Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Livernois = livernios??? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Emuaaron
Username: Emuaaron

Post Number: 12
Posted on Sunday, March 11, 2007 - 10:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

On eastbound 94 they replaced the Livernois sign with a "LiverNIOS" sign. We weren't able to get a picture of it, but hopefully someone will be able to post a picture of it.

Korridorkid
Username: Korridorkid

Post Number: 74
Posted on Sunday, March 11, 2007 - 10:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Okay, good!...I'm glad im not the only one who saw that!

Man, you'd think they'd really REALLY double check those things for spelling. I wonder if that happens often.

If you get onto I-94 Eastbound from Ford Road after Wyoming or the Michigan Ave. on ramp it's only about 40-80 yards away on the next 1-2 overpasses.

Maybe the city will post the sign on e-Bay after they take it down (haha!)

Bearinabox
Username: Bearinabox

Post Number: 117
Posted on Sunday, March 11, 2007 - 11:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The sign at Woodward and Antoinette used to say "Antionette," but I'm pretty sure they corrected it when they switched to the new design.

B24liberator
Username: B24liberator

Post Number: 58
Posted on Sunday, March 11, 2007 - 11:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sadly it happens often, and the eventual misspelling sometimes become more or less set in stone... For example: I grew up in a small Washtenaw village on a road named Schleweis. When the county came through updating the signs from the old black lettering on white background to yellow lettering on blue, they posted new signs that read "Schleeweis." Wrongo! When we called (my family) to point out the error, we got the "We'll look into it..." Which of course, is otherwise known as the bureaucratic run around. Skip a few years later, and I noticed that local area maps are being printed with the updated, though incorrect spelling. I called one of them (map co.'s) to point out the continuing errors. They said: "We'll look into it..." To my surprise, this wasn't the "brush-off" as they called me back a few days later, saying more or less, "Sorry, but that spelling is what your county is giving us..." So now short of wading through more red-tinted paperwork, and girding myself for bureaucratic warfare, the new spelling stands. I remember being asked (by the map people) if not, perhaps I could be in error... Whereas I informed them, that it wasn't likely as I was living at the old SCHLEWEIS family homestead (1870's) at the time, and saw various family members names burned into the barn wall, and dated as well, from Johann (signed 1882) to Peter (1920-something)and all spelled with one less "E"-- I hope the spirits of these hardy German pioneers aren't spinning about their graves.......

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 215
Posted on Monday, March 12, 2007 - 12:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When I was young I lived on a street called "Edwood". We were on the corner and had the street sign in our yard. It read "Elwood". I always thought it was fantastic. Elwood Blues.

Mrs. Murphy: Help you two?
Elwood: Do you have any white bread ma'am?
Mrs. Murphy: Yeah.
Elwood: I'll have some toasted white bread please.
Mrs. Murphy: You want butter or jam on that, honey?
Elwood: No ma'am, dry.

Ntrance
Username: Ntrance

Post Number: 11
Posted on Monday, March 12, 2007 - 12:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For a few days in 1992 up in Lansing, MDOT had I-69 going to Detroit. This large overhead sign was on US-127 southbound.

Don't forget the four fried chickens and a coke.

Ntrance

Posted on Monday, March 12, 2007 - 12:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh, and if I might gripe: I'll pay good money for someone to take a sawzall to the final "S" on the "CONNORS CREEK PUMPING STATION" A little literacy goes a long way. But then, I suppose it fits: people live near Connors Creek, and go to work at Fords...

(Message edited by Ntrance on March 12, 2007)

Johnlodge

Post Number: 217
Posted on Monday, March 12, 2007 - 12:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Don't forget the four fried chickens and a coke."

I like you already Ntrance. Welcome to the forums. ;)

Psip
Username: Psip

Post Number: 1545
Posted on Monday, March 12, 2007 - 12:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^^^ and shop at Kmarts.

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 4985
Posted on Monday, March 12, 2007 - 3:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

jjaba's business sign in laundry.

Our credit manager is Helen Waite.
If you need credit, go to Helen Waite.

jjaba, Westsider.

Jjaba

Post Number: 4986
Posted on Monday, March 12, 2007 - 3:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Who lives near Lasher Road?

jjaba.

Jjaba

Post Number: 4988
Posted on Monday, March 12, 2007 - 3:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Francis Livernois Street named in 1872.The street runs the entire length of Detroit, a true arterial.

He thought it was jim dandy that his entire street would be dedicated to used car lots.
At one point, he asked that the name be changed to Beater Blvd.

jjaba.

Udmphikapbob
Username: Udmphikapbob

Post Number: 293
Posted on Monday, March 12, 2007 - 8:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

not a street, but the sign at the Pied Piper liquor store across from UDM says "Champange".

has since at least 1995...

Mcwalbucksnfitch
Username: Mcwalbucksnfitch

Post Number: 53
Posted on Monday, March 12, 2007 - 9:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Haha I totally saw this on my way home from Dearborn yesterday morning, I didn't know how long it had been there so I wasn't going to say anything

Johnlodge

Post Number: 223
Posted on Monday, March 12, 2007 - 10:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Northland Roller Rink on 8-Mile (or as we like to call it, the "Stab n' Skate") has a huge banner accross the front of it that in very big letters says WE DO GREAT BIRTHDAY PARTY!

The simple fact that it's SO BIG and nobody noticed/cared when they put it up is what cracks me up.

Emuaaron
Username: Emuaaron

Post Number: 13
Posted on Monday, March 12, 2007 - 10:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I also really like Nationalwide Furniture on Gratiot near French.

Guy 1: So, how big is your furniture company?
Guy 2: Oh, it's national wide!

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 1432
Posted on Monday, March 12, 2007 - 10:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The worst offender is Mt. Elliott, the street. Two L's, two T's, if you please.

Track75
Username: Track75

Post Number: 2516
Posted on Monday, March 12, 2007 - 11:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Ferndale Quick-Lube's main sign read
"Frendale Quick-Lube" for several years.

Ask a Cadillac dealer how often the customer writes a check to the dealer and spells it "Caddilac". Answer: every day. The correct spelling is on the side/back/inside of the car they've been driving every day for years.

Fury13

Post Number: 1435
Posted on Monday, March 12, 2007 - 12:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There's a collision shop on John R between 6 and 7 Mile roads with a sign out front: "Jhon R Auto Body."

There's a sports clothing shop on Woodward in Highland Park with a sign, "Strickly Sportswear," on the front (yet on the side, it says "Strictly Sportswear").

There was a liquor store on Harper that proclaimed, "Detroit's Finness Cognac." "Finness" was later painted over to read "Finest."

Beavis1981
Username: Beavis1981

Post Number: 336
Posted on Monday, March 12, 2007 - 12:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Track- I used to work at don massey in high school. enough said.

Mikem
Username: Mikem

Post Number: 3188
Posted on Monday, March 12, 2007 - 12:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ntrance, don't be too quick to criticize. The stream for decades was spelled on maps as Connor's Creek. At the time the pumping station was built, Connors Creek was the norm. Somewhere along the way the apostrophe was dropped and eventually the spelling changed to Conners Creek, and the adjacent street spelled as either Connors or Conners. Finally, the the extra S was dropped from the street name. If the USGS is to be used as the authoritative source, then it's still Conners Creek.

Billybbrew
Username: Billybbrew

Post Number: 267
Posted on Monday, March 12, 2007 - 1:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember a few years ago the signage for Lahser was spelled Lasher on the Lodge or 696, not sure which it was for sure, but I remember it.

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 2058
Posted on Monday, March 12, 2007 - 1:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Also on 696, for a while when initially installed, the sign for the Southfield Pavilion was incorrect: Southfield Pavilon.

Jjaba

Post Number: 4989
Posted on Monday, March 12, 2007 - 2:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A very common mistake is CAPITOL HIGHWAY VS. CAPITAL HIGHWAY. jjaba has lived in two places where these are all twisted. The city can name it one way, and as you roll down the street, everybody spells it their own way.

When you see it on business signs wrong or on coupons for those businesses, it drives jjaba plum nuts.

jjaba.

Jjaba

Post Number: 4990
Posted on Monday, March 12, 2007 - 2:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For example, you are driving on CAPITOL. Then you see a contractor's sign, CAPITAL DETOUR LEFT.
Drives a guy nuts.

jjaba.

Ntrance

Post Number: 13
Posted on Monday, March 12, 2007 - 10:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mikem: Thanks for setting me straight. This forum teaches me a heck of a lot!

65memories
Username: 65memories

Post Number: 356
Posted on Monday, March 12, 2007 - 11:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For Jjaba's benefit (and for what it's worth)...I remember J.P. McCarthy interviewing a member of the Lahser family, of whom the street was named. The family member said the family pronounces their last name LASHer.

Jjaba

Post Number: 4995
Posted on Tuesday, March 13, 2007 - 2:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sweet. 65memories tells it like it tis.

jjaba.

Crash_nyc
Username: Crash_nyc

Post Number: 781
Posted on Tuesday, March 13, 2007 - 4:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Funny. We had a somewhat related story in the news here yesterday.
http://wcbstv.com/watercooler/local_story_071174442.html

When I attended U of D High, I remember some of the students from the suburbs (mostly Freshmen) arguing with us that it should be pronounced "Liver-noise". They learned soon enough...

Rbdetsport
Username: Rbdetsport

Post Number: 250
Posted on Tuesday, March 13, 2007 - 10:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I saw them changing this sign on Saturday while driving down I94.

Harpernottingham
Username: Harpernottingham

Post Number: 139
Posted on Tuesday, March 13, 2007 - 10:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I like to call Gratiot north of 8 Mile "the Avenue of Illiteracy." With each block you pass, you begin to notice a pattern:

Jewelry store
Pawn Shop
Typo

Jewelry store
Pawn Shop
Typo

Jewelry store
Pawn Shop
Typo

Fareastsider
Username: Fareastsider

Post Number: 236
Posted on Tuesday, March 13, 2007 - 11:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Speaking of Gratiot North of 8 mile take a look at this next time your heading north on Gratiot. This is the effects of a terrible sign ordinance. At 10 mile it becomes Roseville. Look at the difference in UGLY cluttered signs when compared to Eastpointe. Gratiot in Eastpointe or er uh East Detroit....no i mean Halfway.....or Erin Twp.....anyways Gratiot looks much nicer in that city than Roseville and it is very noticable when you pass 10 Mile Rd.

Fury13

Post Number: 1439
Posted on Tuesday, March 13, 2007 - 11:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fareastsider, I've noticed that for some time too. Eastpointe's commercial area looks well kept and clutter-free when compared to Roseville. The difference is dramatic when you cross 10 Mile.

From what I've seen, Eastpointe's residential areas, including streets and sidewalks, are better maintained (and cleaner) than in Roseville, too.

Gtat44
Username: Gtat44

Post Number: 58
Posted on Tuesday, March 13, 2007 - 11:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's why they called it Roachville, when we were growing up!

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 1216
Posted on Tuesday, March 13, 2007 - 11:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Speaking of "Liver-noise", although I'm reasonably educated, I have a helluva time keeping myself from pronouncing the "s" in "Illinois". I grew up with my folks calling it "illi-noise", and it just caught on with me.

Dah.

Ericdetfan
Username: Ericdetfan

Post Number: 36
Posted on Tuesday, March 13, 2007 - 1:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

manfield auto parts on warren ave had 2 different signs on their building for years...one said "Mansfield" and the other said "Manfield" They changed the one with the "s" eventually though. Its funny why the would spell it with out the "s", though because "Mansfield" St. is just a few blocks away.

Urbanize
Username: Urbanize

Post Number: 133
Posted on Tuesday, March 13, 2007 - 2:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Speaking of "Liver-noise", although I'm reasonably educated, I have a helluva time keeping myself from pronouncing the "s" in "Illinois". I grew up with my folks calling it "illi-noise", and it just caught on with me.

Dah."

Doesn't everyone say "Ili-noise"? Even folks in the state say "Illi-noise".

Johnlodge

Post Number: 241
Posted on Tuesday, March 13, 2007 - 3:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I always thought it was Illi-noy

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 1689
Posted on Tuesday, March 13, 2007 - 4:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've heard that those who live there prefer Illi-noy.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 8514
Posted on Tuesday, March 13, 2007 - 4:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought people just referred to it as Chicago.

Michmeister
Username: Michmeister

Post Number: 133
Posted on Tuesday, March 13, 2007 - 4:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How do you pronounce the capital of Kentucky, Louie-ville or Louavul (phon.)?

Jjaba

Post Number: 4998
Posted on Tuesday, March 13, 2007 - 5:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Frankfort, Michmeister you're a clown. jjaba couldn't let you slide.

Ok, so name cities of 5 state capitols which end in "City".

Try that one on for size, Michmeister.

jjaba, Westsider.

Urbanize

Post Number: 135
Posted on Tuesday, March 13, 2007 - 5:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I thought people just referred to it as Chicago."

They do also.

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 1693
Posted on Tuesday, March 13, 2007 - 6:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The south side of Chicago or the really, really big south side. :-)

Jjaba

Post Number: 5004
Posted on Tuesday, March 13, 2007 - 6:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

People who live there, don't say Illinoise.
If so, where?

jjaba lived there, never heard that. He lived in Chicago and Urbana-Champaign.

Just like Detroiters who don't say Livernoise.

jjaba.

Jjaba

Post Number: 5005
Posted on Tuesday, March 13, 2007 - 6:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroiters don't say Grati-ott or Grah-shey.
It's Gra-shit or Gra-shut.

jjaba.

Mcwalbucksnfitch
Username: Mcwalbucksnfitch

Post Number: 54
Posted on Tuesday, March 13, 2007 - 9:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cadge-yew (Cadieux) has always been a favorite of mine

Urbanize

Post Number: 138
Posted on Tuesday, March 13, 2007 - 9:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I like Charlevioux (see, can't even spell it, lol).

Urbanize

Post Number: 139
Posted on Tuesday, March 13, 2007 - 9:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That street and Schoenherr always sturck me as the oddest while streets like Gratiot and Cadieux seem straight forward.

Trainman
Username: Trainman

Post Number: 367
Posted on Monday, March 19, 2007 - 10:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We should rename the SMART bus system, if they don't come to Livonia.

Come BACK !!! Come BACK !!! Come BACK !!!

We need good bus service as Livonia Transit is failing to meet the needs of community transit. Yes, we will help the SMART transit officials fight for more state money for the crippled.

So, please come back soon.

http://savethefueltax.tripod.c om/remain3.html

Missnmich
Username: Missnmich

Post Number: 580
Posted on Tuesday, March 20, 2007 - 9:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

People who live there, don't say Illinoise.

Jjaba is right. In fact, I know people from that state who pronounce it "Ellinois" like "melk" and pellow"

Miketeevee
Username: Miketeevee

Posted on Tuesday, March 20, 2007 - 10:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone remember the Golden Lion restaurant on Moross near Mack? Their sign read "Food and Spirts" (instead of "Spirits") for years. I remember being a 10 year old and calling them to let them know. They didn't seem to care.

Jjaba

Post Number: 5041
Posted on Tuesday, March 20, 2007 - 1:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

jjaba's fav. story is motel signs.
Many older motels are owned by Indians named Patel. jjaba got a sign fixed in 4 hours, a sign out of repair for yrs.

So jjaba sees a motel sign with the "T" unlit.
In Hebrew, a moel (or mohel) is the rabbi who does circumcisions.

So if you sign is 15 ft. tall, and reads MO EL, every Jew on the Interstate is laughing to the toilet.

jjaba, Livernois Bar Mitzvah Bukkor.

Michmeister

Post Number: 142
Posted on Tuesday, March 20, 2007 - 4:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

jjaba, you almost had a cleaning bill for my trousers on your hands, almost peed in them laughing. On the Frankfort thing, you coulda given me at least more than 45 minutes of slack. On the other hand, I should have known better than to try something like that on the forum. Oklahoma City, Carson City, all I can think of without cheating.

Jjaba

Post Number: 5044
Posted on Tuesday, March 20, 2007 - 10:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Michmeister, and you thought jjaba just fell off a turnip truck, eh. jjaba learned his Capitals in 4th grade, Noble School on Fullerton and Ohio St., Westside.

5 capitals with "city" in the name are:

Salt Lake City
Carson City
Jefferson City
Oklahoma City
Quebec City.

The last one was a laugher, a lagniappe.
jjaba waiting for somebody to piss and moan about his list, but frankfortly, nobody but michmeister even played.

jjaba, jes havin' fun.

Missnmich
Username: Missnmich

Post Number: 581
Posted on Wednesday, March 21, 2007 - 10:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ok, so name cities of 5 state capitols which end in "City".

Jjaba, you said STATE capitals, not provincial!

This game is not up to your usual standards ...
Piss and moan, piss and moan ...

(Message edited by missnmich on March 21, 2007)

Michmeister

Post Number: 146
Posted on Thursday, March 22, 2007 - 4:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You forgot the capital of the 51st state-Mexico City.

Bulletmagnet
Username: Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 125
Posted on Thursday, March 22, 2007 - 5:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There was a hand painted sign on a garage door near E. Warren and Cadillac which read: "NO PACKING"

Chris_rohn
Username: Chris_rohn

Post Number: 282
Posted on Thursday, March 22, 2007 - 5:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There was a storefront church on Woodward in Highland Park that had a big "REVIAVL" banner hung up for a year or so.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.