Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Should the Book-Cadillac have a Nino's Bellisima pizzaria? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 2796
Posted on Thursday, March 15, 2007 - 3:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Some Detroiters seem to be overly concerned about not having rapid transit downtown and such. Would those same types piss and moan about not having their own 4-star pizzeria featuring $1000 12-inch pizza? Why should Detroit be second-class or worse in yet another major category? Oh, the humanity!

Luxury Pie: NYC Restaurant Offers $1,000 Pizza

(CBS) NEW YORK We've been dealing with the pocket-emptying effects of rising gas prices, new electric rates, and an increase in cab fare, but how would you feel about breaking the bank all for...a pizza? Now you can find out thanks to Manhattan restauranteur Nino Selimaj, who has apparently brought from the heavens a real "pie in the sky" with his new $1,000 pizza.

Yep, that'll be $1,000 please.

The pizza will be added to the menu at "Nino's Bellisima," one of Selimaj's six restaurants in the city. Forget traditional cheese and pizza sauce, the record-priced pie will be topped with creme fraiche, chives, eight ounces of four different kinds of Petrossian caviar, four ounces of thinly sliced Maine lobster tail, salmon roe, and a little bit of spice with wasabi.

And unlike your typical pizza, this one won't be cooked, after all, that would spoil the fish. The 12-inch pie is sliced into four pieces, which comes to $250 per slice.

"Let them say I'm crazy," Selimaj says. "But I believe in this product, and it's gonna sell!"

So who's gonna buy this pie? Selimaj is betting Wall Street business types.

"My luxury pizza will become as famous as a night at the Waldorf Astoria. When Mr. Chow's introduced upscale Asian Cuisine several years ago, people couldn't imagine paying hundreds of dollars for Chinese food. Now upscale Asian cuisine is as common as New York hot dogs. Upscale Pizza will be next," Selimaj said.

The previous international record for pizza found on a menu was $193 at Gordon Ramsey's Maze restaurant in London.

[Err, pardon my spelling error. How does one edit the thread header?]

(Message edited by LivernoisYard on March 15, 2007)

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 739
Posted on Thursday, March 15, 2007 - 3:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I want one!

Buzzman0077
Username: Buzzman0077

Post Number: 30
Posted on Thursday, March 15, 2007 - 3:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What a ridiculous waste of money, besides I think pizza should keep to the classics.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 3811
Posted on Thursday, March 15, 2007 - 3:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What! No French Truffles on their Pizza??

Burnsie
Username: Burnsie

Post Number: 898
Posted on Thursday, March 15, 2007 - 3:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What does this silly non-Detroit issue have to do with people who favor mass transit? Why do you have to pick a snide argument over nothing?

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 3812
Posted on Thursday, March 15, 2007 - 3:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He's turning into TRAINMAN!!! Yikes!

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 2797
Posted on Thursday, March 15, 2007 - 3:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey! If you build a $1000 pizza, they will come...

Rjk
Username: Rjk

Post Number: 641
Posted on Thursday, March 15, 2007 - 3:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What a rip off. If I'm going to pay $1000 for a pizza I at least want a extra-large. That pizza looks like a medium. Actually it doesn't look very good.

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 774
Posted on Thursday, March 15, 2007 - 3:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And the award for today's Most Transparently Shifty Way Of Calling It A Discuss Detroit Issue goes to Livernoisyard.

Detroit313
Username: Detroit313

Post Number: 296
Posted on Thursday, March 15, 2007 - 3:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I will buy a slice just as soon as I buy a bottle of "BLING" water. 313

Hysteria
Username: Hysteria

Post Number: 2684
Posted on Thursday, March 15, 2007 - 4:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sounds good. You buyin', LY?

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 2799
Posted on Thursday, March 15, 2007 - 4:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe, but I walk a lot. Might be dangerous parading through Capitol Park with a $1000 pizza.

BOTOH, any purloined pizzas would probably turn up at some nondescript pizza pawnshop nearby, and for a lot less.

BTW, the minimum expected gratuity on just the pizza alone would be 150 smackeroos.

(Message edited by LivernoisYard on March 15, 2007)

3rdworldcity
Username: 3rdworldcity

Post Number: 543
Posted on Thursday, March 15, 2007 - 5:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Typical NY. That thing's not worth a dime over $650.

They should cut it into eight slices so they'd only be $125 a slice.

And I agree w/ Gistok. Who can eat pizza w/o truffles?

Ladyinabag
Username: Ladyinabag

Post Number: 85
Posted on Thursday, March 15, 2007 - 6:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They should have an "El Coyote" Restaurant like downstairs from The Chelsea Hotel in New York. Then this town could learn to appreciate "Paella". Yummy Yummy Yummy!!! We have enough pizza here. WE NEED SPANISH!!

(Message edited by ladyinabag on March 15, 2007)

Urbanize
Username: Urbanize

Post Number: 163
Posted on Thursday, March 15, 2007 - 6:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is my opinion, but I think pizza Place around the Sbarro and Papa Johns level would be more feasible. If CiCi's can keep it clean, then they could open in the BC along with the Subway and Starbucks that will be there. Here's a website of other possibilities.

Beside, when you draw a line between low customer rates and inflation and questionable service, it will just be a waste of commercial space and a waste of Nino's time and Detroit's.

http://www.epinions.com/Chain_ Restaurants--reviews--cuisine_ type_pizza

(Message edited by Urbanize on March 15, 2007)

Psip
Username: Psip

Post Number: 1551
Posted on Thursday, March 15, 2007 - 6:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A bottle of Louis XII would wash that down nicely.
http://www.beerliquors.com/gif tbaskets/louis_XIII_cognac.htm

Rustic
Username: Rustic

Post Number: 3103
Posted on Thursday, March 15, 2007 - 8:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Unless you can ride a 2B$ subway to the BC, $250 a slice pizza is inappropriate.

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 415
Posted on Thursday, March 15, 2007 - 10:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sure, as long as it stays open past 5 p.m. For those of us who work nights downtown, ANYTHING is welcome. I love the Anchor, don't get me wrong, but I've had more bar food in the last year than in the rest of my lifetime.
Thank God for Sicily's delivery, bringing it real from the Southwest si-eed!

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 879
Posted on Friday, March 16, 2007 - 4:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bwahaha, can't wait to bring this up the next time some smug New Yorker talks about their NY Style Pizza.

Fleamarket
Username: Fleamarket

Post Number: 11
Posted on Saturday, March 17, 2007 - 9:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

have been searching for any photos/ video footage of the detroit riots. Anyone who may have suggestions would be helpful.

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 11421
Posted on Saturday, March 17, 2007 - 9:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

$5 hot and ready baby! I can get 200 pizzas for that price.

Urbanize
Username: Urbanize

Post Number: 192
Posted on Saturday, March 17, 2007 - 11:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Funny, Illitch refuse to open a Carry Out or Sit-In restaurant downtown. Don't understand why not.

Milwaukee
Username: Milwaukee

Post Number: 1021
Posted on Saturday, March 17, 2007 - 3:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"have been searching for any photos/ video footage of the detroit riots. Anyone who may have suggestions would be helpful."

This is a thread about a 1000$ pizza. Not the riots. Check out HOF there's a huge thread about the riots. There should be pics.

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 2820
Posted on Saturday, March 17, 2007 - 3:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

M'wauky, you took the bait...and swallowed.

Dontcha think that he figured that the Detroit riots were more on target for a Discuss Detroit thread than a $1000 NYC pizza?

We got Paul's Pizza over here for a $4 medium pepperoni. Used to be $5 for a large. Might get one later. Place goes back to 1952.

(Message edited by LivernoisYard on March 17, 2007)

Ladyinabag
Username: Ladyinabag

Post Number: 98
Posted on Saturday, March 17, 2007 - 3:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

PAELLA!!!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.