Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » The Lager House For Sale « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Soulhawk
Username: Soulhawk

Post Number: 288
Posted on Wednesday, March 14, 2007 - 1:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I heard from some reliable sources that the Lager House is for sale. Anyone else hear these rumors?

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 248
Posted on Wednesday, March 14, 2007 - 1:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I haven't heard anything. But I do know any new owner better fix the air conditioning. And by fix I mean completely tear out and install something made in the last 70 years.

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 11411
Posted on Wednesday, March 14, 2007 - 1:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's hardly a secret, been for sale for awhile, listed online somewhere.

Chub
Username: Chub

Post Number: 470
Posted on Wednesday, March 14, 2007 - 3:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, it is no secret that it's been on the market for a long time now. Last I heard from my former co-workers at O'Connor Realty five weeks ago, there is a sale pending.

Drankin21
Username: Drankin21

Post Number: 69
Posted on Wednesday, March 14, 2007 - 5:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A while back, I heard that Jacoby's was for sale and the owner wanted something like a million dollars.

(POST 69!)

sorry

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1537
Posted on Wednesday, March 14, 2007 - 9:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

you are no longer at oconner chub?

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 401
Posted on Wednesday, March 14, 2007 - 3:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No, Chub is a traitor! He moved to California! Boooo!

Kiddin', Chub. I wish you the best, just hate to see you leave the Mitten.

Davetroit
Username: Davetroit

Post Number: 2
Posted on Thursday, March 15, 2007 - 11:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Drankin - yes, Jacoby's sold about a year ago. The asking price was at $850K.

Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 405
Posted on Thursday, March 15, 2007 - 11:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Was at the Lager House last night for a fairly big name among the Lager House set, Holly Golightly.
I was shocked at how empty it was. More people than usual these days, but I was worried about it selling out! Doubt it was the weather that kept people away because it didn't start snowing till later.
This place is in trouble.
Seems like the problems started after the Detroit "garage scene" started to die three years ago or so. Of course, it's limping along these days, so maybe not as many people from the suburbs are coming down, either because they haven't heard the music or it's no longer cool? Certainly the music hasn't gotten any worse.

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 1441
Posted on Thursday, March 15, 2007 - 11:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ahhh, but Jack White moved to Nashville, didn't he? And he's SO all-important and influential when it comes to Detroit music.

Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 408
Posted on Thursday, March 15, 2007 - 11:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And so did Brendan Benson, Fury. That's not my point. My point is that Detroit's music is not considered "in" anymore.
I still go to shows, but it's obvious most people aren't. The only time the Stick is ever packed full is for a national act.

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 4148
Posted on Thursday, March 15, 2007 - 11:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Are the bars in Hamtramck giving the Lager House a run for its money?

Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 410
Posted on Thursday, March 15, 2007 - 11:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hmmm...could be, Patrick. Although Small's and the Belmont were open for business and drawing back in the scene's "heyday," you know, way back in 1998-2003.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 256
Posted on Thursday, March 15, 2007 - 12:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit music waxes and wanes in phases. Don't worry, it's not going anywhere.

Every now and again America gets sick with the overproduced corporate ear vomit saturating the airwaves, and look to see what Detroit's up to.

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1541
Posted on Thursday, March 15, 2007 - 12:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rhymeswith, it was a tuesday night, there's your problem.

though i do agree that the "scene" is getting spread pretty thin these days

Lakesuperior
Username: Lakesuperior

Post Number: 166
Posted on Thursday, March 15, 2007 - 1:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i think the lager house is fine-- i just don't think holly golightly is that big of a draw, personally. then you throw the tuesday night factor in? forget about it....

Johnlodge

Post Number: 258
Posted on Thursday, March 15, 2007 - 1:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Holly only has fame here because she "loves Jack White like a little brother..."

Brandon48202
Username: Brandon48202

Post Number: 150
Posted on Thursday, March 15, 2007 - 1:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The sale of the lager house is currently pending. I sold it with cooperation with another agent at O'Connor Realty.

(Message edited by brandon48202 on March 15, 2007)

Soulhawk

Post Number: 289
Posted on Thursday, March 15, 2007 - 4:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wanted to go, but being that it was the Wednesday after the Blowout and the day after Seger at the Joe, I couldnt ask all of that from my liver and eardrums.

Soulhawk

Post Number: 290
Posted on Thursday, March 15, 2007 - 5:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wanted to go, but because it was the Wednesday after the Blowout and the day after Seger at the Joe, I just couldnt ask all of that from my eardrums and liver. Besides, Is Holy Golightly really Detroit music? Even if she did appear on a Greenhornes/White Stripes album, she's not exactly a local musician.

Motorcitydave
Username: Motorcitydave

Post Number: 2
Posted on Thursday, March 15, 2007 - 5:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I noticed a for sale flyer for it posted in the realestate place next to Slows last Sunday... at least I think that was Lager House... I was pretty fuzzy during that day after the St Pattys parade. :-)

Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 417
Posted on Thursday, March 15, 2007 - 11:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Besides, Is Holy Golightly really Detroit music? Even if she did appear on a Greenhornes/White Stripes album, she's not exactly a local musician.

All the more reason to go see her, Soulhawk. And she's definitely not local; she's from London. And I'm talkin' England, not Ohio. While the Detroit heavyweights of a few years ago aren't playing out as often, you can see them a lot more often. She signed an autograph for me after my friend Ben introduced us. Pleasant as punch, that was one. Jolly good show.

Enduro
Username: Enduro

Post Number: 80
Posted on Thursday, March 15, 2007 - 11:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Lager seemed to take the place of the Gold Dollar when it close by booking all the hip acts. I used to frequent both. I still hit the Lager on occasion, even hit some bombs for the softball team.

The little hipster scene seems to be fading, there's not much new coming out of any interest and the national acts are fed up with touring or transformed into something more palatable for Clear Channel Inc.

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 878
Posted on Thursday, March 15, 2007 - 11:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe people aren't going because Garage Rock sucks? That it itself is watered-down and "been done"? *shrug*

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 2802
Posted on Thursday, March 15, 2007 - 11:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What's the history of the place anyway? The only times I ever went there was when the Western YMCA on Clark would have their Christmas parties there. The Y must have been closed for some five years by now.

I noticed that the Lager House had morphed from a neighborhood bar or whatever it was then into some kind of single's bar or something when running past the place one evening with the Downtown Runner's back about five years ago, and it didn't even looked as it was in business at that time.

Enduro
Username: Enduro

Post Number: 83
Posted on Thursday, March 15, 2007 - 11:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

(Kinda agree with you Focus... There's a couple acts worth their salt but beyond that it's pretensous and a great way for a hack musician to find an audience. ...of course I'm a bitter former rocker.)

Best act I've seen there in a few years: Neil Hamburger, America's Funnyman!

I'm not too sure the history, Livernoisyard but it's been there for many years. I'll ask next time I see the owner. They keep kind of weird hours now... I'd like to stop after work for a little happy hour fun. Do any of those Michigan Ave bars have one?

Soulhawk

Post Number: 292
Posted on Friday, March 16, 2007 - 7:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My point about Holly was just that local bands would at least have some of their friends there to support them. A Londoner, despite having a select group of local friends like your buddy Blackwell, can't really rely on more than a few people interested in her from the albums on which she has appeared.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.