Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Mark England De Mode Closed « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 5597
Posted on Tuesday, March 06, 2007 - 9:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mark England De Mode closed its Downtown Detroit location due to low sales. Looks like folks around there aren't interested in New York esque style fashion.

Development in Downtown Detroit needs some simple stores to attract the less spending crowd Like dollar stores, fast food restaurants, cellular phone shops, cleaners etc... Than bring the long spending retail.

Urbanize
Username: Urbanize

Post Number: 66
Posted on Tuesday, March 06, 2007 - 9:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This forum is not helping when we have the comerica one around also. I'll repeat yself (businesses shoving us down to the ground, while we continually try to get up).

Danny

Post Number: 5600
Posted on Tuesday, March 06, 2007 - 9:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just about when Detroit is in the development growth. People are losing jobs left and right. The Great Depression is back. It arrived in Michigan in the early 21st Century. Detroit and rest of Michigan are now in the Dark Ages. Where there is killing of BROTHERS AND SISTERS even BROTHERS KILLING BROTHERS FOR LOVE OF MONEY. Detroit, Great Rome has fallen and the barbarians are looting, squatting and plundering all over the place. Is our leaders moving their bodies to bring jobs back? or Are they just talk and go on doing paperwork? That's why we the People of Michigan and Detroit. Must do something to bring back economic growth or perish beneath the ashes.

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1528
Posted on Tuesday, March 06, 2007 - 9:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yes danny, we don't have nearly enough dollar stores

Tkelly1986
Username: Tkelly1986

Post Number: 246
Posted on Tuesday, March 06, 2007 - 9:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Please NO dollar stores; those are incredibly tacky and would further undermine Detroit’s image to visitors. Keep those in the neighborhoods, they have no place in a “respectable” shopping district.

(Message edited by tkelly1986 on March 06, 2007)

Sharmaal
Username: Sharmaal

Post Number: 1017
Posted on Tuesday, March 06, 2007 - 9:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Has anyone verified that it closed? On Friday, someone in my building said that they were moving down woodward.

It wouldn't surprise me if they closed, but let's just hang on a second. If this thread is false, I'm sure it has just cost them some potential business.

Pffft
Username: Pffft

Post Number: 1216
Posted on Tuesday, March 06, 2007 - 9:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The majority of us shop somewhere in between dollar stores and Mark England style "couture" ...they need at least a small, urban Target there ...

Urbanize

Post Number: 83
Posted on Tuesday, March 06, 2007 - 9:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Those are the scaredy cat businesses sadly.

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 11384
Posted on Tuesday, March 06, 2007 - 10:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I too heard it closed up, and they closed more than a week ago.

Detroit_stylin
Username: Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 3893
Posted on Tuesday, March 06, 2007 - 10:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nope that is not so. I was just in there relatively recently to pick up an item from there just under a week ago, and it didn't seem as if they were going out of business. There were none of the typical signs such as serious markdowns nor notices that closure was imminent.

Supersport

Post Number: 11385
Posted on Tuesday, March 06, 2007 - 10:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just emailed the owner, as his voicemail lists both an email address and myspace account as places to inquire about the new and exciting changes for this upcoming year. Yet I'm sorry, people don't simply close up their doors unannounced to their customers when they are about to relocate. I believe there is more to this story, and that Detroit lost yet another business.

Phone 313-961-3991
Email: markenglanddemode@peoplepc.com
Myspace: http://www.myspace.com/markeng landdemode

Cjdb16
Username: Cjdb16

Post Number: 161
Posted on Tuesday, March 06, 2007 - 10:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I tried to go there Sunday after breakfast at the Breakfast House and Grill and there were two guys inside finishing the move out, one man came out and told us they were moving down the street next to the sporting goods store to a bigger location and opening another location in the Ren Cen... we will see when/if that happens. I hope it does.

Apbest
Username: Apbest

Post Number: 450
Posted on Tuesday, March 06, 2007 - 10:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

so they are not closing but rather expanding and opening a rencen location? that is refreshing especially considering the Comerica news

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 1296
Posted on Tuesday, March 06, 2007 - 10:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I loved that store and bought clothes there a couple of times. It's so frustrating. I hope they are moving and not closing.

Superduperman
Username: Superduperman

Post Number: 227
Posted on Tuesday, March 06, 2007 - 11:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow.....I wonder how they got out of their lease at Merchants Row,I remember they made you jump through a few hoops before you could lease their commercial space.

Supersport

Post Number: 11388
Posted on Tuesday, March 06, 2007 - 4:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ok, I just got a response back from the owner. They are in fact relocating, though he didn't say where. He said they will issue a press release sometime over the next 20 days and that they will be bigger and better than ever.

Here was the exact email, cut and paste:

quote:

were relocating

we do a press release in the next 20 days so stay tune

bigger better then ever .

I don't know about you, but this all seems VERY unprofessional. Close up shop with zero notice? No announcement to your shoppers? An email address and Myspace account on your voicemail informing callers to stay tuned? A broken email notifying people inquiring of what's going on?

Personally, I wouldn't hold my breath on this place reopening. The whole thing makes very little sense and I have a feeling there is A LOT more to this story that will come out prior to this press release.

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 370
Posted on Tuesday, March 06, 2007 - 4:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Development in Downtown Detroit needs some simple stores to attract the less spending crowd Like dollar stores, fast food restaurants, cellular phone shops, cleaners etc... Than bring the long spending retail.

Did you ever shop there, Danny?

Tetsua
Username: Tetsua

Post Number: 1132
Posted on Tuesday, March 06, 2007 - 4:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Personally, I wouldn't hold my breath on this place reopening. The whole thing makes very little sense and I have a feeling there is A LOT more to this story that will come out prior to this press release.

I agree whole heartedly Sport, this complete lack of information seems a little shady. I did like the store though, and hope they re-open.

Peter
Username: Peter

Post Number: 7
Posted on Tuesday, March 06, 2007 - 4:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I'll repeat yself (businesses shoving us down to the ground, while we continually try to get up)." -- Urbanize, owners of small businesses have to watch their backs first, and as for Comerica leaving it will be rough on the region but the board members are responsible to do what is best for the shareholders. It sucks that they are leaving Detroit but Dallas obviously offered them something we don't have...

Danny

Post Number: 5602
Posted on Tuesday, March 06, 2007 - 5:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rhymeswithrawk,

Yes I do, in a matter of fact there are two dollar stores on the corner of Griswald and State and its getting good customer attention. Now we need is more cheap restaurants, cellular phone shops and cleaners. and then comes the chothiers. That's how you bring businesses back to Downtown Detroit.

Matt
Username: Matt

Post Number: 1168
Posted on Tuesday, March 06, 2007 - 5:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I heard that the Schostak Co. let them out of their lease early. This was so Schostak could sign The Cheesecake Factory to a lease that will encompass the former Mark England De Mode space and the retail space directly to the North.

Foodandwine
Username: Foodandwine

Post Number: 10
Posted on Tuesday, March 06, 2007 - 5:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Funny, I heard it was OutBack?

Matt
Username: Matt

Post Number: 1169
Posted on Tuesday, March 06, 2007 - 5:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You're mistaken, F&W. Got this on direct authority from an individual at Schostak.

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 1244
Posted on Tuesday, March 06, 2007 - 5:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

f&w?

Beatsworking
Username: Beatsworking

Post Number: 57
Posted on Tuesday, March 06, 2007 - 6:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

perhaps these folks muscled 'em off the block

http://modeldmedia.com/develop mentnews/exclusive84.aspx

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 8479
Posted on Tuesday, March 06, 2007 - 6:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How about a store with mid-price everyday clothes. A store where you can get a decent pair of jeans ro a sweater for the $15-$20 range. Seems the choices are expensive or cheap as shit. There is a nice middle ground.

Mrjoshua
Username: Mrjoshua

Post Number: 1236
Posted on Tuesday, March 06, 2007 - 6:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't think you can even pick up a pair of Toughskins for that price Jt1. Old Navy's jeans are the best value for the money but they're also $35 a pair.

I'm all for businesses opening up downtown, but trying to make it as an independent clothier in a city like Detroit is just stupid. It's the same story with people who open up independent coffee houses and frequently complain that they can't compete against Starbucks. Most Americans want what they are familiar with (not saying I'm one of them, but I'm also a realist).

Bring on the chains.

Jt1

Post Number: 8480
Posted on Tuesday, March 06, 2007 - 6:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Price may have been off but I think you get my point.

Mike
Username: Mike

Post Number: 868
Posted on Tuesday, March 06, 2007 - 7:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the store looked great, but, i just did not dig the clothing too much.

they just really did not have much... not that i am metrosexual or anything (nor is there anything wrong with being one), but i even noticed that the clothing did not fit well, pleats everwhere, nothing different or cool.

studio couture on the other hand is by far the best place to shop in michigan. i would have loved for the mark england store to carry the type of suits, pants, blazers, and shirts that i like, but they dont and they are expensive. i tried supporting them, but they had nothing that i liked.

if they stay, i will still continue to stop in and see what they got.

Citylover
Username: Citylover

Post Number: 2189
Posted on Tuesday, March 06, 2007 - 8:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A tj maxx downtown or a marshalls hey jt1? That would be good with lots of variety.Hell if you go enough to those places (maxx, etc) very good deals are to be found.

Apbest

Post Number: 452
Posted on Tuesday, March 06, 2007 - 9:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

15 dollars for jeans is dirt cheap..."bigger and better" hopefully that doesnt mean the ren cen and still on merchants row...merchants row's success is so important

(Message edited by apbest on March 06, 2007)

Royce
Username: Royce

Post Number: 2103
Posted on Thursday, March 08, 2007 - 1:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Damn, I am so tired of hearing about a store selling "high-end" items. This kind of store is for someone who can justify spending $150 for a pair of jeans just because some designer has his name on them, yet they can't pay their cell phone bill.

The demographics aren't there yet for these stores to keep selling this "high-end" stuff. Remember "Julian Scott?"

(Message edited by royce on March 08, 2007)

Detroitduo
Username: Detroitduo

Post Number: 808
Posted on Thursday, March 08, 2007 - 1:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

wow, step off, Royce. Let the market decide. If noone likes the expensive stuff, then the place will go out of businesss, but who the hell are you to bitch if someone wants to spend $150.00 on jeans or whatever? Did you ever think people might bitch about you buying $35.00 jeans just because they are CHEAP?

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 634
Posted on Thursday, March 08, 2007 - 8:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If someone is leasing space in one of the most expensive places for retail in the City of Detroit, then their products are more likely than not going to be some of the most expensive in Detroit. One can't have 'dirt cheap' or probably even moderately priced items for sale on Woodward at the Merchants Row Block downtown.

Bagman
Username: Bagman

Post Number: 80
Posted on Thursday, March 08, 2007 - 9:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

there just are not enough people downtown to justify the rents that are being charged. Even $5 a sq ft is way out of line with the foot traffic that is downtown Detroit.

My family was there for 60 years and can't wait to return, but it will take more people working, living and doing business downtown for locals to invest.

The BIG box from out of town can float an underperforming store.

Also expectations are lowered so places like HRC do well. 355 days a year there is no wait to be seated for dinner. It's one of the few in the world where people aren't lined up out front getting their pictures taken at the HRC tourist attraction.

Citylover

Post Number: 2191
Posted on Thursday, March 08, 2007 - 10:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good to see you here again bagman.That is the crux of it really as you say;rents not at all in proportion to the number of people downtown.

It is part of the whole Detroit is coming back thing we hear and then when one looks it has not come back as much as we are led to believe.

Lets face it there are no "high end" retail locations in Detroit anymore. Detroit is not new york pr chicago, or even philadelphia. There is no justifying charging high rents to businesses_ nothing justifies it.

Jt1

Post Number: 8495
Posted on Thursday, March 08, 2007 - 11:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't think anyone but the landlords will argue that point.

Citylover

Post Number: 2192
Posted on Thursday, March 08, 2007 - 11:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It is not a detroit thing only btw. Here in A2 there are several condo projects proposed and in process that completely baffle me in what they think people will pay.They want literally millions for these places.We are talking about A2 a midsized college town.There is no justification for these asking prices_ many of these projects are rejected by planning commissions or quietly go away for lack of $$.

Royce

Post Number: 2104
Posted on Thursday, March 08, 2007 - 9:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroitduo, the market has decided and Mark England de mode and Julian Scott are gone. Tell me how does a store like Serman's, which I buy dress pants and suits from, stay in business in Downtown Detroit for decades and a Mark England is gone in three years, if that? That's because the owners of Serman's know you can't just sell $150 pair of jeans and nothing else.

And your right, Detroitduo, to each his own. However, unless a pair jeans will massage my butt while I am wearing them, I will never ever buy a f'ing pair of $150 jeans when I can buy a $35 pair of good quality Levi's and use the remaining $115 dollars to buy groceries or two to three dinners with my wife.

Apbest

Post Number: 456
Posted on Thursday, March 08, 2007 - 10:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

well that's your perspective, but as someone who is young in college, I like spending money on clothes and styling, etc...I buy 100 dollar jeans and have shopped at Mark England (though my primary base in birmingham and somerset), and I hope to god that the store is in fact not gone for good but is indeed expanding or moving even if it is to the (sigh) Ren Cen (cringe)....but you are probably right about not only being able to sell high end stuff. Spectacles in Harmonie Park has a good diversity of products and they seem to be doing okay...

Supersport

Post Number: 11396
Posted on Friday, March 09, 2007 - 12:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Also expectations are lowered so places like HRC do well. 355 days a year there is no wait to be seated for dinner. It's one of the few in the world where people aren't lined up out front getting their pictures taken at the HRC tourist attraction.

HRC has been doing a great business. Every weekend the place has a strong crowd. Any night there is a concert, Wings game, Tigers game, or Lions game, people are in fact lined up and having to wait to be seated. That surely entails more than 10 days a year. Just as I have seen people getting their pictures taken there. As for other HRC's around the world, you obviously haven't been to many, as I've been to several others were crowds aren't exactly storming the doors to get in. That includes Cancun, Orlando, Indy, and a few others.

If you want to see what they typical crowd during an event is like, I suggest you hang out there prior to one of the upcoming Bob Seger concerts. The place will be packed for each of the three concerts I am sure.

Dbc
Username: Dbc

Post Number: 32
Posted on Friday, March 09, 2007 - 8:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry Bagman, but you can add the one here in DC to Supersport's list disproving your theory that every other HRC just has throngs of people lining up to get in.

Oh, and the Planet Hollywood didn't do so well around here either.

Urbanize

Post Number: 111
Posted on Saturday, March 10, 2007 - 10:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Detroitduo, the market has decided and Mark England de mode and Julian Scott are gone. Tell me how does a store like Serman's, which I buy dress pants and suits from, stay in business in Downtown Detroit for decades and a Mark England is gone in three years, if that? That's because the owners of Serman's know you can't just sell $150 pair of jeans and nothing else.

And your right, Detroitduo, to each his own. However, unless a pair jeans will massage my butt while I am wearing them, I will never ever buy a f'ing pair of $150 jeans when I can buy a $35 pair of good quality Levi's and use the remaining $115 dollars to buy groceries or two to three dinners with my wife."

Another thing about Sermans, they sell Pimped out Urban Wear unlike the classy high-end stuff at Mar England's. Notice any clothing store that sells pimped out clothing or Urban Wear for a moderate price NEVER goes out of business (Joe Porters, City warehouse, City Slickers, Broadway, J-Bees, Athletes Foot) may I go on?

Eric_c
Username: Eric_c

Post Number: 921
Posted on Saturday, March 10, 2007 - 10:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If J.L. Hudson's had evolved to sell "pimped out urban wear for a moderate price", it too, would still be Downtown.

Royce

Post Number: 2106
Posted on Saturday, March 10, 2007 - 11:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Urbanize, that "classy high-end" stuff is for bourgeois blacks who don't want the be associated with the "pimped out" stores. Yet, not everything at those stores are "pimped out" and that's my point. They have enough selection for most men, and some women's items too. The Mark England's try to sell the same expensive stuff to the bourgeois crowd, but they don't have the pimped-out crowd to fall back on because they are trying to be snooty. Snooty doesn't work in this city, only in Birmingham.

Those stores you mentioned survive because they are selling to the mainstay residents of this city. They are catering to the average African American joe who likes a little style. These places usually won't appeal to your average white joe. Theses places will sell your Coogi sweater and alligator shoes, and that's what the average black joe likes. I haven't seen to many average white joes sporting those items, but I'm sure there are a few.

You won't see me buying any alligator shoes because $900 for a pair of shoes is out of my league. I usually only go to Serman's when they have their half off says. A $600 suit for $300 is a good deal. I bet Mark England never offered that kind of deal.

So, the bottom line is if you want to have a successful retail clothing store in Detroit you gotta offer more than that classy high-end stuff or just the pimped out stuff. Then you've gotta figure out how to cater to whites and then you've got it made.

(Message edited by royce on March 10, 2007)

Urbanize

Post Number: 126
Posted on Saturday, March 10, 2007 - 11:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Royce, the point you just made was my general point. However, my past points was that, the stores that can cater to everyone's taste (chain stores) won't be running in none too soon. There always the last ones to come. Trust me, if they won;t move into the Mall we have (Bel-Air) they won't be in a hurry to downtown. So we just need to be grateful with whatever retail we do have, which still is hopefully the Mark England type of retail. Besides, imagine if these types of shops were around when retail did start booming in downtown? This would create a vibrant Merchants Row or wherever with the mixture of Classy stores. Serman's and all those other stores like you guys said are catering to the group that like Pimped out clothing. That's still retail, none the less, and let's be happy they stuck with downtown through it's tough times. It'd not about what you're offering necessarily either, it's all about price and convienence. Folks wouldn't want to make a 30 Minute drive for something at a higher price in downtown detroit that they can get at the local mall or neighborhood retail shop for cheaper. Also, location is a big factor also. They're must be a high demand for that store and limited locations for someone to make a special trip to it. those are other things key for retail in detroit, particularly downtown I'm speaking of.

Urbanize

Post Number: 127
Posted on Saturday, March 10, 2007 - 11:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Also, residental bases is important too. If we have a decent population near/in the city center WITH modest incomes, THEN we can discuss more retail in Downtown. I don;t think it;s the residential bases were missing, but it also the income rates for the folks in/near the CBD. That's not going to get the type of high demand (all around) retail development nowhere.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 662
Posted on Sunday, March 11, 2007 - 1:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Urbanize, don't you think that there is more residential in/around the CBD then there has been in the last one hundred plus years? I would also venture a guess that those living in/around the CBD have an average income that is higher than most other neighborhoods of Detroit and even some inner-ring suburbs. So what isn't working? Is there a missing link? Maybe things are working. There definitely seems to be more businesses in the CBD then there was during the economic boom of the 90s...

Burnsie
Username: Burnsie

Post Number: 894
Posted on Sunday, March 11, 2007 - 1:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eric_C said, "If J.L. Hudson's had evolved to sell "pimped out urban wear for a moderate price", it too, would still be Downtown."

Only if it could have managed to lease 90% (at least) of the building that would have ultimately been in excess of any kind of retail space requirements.

Tkelly1986 wrote, "Please NO dollar stores; those are incredibly tacky and would further undermine Detroit’s image to visitors. Keep those in the neighborhoods, they have no place in a “respectable” shopping district."

Woolworth's and Kresge's had dollar or thereabouts operations for many years on Woodward downtown. And I don't think they were undermining Detroit's image or detracting from the "respectable" shopping district. Granted, modern dollar stores have a certain crude look to them that Woolworth's and Kresge's didn't.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.