Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » If you could live anywhere in Detroit... « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 432
Posted on Saturday, March 17, 2007 - 9:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

... where would you live?
Specifically, which neighborhood?

Scs100
Username: Scs100

Post Number: 620
Posted on Saturday, March 17, 2007 - 9:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's tough. I think I would say Brush Park.

Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 433
Posted on Saturday, March 17, 2007 - 9:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, Scs! Just moved my girlfriend into one of the condo buildings on Watson and Woodward and I LOVE those homes. So sad that almost all of them are gone. Can't afford most of the rehabbed ones, but man, are they ever gorgeous.

Scs100

Post Number: 621
Posted on Saturday, March 17, 2007 - 9:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Are there any more rehabs/continual projects scheduled for this summer? And I really envy you.

Softailrider
Username: Softailrider

Post Number: 19
Posted on Saturday, March 17, 2007 - 9:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd build myself a new house in Brightmore , on that vacant lot corner of Dolphin and Fenkell . Just so I could eat at that fish place all the time .

Kimistree
Username: Kimistree

Post Number: 6
Posted on Saturday, March 17, 2007 - 10:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is a hard one. I used to live downtown, and every time I go down there, I wish I lived there again. I didn't have a car at the time, but I worked downtown ,I walked everywhere, and I miss that.
I now live in EEV, I have kids, and I really like the neighborhood. It's quiet and the people are friendly. But....If I didn't have kids I would move downtown or to a loft in Wayne State.

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 1094
Posted on Saturday, March 17, 2007 - 10:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Scotty Simpsons!

I'd live where I do now, but I'd buy up all the other houses so they did not look like $h!t.

Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 436
Posted on Saturday, March 17, 2007 - 10:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Are there any more rehabs/continual projects scheduled for this summer? And I really envy you.

Don't envy me, man. Envy my lovely girlfriend.
I'm leaning toward a quasi-fixer-upper in Hubbard Farms right now, just because the community is so strong there. Never encountered anything like it in this city.

Scs100

Post Number: 622
Posted on Saturday, March 17, 2007 - 10:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I practically live in EEV right now. Half a block away from the border between the Pointes and Detroit.

Scs100

Post Number: 623

I'll envy someone.

Mayor_sekou
Username: Mayor_sekou

Post Number: 616
Posted on Saturday, March 17, 2007 - 10:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Id live in the condos on top of the Book Cadillac

GO GREEN!!! COMEBACK TIME!!!

Scs100

Post Number: 624
Posted on Saturday, March 17, 2007 - 10:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No. I need UNC to win to not kill my bracket.

Back to the thread:

The BC would also be an interesting choice. Although living in the David Whitney would also be fun. Great building that needs to be revamped.

Downtown_remix
Username: Downtown_remix

Post Number: 18
Posted on Saturday, March 17, 2007 - 10:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would buy a loft in eastern market, walk to get my groceries an house goods

Scottr
Username: Scottr

Post Number: 425
Posted on Saturday, March 17, 2007 - 10:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

top of the David Broderick tower, so i can watch the tigers games from home, or walk to them... plus everything else downtown.
or the book-cadillac, or almost anywhere else downtown.

Wishiniwasnthed
Username: Wishiniwasnthed

Post Number: 37
Posted on Sunday, March 18, 2007 - 10:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree with Scottr. The Broderick Tower Lofts would be great for the games and views of the entire city. In addition, the new residental developments on the east riverfront would be most interesting.

Homer
Username: Homer

Post Number: 121
Posted on Sunday, March 18, 2007 - 10:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

get a move on rawk, we are waiting for you here in HF..............

6nois
Username: 6nois

Post Number: 110
Posted on Sunday, March 18, 2007 - 10:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In the downtown area. Is hard to pinpoint a building I love them all.

Jjw
Username: Jjw

Post Number: 273
Posted on Sunday, March 18, 2007 - 10:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eastern Market area has fantastic potential

Kathinozarks
Username: Kathinozarks

Post Number: 284
Posted on Sunday, March 18, 2007 - 10:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Top floor of the old train station.

The main floor would have a market and cool restaurant that is affordable and healthy. A couple of neighborhood type bars, Shops with reasonably priced clothing, a Salon or two, a branch of the Post Office, a health club for residents and I would work at one of the places so that I wouldn't even have to have a car.

Alexei289
Username: Alexei289

Post Number: 1258
Posted on Sunday, March 18, 2007 - 12:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Indian village

Bostonedisonrocks
Username: Bostonedisonrocks

Post Number: 8
Posted on Sunday, March 18, 2007 - 12:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

BOSTON-EDISON HISTORIC DISTRICT - geographically, it is the center of the city -- with "still-affordable" homes that are like no others.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 2571
Posted on Sunday, March 18, 2007 - 12:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If I was to map out my life after graduation in Detroit it would probably go from midtown (north of Mack) to downtown or Brush Park to West Village to Indian Village. I'd really like to live in a lot of different places.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 8571
Posted on Sunday, March 18, 2007 - 12:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Exactly where I am now. Eastern Market.

I feel roots starting, for the very first time in my life. There is NOTHING like living in the Market...with the current cool shops and weekly visits by the farmers...and my favorite honey and maple syrup guys. The renovations will only improve things...as will the other developments happening this year and beyond.

Showed a friend where the Dequindre Cut runs, and can barely imagine how cool that will be to have a personal freeway to the river.

Butcher's opening brought yet another extremely cool spot to hang, Bert's is always a delight, Vivio's the neighborhood hub...then Joey's, always the best place to meet a cop or fireperson seemingly 24 hours a day. Oh yeah, and the fine folks at Zeff's Grille on Saturday mornings!

One mile from most cool stuff, two to Wayne State and Hart Plaza...and as I found out last night, a meager three and some change to the Gaelic League...so I can continue my desire to never burn petrol when recreating.

Dunno how I'm going to work it learning to sail on the lake, the marina is WAY over behind that Farmer Jack on Jefferson/Alter...might have to get some saddlebags for the old Cannondale hybrid.

I love this town.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 1232
Posted on Sunday, March 18, 2007 - 12:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Although I abandoned the city in '84, I still miss my beautiful home in Rosedale Park. But I sure don't miss the weather that went with it.

Dan
Username: Dan

Post Number: 1365
Posted on Sunday, March 18, 2007 - 1:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Penthouse of a restored Metropolitan building.

Jrich2425
Username: Jrich2425

Post Number: 2
Posted on Sunday, March 18, 2007 - 1:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've always liked 1001 Woodward. I'd love to live in the Campus Martius area.

Yelloweyes
Username: Yelloweyes

Post Number: 101
Posted on Sunday, March 18, 2007 - 1:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Live in EEV now.

Wouldn't mind one of those huge houses in Indian Village.

Bearinabox
Username: Bearinabox

Post Number: 127
Posted on Sunday, March 18, 2007 - 2:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've always loved Hamtramck for its walkability, diversity, and vitality, but parts of Islandview are very nice as well. Every time I go through Northend I think about how beautiful it still is and how breathtaking it could be with a little TLC, but in its current state I don't think I could live there.

Steelworker
Username: Steelworker

Post Number: 832
Posted on Sunday, March 18, 2007 - 2:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i would live top on broderick tower

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 3838
Posted on Sunday, March 18, 2007 - 3:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

On the top floor of a restored Whittier Building along the east riverfront... although the top of the Broderick Tower is a close second.

Fareastsider
Username: Fareastsider

Post Number: 241
Posted on Sunday, March 18, 2007 - 3:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There are many places in the city I would like to live....in particular I think it would be cool to have a house with a large lot on the west side along one of the parks or near the river where it backs up to some woods. I always though it would be cool to have a big forest in your backyard and still be able to say you live in Detroit!

Gistok

Post Number: 3840
Posted on Sunday, March 18, 2007 - 3:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There was one other place in Detroit I would love to live... that is as a neighbor to the Manoogian Mansion. No not next door, but about 6 or 7 mansions downriver... the one closest to the River House Apartment Building. That one looks like a cross between Gone-With-The-Winds "Tara" and George Washington's Mount Vernon. It has a huge property with lots of mature trees along the riverbank, and a large expanse of property along the side of the house nearest the River House Apts.

One could really enjoy the views of the river and Belle Isle, as well as many riparian entertainments!

Granmontrules
Username: Granmontrules

Post Number: 51
Posted on Sunday, March 18, 2007 - 3:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I love Granmont - when we are rich we might upgrade to Rosedale Park :-)

Terryh
Username: Terryh

Post Number: 225
Posted on Sunday, March 18, 2007 - 3:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Southwest in the Hispanic district which is filled with citizens who seem to take pride in their community. Some remodeling and re-building .I would feel comfortable in that community. I wouldn't mind Oakland Avenue (North End) because of the history of that section of the city and is next to New Center area

(Message edited by Terryh on March 18, 2007)

Barnesfoto
Username: Barnesfoto

Post Number: 3231
Posted on Sunday, March 18, 2007 - 3:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

jeez, looks like there's some competition for the top of the Broderick. Time-share, anyone?

Michmeister
Username: Michmeister

Post Number: 137
Posted on Sunday, March 18, 2007 - 4:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My first reaction was, on top of the B-C.Then I thought, too high up, too Ivory-Towerish. I would say in my old house on Whitcomb off of Fenkell. Oh how I long to touch, the green, green grass of home......

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 514
Posted on Sunday, March 18, 2007 - 4:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm a far west sider at heart, but I wouldn't mind living downtown on Merchants Row or in the Riverfront. I'm hoping to see some non-business hour foot traffic on the lower Woodward corridor when I visit during the warmer months.

"I love Granmont - when we are rich we might upgrade to Rosedale Park"

No disrespect, but do you purposely misspell Grandmont?

Fishtoes2000
Username: Fishtoes2000

Post Number: 184
Posted on Sunday, March 18, 2007 - 4:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Somewhere near the intersection of the Dequindre Cut and River Walk -- perhaps @water. I'd have plenty of cool running and biking opportunities. I'd have to buy a kayak to launch at Tri-Centennial. I could ride the Cut up to Eastern Market and wave at Gannon as he was riding to the river. :-)

Miss_cleo
Username: Miss_cleo

Post Number: 432
Posted on Sunday, March 18, 2007 - 4:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

many riparian entertainments!

do you watch *Keeping up Appearences*? lol!

Quinn
Username: Quinn

Post Number: 1199
Posted on Sunday, March 18, 2007 - 4:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Already live here BUT if I had my druthers, I might trade in our shack for a place in the 1001 Woodward Building (Old First Federal). That's great modernistic-copycat-almost-kin da-sorta architecture. I'd love the high ceilings, and floor to ceiling, panorama views of downtown and campus martius.

Our neighbor went through an open space a year ago...is anything happening with these condos? Anyone living there yet?

http://www.1001woodward.com/

Milwaukee
Username: Milwaukee

Post Number: 1033
Posted on Sunday, March 18, 2007 - 4:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The places at the Book Cadillac sound pretty darn nice. I wouldn't mind living in Brush Park in a renovated old house or in one of those new townhomes.

Stromberg2
Username: Stromberg2

Post Number: 12
Posted on Sunday, March 18, 2007 - 6:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Brush Park, smack dab in the middle of everything. Lafayette Park sounds cool, too.

Stromberg2

Detroit313
Username: Detroit313

Post Number: 298
Posted on Sunday, March 18, 2007 - 6:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would love to live, if it were built, in a medium rise condo on the old Uniroyal site. over looking the Detroit River, Belle Isle and Lake St. Clair.

Gistok

Post Number: 3844
Posted on Sunday, March 18, 2007 - 6:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Miss_cleo... you caught me!! That's where I picked up my all time favorite line... "I cannot stand people who think they are better than everyone else... it makes it so much harder for those of us who really are..." :-)

And then there's: "Richard... don't park next to Violet's new Mercedes... I think our car looks better when it's not parked next to her Mercedes..." and "how can you love an Onslow... he sings on coach trips..."

Jeff_of_dayton
Username: Jeff_of_dayton

Post Number: 7
Posted on Sunday, March 18, 2007 - 7:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From what I saw of the city.... if I had to move to Detroit.....a loft in the Eastern Market area, Lafayette Park would be nice but a bit too woodsy maybe, or a loft in downtown, Harmonie Park area.

I was also thinking Hamtramck could be interesting.

But yeah, that Eastern Market area is neat.

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 4814
Posted on Sunday, March 18, 2007 - 7:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wouldn't mind one of those swanky mega-mansion types in the Palmer Woods area- just for the square footage. They're big and have lots of character. But realistically I know for a fact I wouldn't want to try heating one of those places in the winter nor cooling one of them in the summer.

Some of those homes there are absolutely stunning and I like its proximity to the shopping as well as downtown. Talk about central to the metro Detroit area.

Zephyrprocess
Username: Zephyrprocess

Post Number: 277
Posted on Sunday, March 18, 2007 - 8:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm thinking a Harmonie Park loft (exact building unspecified) would be nice--extra nice if it managed a view of the ballpark

Detroitbill
Username: Detroitbill

Post Number: 182
Posted on Sunday, March 18, 2007 - 10:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Living in Lafayette Park, way up in the sky (24th floor) and love it, and would do it again. Everything I go to downtown, ( Greektown, Ballparks, Fox, Campus Martius, Eastern Market) I walk to. It doesnt get any better for me. The views of the city and up I-75 particularily at night are awesome. I watch the fireworks at the ballgames from my living room.

Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 438
Posted on Monday, March 19, 2007 - 2:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

BOSTON-EDISON HISTORIC DISTRICT - geographically, it is the center of the city -- with "still-affordable" homes that are like no others.

But when 90% of your population is going to die in 10 years and homes not selling, I am really worried that we'll see a lot of abandoned and run-down homes in B-E in the next 10-15 years. A shame because a lot of those homes are simply gorgeous. The only saving grace: A LOT more middle-class families move to the D.

And Homer, I have my eye on one place on Vinewood, but it needs some work and I have to make sure I can get my finances in order. That and I'm a tad worried about the neighbors: broken windows (but not abandoned). Nobody on the HF forum knows them.
I also have to find a kitchen remodeling expert because its kitchen is uber-tiny, and being a bachelor, I need a dishwasher among other amenities. :-)

Exmotowner
Username: Exmotowner

Post Number: 124
Posted on Monday, March 19, 2007 - 6:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't know how it looks now a days, but my favorite street has always been Virginia Park. The homes when I left though were all boarded up.

Miss_cleo
Username: Miss_cleo

Post Number: 433
Posted on Monday, March 19, 2007 - 7:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gistok, I LOVE that show! My husband doesnt get it, but I sure get a giggle from it!

Stryker81
Username: Stryker81

Post Number: 27
Posted on Monday, March 19, 2007 - 10:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would start in EEV and maybe later move to Indian Village if I could afford to do so.

Waxx
Username: Waxx

Post Number: 89
Posted on Monday, March 19, 2007 - 10:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm (obviously) new to this thread, so I'll say this. THE first area I'd move to (if I had the money) would be on W. 7 Mile between Woodward and Wyoming (Sherwood Forest/University District/Palmer Woods/Y'all get the idea)-that area is off the hook-anywhere else, Grandmont-Rosedale, Old Redford, West Parkway, Woodbridge,
EEV, Victoria Park, Balduck Park (Copland as some would call it), Indian as well as West Village. I'll even consider some areas on the outskirts of/in Downtown. I am considering checking out some of those apts. in the Chene-Lafayette-Larned-St. Aubin area. And that's just IN the city! And another area would be La Salle Blvd. between Gd. Blvd and Central HS as well as some SWD* streets between Schaefer and Outer Drive (River Rouge/Ecorse area). Not to mention the New Center Area.

*Southwest Detroit (in case you didn't know)

Swiburn
Username: Swiburn

Post Number: 74
Posted on Monday, March 19, 2007 - 10:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd have one of the top floors of the Marriott remodeled just for myself, (with my private elevator key) and then I could look at the river and the boats, etc. This is if money is no object.

Crew
Username: Crew

Post Number: 1140
Posted on Monday, March 19, 2007 - 11:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In a van down by the river.

Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 445
Posted on Monday, March 19, 2007 - 12:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I live on the border of Va. Park and New Center, Exmotowner. And let me tell ya, the homes are gorgeous. The west side of Woodward is, anyway. East side is still kinda rough. But there's only one boarded up foreclosure on Va. Park between Woodward and the Lodge, and it's not in bad shape, just bank-owned.

Island
Username: Island

Post Number: 28
Posted on Monday, March 19, 2007 - 1:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Crew- good one! (My favorite Matt Foley: "kindly shut your flanhole")

Corktownmark
Username: Corktownmark

Post Number: 278
Posted on Monday, March 19, 2007 - 1:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It would have to be a gated community with 24 hour security. The entrance would need a large ornate gate with camaras everywhere. The area would have to be very exlusive and only the 'best' would be eligible to enter.
Ha Ha Ha -- There are so many great places to live in Detroit if I could I would have a place in all of them -- Mark

Roomseller
Username: Roomseller

Post Number: 15
Posted on Monday, March 19, 2007 - 1:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

would have to be downtown or the riverfront highrises (name escapes me).

I grew up in Delray, anyone seen it lately? What a shame, it looks like Baghdad. Makes me want to cry.

I remember my dad taking me to the Soltez (sic) bar, I'd stand on a milk carton playing shuffleboard with the Zug Island guys drinking beer at 8am. They'd teach me curse words in Hungarian, Polish, (whatever) then slip me dollar bills. I was the richest kid on the block.

As Ray Liotta says near the end of "Goodfellas" "...and now it's all over..." or something like that.

You can take the punk out of Detroit but can't take Detroit out of the punk

Carolcb
Username: Carolcb

Post Number: 256
Posted on Monday, March 19, 2007 - 1:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would buy one of those big houses in Indian Village because I want them to still be there 100 years from now. As soon as my ship comes in.

Bussey
Username: Bussey

Post Number: 497
Posted on Monday, March 19, 2007 - 1:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bunkers on the roof with 50 cals and hand grenades. Razor Wire fence surrounding the drawbridge and moat. Alligators in the moat and mines in the front yard with my pack of rottweilers in the back.

lol

Seriously though, one of the Big penthouses in the Book Caddy would be best.

Gannon

Post Number: 8578
Posted on Monday, March 19, 2007 - 2:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As long as we're dreaming BEYOND our current dream-life here...I'd rather have also a few lots that I urban farm enough to feed everyone in my building, with some surplus to peddle to the better restaurants and shops in the Eastern Market.

Keep some grass-eating cows and goats and sheep and chickens in a mobile pen that could rotate through all of the city's urban prairie lots so THEY don't have to spend money and burn petrol keeping the grass at bay. Some lots away from high-traffic areas we'd let go to hay to prepare for wintertime.

From them, I'd have "organic" dairy products, eggs, etc for my coffee house chain and perhaps enough to sell in the Market, and the occasional animal culled for meat.

My loft will be able to run completely off-the-grid, indeed the whole complex would be lock-downable in the event of another series of civil unrests or worse.

Think Gannon's "Organic"-transcendant Urban Neo-Luddite Dreamland Compound, and you're close.

Heh, man that's some good caffeine.

Gistok

Post Number: 3851
Posted on Monday, March 19, 2007 - 3:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gannon's thinking "Oliver Douglas in Hooterville & Pixley" today... while many of the rest of us "adore a penthouse view"... :-)

Gannon

Post Number: 8585
Posted on Monday, March 19, 2007 - 3:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One of us realizes that living without electricity CAN occur at ground level.

Even a temporary loss of elevator service makes anything higher than the fourth floor untenable.

Just ask the folks at Trolley Plaza.

When I lived on the seventh floor of the Park Shelton, the elevators failed a number of times during the summer months...this was WAY back about twenty years ago now...but that lesson will NOT be forgotten.

I will NOT climb a pole to use the phone, though...but the women of Hooterville were gorgeous.

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 1733
Posted on Monday, March 19, 2007 - 3:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd like to apply for the Arnold Ziffel role. He always had the best lines.

Arnold

Bearinabox
Username: Bearinabox

Post Number: 129
Posted on Monday, March 19, 2007 - 3:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Damn, these parallel topics are confusing...

Revolutionary
Username: Revolutionary

Post Number: 118
Posted on Monday, March 19, 2007 - 4:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hamtramck if you're into actual walkable neighborhoods.

Exmotowner
Username: Exmotowner

Post Number: 125
Posted on Monday, March 19, 2007 - 4:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rhymeswithrawk thanks for the info! I will be checking it out when I come up for memorial day. Im sure they are beautiful. I love that street.

Johnnny5
Username: Johnnny5

Post Number: 461
Posted on Monday, March 19, 2007 - 4:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not exactly a neighborhood, but I'd love to have the old Detroit Boat Club building as a private residence. I'm not exactly a big fan of neighbors =)

Beadgrl
Username: Beadgrl

Post Number: 123
Posted on Monday, March 19, 2007 - 5:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rosedale Park. Gorgeous homes. But where would you shop? Groceries and gas? Household items?

I need my Target and my Kroger!

Gistok

Post Number: 3852
Posted on Monday, March 19, 2007 - 5:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bearinabox, you must be too young to have seen the Green Acres comedy show (1960's with Eddie Albert and Eva Gabor)... but it is still in syndication.

After all these years Gannon is still lusting after Doris Ziffel and Ralph Monroe (the female Monroe Brother)...

(Message edited by Gistok on March 19, 2007)

Jelk
Username: Jelk

Post Number: 4249
Posted on Monday, March 19, 2007 - 5:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Some mornings I wake up and say Pittsburgh.

Gannon

Post Number: 8590
Posted on Monday, March 19, 2007 - 5:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You've GOT to find women with normal names, Jelk.

Chuckling at Gistok...nailed me. Damn.

Bunkster
Username: Bunkster

Post Number: 4
Posted on Monday, March 19, 2007 - 5:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

1.)The Whitney
2.) Along the water near mayor

3.) OK don't shoot me but if they ever built on Belle Isle I'd........

Gannon

Post Number: 8592
Posted on Monday, March 19, 2007 - 6:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why wait for them to build? The albino deer are all herded up and caged...it'd make a KILLER camping hideaway.

Bulletmagnet
Username: Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 109
Posted on Monday, March 19, 2007 - 6:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

here:
http://farm1.static.flickr.com /151/427333873_724fdf1931_b.jp g
or here:
http://farm1.static.flickr.com /153/427333864_f6994f2ed1_b.jp g

Jrvass
Username: Jrvass

Post Number: 45
Posted on Monday, March 19, 2007 - 7:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyplace? I'll pick 2 I know and one I don't.

1. My Gr. Grandfather's old place on Lowell Dr. in Palmer Woods. Huge basement, sunroom, living room, foyer, dining room, pantry, kitchen, breakfast room, and back porch. 2nd floor had 4 bedrooms and a library. 3rd floor had 3 bedrooms and storage. 3 car garage with gasoline storage tank below ground and gas pump. 2nd floor of garage was the sleeping quarters for the servants. Heated, of course! ;^)

2. Grandpa's River House Condo. Watch the freighters pass by or watch your boat in the adjacent marina. Put on your coat & tie and head on over to Joe Muer's on Gratiot for seafood! (Well, when they were open... back then.)

3. A nice little 10,000 sq ft bungalow on the river. Put a fence around it and cedars to screen out my view of the "riff-raff", like the mayor!

I'm just a Lotto ticket away...

James

(Message edited by jrvass on March 19, 2007)

Savannahsmiles
Username: Savannahsmiles

Post Number: 13
Posted on Monday, March 19, 2007 - 7:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Roomseller, I did some time in Delray in the 80's. The place looked like hell but for the most part, the people were okay. Of course there were exceptions, but some of the very ones I didn't trust at first ended up being the best neighbors. Do you remember Rick's Bar? It was a dump but I knew a lot of folks who frequented that place.

Corktowner
Username: Corktowner

Post Number: 2
Posted on Monday, March 19, 2007 - 7:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For me it's Corktown, where I live now. It's a small neighborhood with some fantastic architecture. There are many blight issues, like that awful eyesore Michigan Central railroad station. I have also lived in Rosedale Park and Littlefield (around Fenkell and Wyoming), and spent 17 years in Chicago's East Lakeview neighborhood, unofficially known as boystown. While Chicago is a great city, so is Detroit. For the most part the residents of Detroit are a more friendly, outgoing and realistic. In Chicago, much of what is wrong is never brought to the residents attention unless you live in upscale neighborhoods such as the Gold Coast & Lincoln Park. Crime does not get the same type of coverage we get in Detroit from the local media. There is a lot which needs to be done here. I am trying to do my part. "If you're not part of the solution, you are part of the problem."

Cman710
Username: Cman710

Post Number: 263
Posted on Monday, March 19, 2007 - 7:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Roomseller and Savannahsmiles,

Have you seen our Delray thread? You can find a lot of interesting discussion from a few months ago, as well as some pictures.

https://www.atdetroit.net/forum/mes sages/6790/89343.html?11696789 16

Beavis1981
Username: Beavis1981

Post Number: 384
Posted on Monday, March 19, 2007 - 7:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Corktown expect the rustling of pitchforks and torches to be headed your way soon.

Corktowner

Post Number: 4
Posted on Monday, March 19, 2007 - 8:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Beavis1981, what are you talking about?

Savannahsmiles

Post Number: 18
Posted on Monday, March 19, 2007 - 9:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cman, I saw it and enjoyed it very much. :-)

Corktowner, is Rosa Parks Blvd considered Corktown, and if so, do you know if Spaulding Court is still inhabited? I would love to see it again. I lived there when I was a kid, with my dad. Two of my brothers lived there in diff apts as well.

Corktownmark
Username: Corktownmark

Post Number: 279
Posted on Monday, March 19, 2007 - 9:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^^^
might be my comment about wanting a 'secure' area earlier my corktown brother. BTW was great hanging out on st Paddy's day with you and everybody.

Corktowner

Post Number: 7
Posted on Monday, March 19, 2007 - 9:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Savannahsmiles, Rosa Parks south of I-75 is Corktown, North of I-75 is North Corktown. The Spaulding Court indeed still stands, however it is not the way you probably remember. There is talk of drugs and it has not been kept up.

Corktowner

Post Number: 8
Posted on Monday, March 19, 2007 - 9:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey neighbor, I had a great time St. Pat's day with my friends and family. I'm just sorry I couldn't stay longer at the MBS. When I got to work, OMG, what mayhem. We ended up locking the doors at 11:30p because we started getting the rejects from other bars. The folks in the club were allowed to stay to 2a, but if they left the building, they were not permitted back in. Still over all a very good night for the league.

Tigers2005
Username: Tigers2005

Post Number: 111
Posted on Monday, March 19, 2007 - 9:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

1. The Manoogian Mansion
2. Boston-Edison on Boston just west of Woodward
3. Harmony Park Loft
4. Corktown
5. Merchants Row
6. New east riverfront condos
7. Riverfront Condos (for the marina and DPM station)
8. Sherwood Forest
9. N. Rosedale Park
10. Atop the Book-Caddy
11. The Griswold

Savannahsmiles

Post Number: 19
Posted on Monday, March 19, 2007 - 10:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you, Corktowner. I am sorry to hear that. When I was there last, it was nicely kept and there was no riff-raff living there. Sad.

Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 453
Posted on Monday, March 19, 2007 - 10:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

here:
http://farm1.static.flickr.com /151/427333873_724fdf1931_b.jp g
or here:
http://farm1.static.flickr.com /153/427333864_f6994f2ed1_b.jp g

Think you posted the wrong links, Bullet.
Unless, of course, you were just trying to be a jackass. :-)

Eastside_charlie
Username: Eastside_charlie

Post Number: 29
Posted on Monday, March 19, 2007 - 10:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

dearborn, cause it would make me feel like
um like i was living in the mid east.

Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 455
Posted on Monday, March 19, 2007 - 10:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dearborn isn't Detroit.

<i>I would say in my old house on Whitcomb off of Fenkell. Oh how I long to touch, the green, green grass of home...>/i>

Is the home still standing? Is it inhabited? Maybe the owners would be willing to sell? :-)
Me? You could not pay me to return to the homes in the towns I grew up in: Farmington Hills and Milford. :: shudder::

Corktowner

Post Number: 10
Posted on Monday, March 19, 2007 - 10:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't give up hope Savannahsmiles. North Corktown is prime for re-development. The new Motor City Casino Hotel may give an added boost or incentive to invest in the neighborhood it abuts. There are some beautiful houses still standing, and some of them are being rehabbed.

Beavis1981
Username: Beavis1981

Post Number: 391
Posted on Monday, March 19, 2007 - 11:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You spoke ill of the MCS I guess nobody noticed.

Gannon

Post Number: 8606
Posted on Monday, March 19, 2007 - 11:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Heh, if TRUTH brings persecution, I'll stand by his side and take it with him.

That place is an embarrassment, Maround should be forced to pay off the city's debt because of it...and give us the bridge title, too.

That WAS a typo, but I kinda like the 'd' added to his name...might make it 'ed' and turn it into a verb. You are nobody until your name becomes a verb.

Downtown_remix
Username: Downtown_remix

Post Number: 31
Posted on Monday, March 19, 2007 - 11:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Im moving on the top floor of the MGM CASINO HOTEL.

Johnnny5

Post Number: 462
Posted on Tuesday, March 20, 2007 - 7:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Rymeswith what's up with the harsh talk about Milford?

Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 470
Posted on Tuesday, March 20, 2007 - 7:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I spent my formative years there, graduated from there. Hated that town. Still do. In fact, it's even worse now than it was back in the late '80s and early '90s.

Rjlj
Username: Rjlj

Post Number: 291
Posted on Tuesday, March 20, 2007 - 8:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Please vote in the poll I created. Yes, A lot of places were left out but please vote. You know you want ot live here, now where?

http://snappoll.com/poll/17993 7.php

Rjlj

Post Number: 292
Posted on Wednesday, March 21, 2007 - 11:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Please participate in my poll.
VV

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 4845
Posted on Wednesday, March 21, 2007 - 11:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does living on the Windsor waterfront count in this query at all? I've always loved the view of the Detroit skyline from over there.

Kamesan
Username: Kamesan

Post Number: 3
Posted on Wednesday, March 21, 2007 - 12:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I spent my younger years on South Hill Road in Milford... even lived above the Red Dog before they moved it from Main Street... I miss the old days when it was a little town. We used to ride our bikes all over the trails where Heritage Hills now resides. Moved to Pinckney to get away from the big-little town, but now the same is happening to P-town. Ah well, I love living downtown D now anyhow. Tastes change.

Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 479
Posted on Wednesday, March 21, 2007 - 1:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you haven't been back to Milford in the last few years, you'll be stunned. People have built houses everywhere, even on top old gravel pits. We used to have one McDonald's. Now there's a slew of 'em. The bowling alley was torn down for a strip mall. All very sickening. I wasn't a huge fan of it when it was a small town, but the sprawling of it has made it even worse.

Rjlj

Post Number: 293
Posted on Wednesday, March 21, 2007 - 5:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't forget to vote on where you would want to live in Detroit.
VV

Homer
Username: Homer

Post Number: 125
Posted on Wednesday, March 21, 2007 - 6:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Hotel Yorba once the planned complete renovation is finished. Condo/Lofts

Viziondetroit
Username: Viziondetroit

Post Number: 1038
Posted on Wednesday, March 21, 2007 - 6:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

North Rosedale park where I grew up

Jrvass
Username: Jrvass

Post Number: 48
Posted on Wednesday, March 21, 2007 - 6:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kamesan,

You aren't too far from Hell. That is pretty small! ;^)

James

Dede313
Username: Dede313

Post Number: 15
Posted on Wednesday, March 21, 2007 - 9:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Downtown

Rjlj

Post Number: 295
Posted on Wednesday, March 21, 2007 - 11:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, but where? Do you have an opinion?

VV

Johnnny5

Post Number: 463
Posted on Thursday, March 22, 2007 - 11:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not to change the subject of the thread, but there is still only one McDonalds in Milford, in the same location for about 25 years.

Rjlj

Post Number: 296
Posted on Thursday, March 22, 2007 - 5:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.