Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » I Just Adore Celeste Headlee « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 8567
Posted on Sunday, March 18, 2007 - 11:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm going to gush here...but during her most excellent Sunday morning entertainment show, Front Row Center, while interviewing Ira Glass from yet another great Public Radio show, This American Life, she let down her professional guard and started giggling with him about the eventualities if and when his television experiment comes to an end.

It was sheer music, poetry, the whole range of color and sound...all wrapped up in a series of laughs with one of her peers. Amazing the power of a giggle. They were clearly having a good time, for our pleasure.

This show has become tradition for me now...an absolute fixture to my Sunday mornings.

Thank you, Celeste, for your hard work...which you so clearly enjoy. Please, management-to-be, do NOT get in the way of this talented and gifted person's continual dawning on us here in Detroit.

Eleven O'clock, Sunday mornings, 101.9 on that low-def radio dial...along with her twice-Friday-morning warning of cool stuff to do around the city...keeping us up on culture to NOT miss...so abundantly available in our fair town that is not even her native space.

Perhaps that is a reason she is so good at it, she doesn't take it all for granted like the many of us.

(Message edited by Gannon on March 18, 2007)

Mikem
Username: Mikem

Post Number: 3193
Posted on Sunday, March 18, 2007 - 11:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

pics?

Gannon

Post Number: 8569
Posted on Sunday, March 18, 2007 - 11:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LOL, www.wdet.org.

Front page.

Yeah, she's a looker, too...but she's married.

Wait a minute...you are, too.

East_detroit
Username: East_detroit

Post Number: 1017
Posted on Sunday, March 18, 2007 - 11:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I like her work, too... unfortunately at the station she is known to be somewhat of a prima donna amongst some of the staff.

Gannon

Post Number: 8570
Posted on Sunday, March 18, 2007 - 12:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Perception. First ones are always hard to topple.

How many native Californians have you known? When I lived in LA, I thought every native was a prima donna...and was not alone in that perception with midwesterners there.

One of the doctor advisors/writers/directors for the show ER is from Montreal, and he ONLY invited midwesterners to his Hills parties because of his extreme lack of desire to socialize with the natives! I was lucky enough to get on his short list of curious midwesterners to invite.

It could be that...could be her professionalism...could even be something like shyness. Could be she is a prima dona, who knows, she might've learned that in Opera School...one of my old clients is one of the Opera's lead tenors, and he is not devoid of a great sense of self. Ahem.

Gifted and talented individuals that are set aside from an early age can have an attitude, some of them have earned and deserve it...as long as they don't injure anyone along the way!

Hell, I cannot COUNT the number of times people came around to admit to me that they initially thought me stuck up or stand-offish...when I was merely stuck in my shell, purely unable to find words to break the ice and find some commonality.

It is when I come OUT of it that they wish I'd go back in...I'd cut her some slack.

Milwaukee
Username: Milwaukee

Post Number: 1028
Posted on Sunday, March 18, 2007 - 12:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I haven't had the chance to hear her show, but I enjoy hearing national reports from her on Detroit. She sounds like a very good journalist. I'm a little jealous of you guys. I'm happy Milwaukee has a very good NPR station. Overall, how is Detroit's? I would think it would be a very strong station.

Gannon

Post Number: 8572
Posted on Sunday, March 18, 2007 - 1:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Used to be.

Needs some emergency work, stat!

We'll see how the next year runs. Be nice if they could finally find a leader...shame they will probably chose someone of the standard NPR mold. What I would give to see Allen Mazurek at the helm, but have NO idea if he even wants the job...he is a natural for it.

They still have most of the pieces, the previous fellow couldn't destroy it all, despite his and his advisor's seeming desire to do so.

Much as Oldredfordette hates Caryn Mathes, I yearn for the days when her sunny disposition was leading the crew there...it would be great to find another with such verve for life and respect for the institution's uniqueness...unlike any other NPR station that I've ever encountered.

Gannon

Post Number: 8573
Posted on Sunday, March 18, 2007 - 1:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Heya Milwaukee, you can catch it on their website, far as I know, for at least the next week.

I need to review that next segment after Ira Glass' on her show today, where she interviewed the fellow who gives the Purple Gang/Prohibition tours...I was JUST talking about him and the Gang with my best client/friend and his belle at dinner in Greektown the other night.

He's Jewish and originally from Philadelphia, and never knew there were vicious gangland Jews running around with machine guns during the first (alcohol) prohibition.

Milwaukee
Username: Milwaukee

Post Number: 1031
Posted on Sunday, March 18, 2007 - 4:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, I looked at the site it's pretty nice.

I was the biggest This American Life fan a couple years ago. It was a great show. I don't know, it doesn't have the same magic that it had. It hasn't been the same for 2 years. They may have been focusing on the TV show too much. Have you seen the show?

I'm a huge Terry Gross fan. Do you guys get Fresh Air? That's probably my favorite NPR show.

Life would be a lot harder without Morning edition and All things considered. That makes my commute much easier.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.