Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Bob Lo « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Buyamerican
Username: Buyamerican

Post Number: 12
Posted on Monday, March 19, 2007 - 10:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Another good site.

http://www.boblosteamers.com/a musement.html

Homer
Username: Homer

Post Number: 122
Posted on Monday, March 19, 2007 - 11:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cool!! I remember looking forward to the trip every summer in the late 50's & 60's. Even got to take my kids once before it closed.

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 449
Posted on Monday, March 19, 2007 - 1:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My dad worked for AAA Michigan when it owned Boblo, so we got free tickets all the time. Even got to go up in the wheelhouse of either the Columbia or Ste. Claire and "steered" the boat down the mighty Detroit River. Of course, the huge steering wheel was just for show and for the kiddies, but I sure bet I was hot schitt at the time.

Beavis1981
Username: Beavis1981

Post Number: 359
Posted on Monday, March 19, 2007 - 2:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I used to love boblo until it scarred me for life:-) The bar that is supposed to keep you from flying to your death on the rollercoaster disengaged 4 seconds into the ride. I remember clinging on for dear life. Now I won't get on any rollercoaster unless it has one of those over-the-shoulder deals.

Bobj
Username: Bobj

Post Number: 1827
Posted on Monday, March 19, 2007 - 2:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The rides at Boblo were a bit hair raising, but I loved the water, the rides, the relaxed pace it was much better than the amusement parks we have today

14509glenfield
Username: 14509glenfield

Post Number: 573
Posted on Monday, March 19, 2007 - 7:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Been there; done that as with all of you. Destination parks today PUSH empty your wallet while your here. Wallets were thinner. Less cash and zippo credit cards in the heyday of Bob-Lo and the like. Citizens couldn't handle that today. Could they?

Ladyinabag
Username: Ladyinabag

Post Number: 118
Posted on Monday, March 19, 2007 - 7:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Joe Vitale was the bandleader on The Bob-lo Boats and my father played trumpet in his band. I got to go for free every year. Hahahahahahahahahaha!! I got to go to The State Fair every year for free too XXhahahahahahahaha.

Mallory
Username: Mallory

Post Number: 92
Posted on Tuesday, March 20, 2007 - 9:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was a DJ on the boat in the summer of '84. Every little brat kid in Detroit was on that boat and always wanted to hear Michael Jackson. <hurl>

Heck, it was a job. We were not allowed to get off the ship and hang on the island. Sucked. And one of the captains was a dxxk. Real ego-maniac. It's not like you're sailing a Carnival cruise, dude!

There were times that we sailed to the island, dropped off passengers, went back to Detroit and picked up another load. Those were some long days, but as I look back, those ships were beautiful. I just didn't stop to realize it at the time. Don't know what you've got til its gone.

On the way back to Detroit, we always had to play the song "Hello Detroit" by Sammy Davis Jr. Some of the looks you would get from the younger set were enough to make you want to wear keflar. (sp?)

Almost cracked my head open on the Sky Streak. Ahhh, those were the days...

Sailor_rick
Username: Sailor_rick

Post Number: 169
Posted on Tuesday, March 20, 2007 - 11:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mallory,
I sailed on them a bit back then-lousy pay but a great time. Was the "Asshat" Captain, relatively young? Do you cringe every time you hear "Celebrate"?

Mallory
Username: Mallory

Post Number: 94
Posted on Tuesday, March 20, 2007 - 2:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Can't say about "Asshat," but I do remember he was kinda "Rico Suave," like his stuff didn't stink, and had salt-and-pepper hair. Detroit's own Captain Stubing or whatever. One minute he was cool, the next he was a prick.

I got in trouble for throwing a copy of "Thriller" over board." Not kidding.

Eric_w
Username: Eric_w

Post Number: 65
Posted on Tuesday, March 20, 2007 - 10:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Remember Captain Bob-lo?His name was Joe Short. My folks knew him when they lived in the same apartment as he did before I was born.
Going there was always a hi-light of the summer for our family when I was a kid.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.