Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Suggestion: DetroitYES With Music « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 1726
Posted on Saturday, March 17, 2007 - 11:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Imagine reading these threads while listening to classic Motown or Detroit rock.

Earlier, Queek directed me to some tunes. The music surprisingly enhanced the experience of reading the threads here.

Lowell, would it be possible to provide a Detroit-related music loop for DetroitYES patrons while they're reading this forum? Other sites have done this successfully via http://www.shoutcast.com/.

It's just a suggestion but I'm sure it would add an important dimension to this great website.

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 2829
Posted on Sunday, March 18, 2007 - 12:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bluegrass for the hill billies among us.

Urbanize
Username: Urbanize

Post Number: 231
Posted on Sunday, March 18, 2007 - 12:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I vote for Classic Motown or some 70s Disco such as Scorpio or Joe Tex's hit during the 70s or Hamilton Bohannon, I can go on if y'all like. I think the 70s hit Scorpio would be the best music for the boards.

Beavis1981
Username: Beavis1981

Post Number: 355
Posted on Sunday, March 18, 2007 - 12:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hit the mute butten every time I check out www.wideopendetroit.com. Enough said. Dyes is a VERY diverse crowd I doubt a soundtrack could be found to please everyone.

6nois
Username: 6nois

Post Number: 109
Posted on Sunday, March 18, 2007 - 12:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't think this is a good idea. I would request some home grown techno though. But as Beavis said this is a diverse crowd so it would be hard to please everyone.

Psip
Username: Psip

Post Number: 1558
Posted on Sunday, March 18, 2007 - 12:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I listen to:
http://www.wrcj909fm.org/
I suggest you find a radio site that plays the music you like and listen to it.
Some people read DetroitYes on dial-up, why hog bandwidth with unnecessary frills.

Ptero
Username: Ptero

Post Number: 103
Posted on Sunday, March 18, 2007 - 12:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

for us luddites with dialup, music would be a stopper. It would take far too long to load. A great thing about DetroitYes is how quickly it loads. Keep it lean.

Scottr
Username: Scottr

Post Number: 427
Posted on Sunday, March 18, 2007 - 12:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

sufjan stevens 'michigan' album, in an endless loop! seems appropriate, particularly track 8.

but seriously, so many different kinds of music have come out of detroit, this would be a difficult task at best. i also agree with the load times - i don't particularly want it slowing down my broadband either. and, if it is done, do NOT let it start automatically. if i wanted that, i'd go browse through myspace.

Jimaz

Post Number: 1727
Posted on Sunday, March 18, 2007 - 12:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't click it if you don't want it? That's how it works elsewhere.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 3836
Posted on Sunday, March 18, 2007 - 12:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How about turning on that thingy in the corner of the room... your radio/CD Player! :-)

Jimaz

Post Number: 1728
Posted on Sunday, March 18, 2007 - 2:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It would be nice to have the option to hear a community DetroitYES audio channel. Magical things happen when many patrons contribute on the same narrowcast, voluntarily, versus being bound to isolated personal CD players without having a voice. Some might prefer that though. That's their free choice. :-)

East_detroit
Username: East_detroit

Post Number: 1015
Posted on Sunday, March 18, 2007 - 3:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Please loop LA Blues by the Stooges.

Thanks!

Ladyinabag
Username: Ladyinabag

Post Number: 108
Posted on Sunday, March 18, 2007 - 6:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How about "Swerve" from the "Hustle & Flow" CD? There are too many music preferences to do this. There would have to be a whole list of music types to choose from to satisfy all of the posters' tastes. Too expensive, I am sure.

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 1180
Posted on Sunday, March 18, 2007 - 8:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

How about turning on that thingy in the corner of the room... your radio/CD Player!

I just play cds on the computer while online.

quote:

Bluegrass for the hill billies among us

Bluegrass is cool and not just listened to by "hillbillies".

Ndavies
Username: Ndavies

Post Number: 2491
Posted on Sunday, March 18, 2007 - 10:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Are you willing to pay for this added service? With the new more expensive licensing fees for music it will become cost prohibitive to add music to websites. Look for some of the smaller sites to disappear or drop the music due to the new expensive licensing fees.

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 2835
Posted on Sunday, March 18, 2007 - 11:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm not at all interested, BTW. However, there is plenty of royalty-free music available. The last thing I would want is paying anything to the likes of Michael Jackson, Priscilla Presley, or Sir Paul McCartney for their music.

I can listen to tons of my favorite genres of music via Winamp and others w/o having to endure some music genre or two that I'm sure to not enjoy via DY.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.