Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Groundbreaking Mar 21 WSU's S. Village « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Emu_steve
Username: Emu_steve

Post Number: 177
Posted on Saturday, March 17, 2007 - 9:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wonder when they will break ground for any of their other major new buildings being funded by their Capital Campaign?

Hans57
Username: Hans57

Post Number: 50
Posted on Saturday, March 17, 2007 - 10:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Are you saying that the official ground breaking is on the 21st of March? Which other projects are you speaking of?

Emu_steve

Post Number: 178
Posted on Saturday, March 17, 2007 - 1:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wayne's website (www.wayne.edu) has the announcement for the OFFICIAL ground breaking and time.

(UPDATE: I can't find the page now. It was on the front page of the web site - the groundbreaking was listed as March 21 at 3:30pm - even had a RSVP link).

Wonder when WSU will break ground for their new Bus Ad. bldg.????

The Bus. Ad. bldg. will take up another block on westside of Woodward by Palmer.

Wayne is doing its part to eat up empty blocks facing Woodward.

(Message edited by emu_steve on March 17, 2007)

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 2570
Posted on Saturday, March 17, 2007 - 1:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well said, Emu_steve. I can't wait to see the results of South Village and the new B school. The fact that Wayne is engaging in this sort of upbuilding and making the area more of a college town in making the option of living there for law school more appealing to me, even if none of this directly affects the law school.

Downtown_remix
Username: Downtown_remix

Post Number: 11
Posted on Saturday, March 17, 2007 - 2:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This development is amazing

Detroit313
Username: Detroit313

Post Number: 297
Posted on Saturday, March 17, 2007 - 2:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wayne is doing a great job with development in the midtown district. When Detroit starts to catch its stride again, Wayne is really going to be a awesome place to be. 313

Mbr
Username: Mbr

Post Number: 103
Posted on Saturday, March 17, 2007 - 4:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Keep refreshing the wayne.edu site, it is one of three backgrounds they are using on the main page so you have to scroll through the other ones to find it.

Eric
Username: Eric

Post Number: 709
Posted on Saturday, March 17, 2007 - 6:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is construction actually going to start afterward? I can remember many times where there was big gap between ground breaking and the start of real construction work.

Belleislerunner
Username: Belleislerunner

Post Number: 292
Posted on Saturday, March 17, 2007 - 6:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They are making another parking lot soon to make up for it... =)

Though this has been a long time in the works and will be redeveloped.

http://www.bog.wayne.edu/meeti ngs/2007/03-21/budgetfinance03 07_itemv.pdf

Mbr
Username: Mbr

Post Number: 104
Posted on Saturday, March 17, 2007 - 7:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Usually that "big gap" from groundbreaking to actual development is at condo sites when they use the event in order to increase sales and meet their bank financing requirements. This is a rental development so it won't need to meet such requirements.

Rocket_city
Username: Rocket_city

Post Number: 195
Posted on Saturday, March 17, 2007 - 8:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

...or it could be the Rosa Parks Transit Center or the Port Authority Terminal, or the Tricentennial State Park, or...or...or... ;)

I know, I know...part of the TSP has already been built.

Leland_palmer
Username: Leland_palmer

Post Number: 250
Posted on Saturday, March 17, 2007 - 8:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I ran across the RFP for those of you that are interested in these sort of things.

http://www.taktixsolutions.com /WSU%20RFQP%203-8-06%20FINAL.p df

(Message edited by leland_palmer on March 17, 2007)

Emu_steve

Post Number: 179
Posted on Saturday, March 17, 2007 - 9:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

------------------------------ ------------------------------ --------------------
"Well said, Emu_steve. I can't wait to see the results of South Village and the new B school. The fact that Wayne is engaging in this sort of upbuilding and making the area more of a college town in making the option of living there for law school more appealing to me, even if none of this directly affects the law school."

What I like about these projects is that they are WOODWARD AVE. projects as compared to some obscure block on the periphery of campus.

Everyone driving up and down Woodward will see them.

The B school will be awesome. I saw the images on the B schools website area. Awesome!!

BTW, what is located in the next block south of the S. University project on Woodward???

Apbest
Username: Apbest

Post Number: 483
Posted on Sunday, March 18, 2007 - 11:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

are you talking at Willis? That will be UCCA's WoodwardWillis mixed use 4-5story (dont remember which) project

Rocket_city
Username: Rocket_city

Post Number: 198
Posted on Sunday, March 18, 2007 - 4:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yah, I don't know if it has a name. You can see it on the following page, about half way down.

http://detroitmidtown.com/05/d evelop_projects_medical.php?ms ub=5

Here's a larger rendering:
http://www.detroitrising.com/images/woodwardwillis.jpg

(Message edited by Rocket City on March 18, 2007)

English
Username: English

Post Number: 524
Posted on Sunday, March 18, 2007 - 5:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great, Wayne State! So proud of my alma mater! I lived in University Tower for four years and loved it, especially when we had our original building manager and the place was well-maintained. (When he retired, the place went to pot... hope they've gotten it back together.) You could see the Thanksgiving parade from my apartment window. I was a regular at Agave back when it first opened, and Union Street and the Majestic complex were also within walking distance. So was Dally in the Alley and the Arts Festival... so were the museums. It was a very busy time in my life, as I had a full-time teaching position and was working on my master's full time, but it was a happy time, too.

Midtown is the best place to live in the city, if you ask me. It's centrally located to all freeways, it's walkable, and in the summer my friends and I could be downtown in 15 minutes on foot for the fireworks. It's the only area I'd consider moving back to.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 3843
Posted on Sunday, March 18, 2007 - 6:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I like this design better than I do the @Water designs. But that's just me...

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 2572
Posted on Sunday, March 18, 2007 - 7:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Belleislerunner,

The parking lot that will go in there is only temporary, as they intend to seek a new development there, or else you'd have an entire block of parking lots. The loss of that building is really no big thing. It sounds like it was substandard, anyway.

Username: 1805

Post Number: 11
Posted on Sunday, March 18, 2007 - 8:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I asked already on another thread, but does anyone know what the future holds for the Whitney's surface lot on Woodward? In renderings put out by Wayne State there's a future phase of South Village on that site, but as far as I know the Whitney's new owners had planned to spruce up the lot. Anyone know?

Eric
Username: Eric

Post Number: 713
Posted on Sunday, March 18, 2007 - 9:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just a concept, artistic license from the architect. Check out the project's RFP that leland palmer posted

Page: 14
In 2002, PAPAGEORGE/HAYMES, a Chicago based architectural firm, was commissioned to create an initial design concept for the Woodward Frontage Site that would complement the architectural character of the neighborhood.

(Message edited by eric on March 19, 2007)

Crew
Username: Crew

Post Number: 1141
Posted on Monday, March 19, 2007 - 11:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

1805, I'm mot sure which rendering you're talking about. The parking lot that the new owner of The Whitney was discussing is on the opposite site of Woodward across from the restaurant. I do see though on one of the WSU rendering where it looks like a building is on that site. It also looks like the JVS building is either remodeled or replaced. I doubt the JVS building is going anywhere since WSU-SOM has a long term lease on much of that building.

Post Number: 12
Posted on Monday, March 19, 2007 - 3:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, Crew, that's precisely the lot I'm referring to (across Woodward from the Whitney). Is it possible that WSU could buy the lot from the Whitney and allocate them parking in the new structure behind South Village?? That'd be great consolidation -- something we need more of.

Crew

Post Number: 1147
Posted on Monday, March 19, 2007 - 3:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't think there are any plans for that lot except as previously announced by The Whitney. The architects who drew up the plans for WSU took an artistic license to imagine something in that space. As I said, the JVS building is not being knocked down anytime soon.

Post Number: 13
Posted on Monday, March 19, 2007 - 3:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eh, I kind of figured that as well.

Psh!... artistic licenses. If you're REALLY going to take artistic license why not put a 1800ft space needle in the middle of Woodward? That'd be neat!

(Message edited by 1805 on March 19, 2007)

Crew

Post Number: 1148
Posted on Monday, March 19, 2007 - 3:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You are free to do so. :-)

Diesel
Username: Diesel

Post Number: 3
Posted on Monday, March 19, 2007 - 4:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I couldn't find an address for this new project. Where is it located or is there another discussion involving this project?

Thanks!

Post Number: 15
Posted on Monday, March 19, 2007 - 4:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Diesel,

http://www.taktixsolutions.com /Development.htm

Diesel
Username: Diesel

Post Number: 4
Posted on Monday, March 19, 2007 - 4:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks!

This will be a great addition to Woodward when it's complete. I'm sure they are building the parking deck first.

Emu_steve

Post Number: 180
Posted on Tuesday, March 20, 2007 - 1:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.media.wayne.edu/rel ease.php?id=2529

This is the March 19th PR.

It discusses phase I and II (which would be another building west of Whitneys).

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.