Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » The new crime wave? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Yvette248
Username: Yvette248

Post Number: 456
Posted on Thursday, March 15, 2007 - 4:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Where is the outrage about the other crime wave?

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pb cs.dll/article?AID=/20070315/O PINION03/703150381&theme=Metro -TaraLynnGrant

Tara Grant is dead, and her husband Stephen Grant, who carped to reporters about her frequent travel, is accused of her murder. For weeks, that story has played itself into headlines and news alerts. Last year's conviction of Mark Unger in the murder of his wife, Florence, was similar: She wanted a divorce and instead wound up dead.

A spurt of other domestic homicide cases has since popped into the news media. A man in Harper Woods kills his ex-wife and then himself. A 27-year-old Detroit woman, reported missing last week, turns up in the trunk of a black Chevy Caprice. Her boyfriend is missing.

"It's a constant phenomenon," says Beth Morrison, the chief executive officer of Haven, a domestic violence center in Oakland County. Call volume is up, she says, because publicized cases "raise the level of women's fear."

Miss_cleo
Username: Miss_cleo

Post Number: 426
Posted on Thursday, March 15, 2007 - 4:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think women have a right to be afraid, I know at times the women are the killers, but more times than not its the man.

WTF? cant they just get a divorce and walk away?

Susanarosa
Username: Susanarosa

Post Number: 1409
Posted on Thursday, March 15, 2007 - 4:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I heard an interesting interview from a lady at Common Ground about a week ago on WWJ.

She mentioned something that I've noticed, but never really thought about when it comes to abusive/controlling relationships.

Most women (especially young women) look at their significant others' jealousy as proof that "he really loves me" and their controlling as that "he only wants the best for me" or "he loves me so much he wants me to be around him all the time"

Of course, as the relationship progresses and the woman wants to spend time with her friends or talk on the phone, etc. that feeling loses some of it's glamour.

And unfortunately, it sometimes spirals out of control.

Perfectgentleman
Username: Perfectgentleman

Post Number: 277
Posted on Thursday, March 15, 2007 - 4:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

To quote the last paragraph of the article:

"But the rate of women being killed by boyfriends and husbands has dropped, too -- reaching their lowest levels between 1993 and 2002, say U.S. Department of Justice figures.

Men are killing women in their lives, yes -- but think of it as a chronic disease, not a sudden epidemic. Half the nation's marriages don't last. Murder always does."

So this reporter creates an article with a sensationalist headline using the hype of a local murder case, then is forced to admit in the last paragraph that the entire premise of the article is bullshit. Great reporting.

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 1858
Posted on Thursday, March 15, 2007 - 4:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

The woman leaving, or even a suspicion she's going to leave, is what prompts the majority of domestic violence homicides. That's why there's a need for safe houses.

Cambrian
Username: Cambrian

Post Number: 793
Posted on Thursday, March 15, 2007 - 4:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh Man! PG this was supposed to be a D Yes all chix thread until you had too mess everything up! I was looking fwd to seeing how many ladies are on at a given time.

Eric_w
Username: Eric_w

Post Number: 56
Posted on Thursday, March 15, 2007 - 4:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My wife ain't worth killin' that's for sure!!!!

Hon I do luv ya! really!

Miss_cleo
Username: Miss_cleo

Post Number: 427
Posted on Thursday, March 15, 2007 - 4:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The woman leaving, or even a suspicion she's going to leave, is what prompts the majority of domestic violence homicides. That's why there's a need for safe houses.

I was refering to the men leaving.

Another Q then.....why are men so warped that they have to be that controling? Why cant they walk away from a toxic relationship instead of killing? Was she so important to you that you are willing to spend the rest of your life in jail?

Perfectgentleman

Post Number: 279
Posted on Thursday, March 15, 2007 - 5:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I walked away from a toxic relationship. I could give a damn what my ex wife does now except how it relates to my kids. There are plenty of women who try to be "controlling" too.

I think the reason some guys kill their wives is they usually get screwed in the divorce. That doesn't justify it of course.

Superdave
Username: Superdave

Post Number: 4
Posted on Thursday, March 15, 2007 - 6:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

am i the only one that watches CSI??? they ALWAYS get caught.i'm not married but if i were and my wife actually really was missing i wouldn't report her just because they would crawl up me with a big flashlight and anything even remotely looked funny i would be on national news. I should write a book for murdering spouses. Call it "Pay Cash For This Book". It would have all the pages laminated for easy clean off in case they are reading it while murdering. Stuff like - what guys say and ask when they don't know how their wives died, speak of the missing in the present tense, don't go visit the dump site, check your car for police GPS trackers, don't go to gym, workout, golf, parties, bars etc., work up a believable cry, delete all your evidence out of your computer. Bestseller. I'll be on Oprah.Shouldn't even be marriage. Should just be like a lease. Marriage with an expiration date. No judges, lawyers. Just wait til marriage/lease expires. Bye. U haul backs up. No need to murder then.

Ladyinabag
Username: Ladyinabag

Post Number: 84
Posted on Thursday, March 15, 2007 - 6:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The only way a woman can defend herself physically against a man is to take some kind of self-defence course. Let's face it. Men are physically stronger than women. A woman doesn't have a chance if a man gets enraged. This is why, at the first sign of physical abuse, that a woman should walk out. Oh, he will be sooo apologetic and promise that it will never happen again....but, it will. And, it will escalate. Especially if a man drinks or does drugs. But, as far as Stephen Grant....there was no evidence that he drank or did drugs. I have learned a good lesson from this Grant case. Be nice to your husband...especially if he is a frustrated "Mr. Mom". Don't play games with him and taunt him with your achievements to his determent. I'm not married. And, if I were it wouldn't be to anyone like Stephen Grant. He seems so Namby-Pamby-Wishy-Washy. Well, he's now "the freak of the week"....a real he-man; a mans man. Jeez!!

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 1168
Posted on Thursday, March 15, 2007 - 7:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

but think of it as a chronic disease, not a sudden epidemic. Half the nation's marriages don't last. Murder always does."

So this reporter creates an article with a sensationalist headline using the hype of a local murder case, then is forced to admit in the last paragraph that the entire premise of the article is bullshit. Great reporting.

I would not say the premise is bullshit. A lot of cases happened in recent weeks. The fact that it is a chronic problem still makes it worth writing about. (And more of an outrage in my opinion.)

Perfectgentleman

Post Number: 282
Posted on Thursday, March 15, 2007 - 7:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, I guess all men suck. Funny how a woman can kill her kids, which is also a "chronic problem" and every excuse in the book is put out there for that.

What is considered a "problem" these days is whatever the media chooses to publicize. There are all kinds of brutal crimes happening every day that get little mention in the press because they wouldn't get ratings. Since the Lacy Peterson case a white, suburban mom being killed by her husband is a guaranteed winner.

(Message edited by perfectgentleman on March 15, 2007)

Ladyinabag
Username: Ladyinabag

Post Number: 87
Posted on Thursday, March 15, 2007 - 7:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

All men don't suck Just men who hit women do. I have a friend who broke up with this woman because every time she got drunk she physically abused him. He never did hit her back. He just broke up with her. It's really bad when both parties drink. It's easier just to pop somebody if a person is drunk. You always do things that you wouldn't do, sober, when you are drunk. But when you do these things when you are sober....that's the time to really worry. This is evidence of sociopathy.

Perfectgentleman

Post Number: 284
Posted on Thursday, March 15, 2007 - 8:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ladyinabag -

Definitely agree that being drunk is no way to go through life...

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 1859
Posted on Thursday, March 15, 2007 - 8:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From the photos I've seen Stephen Grant looks like a good candidate for schizophrenia.

Perfectgentleman

Post Number: 285
Posted on Thursday, March 15, 2007 - 8:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah he is a psycho, wish we had the death penalty in Michigan...

C_p
Username: C_p

Post Number: 15
Posted on Thursday, March 15, 2007 - 8:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Miss cleo, why can't they just get a divorce.
Divorce IS a death sentence as it completely ruins your life and future., and yes I am divorced and am speaking from first hand experience. But it does NOT justify murder.

Superdave

Post Number: 5
Posted on Thursday, March 15, 2007 - 9:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

am i also the only one that knows michigan has a concealed handgun guarunteed permit law and also a castle doctrine which says you do not have a duty to retreat if threatened with imminent danger of death, robbery, rape, severe assault and you are protected from prosecution and civil damage? a woman can do a self defense course and thats great but a handgun is the biggest equalizer. just don't be afraid to use it if the time comes. he WILL take it from you. the law is on your side for once in michigan. not bad for a state with a democrat governor.

Superdave

Post Number: 6
Posted on Thursday, March 15, 2007 - 9:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

am i also the only one that knows michigan has a concealed handgun shall issue permit law and also a castle doctrine which says you do not have a duty to retreat if threatened with imminent danger of death, robbery, rape, severe assault and you are protected from prosecution and civil damage? shoot him. a woman can do a self defense course and thats great but a handgun is the biggest equalizer. just don't be afraid to use it if the time comes. he WILL take it from you. the law is on your side for once in michigan. not bad for a state with a democrat governor.

Yvette248

Post Number: 458
Posted on Thursday, March 15, 2007 - 10:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

To the psycho men who think this is a "chick" issue, how would you feel if someone cut your daughter up in pieces? How about your mom? The "chick" is a human being that has a family.

Pam

Post Number: 1169
Posted on Friday, March 16, 2007 - 4:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Yeah, I guess all men suck.

Where did anybody say that?

Southwestmap
Username: Southwestmap

Post Number: 742
Posted on Friday, March 16, 2007 - 9:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What is this lonely hearts thread (however interesting and classic) doing on the Detroit section?

Jfre66_77
Username: Jfre66_77

Post Number: 64
Posted on Friday, March 16, 2007 - 3:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.washingtonpost.com/ wp-dyn/content/article/2007/03 /16/AR2007031601183.html
The story in this link didn't happen in Detroit, but it highlights another facet of some of these tragic cases. "Yeah he beat me up, but I don't want to press charges because I love him." Then the sick bastard comes back and does something like this.

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 1327
Posted on Friday, March 16, 2007 - 3:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The woman who was shot by her husband in Harper Woods had divorced her husband. It didn't save her.

She was an old friend from Christ the King, btw. Rest in peace, Patty.

Men don't suck. Let's not make this worse than it is, please.

Oldredfordette, married to an excellent man for 28 years.

Pam

Post Number: 1174
Posted on Friday, March 16, 2007 - 6:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Condolences on the loss of your friend Oldredfordette.

Yvette248

Post Number: 462
Posted on Saturday, March 24, 2007 - 9:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Domestic abuse deaths soar 74%

Shelters turned away 7,000 victims in 2006 as violence overwhelms Michigan agencies.

Kim Kozlowski / The Detroit News

Domestic violence deaths have risen dramatically in Michigan, prompting state advocates to call for more funding and better protection for abuse victims.

The disappearance and death of Tara Grant -- allegedly at the hands of her husband, Stephen Grant -- is the most recent high-profile victim, but just one tragic ending in a troubling trend, advocates say. "We need to have stricter laws, more services, whatever it takes to stop it," said Alicia Standerfer, Tara Grant's sister.

Bulletmagnet
Username: Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 145
Posted on Saturday, March 24, 2007 - 10:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Women do their part :http://www.tdcj.state.tx.us/st at/womenondrow.htm

Yvette248

Post Number: 468
Posted on Monday, March 26, 2007 - 12:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And yet another one.....

Instead of wondering about Nathaniel Abraham, we need to be more worried about the sickos next door beating and murdering their wives, girlfriends and kids.

Fresh start ends with Ky. woman's murder
Boyfriend of 4 months strangled mom within days of their move to Detroit, authorities say.

http://detnews.com/apps/pbcs.d ll/article?AID=/20070326/METRO 01/703260368

Ohudson
Username: Ohudson

Post Number: 214
Posted on Monday, March 26, 2007 - 1:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Add another story to the mix. This one is just ... no words can explain this one. In Houston a guy dismembered and barbequed his girlfriend because she moved on. WOW!

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireS tory?id=2980300&CMP=OTC-RSSFee ds0312

"For at least two days, neighbors at a city apartment complex noticed an acrid aroma, black smoke and leaping flames coming from two barbecue grills on the balcony of a second-floor apartment.

What, neighbors at the Red Oak Place apartments wondered, was going on in the unit where 27-year-old Timothy Wayne Shepherd lived? What was he burning at all hours, for days at a time? The answer turned their stomachs."

Gspark
Username: Gspark

Post Number: 1
Posted on Monday, March 26, 2007 - 1:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How is the crime between 7 and 8 mile road (east side) is still a safe place for white people to live ?

Swingline
Username: Swingline

Post Number: 757
Posted on Monday, March 26, 2007 - 1:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gspark, you kind of swung and missed on that first one.

Gspark
Username: Gspark

Post Number: 4
Posted on Wednesday, March 28, 2007 - 3:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

and what do you mean by swung and missed ? what did i miss ?

Urbanize
Username: Urbanize

Post Number: 436
Posted on Wednesday, March 28, 2007 - 9:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"How is the crime between 7 and 8 mile road (east side) is still a safe place for white people to live ?"

I live in this area. It's relatively stable. Only issues over here is the population of "children" and robberies here and there, even they are hit and miss. Also, the homes are at least in semi-decent shape and is structered like a dense neighborhood with SOME retail. Nothing compared to other parts of Detroit.

(Message edited by Urbanize on March 28, 2007)

Swingline
Username: Swingline

Post Number: 760
Posted on Wednesday, March 28, 2007 - 11:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nevermind gspark. Rest assured the neighborhood is ok for white people. Chinese people should probably avoid the area though. I wouldn't recommend the area for the French either.

(Message edited by swingline on March 28, 2007)

Urbanize
Username: Urbanize

Post Number: 440
Posted on Wednesday, March 28, 2007 - 5:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Nevermind gspark. Rest assured the neighborhood is ok for white people. Chinese people should probably avoid the area though. I wouldn't recommend the area for the French either"

Actually, there is a decent Korean population over here too.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.