Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Free Press Building « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Dtroit
Username: Dtroit

Post Number: 2
Posted on Tuesday, March 13, 2007 - 10:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If memory serves me correctly, The Free Press building was suppose to become lofts. Has anything moved forward with plans for the building, Lofts or otherwise?

Ndavies
Username: Ndavies

Post Number: 2485
Posted on Tuesday, March 13, 2007 - 10:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There has never been a solid announced plan for the freep building. It's still for sale. You can buy it right now. Your visions of a loft could become reality. I'm sure those top floors in the tower would fetch a pretty penny after you deal with all the environmental toxins in the basement.

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 1316
Posted on Tuesday, March 13, 2007 - 10:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I heard it was sold. As is the Riverfront plant.

The Free Press building was rat infested. (no, that's not a scab joke. Mitch Albom hardly ever went there). They'd better take care of that first.

Fareastsider
Username: Fareastsider

Post Number: 235
Posted on Tuesday, March 13, 2007 - 10:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Where did the Free Press employees move and what toxins are in the basement?

Crew
Username: Crew

Post Number: 1131
Posted on Tuesday, March 13, 2007 - 11:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Freep employees work out of the Detroit News building now. The basement once contained the printing presses and it contaminated with chemicals from the printing process.

Ndavies
Username: Ndavies

Post Number: 2486
Posted on Tuesday, March 13, 2007 - 11:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The freep building was sold to Farbman years ago. Farbman didn't do anything with it and currently have it listed for sale.

http://connect.costar.com/conn ect/MasterPage/Main.aspx?SiteI D=21160&Checksum=32698

(sorry i thought that link would take you straight to the building listing. It is listed on about the 7th page.)

(Message edited by ndavies on March 13, 2007)

Hans57
Username: Hans57

Post Number: 43
Posted on Tuesday, March 13, 2007 - 11:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone have proof that it's rat infested, or are people just saying that? What reason would rats be down there? I can't imagine that there's a source of food.

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 4768
Posted on Tuesday, March 13, 2007 - 11:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hans57- I think most people equate old buildings with it being rat infested. I've been in that building several times and would hardly consider that place to be a haven for a rodent population, but then I've never been in the basement or in some of those other places where rats are supposed to live either.

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 1317
Posted on Tuesday, March 13, 2007 - 11:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've been in that building several times and that building is rat infested. They used to frolic up on the fourth floor. Openly.

Mccarch
Username: Mccarch

Post Number: 110
Posted on Tuesday, March 13, 2007 - 12:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Open rat frollicking!

I'd pay money to see that.

Docmo
Username: Docmo

Post Number: 259
Posted on Tuesday, March 13, 2007 - 12:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't pay, Mccarch. It's free on youtube! You've all seen this already.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =su0U37w2tws

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 397
Posted on Tuesday, March 13, 2007 - 1:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If it's rat-infested now, it wasn't when the Freep was still there. What are they eating? Old newsprint?

Paulc
Username: Paulc

Post Number: 111
Posted on Tuesday, March 13, 2007 - 1:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My grandfather worked in the Free Press building for 45+ years as an illustrator (Jon Buechel - "Buechel's World"). I have great childhood memories of him taking me to work for the day in the summertime when school was out to "show me off." He never drove, so we took the Van Dyke bus (from Center Line) all the way downtown. We would walk to Lafayette Coney on his lunch, then to Hart Plaza and then to the church on Washington Blvd. where he would light a prayer candle daily. I can attribute most of my interest in Detroit to all of the memories he shared with me - pointing out buildings and their pasts as we walked together. A few years back he was celebrating 10 yrs. of retirement and wanted to go back Downtown to see what had changed. We started off in the News building, where he reunited with some former coworkers, ate at Lafayette, and then off to Lindell after a driving tour to show off some of the "rebirth." For someone of his generation who could easily spew the canned response of "it was so much nicer when I...etc." - he thought that things were really starting to turn around. We had a great time and I was proud of his optimism and thanked him for speaking so proudly of the city when I was young.

Sorry for the rant - my memories of the old Free Press building did not include any rodents - but a great view from the roof when Grandpa was still a smoker. I recall the narrow hallways with old drinking fountains, wooden doors, faux marble floors, etc. It was a nice building from recollection.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.