Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Meetups « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Nyburgher
Username: Nyburgher

Post Number: 126
Posted on Friday, March 16, 2007 - 7:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I guess by now you know me as the guy who has never been in Detroit. I moved to Pittsburgh from NY, where i originally lived in an Irish neighborhood called Woodside. Then I made a good investment in India. (no I aint rich partly cause I didn't have the nerve to play my hunch to the limit)

The some total of this is that one of the main things that interests me about Detroit is it's Diaspora. All of the places I mentioned - Ireland, India and Pittsburgh once lost huge numbers of their best people and had a big "poor little me factor going on." So i think that this Forum and stuff like it could actually become one of the biggest factors in making a great Detroit.

What I was wondering is if you guys do organised meetups and if you have ones in different cities or anything-- Detroit Nation in L.A. or stuff like that. I was also wondering if the mayor or other players in city government have ever tried to reach out to the Diaspora.That doesn't happen in Pittsburgh at all.

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 1715
Posted on Friday, March 16, 2007 - 8:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Search for FSC (Forum Social Club).
Welcome!

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 2080
Posted on Friday, March 16, 2007 - 8:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No need to search: https://www.atdetroit.net/forum/mes sages/10041/93017.html?1174078 162

It's totally informal...nothing organized about it except that a local bar/pub is designated to gather on a given night. Sometimes only a couple people show up, sometimes a dozen, sometimes more.

Nyburgher
Username: Nyburgher

Post Number: 127
Posted on Friday, March 16, 2007 - 8:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cool, I sort of was slightly aware of the Detroit Meetups. I was wondering if there were ones for people who live out of town and if anyone has thought of doing one or two giant ones a year.

To be blunt about it. More than a few of Detroits children have made good and a lot of them have left the area so to an extent that's where the money is. Also these people are more likely to see things from a different angle and have different thoughts about the city that could help.

The second question I had was about how the local government and powers in Detroit has reacted to this thing. Are they trying to connect the city to the world or not. The sad feeling i get in Pittsburgh is that it's a closed club.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.