Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Elks Temple? E. Jefferson « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Billybbrew
Username: Billybbrew

Post Number: 252
Posted on Tuesday, March 06, 2007 - 2:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am trying to find out any information about the Elks? Temple on E. Jefferson near the Whittier. Building was started just before the Depression and never finished and stood for years, at least into the late 1950's. The structure was 5 of 6 stories tall and the walls were never completed, just the supporting structure. Any help, and especially pics, would be appreciated.

Thanks

Bob_cosgrove
Username: Bob_cosgrove

Post Number: 470
Posted on Tuesday, March 06, 2007 - 6:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You might contact Elk's Lodge 34 in St. Clair Shores, which is the Lodge that built that building. Due to the Great Depression they ran out of funds and it stood as a concrete frame, perhaps as much as 10 stories high, until the 1960's when it was removed and replaced by the Shoreline apartments.

Bob Cosgrove

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 4860
Posted on Tuesday, March 06, 2007 - 7:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not sure which building you're describing but the Elk's Club was in the Tudor structure on the corner of Jefferson and Parker, now a variety of offices next to the Parker home, now Lutheran Social Services,

Bob_cosgrove
Username: Bob_cosgrove

Post Number: 471
Posted on Tuesday, March 06, 2007 - 7:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jams, those are the Arthur Parker family homes on the northeast side of Parker and East Jefferson. They were Elks Lodge 34's quarters after moving from downtown.

Their uncompleted structure on the river's edge was next to Detroit Towers on what had been the J. B. Ford estate. That home was removed c.1928 and re-assembled at 10525 Windmill Pointe Drive in Grosse Pointe Park. It was the Junior League Show House about five or six years ago.

Bob Cosgrove

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 4861
Posted on Tuesday, March 06, 2007 - 7:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks

Mikem
Username: Mikem

Post Number: 3161
Posted on Tuesday, March 06, 2007 - 12:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Interesting. Look like it was right on the waterfront:

Gone by 1967:

Billybbrew

Post Number: 253
Posted on Tuesday, March 06, 2007 - 1:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the help. I was talking to Bill Moss last night and he was telling me that he and his friends used to play in it when they were kids in the 1950's. He was asking for any info about it. I'll be sure to pass this and anything else that comes up along to him.

Ookpik
Username: Ookpik

Post Number: 109
Posted on Tuesday, March 06, 2007 - 2:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That structure was/is known as "The Skeleton" to local hydroplane fans. I'll try to find a photo of the hydros going past it.

Psip
Username: Psip

Post Number: 1533
Posted on Saturday, March 10, 2007 - 12:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here are some pix from 1964

Wide

D1

D2

D4

D3

Billybbrew

Post Number: 265
Posted on Saturday, March 10, 2007 - 8:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks PSIP. That's the building I was looking for.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 665
Posted on Sunday, March 11, 2007 - 1:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know that there were several planned buildings in Detroit that cut short expansions or stopped their additions because of the affects of the Depression. The University of Detroit never built its cathedral for the corner of McNichols and Livernois for example. But what an oddity this Elks Temple is. Is this the only (or maybe the largest) building in Detroit that was under construction that was actually not finished as a result of the Depression?

Mikem

Post Number: 3178
Posted on Sunday, March 11, 2007 - 1:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This one looks a bit larger:

https://www.atdetroit.net/forum/mes sages/6790/44026.html

And I can't remember if we ever figured out where or when the Pontchartrain Club was built.

Detroitphotographer
Username: Detroitphotographer

Post Number: 6
Posted on Sunday, March 11, 2007 - 2:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Pontchartrain Club was designed by Wirt Rowland. It was partially constructed, but then stopped during the Depression. During the 1960s it was finally completed, as it was converted into the Town Apartments. Unfortunately, many of the architectural details did not survive the conversion.

Psip
Username: Psip

Post Number: 1538
Posted on Sunday, March 11, 2007 - 2:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

2 that come to mind are the 2nd Fisher tower and the 2nd Book Building tower.

Mikem

Post Number: 3179
Posted on Sunday, March 11, 2007 - 2:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks - I thought it looked familiar.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 669
Posted on Sunday, March 11, 2007 - 3:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I didn't think that the 2nd Fisher tower's and the 2nd Book Building tower's construction was ever underway. These other structures are very interesting though.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.