Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Should Comerica Chairman Resign as Detroit Renaissance Head? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 3784
Posted on Monday, March 12, 2007 - 2:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ralph W. Babb Jr. is the name that I saw today while thumbing thru the Freep. It says that he's the Chairman of Detroit Renaissance as well as the CEO of Comerica....

WHOA!!!!!!

Do we really want this guy heading up Detroit Renaissance, if he takes his HQ to Dallas?

I mean what exactly is he promoting here in Detroit?? Not our city!?

Scottr
Username: Scottr

Post Number: 380
Posted on Monday, March 12, 2007 - 2:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, no kidding. he needs to step down, at least from the chairmanship.

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 5204
Posted on Monday, March 12, 2007 - 3:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here are Detroit Renaissance's contacts:

info@detroitrenaissance.com

http://www.detroitrenaissance. com/

A letter campaign, maybe?

East_detroit
Username: East_detroit

Post Number: 1011
Posted on Monday, March 12, 2007 - 7:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Let' all go have a beer at Compuware Park and discuss this during the game.

Jeduncan
Username: Jeduncan

Post Number: 57
Posted on Monday, March 12, 2007 - 8:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What a contradiction.

Bastard.

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 721
Posted on Monday, March 12, 2007 - 9:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yes, I think he should step down, and he probably will...

but I want him to for practical reasons, and not because I hate the man like all of you...you're all just interested in punishing him and think that this will somehow land a blow on him...incredible

Detroit has only itself to blame if it can't attract/retain businesses...

Dialh4hipster
Username: Dialh4hipster

Post Number: 1948
Posted on Monday, March 12, 2007 - 9:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KILL HIM!!!

Scottr

Post Number: 383
Posted on Monday, March 12, 2007 - 9:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

thejesus, no one's saying this is about punishing him or anything like that (okay, maybe dialh4hipster is) - this IS about practicality. For a group who 'brings the business community’s leadership and resources together to encourage and facilitate the physical and economic revitalization of Detroit and Southeast Michigan,' to have the Chairman's company run out of town the way they are is unacceptable. Comerica has announced in a very public way that it is Detroit's fault they can't attract talent, and didn't even give our own leadership the opportunity to help out. If he truly took this position seriously, he would have gone to Granholm and Kilpatrick with the company's concerns, explaining that his company is very seriously considering moving out of state because of them, and possibly not only kept his company here, but brought others here as well. Instead, he ran. That is not the sign of someone who deserves to be head of a group like Detroit Renaissance.

Southwestmap
Username: Southwestmap

Post Number: 736
Posted on Monday, March 12, 2007 - 10:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree, Scottr. Its contemptible, shameful that Babb, who was courting Dallas at least long enough for Dallas to come up with a substantial funding offer,wouldn't meet in an executive session with the Mayor of the city from which he was withdrawing his corporate headquarters and explain the action. I bet Doug Rothwell, CEO of Detroit Renaissance and formerly head of the Michigan Economic Growth Corp. was blind-sided, as well.

Genesyxx
Username: Genesyxx

Post Number: 686
Posted on Monday, March 12, 2007 - 10:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Can't exactly contribute to Detroit's Renaissance in Texas, can he? I'm sure he'll resign real soon.

Bobj
Username: Bobj

Post Number: 1760
Posted on Monday, March 12, 2007 - 10:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It is very hypocritical of Babb to being the leader of DR and working on an effort to move his corporate HQ out of town. Maybe it is the right thing for Comerica - I don't know, but we need a Detroit booster in the DR role.

Thnk2mch
Username: Thnk2mch

Post Number: 794
Posted on Monday, March 12, 2007 - 11:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One of the recent articles stated he would resign form this position. I will link it if I find it.

3rdworldcity
Username: 3rdworldcity

Post Number: 508
Posted on Monday, March 12, 2007 - 11:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Scottr: My guess is Babb did not confer w/ Granholm, Kwame et al before electing to move is that he knew it would be like talking to a wall. Not necessarily that they wouldn't listen, but because he knows that they are powerless to change MI's economy at this late date and w/i any reasonable time frame, even if they knew how...and they don't.

He as do many if not most business people in MI view MI as Humpty Dumpty; "all the Kings horses and all the Kings men yadda yadda yadda."

Lmichigan

Post Number: 5205
Posted on Monday, March 12, 2007 - 11:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, Michigan is hopeless/doomed/(insert predictable, hyperbolic, negative adjective), yadda, yadda, yadda...Please, leave, then. We wouldn't want the sky to fall on you, too. Get out while you still can, please.

(Message edited by lmichigan on March 12, 2007)

Mind_field
Username: Mind_field

Post Number: 700
Posted on Monday, March 12, 2007 - 11:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lol @ dialh.

Southwestmap
Username: Southwestmap

Post Number: 737
Posted on Monday, March 12, 2007 - 11:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"he knew it would be like talking to a wall"

There is still a manly, business-like way to do things and there is a sneaky shame-filled way to do things. Regardless of the response Babb may have anticipated or assumed, he was contemptible in his handling of this. Also, he was sneaking around in a very detailed deep-cover way in Dallas. Dallas did not just come up with that economic package on the spur of the moment and out of the blue.

Buyamerican
Username: Buyamerican

Post Number: 2
Posted on Monday, March 12, 2007 - 12:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pb cs.dll/article?AID=/20070312/N ATION/703120321/1020

Comerica moving to Dallas, big business moving out of Dallas. Poetic justice.

Lmichigan

Post Number: 5206
Posted on Monday, March 12, 2007 - 12:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dallas isn't Houston, but maybe you meant Texas. But, yeah, when you're racing to the bottom of the barrel, no one can do it better than tax havens. These places are beginning to be beat at their own game by places able to offer even lower, or even no, taxes. Dubai is the new Switzerland, without the history or class. lol

Buzzman0077
Username: Buzzman0077

Post Number: 16
Posted on Monday, March 12, 2007 - 12:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think that we need to remember that regardless of his support and dedication to the revitalization of Detroit we have to remember that he has to do whats best for Comerica first. I'm not happy that he is taking the corporate HQ and 200 employees out of the region, but the economics dictate it. If this move enables Comerica to stay independent and continue to grow it will help to maintain the much larger portion of jobs they are leaving in Detroit. Which I think is better for us in the long run. Even if it is a huge hit to our regional pride.

Tompage
Username: Tompage

Post Number: 8
Posted on Monday, March 12, 2007 - 12:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Has anyone compiled a list of banks that are headquartered in the City of Detroit? Or at least have their regional offices in the City.

Buzzman0077
Username: Buzzman0077

Post Number: 19
Posted on Monday, March 12, 2007 - 12:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think someone said that Comerica was the last big bank to be HQ'd in Detroit. In the Comerica leaving post.

3rdworldcity

Post Number: 511
Posted on Monday, March 12, 2007 - 1:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Buyamerican/Lmichigan: You're wasting your time gloating. Don't rely in the DetNews.

See the story in today's WSJ, wich is accurate.

Hallibuton is NOT moving to Dubai. Lesar is moving there and Hallibuton will remain headquartered in the U.S.

Lesar is going to be the chief salesman/marketing guy for the company which is way behind other multi-national oil field service service companies in marketing to the middle east and Asia. North America is a mature oil producing area w/ a declining share of H's world-wide business. It appears his move is more for convenience than anything else.

I was a Halliburton customer in TX for quite a while in the early to mid-90's but it became so expensive and so short-staffed in our area that I switched to local companies who were not only cheaper but just as qualified (many owned and run by former Halliburton employees.)

Nevertheless, you can expect to find an increasing number of companies shifting their emphasis to foreign expansion and many will move their headquarters to other countries. The U.S. is in decline just as is MI.

Bobj
Username: Bobj

Post Number: 1767
Posted on Monday, March 12, 2007 - 1:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

3rdworld

NPR and MSN are reporting that Halliburton's HQ is going to Dubai? Are you sure of your version??

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 493
Posted on Monday, March 12, 2007 - 2:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No... the Halliburton HQ is going to Dubai. The staff is staying here. You know, leave the cheap labor behind where it's cheaper to house them? As the WSJ insinuated last week with Comerica HQ going to Dallas and the staff staying behind in Detroit.

Iheartthed

Post Number: 494
Posted on Monday, March 12, 2007 - 2:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think Chase's regional office is still in Detroit.

Thnk2mch
Username: Thnk2mch

Post Number: 795
Posted on Monday, March 12, 2007 - 2:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JPMorgan Chase & Co. (NYSE: JPM) is a leading global financial services firm with assets of $1.4 trillion and operations in more than 50 countries.

Has corporate headquarters in New York and U.S. consumer and commercial banking headquarters in Chicago

http://www.jpmorganchase.com/c m/cs?pagename=Chase/Href&urlna me=jpmc/about

Iheartthed

Post Number: 495
Posted on Monday, March 12, 2007 - 3:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I said "regional".

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 386
Posted on Monday, March 12, 2007 - 7:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Should Comerica Chairman Resign as Detroit Renaissance Head?

Absolutely. He should have been ousted already.

Trainman
Username: Trainman

Post Number: 357
Posted on Tuesday, March 13, 2007 - 9:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

YES

With 200 fewer jobs in Michigan, it will hurt all of us.

So please have compassion and understand that it is not money that is important but to treat others with respect and dignity and always help your neighbors and to follow the golden rule by treating others the way you want to be treated.

So, let's all work together and fight the Michigan Department of Transportation BILLION dollar freeway in downtown Detroit together by all standing together and filling up all the SMART and DDOT buses. Then all the wheelchair lifts will be fixed and also this will help the city of Detroit.

Detroit needs the help of the suburbs and the suburbs needs Detroit, so please let's all join together in this forum and bring back Michigan and jobs.

http://savethefueltax.tripod.c om/theplan.html

Mayor_sekou
Username: Mayor_sekou

Post Number: 598
Posted on Tuesday, March 13, 2007 - 10:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^^^LOL.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 246
Posted on Wednesday, March 14, 2007 - 12:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Do you really think Babb just up and decided to move Comerica's HQ? And so off they went? My guess is that more likely, the board decided that's what was going to happen and there wasn't jack Babb could do about it, regardless of his opinion. Don't put so much credit in CEO's. They get paid too much for what they do, they get credit for too much of what they they do, and they get blamed for too much of what they do.

Lmichigan

Post Number: 5225
Posted on Wednesday, March 14, 2007 - 12:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You don't have to believe he schemed this move to know that he shouldn't any longer be the head of Detroit Renaissance.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 247
Posted on Wednesday, March 14, 2007 - 12:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No, I agree Lmichigan. I just don't think the man should be labeled the worst anti-Detroiter in history because his company moved its HQ.

If they continue to sponsor Tastefest, and other events and improvements in the city, even with an HQ in Detroit, they aren't that bad. We'll have to see. If some company that was never HQ'd here started sponsoring our events and putting money in to the city, we wouldn't mind so much. I'm still plenty mad at Comerica for doing this, but this thread was getting very anti-Babb, as though it was all his idea.

Scottr

Post Number: 395
Posted on Wednesday, March 14, 2007 - 1:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just to clarify my previous position - I would love to see him still involved in Detroit Renaissance - other non-Detroit companies are, including pfizer, AT&T, fifth third bank, and chase. Any and all involvement from these companies is welcome. I just don't feel he should be the chairman after moving the company out in such a way.

johnlodge - As for who decided what within Comerica, before absolving Babb of any responsibility to place the blame on the rest of the board, you may wish to look at who is on the board of directors first. To start, Babb is not only the President and CEO, but the Chairman of the Board - hardly a powerless position. Other people on the board are from Detroit area companies like Masco, Pulte, DTE, Taubman, and Lear. So who would have made the decision to move to Dallas? I'm willing to bet this started with the higher executives within the company - NOT the rest of the board.

3rdworldcity

Post Number: 526
Posted on Wednesday, March 14, 2007 - 11:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Scottr: Why would you bet on something like that?

Scottr

Post Number: 396
Posted on Wednesday, March 14, 2007 - 2:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

figure of speech, i don't actually gamble. I'm merely saying that i don't agree with johnlodge's assessment that it was most likely the board leading the charge.

If I was cynical, I would say it's the executives that wanted to move to warmer weather. the board is still stuck here at their day jobs.

Less cynically, the board doesn't handle day to day operations. Recruitment is mostly handled within a company, not by the board of directors. CEO searches and such are an exception, but that's not who they are trying to recruit.

Don't take it as absolving the board of responsibility, they would have had to agree with this.

3rdworldcity

Post Number: 529
Posted on Wednesday, March 14, 2007 - 2:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bobj: Responding to your post # 1767; my source was a WSJ article, which I had already tossed.

However, on pg A8 of today's WSJ Halliburton points out that in its original announcement it stated Dubai would be "a" corporate headquarters but it has since stated unequivically that Halliburton will "remain a U.S. company with its main office in Houston."

(Message edited by 3rdworldcity on March 14, 2007)

(Message edited by 3rdworldcity on March 14, 2007)

Johnlodge

Post Number: 251
Posted on Wednesday, March 14, 2007 - 2:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Interview with Ralph Babb by Paul W. Smith.

http://wjr.com/Article.asp?id= 363855&spid=6521

(Message edited by johnlodge on March 14, 2007)

Queensfinest
Username: Queensfinest

Post Number: 58
Posted on Wednesday, March 14, 2007 - 8:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

1. This douchebag Babb should probably avoid showing his face in Michigan.

2. However, many growing Texas cities are no longer in many ways the backwards places that I've seen them described as on this forum.

There was an article about the city of Houston today in the Times. These places are cutting edge in a lot of ways and Detroit and Michigan could learn a lot from their models. Economically at least.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/03 /14/realestate/commercial/14Re al.html

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 1852
Posted on Wednesday, March 14, 2007 - 8:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nope. Houston won't stay like that for long. It's just in a boom cycle right now.

Texas' dependancy on the oil/energy biz is worse than Michigan's was on autos.

Bratt
Username: Bratt

Post Number: 511
Posted on Wednesday, March 14, 2007 - 8:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Citizens Bank in Flint is now the largest Michigan Bank. They should really take advantage of that position.

Lmichigan

Post Number: 5228
Posted on Wednesday, March 14, 2007 - 8:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just because they are now the largest bank, doesn't make them anything more than what they are right now, and that's a regional bank. What are they supposed to take advantage of, and how?

Queensfinest

Post Number: 59
Posted on Wednesday, March 14, 2007 - 9:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lilpup, Houston's dependance on energy is by no means worse than Detroit's was and continues to be on autos.

First of all the culture prevalent in Detroit, still , has been one that failed to stress the importance of education in favor of some backwoods idea that anyone and everyone could get a high paying unskilled job in an auto plant. This is not the culture in Houston.

The article mentions that the only other place with more large companies is New York City. Houston is more comparable to NYC than it is to Detroit.

Houston is a city with a diversified economy. They are leaders in areas such as finance, energy, alternative energy development, aerospace, science and technology, biotech, and computer related industries including major players like Dell and Hewlett Packard.

The area has the largest medical campus in the country and probably three times as many college students per capita at much more reputable universities as does Michigan overall. Michigan has one university ranked in the top 50 in the country, a pretty poor stat for a state of 10 million.

Their port is perhaps the largest in the country and serves an expanding region where people actually move to for a better way of life. Imagine that!

I'm from NYC and I don't agree with a lot of what Texas represents, the sprawl, lingering attitudes, etc, but I don't think you can argue that as of today, cities like Houston are far more progressive, diversified, and successful economically than places like Detroit.

Queensfinest

Post Number: 60
Posted on Wednesday, March 14, 2007 - 9:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Plus, they don't have to deal with shitty winter weather. That's a plus.

Lilpup

Post Number: 1854
Posted on Wednesday, March 14, 2007 - 9:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I'm from NYC

What's your Detroit connection?

3rdworldcity

Post Number: 533
Posted on Wednesday, March 14, 2007 - 10:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lilpup post #1852: "Texas' dependency on the oil/energy biz is worse than Michigan's was on auto."

How can you be, post after post, so absolutely clueless? (Sorry, Gistok.) Based on your grammar etc you appear to be intelligent, so I guess you knowingly spew the above nonsense on purpose, to see who'll bite.

I've operated very profitable oil/energy businesses in TX for 17 years, and had real estate interests before that. TX is by no means as "dependent" on energy as it was 20 years ago. TX business is widely diversified, including aerospace, computers, agriculture, chemicals, manufacturing, banking and finance, and medicine. [The largest employer in TX is the Texas Medical Center in Houston. It has 73,000 employees, 45 member medical institutions including 14 world leading hospitals, several medical schools with 22,000 students, $3.5 BILLION of medical research from "00 to "04, 6,000+ beds etc ad infinitum.]

Based on your posts I am convinced you have a closed mind on a variety of subjects. You appear to work at it.

So, I'm probably wasting bandwidth, but why don't you check out the TX website at http://www.state.tx.us/

Better yet, go to http://www.bidc.state.tx.us/50 state/result.cfm for a comprehensive heads-up comparison of TX and MI in about 100 categories. MI even excels in some categories, not many. Then, if you have even an inkling of how business operates, you'll wonder what took Comerica so long to concentrate its future growth in that state. You'll probably want to join them.

Lilpup

Post Number: 1855
Posted on Wednesday, March 14, 2007 - 10:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LMAO

somebody's hat's too tight

Houston's not going anywhere that a slew of other cities haven't already been

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 3804
Posted on Wednesday, March 14, 2007 - 11:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LOL at 3WC... :-)

Um with Comerica moving to Texas, I take that to mean that eventually some of those Michigan Directors who voted for the move will not be renominated for their director posts... after all Mr. Babb will want to change the board to more reflect their new location with sunbelt directors. Am I wrong?

3rdworldcity

Post Number: 534
Posted on Thursday, March 15, 2007 - 12:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lilpup: Brilliant response. Why not address the issues?

The second site I posted above doesn't work.

Try http://www.bidc.state.tx.us/50 state

Use the drop-down menu to select MI and check all the boxes beneath it.

You will learn not only more about TX but you'll learn more about MI than you knew before. GUARANTEED. It's very informative.

Gistok, you're usually pretty erudite and reasonable. Why don't you check out the site, give your opinion, and suggest Lilpup do the same. Then maybe there can be some rational discussion on this thread and maybe someone can come up with reasonable proposals about how to improve MI. That site's a roadmap.

And the TX state website posted above is well worth exploring. Very impressive.

Queensfinest

Post Number: 61
Posted on Thursday, March 15, 2007 - 9:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lilpup, I lived in Detroit for most of the 90s and have a degree from Wayne State. I still visit several times a year since some of my family lives there.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.