Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Sailing Lessons « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Long_in_the_tooth
Username: Long_in_the_tooth

Post Number: 23
Posted on Tuesday, March 13, 2007 - 7:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am interested in learning to sail this season.
Does anyone have any suggestions on the best way to get started. I will eventually want to join a club in order to have a boat in the water.

Irish_mafia
Username: Irish_mafia

Post Number: 784
Posted on Tuesday, March 13, 2007 - 7:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Investigate Bayview Yacht Club and Crescent Sail Yacht Club which both have adult learn to sail programs.

BYC is in the city at the foot of Clairpointe (Connor) below Jefferson. (www.byc.com). They use Ultimate 20's as their club boats - Very cool boat.

CSYC is at the foot of Kerby Road in Grosse Pointe Farms. - not sure their web address.
They use Flying Scotts as their club boat. Ok to learn on.

I think that Detroit Yacht Club on Belle Isle may have a similar program with their Flying Scots as well.

Additional resources include DRYA.org.
It is a great sport.

Welcome aboard!

Boynamedsue
Username: Boynamedsue

Post Number: 9
Posted on Tuesday, March 13, 2007 - 9:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Long in the tooth-

I am a one of the sailing instructors for Bayview Yacht Club's adult sailing program. We are running classes this year on Mondays from May 14 to June 25 (no Memorial Day class). The class will cover all aspects of beginning sailing and boat handling. We use the club boat fleet to teach on. They are called Ultimate 20's and are fast, fun, and easy to learn on. You can check out some photos of the club fleet here: http://www.byc.com/clubboats/u 20s2005YearInReview.ppt
The cost is $200 which includes a book. Last year the class filled up, so signing up early is recommended. To register, you need to call the BYC Office @ 313-822-1853.

Let me know if you need any additional information.

Irish_mafia
Username: Irish_mafia

Post Number: 789
Posted on Wednesday, March 14, 2007 - 10:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great powerpoint Sue!

Hope it attracts more sailors.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.