Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Macy Will Be The Name of Department Stores « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Urbanize
Username: Urbanize

Post Number: 98
Posted on Tuesday, March 06, 2007 - 5:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I saw on PBS a weeek ago on the Business news when they were interviewing the CEO of Macy's/Bloomingdales. Thing about it is, He plans to completely phase out the Bloomingdales name. I know it's off-topic, but I just wanted to et people know of this news. Not important to us directly, but just thinking that Macy's is the only High-End Department Store around now.

Scottr
Username: Scottr

Post Number: 360
Posted on Tuesday, March 06, 2007 - 5:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think you heard that wrong. The company name, currently Federated Department Stores, is going to become Macy's Group pending a shareholder vote. Bloomingdales will remain a brand within the company.

http://www.usatoday.com/money/ industries/retail/2007-02-27-m acys-usat_x.htm

Spacemonkey
Username: Spacemonkey

Post Number: 164
Posted on Tuesday, March 06, 2007 - 5:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember shopping at Federals with my mom when I was a kid. Great Scott, Corvette's and Kresege's too.

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 4674
Posted on Tuesday, March 06, 2007 - 6:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Toss Arlan's and Shopper's Fair into that mix as well.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 3770
Posted on Tuesday, March 06, 2007 - 6:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Umm Spacemonkey... Federals is not the same thing as Federated Department Stores. One went out of existence long ago, the other is the nations largest department store chain.

Queensfinest
Username: Queensfinest

Post Number: 51
Posted on Tuesday, March 06, 2007 - 6:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, something is inaccurate there. I don't think you have any Bloomingdale's in Michigan do you?

In NY and everywhere else I've been, Bloomingdale's sells much higher end and more expensive merchandise than Macy's.

To make a Detroit analogy, Bloomingdale's taking on the Macy's logo and name would be like Cadillac taking the Pontiac name.

Macy's has really gone downhill the last decade or so and isn't usually compared to Bloomingdale's.

I can't imagine Bloomingdale's being converted to Macy's. The link won't work for me but, I think it's safe to say.

Nyburgher
Username: Nyburgher

Post Number: 79
Posted on Tuesday, March 06, 2007 - 8:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No way are they going to get rid of the Bloomingdales brand. It's slipped a bit as a force but its still a dominant NY Brand.

Nyburgher
Username: Nyburgher

Post Number: 80
Posted on Tuesday, March 06, 2007 - 8:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If he is thinking about it he's got to be fired.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.