Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Petosky "just outside Detroit"? That's Sprawl! « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Ventura67
Username: Ventura67

Post Number: 112
Posted on Monday, March 05, 2007 - 9:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I heard a radio news man today describing the arrest of that guy that killed his wife. He said he was arrested in Petosky which "is just outside Detroit". Damn, I knew we had sprawl but Petoskey as a detroit suburb?

I don't doubt for a second that Detroit was only mentioned because the story involved a gruesome murder. It was either 1310 or 1290 AM, the "progressive" channels with the same news headlines at the top of the hour. What do you think?

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 358
Posted on Monday, March 05, 2007 - 9:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Um, is that a metro Detroit radio station?

Fareastsider
Username: Fareastsider

Post Number: 200
Posted on Monday, March 05, 2007 - 9:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Obviously the radio host didnt know what he was talking about. They probably are not from Michigan

Ventura67
Username: Ventura67

Post Number: 113
Posted on Monday, March 05, 2007 - 10:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

1310-Detroit

1290-Ann Arbor

The news programming is certainly national- but shouldn't journalists have a least minimal understanding of the geography of their news stories?

(Message edited by ventura67 on March 05, 2007)

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 5184
Posted on Monday, March 05, 2007 - 10:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This doesn't surprise me, at all. I've heard plenty of Michiganians in all parts of the lower peninsula refer to their homestowns as "not-too-far" from Detroit, and I'm talking about a spread of cities that aren't even in the proximity of Southeast Michigan, when describing their area to those outside the state.

I've also heard a lot of out-of-staters ask "is that near Detroit?" no matter what city a Michigander tells them. It's to be expected in states with big cities, though.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 2525
Posted on Monday, March 05, 2007 - 10:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

a suburb cannot be 280 miles away. By the way, he was found at the tip of the mitt just west of Mackinaw City (40 miles from Petoskey). He was probably booked at Petoskey so that's why it got mentioned.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 8466
Posted on Monday, March 05, 2007 - 10:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Who cares?

Knocturnal
Username: Knocturnal

Post Number: 196
Posted on Monday, March 05, 2007 - 10:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ventura - Are you sure that you are from Michigan? You can't even spell Petoskey correctly?

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 363
Posted on Monday, March 05, 2007 - 10:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ventura - Are you sure that you are from Michigan? You can't even spell Petoskey correctly?

He spelled it correctly in that post, just not the first time. And it's not like this board is a haven for grammar aficionados.

Eric_w
Username: Eric_w

Post Number: 35
Posted on Monday, March 05, 2007 - 10:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

On CNN an anchor pronounced Macomb County
"May-com ".

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 3758
Posted on Monday, March 05, 2007 - 11:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LOL... does that mean that Miss Cleo is back in Metro-Detroit!

As Danny would say... YAY!!

Urbanize
Username: Urbanize

Post Number: 81
Posted on Tuesday, March 06, 2007 - 9:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One odd thing is (off topic), The stuck-up daity folks at the weather Channel discuss some type of weather that happens here (with video). Now, there's was a video out of Southfield about teh same weather Downtown Detroit saw. Not once did they say "just outside detroit". Where as, if it was Chicago and a suburb, they would say in a second "Just outside Chicago". Apparrently, the geographical features of SE, Michigan at that isn't important to people.

Fnemecek
Username: Fnemecek

Post Number: 2395
Posted on Tuesday, March 06, 2007 - 9:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

The news programming is certainly national- but shouldn't journalists have a least minimal understanding of the geography of their news stories?

In theory, yes.

The problem, however, is that most national journalists view everything in "fly-over country" as being one big neighborhood. I've actually talked to journalists in NY who think that Detroit, Michigan and Des Moines, Iowa are practically next door to one another.

Quite frankly, I'm just happy that this reporter at least realized that Petosky wasn't in Detroit.

Ericdetfan
Username: Ericdetfan

Post Number: 20
Posted on Tuesday, March 06, 2007 - 10:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Petosky St. lol

Cartoonguy
Username: Cartoonguy

Post Number: 94
Posted on Wednesday, March 07, 2007 - 12:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For the record, here in Madison Wisconsin the news covered the story. The anchors made a point of saying the man was captured in the woods of northern Michigan, several hours from his home in Suburban Detroit.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.