Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Shooting at Dow high school in Midland « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Ericdetfan
Username: Ericdetfan

Post Number: 27
Posted on Wednesday, March 07, 2007 - 4:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/200 70307/ap_on_re_us/school_shoot ing

at least they got Detroits' location in relation correct this time. lol

Billybbrew
Username: Billybbrew

Post Number: 256
Posted on Wednesday, March 07, 2007 - 4:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Holy Shit....H. H. Dow High School Class of '88 here!!!

Blort
Username: Blort

Post Number: 54
Posted on Wednesday, March 07, 2007 - 6:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe all those toxins Dow Chemical pumped into the soil is rubbing off on the children.

Missnmich
Username: Missnmich

Post Number: 576
Posted on Wednesday, March 07, 2007 - 8:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Better living through chemistry.

6nois
Username: 6nois

Post Number: 84
Posted on Wednesday, March 07, 2007 - 8:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am in Bay City right now, it's a sad story. I can't say much about the chemicals, Dow Corning regularly gave money to my high school.

Billybbrew

Post Number: 257
Posted on Wednesday, March 07, 2007 - 11:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wouldn't have the morals, education and upbringing I had if it weren't for the influence of Dow Chemical and the money they invested back into Midland for years. I'm the first person in 3 generations from my immediate family that did not work for Dow, so it would be safe to say that I have Dow to thank for alot of what I have now. I would never want to live in Midland again, but if you are a conservative Republican, it's a nice place to be, lol.....

Wolverine
Username: Wolverine

Post Number: 287
Posted on Wednesday, March 07, 2007 - 11:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Saginaw likely, but Midland? wow.

Dnvn522
Username: Dnvn522

Post Number: 197
Posted on Thursday, March 08, 2007 - 7:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Maybe all those toxins Dow Chemical pumped into the soil is rubbing off on the children.

But the shooter wasn't from Midland.

Genesyxx
Username: Genesyxx

Post Number: 684
Posted on Thursday, March 08, 2007 - 9:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would think 100 miles away from Detroit should mean Detroit's name shouldn't even be in this article. Eastern Michigan sounds more appropriate. The name of our city gets pulled into enough crap even though half of the stuff doesn't happen inside city limits.

6nois

Post Number: 88
Posted on Thursday, March 08, 2007 - 2:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No the Detroit name is used as a reference to the fact that it was a shooting it is a relative location thing. Being from the Midland-Bay City area, or if you are from anyplace else in the state and you are traveling, you are always asked you location in relation to Detroit, because Detroit is the place that everyone knows. Its landmarking as to find a place, the fact that you think that Detroit's name was pulled in the the article because it was a shooting is crazy.

Missnmich
Username: Missnmich

Post Number: 577
Posted on Thursday, March 08, 2007 - 5:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You are right 6nois. Even the hand trick means nothing to the geographically challenged. I always use Detroit as my reference point.

Craig
Username: Craig

Post Number: 37
Posted on Thursday, March 08, 2007 - 8:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've spent a lot of time in the Flint area and further north. People up that way refer to their area as Mid Michigan, not "Detroit" or "X miles from Detroit." You can bet that the front page in their papers is covering this as a Midland crime, and not something "a hundred miles from Detroit." They have their own trouble spots, and things I've seen in Flint and Saginaw are almost as bad as the rough areas I know on Detroit's west side.

Re: the crack about Republicans in Midland: Midland is a lot more prosperous than "Democrat" Flint & Saginaw - maybe there's something to that party that's worth a look.

Billpdx
Username: Billpdx

Post Number: 29
Posted on Thursday, March 08, 2007 - 9:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Give me a break, Craig.

The reason Midland is more prosperous than Flint or Sag is because most of those Dow employees need to have a college education. Areas with high concentrations of college grads tend to be more prosperous than areas without.

Unfortunately for Midland, isolated company towns don't appeal to wide swaths of the population, leaving it stuck with all of the Republicans.

Anyway, I hope that girl is ok.

Thames
Username: Thames

Post Number: 15
Posted on Thursday, March 08, 2007 - 9:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Craig, of course people up that way call it Mid-Michigan, but it is hard to explain to someone not familiar with Michigan where Midland is.

Genesyxx, If someone said it happened in say Midland, Illinois it would be much easier for us to understand where that was if they said it was 100 miles north of Chicago. That's all.

I hope she is OK too.

Billybbrew

Post Number: 259
Posted on Friday, March 09, 2007 - 1:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Of course it's "Mid Michigan" if you're from there, but if you're from timbucktoo, pickastate and only know a major cities, you're going to use one as a reference point. "Where is that in Georgia?" "Oh it's about 50 miles south of Atlanta" "Oh ok, gotcha" Get the point? and of course they are saying it's a Midland crime, "There's no crime in Midland", or so it's been said for years. They can't help but throw that in their faces.....

Billybbrew

Post Number: 260
Posted on Friday, March 09, 2007 - 1:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

and with the loss of a good portion of the hourly workers, as well as a lot of salary workers at Dow in the last 15 years, I wouldn't say Midland is nearly as prosperous as you think it is. It's suffering alot of the same problems every other city is facing, especially cities with one major employer. The trickle down effect can be mind boggling.

Barnesfoto
Username: Barnesfoto

Post Number: 3149
Posted on Friday, March 09, 2007 - 2:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

maybe Midland is doing better because Dow Chemical is doing better than GM...but then, GM never manufactured Agent Orange.
http://www.lewispublishing.com /orange.htm
I'm going to take a wild guess here: I'd guess that more guys from Saginaw and Bay City have died in the Iraq War Scam, while more of Midland's Republicans cheer the Chickenhawk Chief, without, of course, sending their own young.
Pure speculation on my part.

Billybbrew

Post Number: 261
Posted on Friday, March 09, 2007 - 8:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, unless I missed something, the only people being "sent" to Iraq (a war I incidentally do not agree with) are the people in active duty, the Reserves or the National Guard. People who made that commitment knowing this was a possibility. I would say Midland is more diverse economically than most people realize. It certainly is not "poor" overall, but there is a diverse mix of economy there. I also thing that Barnes stament "without sending their own" is pretty much a moot statemtn anyhow since there isn't a draft and no one is being forced to go that didn't commit to go on their own......

Billpdx
Username: Billpdx

Post Number: 30
Posted on Friday, March 09, 2007 - 9:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jesus, what a simple minded argument...
Bbrew, I was always under the impression that midland high and dow high had roughly equivalent educations, but now I'm starting to have my doubts.

Barnesfoto

Post Number: 3151
Posted on Friday, March 09, 2007 - 11:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, if they manufactured stuff in Saginaw or Flint that killed weeds, as well as made people get cancer and die, and made their children come out funny, perhaps the economies there would be better.
Shucks, too bad the current war is being fought in a place where there's no jungle to defoilate.

Barnesfoto

Post Number: 3152
Posted on Friday, March 09, 2007 - 11:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

p.s...it's easy to explain to someone not from MI where the Tri-Cities are...Just hold up one hand in the shape of a mitten and point to where the cities are on the mitten!

6nois

Post Number: 94
Posted on Friday, March 09, 2007 - 2:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That sometimes works but people are geographically challenged.

Billybbrew

Post Number: 262
Posted on Friday, March 09, 2007 - 2:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Right, the day I see a television newscaster hold up their hand to demonstrate where a location is in Michigan is the day that I'll agree that Detroit being used as a reference point for other places in Michigan is a bad idea. Works in conversation, but not in a newspaper article or news show.

Billybbrew

Post Number: 263
Posted on Friday, March 09, 2007 - 2:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And also, while I agree that Dow DID manufacture Napalm and Agent Orange and I agree that these were things that should not have been used and are obviously lethal and cancer causing, keep in mind OUR (that's yours too) government is the one that bought and used the stuff. I wonder how many people have been killed over the years by cancer from the Grey Iron foundry in Saginaw (A GM facility) and how many people have died as a result of defects in cars made by GM or how many things GM has designed that they knew were flawed and did not fix until the government forced them to by recalls....and for the record, I own GM products and fully support them. I also wonder how many ziploc bags you've used, how much aspirin you've taken, saran wrap, etc. Dow made alot more than just Napalm and Agent Orange and insectisides. I believe they also made fertilizers and other things as well.

Billybbrew

Post Number: 264
Posted on Friday, March 09, 2007 - 2:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

and one last clarification...My point with the Iraq thing is that Barnes implied that Midland Republican's children were not being sent to Iraq while kids from other places were. The point I was making is that there is no draft to dodge or get out of by say, going to college. Midland kids have as much opportunity to join the Armed Services and be sent to Iraq as kids from anywhere else. The choice is up to the kids in the end, not their parents...

(Message edited by BillyBBrew on March 09, 2007)

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.