Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » And you thought Detroit had problems... « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 374
Posted on Tuesday, March 06, 2007 - 6:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WEST BLOOMFIELD
Anti-blight ordinance
would limit firewood
The Township Board is
considering a new anti-blight
ordinance
that would specify
the kinds of which situations that would
prompt a citation, such as too
many old cars or too much
firewood in a yard.
The next
reading of the proposed ordi-
nance is set for the next board
meeting at 7 p.m. March 19, in
the township offices, 4550
Walnut Lake Road.

Hahahahahahahahahahahaha.
Wow. Life sure is rough in the W.B. when your blight is in the form of firewood and you have nothing better to do than legislate how much firewood someone can have in their yard. Gotta keep up the appearance of the neighborhoods, ya know.

Queensfinest
Username: Queensfinest

Post Number: 50
Posted on Tuesday, March 06, 2007 - 6:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When are you going to realize that if things keep going so poorly for the city of Detroit that the Township of West Bloomfield will look very similar to blighted areas of Detroit?

The ignorant and inflammatory city vs suburb rhetoric that is so common on this site is a big part of the reason that the entire state of Michigan is in such horrible shape while the rest of the country, with one or two exceptions, prospers.

Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 375
Posted on Tuesday, March 06, 2007 - 7:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh, c'mon, Queenie. You have to admit it's funny. This post wasn't so much meant as an "us vs. them" issue. Regulating the amount of firewood a person can have in their yard IS a tad ridiculous, isn't it?

Ericdetfan
Username: Ericdetfan

Post Number: 14
Posted on Tuesday, March 06, 2007 - 8:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

it is somewhat ridiculous, but I can understand why they would do that...A large pile could cause any number of rodentia to build a nest in there if it was sitting there long enuf. Its not like WB has a huge rodent problem though.

You know, Grosse Ile is one of the wealthiest communities in Wayne County and yet they let my Grandpa have his driveway filled with cars that didn't run for 20+ years...

Scs100
Username: Scs100

Post Number: 545
Posted on Tuesday, March 06, 2007 - 8:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sooner or later I am going to go inside one of my neighbors houses and take some pics. The house was just bought and is in the process of being renovated. Now here's the kicker. It was bought about 30 years ago(?), I think, and has only been used for storage. The front yard is completely ivy. The house is falling apart. There was an AIRPLANE in one of the bedrooms upstairs from WW2. The house has never been used for living quarters.

Oh, I forgot to mention. The house is right in the middle of Grosse Pointe! Talk about really bad placement.

Tarkus
Username: Tarkus

Post Number: 281
Posted on Tuesday, March 06, 2007 - 8:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe if Detroit had dealt with the little blight problems like WB is they wouldn't have 1/2 the problems they do. Does Detroit even have a blight program for residents?

Angry_dad
Username: Angry_dad

Post Number: 145
Posted on Tuesday, March 06, 2007 - 8:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Of course the question is, how did the airplane get there?

Remnants from Pro Air?

Scs100

Post Number: 546
Posted on Tuesday, March 06, 2007 - 8:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Guy who used to own the house was a pilot for the military. And my bad, it wasn't WW2, can't remember which war it was. Anyways, he disassembled the plane and stuck it in a bedroom.

Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 377
Posted on Tuesday, March 06, 2007 - 9:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A large pile could cause any number of rodentia to build a nest in there if it was sitting there long enuf. Its not like WB has a huge rodent problem though.

Even so, let's look at the definition of the word "blight:"
2 : something that frustrates plans or hopes
3 : something that impairs or destroys
4 : a deteriorated condition <urban>

Firewood does not do any of those things. Not like all of our abandoned buildings here in Detroit. Like I said, I only WISH this was the kind of blight problem Detroit has. Just jealous, that's all.

Oh, I forgot to mention. The house is right in the middle of Grosse Pointe! Talk about really bad placement.

That's a mighty pricey storage facility.

Scs100

Post Number: 551
Posted on Tuesday, March 06, 2007 - 9:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The guy owns about 5 houses in the Pointes, at least 2 of them are storage. That would be very pricey.

Thames
Username: Thames

Post Number: 14
Posted on Tuesday, March 06, 2007 - 10:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rhymeswithrawk Posted on Tuesday, March 06, 2007 - 9:42 pm:
"A large pile could cause any number of rodentia to build a nest in there if it was sitting there long enuf. Its not like WB has a huge rodent problem though.

Even so, let's look at the definition of the word "blight:"
2 : something that frustrates plans or hopes
3 : something that impairs or destroys
4 : a deteriorated condition <urban>

Firewood does not do any of those things."

Yes it does. Someone who takes pride in their property ie. spend time and money to make the landscaping nice doesn't want to see a big pile of shit next door, hence frustrates plans or hopes.

If rodents take up residence in that pile of shit your neighbors are harboring, they can absolutely impair the use of your yard and destroy by gnawing.

Lastly, if this filthy condition is left unchecked, it will certainly lead to deteriorating conditions.

Professorscott
Username: Professorscott

Post Number: 247
Posted on Tuesday, March 06, 2007 - 11:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I like "too many old cars" being a condition for blight. If you were a classic car collector, which I think there are a few of in the WB, would that make you a source of blight?

I'm amazed by how much, these days, people want to control their neighbor's property. Buy it if you want to control it.

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 1416
Posted on Wednesday, March 07, 2007 - 7:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Obviously West Bloomfield doesn't want their residents to have old-car "projects" sitting outside and looking like a junkyard.

I don't think they'd have a problem with a garage full of expensive, nicely restored vehicles, though.

In other words, it would be difficult to be an old-car enthusiast on a budget in West Bloomfield, but not difficult if you're a wealthy old-car enthusiast.

Themax
Username: Themax

Post Number: 585
Posted on Wednesday, March 07, 2007 - 7:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One man's blight is another man's firewood.

As the little girl said in "Clueless", this isn't Kentucky!

Karl
Username: Karl

Post Number: 6441
Posted on Wednesday, March 07, 2007 - 7:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There are far too many collectors of everything in this country who believe it is their right to display it for all to see. Most of it will be hauled to landfills immediately upon their deaths by the executors of their estates.

When one moves into a neighborhood one has reason to expect that each house is maintained in the same manner. Often there are CC&R's that back up these expectations, lately right down to the house color. Sheds (even nice ones) piles of firewood, cars overnight in the drive or street and other "oddities" to residents of cities like Detroit are prohibited. Yes, it is what protects them from the inevitable "maverick" or "individualist" there now or arriving in the future.

I say good for WB, kick butt now as things will naturally spiral downward if you don't. If the perps don't like it, let them move to Kentucky, or for a nearby version it seems I recall an area near Detroit fondly referred to as "Taylortucky" but I could be mistaken.

Karl
Username: Karl

Post Number: 6442
Posted on Wednesday, March 07, 2007 - 7:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh, one more thing: You can generally recognize aspiring firewood/junk collectors when they are on the road - they often have sound systems in their car that require everyone within 1/2 mile to nod along with their music. They also believe that cigarette butts aren't litter, and as they drop them from their car windows to the ground, they believe that they "evolve" into compost before hitting the pavement. I enjoy honking the horn to get their attention, then innocently asking them if they expect the taxpayers to pick "that" up.

Oh, the glares..........

Dnvn522
Username: Dnvn522

Post Number: 196
Posted on Wednesday, March 07, 2007 - 8:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Since when is firewood, "shit"?

Is it against W.B. ordinances to have a fireplace or wood stove in your home?

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.