Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Importing Toxic Waste « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Keystone
Username: Keystone

Post Number: 241
Posted on Thursday, March 08, 2007 - 10:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I suppose this sort of thing is happening every day. Is there any local media coverage?

This is from a Green Bay area newspaper:

Fox PCB waste will be trucked to Detroit-area landfill

By Paul Brinkmann
pbrinkma@greenbaypressgazette. com

DE PERE, WI — Toxic waste from a pollution hot spot in the Fox River will be trucked to the Detroit area for final disposal, companies involved in the cleanup announced today...

Watch out for freshly washed trucks!

Ladyinabag
Username: Ladyinabag

Post Number: 44
Posted on Thursday, March 08, 2007 - 4:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Where are they going to dump it?

Southwestmap
Username: Southwestmap

Post Number: 731
Posted on Thursday, March 08, 2007 - 4:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Looks like Wayne, MI - the only landfill in the midwest that can accept such toxic waste. They are so proud!

Beavis1981
Username: Beavis1981

Post Number: 331
Posted on Thursday, March 08, 2007 - 4:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

All I know is can now see the top of the auburn hills dump over the treeline at my house.

Ladyinabag

Post Number: 48
Posted on Thursday, March 08, 2007 - 4:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Where is the Auburn Hills dump? I didn't know that there was a dump in Auburn Hills.

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 1659
Posted on Thursday, March 08, 2007 - 5:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Weird. I just had a chat in the driveway with a footsoldier from http://www.cleanwateraction.or g . They're running a letterwriting campaign asking Sen. Sanborn to stop out-of-state trash by raising dumping charges from 21¢/ton to $7.50/ton and banning new landfills until 2012.

Yaktown
Username: Yaktown

Post Number: 123
Posted on Thursday, March 08, 2007 - 6:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Auburn Hills dump...err, landfill is just north of the Palace on M-24/Lapeer Road. Can't miss it really, it's on the west side of the road. Ironically, there's a McDonald's right in front of it.

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 1660
Posted on Thursday, March 08, 2007 - 6:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cool. I just wrote an old-fashioned hand-crafted snail-mail letter to Lansing. Nostalgic. :-)

Ladyinabag

Post Number: 55
Posted on Friday, March 09, 2007 - 11:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yaktown-

I know where it is. Isn't there a mobile home park there as well? Do you suppose that THEY are surrounding us?

(Message edited by ladyinabag on March 09, 2007)

7milekid
Username: 7milekid

Post Number: 175
Posted on Friday, March 09, 2007 - 2:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

well maybe if everyone would start recycling a little more then the landfills wouldnt be so full.

Dds
Username: Dds

Post Number: 162
Posted on Friday, March 09, 2007 - 3:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Boycott Wisconsin cheese until they agree to send no more toxic waste to our state.

Mikeg
Username: Mikeg

Post Number: 662
Posted on Friday, March 09, 2007 - 10:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

well maybe if everyone would start recycling a little more then the landfills wouldnt be so full.

Michigan's problem is that we have an excess capacity of partially-filled landfills. An over supply of landfills and competition between them causes the tipping fees to drop as they lower their prices to get new contracts.

Why does Michigan have an over-supply of landfills? Look back to the Blanchard era and their solution to an alleged crisis that we were running out of landfills. Their solution was to mandate that every county in the state develop a solid waste plan and allow for the creation of at least one landfill in each county (unless two counties agreed to combine their effort). This is why Michigan landfills are charging 21¢/ton and it is cost-effective for places like Toronto to ship their solid waste such a long distance to landfills in Wayne and Macomb Counties.

Now Sen. Sanborn wants to stop out-of-state trash by raising tipping fees to $7.50/ton and banning new landfills until 2012. Since the states cannot regulate interstate/international commerce, people in Michigan as well as Ontario will all have to pay this higher fee. To get around this, Sen. Sanborn is also proposing that Michigan taxpayers be given an income tax credit to recover the added costs this legislation will impose on them.

Sen. Sanborn is proposing that the State Legislature create a new mandate and income tax provision to "solve" a problem they created 20 years ago when they decided to intervene instead of letting the free market solve the alleged problem.

Someone, please save us from the ineptitude of our lawmakers!

Angry_dad
Username: Angry_dad

Post Number: 146
Posted on Saturday, March 10, 2007 - 10:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

But Stabenow said she stopped this?

I am so jealous of states that have hard core jerks that are centered on issues that enhance the existance of their states. I'm sick of having a couple of "change the world" Senators that have totally forgotten what they are supposed to do in Washington.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.