Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Mexican Restaurants with vegetarian options « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Lukabottle
Username: Lukabottle

Post Number: 18
Posted on Thursday, March 08, 2007 - 10:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone know of a Mexican restaurant on the southwest side that has some options for vegetarians. I am taking two student assistants out as a thank you for a project they worked on and failed to realize one was vegetarian. They are both really excited to go to the southwest side and try Mexican.

Cambrian
Username: Cambrian

Post Number: 742
Posted on Thursday, March 08, 2007 - 10:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

These are vegetarians, not vegans right? They'll eat dairy? Cheese quesadilla, or how about a veggie, can't recall the name.....the sizzling dish they bring out on the skillet. Just have 'em leave the meat out. These are simple requests most restaurants would honor.

Psewick
Username: Psewick

Post Number: 80
Posted on Thursday, March 08, 2007 - 11:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I believe Los Galanes in Mexicantown (3362 Bagley St) has lard-free beans.

Penelopetheduck
Username: Penelopetheduck

Post Number: 7
Posted on Thursday, March 08, 2007 - 11:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

mi pueblo on dix doesn't use lard and they are delicious

Homer
Username: Homer

Post Number: 103
Posted on Thursday, March 08, 2007 - 11:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mi Pueblo also has seafood dishes if that is acceptable.

Brougham
Username: Brougham

Post Number: 12
Posted on Thursday, March 08, 2007 - 12:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mi Pueblo is excellent, they have an extensive menu of authentic dishes and home made deserts to go as well. Right across the street is a small neighborhood store that has homemade items as well as imported.

Barnesfoto
Username: Barnesfoto

Post Number: 3138
Posted on Thursday, March 08, 2007 - 12:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

El Barzon on Junction south of Michigan has great Mexican and Italian food. Great pasta!
Just don't let them try the red sauce that comes with the chips.

Lukabottle

Post Number: 19
Posted on Thursday, March 08, 2007 - 1:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the quick feedback. I think Los Galanes maybe the best option. The person is not vegan but I wasn't sure how lard would impact that if it is a religious reason. I'll look up Mi Pueblo to. If my boss thinks that isn't to far.

Zutalors
Username: Zutalors

Post Number: 1
Posted on Thursday, March 08, 2007 - 1:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As another option, Armando's has a vegetarian fajitas meal that's pretty good--fried onions, peppers, tomatoes and squash. (*I* get it a lot, and I'm not even vegetarian.) I have a pretty hard-core vegan friend who gets this when she goes to Armando's, so I have reason to believe it's actually vegetarian, as opposed to just mostly-made-from-vegetables. I don't know if Armando's beans are made from lard, but you can get double rice-no beans in place of the usual rice and beans if you ask.

Southwestmap
Username: Southwestmap

Post Number: 728
Posted on Thursday, March 08, 2007 - 2:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I wasn't sure how lard would impact that if it is a religious reason."

Lard is rendered from a specific type of clear white fat found near the pork belly - "leaf lard."
For those who are not prohibited by religion from eating pork, or who are not vegetarians: lard can be better for your heart than hydrogenated fats such as crisco. The stuff in the supermarket, tho, is hydrogenated and thus has trans fats.

"Lard gets a bad rap.

Once a staple of a number of cuisines, the word has been spoken more as an epithet in recent decades than as an ingredient. That is beginning to change though, as fat-phobia begins to fade and gastronomes rediscover the joys of pig fat.

A number of food writers have pointed out that pure lard is healthier than the butter Julia Child so vigorously defended, having less saturated fat and more monounsaturated fat. It is also touted as a rich source of vitamin D.

The catch is, you have to make your own. The lard available in stores is hydrogenated, meaning it has the trans fats the health community wants you to avoid like the plague.

The good news is, once you get your hands on some pig fat, the process is pretty easy.

"Chinese restaurants use a ton of it" said Bill Lake, owner of Simply Meats in Rutland. "That's one of the main ingredients for stir frying. Some bakers might use it, too, especially if they're using old-style recipes."

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 2711
Posted on Thursday, March 08, 2007 - 2:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The store across from Mi pueblo is owned by the same extended family (Lopez, among several other surnames).

There's nothing exceptional about that store, though. Just about every other grocery-type or convenience store in Mexicantown has similar items or more.

(Message edited by LivernoisYard on March 08, 2007)

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 1422
Posted on Thursday, March 08, 2007 - 3:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Southwestmap, lard may not be that bad for you, but I guarantee you that vegetarians won't eat dishes made with it because it is an animal fat. There's no getting around that. Most vegetarians won't eat foods made with gelatin either.

I feed lard to my dogs to keep weight on. They love it.

Southwestmap
Username: Southwestmap

Post Number: 730
Posted on Thursday, March 08, 2007 - 3:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree, and that's why I wrote:
"For those who are not prohibited by religion from eating pork, or who are not vegetarians..."

Chris_rohn
Username: Chris_rohn

Post Number: 280
Posted on Thursday, March 08, 2007 - 3:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

El Zocalo is the only restaurant in Mexican Town that I am aware of that has both chicken-free rice and lard-free beans. If there are others please let me know!

Lukabottle

Post Number: 21
Posted on Thursday, March 08, 2007 - 4:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I didn't think about the rice issue. Good to know that El Zocalo is another option.

Troy
Username: Troy

Post Number: 198
Posted on Thursday, March 08, 2007 - 5:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am a vegetarian and I usually eat at taqueria Mi Pueblo just because it is way off the strip and locally authentic with live music at times. The have good Horchata as well. Xochimilco uses non lard beans and is the main stop for many mexican town regulars. Senor Lopez on Michigan ave is a great little joint serving vegetarian beans and vegetarian chili relleno.

Those are the three places I hit often. Eve's tamales have some good vegetarian tamale options however you have to call them, I think 3 hrs in advance for them.

I am not sure of your guest but knowing their diet restrictions is important. Seafood is never vegetarian and of course neither is Lard. Religious or non religious vegetarians do not eat anything that harms an animal. Ovo-lacto vegetarians will do dairy (milk, cheese) Vegans will eat nothing from an animal (including honey)

Hope that helps.

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 2715
Posted on Thursday, March 08, 2007 - 5:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The only poor food review that Mi Pueblo had concerned their rice. The review said their rice five years ago was "bland." I suppose they altered their cooking of rice after that review...

Michigansheik
Username: Michigansheik

Post Number: 181
Posted on Friday, March 09, 2007 - 12:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

MI PUEBLO is top shelf, clean, and they can handle special requests!
Armandos is 2nd place, IMO

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.