be eager to have some more info.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/7 486881@N08/428290128/in/photostream/

(Message edited by KorridorKid on March 20, 2007)

Korridorkid

Post Number: 78
Posted on Tuesday, March 20, 2007 - 1:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Damn flickr...How does one fix those links?

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 2587
Posted on Tuesday, March 20, 2007 - 1:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Korridor, I can't get those links to work when I post photos, but, on your flickr page, click on "show all size" (the magnified version of the original) for a particular photo, and then post that address...that will work.

Seanharper
Username: Seanharper

Post Number: 13
Posted on Tuesday, March 20, 2007 - 2:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KorridorKid,

You need to post as HTML, instead of letting the BB software pick up the link. I tried to post an example, but the BB software automatically picks up everything as HTML, doesn't allow "<pre>" tags.

Korridorkid

Post Number: 79
Posted on Tuesday, March 20, 2007 - 2:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mackinaw, you're a lifesaver!...Well, at least a great help anyways...Cheers! (Thanks to Seanharper as well)

Little building...One behind State Theatre
http://farm1.static.flickr.com /153/428290117_dab7b0258e_b.jp g

Office type building across the street...horizontal(sorry)
http://farm1.static.flickr.com /187/428290128_b71d7d8874_o.jp g

(Message edited by Korridorkid on March 20, 2007)

Rfban
Username: Rfban

Post Number: 55
Posted on Tuesday, March 20, 2007 - 2:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have always wanted to know what that little building was aswell.

E_hemingway
Username: E_hemingway

Post Number: 1110
Posted on Tuesday, March 20, 2007 - 2:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The second building is the old Adams Theater. The lobby to it was in the Fine Arts building on Adams facing Grand Circus Park. I have heard the little building is a semi-famous recording studio for Detroit rock.

Rsa
Username: Rsa

Post Number: 1053
Posted on Tuesday, March 20, 2007 - 2:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the former started out as a smaller home. it was then added onto the front to turn it into a shop. at some point, it was some kind of business that specialized in chickens: i've heard some amusing anecdotes about walking by the front door and chicken feathers blowing out thru the cracks (along with quite a ruckus going on inside). in later life, it served as a recording studio. there are a few famous detroit albums recorded here, i just can't seem to remember them. that's what it was up until recently. looks like it may be abandoned now (altho you couldn't tell it was occupied even when it was).

the second building is the backstage area of the adams theatre. it's a "hopper" type theatre; meaning that you reach the auditorium, from the lobby (in the fine arts building), in a bridge or tunnel spanning the alleyway. the taller portion is the stage, where the scenery could be pulled up into (aka "flyloft"). the windows at the very top are false. all others i believe are dressing rooms, offices, etc.

ilitch owns the latter. find out the address, and go here for the owner of the former: https://is.bsasoftware.com/bsa .is/AssessingServices/ServiceA ssessingSearch.aspx?i=1&appid= 0&unit=155

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 1196
Posted on Tuesday, March 20, 2007 - 2:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think this was the recording studio:

http://www.ghettorecorders.com /welcome.html

White Stripes recorded there.

Downtown_dave
Username: Downtown_dave

Post Number: 117
Posted on Tuesday, March 20, 2007 - 4:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The little building behind the State Theater was an electric supply company (can't remember the name) and is owned by Chuck Forbes.

At the close of the business and as part of the building cleanout by Forbes employees, there was a whole bunch of 50s/60s "tacky" but now highly valued table lamps for sale - many of which were purchased by Free Press reporters. A peek in the newsroom revealed a pretty unique display of "task lighting" above their computer terminals.

Is there a future Neil Rubin column here - or did he already cover? (I think he had a picture of the creatively lit newsroom at one time.)

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 1148
Posted on Tuesday, March 20, 2007 - 4:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

RSA has the early part right, it was a poultry store, the Carter electric, now recording studio

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 477
Posted on Tuesday, March 20, 2007 - 11:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's a recording studio despite being all boarded up?

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.