Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » David Whitney Building Renovations « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Davetroit
Username: Davetroit

Post Number: 3
Posted on Thursday, March 15, 2007 - 11:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone know what is now planned for the David Whitney building at Woodward and Park? There has been activity and 24/7 security there the past couple months. I talked with one of the security guards and he said that renovations are underway, but he didn't know anything about the scope of the project.

E_hemingway
Username: E_hemingway

Post Number: 1102
Posted on Thursday, March 15, 2007 - 12:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have also seen the increased security presence in recent weeks, although I haven't seen any construction activity there. There was a lot of work being done pre Super Bowl, but that all stopped shortly after the game ended. Big surprise. It could also have something to do with updating the People Mover stop there.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 3805
Posted on Thursday, March 15, 2007 - 2:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If something were in the works, we would probably have heard about it by now in one of the dailies or elsewhere.

Maybe Detroit city government started issuing tickets against the building owners fearing that scrappers and homeless people were starting to destroy this gem a little bit at a time.

Remember someone threw a chair from an upper floor into the skylight above the 4 story lobby a while ago (as seen in the Detroit Blog website). That chair was stuck into the skylight and didn't break all the way thru.

Tompage
Username: Tompage

Post Number: 9
Posted on Thursday, March 15, 2007 - 2:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I believe this is a Higgins property. Back in the fall, scrappers were breaking in off of Washington Blvd. I know it because I saw them and reported it. Shortly after, uniformed security was posted. Other than that, I don't think any other activity has taken place.

E_hemingway
Username: E_hemingway

Post Number: 1103
Posted on Thursday, March 15, 2007 - 2:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think some management firm in Troy is in charge of the building, not Higgins. I heard a story a couple of years ago that some old guy out of state owns it but doesn't realize it and is so rich he wouldn't care if he did.

Apbest
Username: Apbest

Post Number: 474
Posted on Thursday, March 15, 2007 - 2:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Higgins owns Broderick not Whitney I believe

Crew
Username: Crew

Post Number: 1137
Posted on Thursday, March 15, 2007 - 3:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Becker Family owes it. They made millions when they sold their Auto Supplier business in Michigan and Germany to Johnson Controls (JCI). One of the Brothers eventually bought back some of the Michigan operations from JCI. JCI kept the German factories.

Their original plan was to turn the building into a Hard Rock Hotel (different from Hard Rock Cafe). When that fell through, they had no back up plan for the building's use so it now sits empty.

Deandub11
Username: Deandub11

Post Number: 87
Posted on Thursday, March 15, 2007 - 3:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yea I think the guy has a stake in other hard rock hotels around the country so Crew sounds about right. And yet I do keep hearing rumblings...

Motorcitydave
Username: Motorcitydave

Post Number: 1
Posted on Thursday, March 15, 2007 - 4:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have seen security cars sitting by the Washington entrance too... for at least 3 months now, every day, 24 hours.

I always thought it would make a good home for Rock Financial/Quicken Loans when those rumors started popping up 6 months back.

Hkytwn
Username: Hkytwn

Post Number: 18
Posted on Friday, March 16, 2007 - 10:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In early August I walked right in from the Woodward enterance..one of the pieces of plywood was loose. The glass celling above the lobby had the chair in it and was leaking water onto the marble floor. The buildings interior is in almost perfect condition...but there were sings of minor vandalism. The hose cabinet that the fire hose is kept in was opened and the fire hose was all over the floor as well as a buzzing alarm sound from a control panel on the wall. Glad to hear there is security around the building now

Bibs
Username: Bibs

Post Number: 676
Posted on Friday, March 16, 2007 - 10:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Motorcitydave - Yeah, I saw a guy sitting in a parked car on the Washington side of the building with an extension cord running from the car to the building. It was about a month ago when it was really cold. So it was a security guard for the Whitney.

Bob
Username: Bob

Post Number: 1411
Posted on Friday, March 16, 2007 - 11:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was just thinking about the Whitney Building when I was downtown last weekend and saw graffiti painted on the windows.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.