Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Old time Detroit Realator « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 1625
Posted on Thursday, March 15, 2007 - 9:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Any body out there remember a Detroit real estate mogul in the 40's who used the radio air waves to advertise by the name of Benjamin Rich?
His commercial ended with and his motto was:
"Cash for your property in 48 hours"

He claimed that his business address was an office that "looked like a bank". I thought of him with the current mortgage problems we are going through and the number of folks who have their homes on the market and would just love to get "cash in 48 hours".
Maybe some of the seniors of the Forum or Mikem types have some recollections, address, photos etc. of what was back then a big-time Detroit radio advertiser.

Carolcb
Username: Carolcb

Post Number: 217
Posted on Thursday, March 15, 2007 - 9:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone remember getting up on Sunday morning and watching the Real Estate shows?

Also the commercial, "Call Lee and Start Packing!"?

Ladyinabag
Username: Ladyinabag

Post Number: 101
Posted on Saturday, March 17, 2007 - 4:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What about "Schostak"? They are older than I am.

Neilr
Username: Neilr

Post Number: 471
Posted on Saturday, March 17, 2007 - 7:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In the 1960's Benjamin Rich's office was on the east side of Livernois, a bit south of 8 Mile, just north of the Avenue of Fashion. It was a handsome one-story dark grey or black building with tall narrow windows. It has since been architecturally abused and might be something like a day care now.

Benjamin Rich's daughter, Miss Rich taught Art History at U of D. Her classes were in the late afternoon and most days she's turn out the lights and show slides while lecturing. Before entering her room, I used to pray, "Please Lord, don't let me fall asleep today when she turns the lights out." If ever you nodded off, she was likely to smack her pointer down on your desk with a loud crack. Then after class, you'd be warned to improve your habits or else.

Miss Rich had a grand, dramatic, expensive style. She collected contemporary art and encouraged us to visit art galleries on our own. Oe day, at her suggestion, I went to an opening of an exhibit by Lowell Nesbit at a gallery in the Fisher Building. I will always be grateful to Miss Rich for exposing me to that world. She made a difference in my life.

Urbanize
Username: Urbanize

Post Number: 214
Posted on Saturday, March 17, 2007 - 7:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

?What about "Schostak"? They are older than I am."

There still one of the largest retail realtors out there today.

Mikem
Username: Mikem

Post Number: 3198
Posted on Sunday, March 18, 2007 - 2:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Benjamin Rich, Real Estate & Rentals, 12545 Linwood.

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 1636
Posted on Monday, March 19, 2007 - 5:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So he was on Linwood--how 'bout that? Should have know he was a Westsider. jjaba probably bought his house from BJ.
Thanks, Mikem.

Pgn421
Username: Pgn421

Post Number: 59
Posted on Wednesday, April 04, 2007 - 3:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Frank J Nichols 16700 E.Warren Ave
Detroit,Mich
He sold lots of houses on the eastside Detroit and Grosse Pointe. 1955-1996

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.