Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Old restaurants « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Buyamerican
Username: Buyamerican

Post Number: 6
Posted on Thursday, March 15, 2007 - 10:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hope everyone can open this, it's a neat site.

http://www.waterwinterwonderla nd.com/restaurants.asp

Urbanize
Username: Urbanize

Post Number: 167
Posted on Friday, March 16, 2007 - 11:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have frequent this site. They have old pictures of the Bel-Air Drive in and stuff too.

Kenp
Username: Kenp

Post Number: 297
Posted on Friday, March 16, 2007 - 11:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That brought back some memories. I have not thought of Teds in years.
I used to go to the Dairy Been a lot, I think its still open on 59.
Does anyone remember the Richardsons Farm Dairy stores. My cousin owned those.

3rdworldcity
Username: 3rdworldcity

Post Number: 548
Posted on Friday, March 16, 2007 - 2:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can't believe how many of those places I've been to; probably at least 20.

Some friends and I almost bought the Embers in Mt. Pleasant in the mid-60's. That was a great restaurant.

Anyone remember that drive-in chain that featured the "California Burger?" It was a 2-hamburger patty burger that was very popular in the late '50s, early '60's.

Jman
Username: Jman

Post Number: 30
Posted on Friday, March 16, 2007 - 4:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The California Twin Burger? That was Richards Drive-In. There was one on 8 Mile and Greenfield and one on Woodward between 13 and 14 Mile.

3rdworldcity

Post Number: 553
Posted on Friday, March 16, 2007 - 5:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jman: Thanks. Couldn't remember and it was driving me crazy. Curb service was fast. I think Richard's preceeded Big Boy.

Buyamerican

Post Number: 8
Posted on Friday, March 16, 2007 - 6:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone hang out at Cupids Drive-In on Warren and Conner?

Everydayislikesunday
Username: Everydayislikesunday

Post Number: 312
Posted on Friday, March 16, 2007 - 6:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the embers is still up and running. it's the only decent restaurant in mount pleasant.

3rdworldcity

Post Number: 554
Posted on Friday, March 16, 2007 - 10:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks. It's been years since I've been up there.

Gtat44
Username: Gtat44

Post Number: 64
Posted on Sunday, March 18, 2007 - 7:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone remember Stouffer's at Eastland? This was before it being enclosed. I think there was also one near Northland also. Where did they originate and where have they gone? I used go there as a child. Always seemed to me it was an "old people" restaurant back then.

Ja1mz
Username: Ja1mz

Post Number: 18
Posted on Sunday, March 18, 2007 - 8:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes I remember going to Stouffer's at Eastland as a child, It was already enclosed when I was small. I do remember my Dad saying he shopped there when it first opened and he said there was a Kroger there at one time(late '50's)

Gtat44

Post Number: 65
Posted on Sunday, March 18, 2007 - 8:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, Kroger's was on the Notre Dame side, I think close to the Kelly Rd. side of the mall. Haven't been there in years, but I think it's entrance was where Kohl's is or was.

Jimg
Username: Jimg

Post Number: 803
Posted on Sunday, March 18, 2007 - 10:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dined at Stouffer's at Northland many times as a child...I remember they had really good ice cream-puff desserts, and looking out the window onto a fancy small pool complete with colored lights and a designer water spray kinda thing...

Miss_cleo
Username: Miss_cleo

Post Number: 431
Posted on Sunday, March 18, 2007 - 10:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dons Driv-in in Traverse City has the best chocolate malts in the world.

When I was on my honeymoon in '87, we ate at a place called the Embers in TC, its gone now, but it looked like (the sign) the one in Mt Pleasent. Anyone know if they tried to run a resturant up here in the north?

(Message edited by miss cleo on March 18, 2007)

Chuckles
Username: Chuckles

Post Number: 49
Posted on Sunday, March 18, 2007 - 11:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

BuyAmerican, fantastic website, thanks for the link....been to a lot of those resturants.

regards

Buyamerican

Post Number: 9
Posted on Sunday, March 18, 2007 - 11:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Glad everyone enjoyed the site. I certainly did. Still, some of the more memorable restaurants and drive-ins are not listed, too bad because there were many many more of them with great memories.

Ja1mz

Post Number: 19
Posted on Sunday, March 18, 2007 - 11:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gta4cafeteria?..I know there was grill/lunch area in the Kresge.

Ja1mz

Post Number: 20
Posted on Sunday, March 18, 2007 - 11:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gta44-Do you remember there was a Sanders and a Kresge also in Eastland? If memory serves, there was a lower level at Sanders with a cafeteria, and Kresge's had a small diner like area.

Zephyrprocess
Username: Zephyrprocess

Post Number: 274
Posted on Sunday, March 18, 2007 - 1:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Dons Driv-in in Traverse City has the best chocolate malts in the world.

There's a spin-off of Don's on Grand River in Novi.

Mml665
Username: Mml665

Post Number: 2
Posted on Sunday, March 18, 2007 - 2:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Whenever I have gone to Traverse City I found myself at Dons Drive Inn. There was another restaurant I would frequent for breakfast. I can't recall the name but they also sold fresh baked goods. Great breakfasts.

Swingline
Username: Swingline

Post Number: 739
Posted on Sunday, March 18, 2007 - 5:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll try any just about any restaurant that has a sign that says "EAT" or "FINE FOOD."

Gtat44

Post Number: 66
Posted on Monday, March 19, 2007 - 6:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ja1Mz,
Yes Sanders eats were downstairs, and I remember Kresge's also, got my slip and slides from them (shoes). Also if we're on this side of town. How about The House of Reuben on 8 Mile, that place was smaller than my garage. And finally Ham's on 7 Mile had the best hash browns and omelettes for breakfast. Good God I'm getting hungry now!

Bobj
Username: Bobj

Post Number: 1823
Posted on Monday, March 19, 2007 - 7:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember the House of Reuben on 8 Mile!! IT was/is very small!! That is the first place I had a reuben sandwich!

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 1130
Posted on Monday, March 19, 2007 - 7:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

what about Haas prime beef on 8 mile?--they also had a location on Gratiot. That was good eatin'

Gtat44

Post Number: 67
Posted on Monday, March 19, 2007 - 7:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What about The Little Cafe' on Gratiot?

Ja1mz

Post Number: 21
Posted on Monday, March 19, 2007 - 9:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There was a Ham's on Van Dyke and 17 that closed years ago. I'm not sure if it was the same owners. It was a great place to get breakfast, and was always packed. Does anyone know why the St Hgts one closed?...had to be 10 years ago..it still sits as it was the day it closed.

3rdworldcity

Post Number: 560
Posted on Monday, March 19, 2007 - 11:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Robin Hood on Livernois, north of the "Avenue of Fashion." A booming place in the late '50's and 60's. Great breakfasts.

Crew
Username: Crew

Post Number: 1142
Posted on Monday, March 19, 2007 - 11:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JoAnne's on 8 Mile - Eastside
I think the building is now a used car dealer.

Stryker81
Username: Stryker81

Post Number: 28
Posted on Monday, March 19, 2007 - 12:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ham's on Van Dyke hasn't been closed that long. I was there last I think in 2005, and I know it closed not too long after. Don't know why it folded up though.

Gtat44

Post Number: 69
Posted on Monday, March 19, 2007 - 1:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JoAnne's, corner of Sherwood right?

From right I remember excellent prime rib.

Crew
Username: Crew

Post Number: 1146
Posted on Monday, March 19, 2007 - 1:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gtat44, Sounds about right for the location, near Mound anyway. Is the building still there? I suppose I'll drive by and check it out.

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 796
Posted on Monday, March 19, 2007 - 2:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Valkoff's, on Antoinette between Cass and Second, mid-seventies. "Open-Faced" Turkey Sandwich, served with real mashed potatoes and gravy. Hell yes.

Bulletmagnet
Username: Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 116
Posted on Monday, March 19, 2007 - 11:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nice find Buyamerican! I used to work at PERINIS DINING ROOM DETROIT during the 70’s. Oh man could I tell you some crazy stories about the night staff! But not until they have all died!

Pgn421
Username: Pgn421

Post Number: 52
Posted on Tuesday, March 20, 2007 - 9:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Daves Drive inn is open. John R and Piquette. Dave grew up on Bishop off E.Warren. His father used to run the drive inn, also he used to own the Nite Flight Inn at Gratiot and Conner. Good food at Daves now, Check it out.

Buyamerican

Post Number: 17
Posted on Tuesday, March 20, 2007 - 11:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Happy Landing on Conner was another great place for ribs.

Gtat44

Post Number: 75
Posted on Tuesday, March 20, 2007 - 1:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh my God, Daves Drive-in..........
Use to go there every Saturday morning before work.
Played the jukebox while eating. Does Bob still cook in the back. And what was the elderly waitress that drove the Crown Victoria parked right in front.

Jrvass
Username: Jrvass

Post Number: 51
Posted on Wednesday, March 21, 2007 - 7:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

DairyBeen is still open in Highland. Although I don't think they have opened for the season yet.

James

Pgn421
Username: Pgn421

Post Number: 57
Posted on Wednesday, March 21, 2007 - 10:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

gtat44- The waitress is either Jaunita or Bonnie. They are the older ones. Bob, is no longer there, the original owners son Dave, is ther now. Still good food. I stop by at lunch time.

Exmotowner
Username: Exmotowner

Post Number: 127
Posted on Thursday, March 22, 2007 - 1:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Can anyone tell me if El Charo is still open out in Utica? Or China Villa on 10 and vandyke? two of my favorite restruants I want to take my partner to if they are still open when we come up for Memorial day weekend. Thanks

Dabirch
Username: Dabirch

Post Number: 2174
Posted on Thursday, March 22, 2007 - 1:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

El Charro is now on 14 mile. Moved there about a decade ago (by Utica/Garfield).

Newer, larger, and has lost some of the charm - but still pretty good.

Exmotowner

Post Number: 128
Posted on Thursday, March 22, 2007 - 1:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks dabirch. As long as the taco's remain the same! Our mexican food and chinese food here in TN SUCKS! Everything is GENERIC here!

Buyamerican

Post Number: 24
Posted on Thursday, March 22, 2007 - 10:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Exmotowner,
We tried for 10 years to get good Italian in Tennessee and the closest we could find was Olive Garden. Michigan has some of the finest Italian restaurants around. Where are you in Tennessee?

Miss_cleo
Username: Miss_cleo

Post Number: 437
Posted on Friday, March 23, 2007 - 8:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ugh! I hate El Charro. That has got to be the blandest food I have ever had the mis-pleasure of eating. No spices whatsoever. Taco Bell has more flavor. I make better at home. My brother loves this place and I cant figure out why.

Exmotowner

Post Number: 129
Posted on Friday, March 23, 2007 - 8:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Im right in Nashville (over by the airport). Elcharro has those great taco shells that you cant get anywhere else. Dont worry Miss cleo, we'll be hitting mexican village too!

Gtat44

Post Number: 83
Posted on Friday, March 23, 2007 - 2:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pgn421,

It's Juanita! What a sweet sweet lady. PLEASE, next time your in (she may not remember me) tell her George said hi. Let her know I miss her great service and wonderful conversation on Sat mornings. I'd go down there even if I didn't work, for my scrambled with cheese and double bacon and double hash browns. Used to go in there with Dave Allen (she'll remember him).
Live in Indiana now. I can still hear " The Thrill Is Gone " by B.B. King on the jukebox now!

Ja1mz

Post Number: 22
Posted on Sunday, March 25, 2007 - 6:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Exmotowner- yes China Villa is still here, we used to get take out there quite a bit. We had lived only 1/2 mile from there. We have since moved 2 miles north. Eastwind is also good..10/I-94..in Eastpointe...I'm not sure, but I think there still is an El Charo open on Harper in SCS, between 9 and 10 mile.

Maxcarey
Username: Maxcarey

Post Number: 68
Posted on Sunday, March 25, 2007 - 8:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

El Charro is still there.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.