Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Macomb County Sheriff Mark Hackel « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 3744
Posted on Monday, March 05, 2007 - 12:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well we've all seen him on TV a lot lately (on the Tara Lynn Grant grisly murder). At first I thought he was just a publicity hound, but the more I saw of him, the more likeable he became.

My nephew is currently taking a class at Macomb College that is being taught by Mark Hackel, and he said that he is truly a great guy!

Now in his mid 40's, he appears to be a rising star in figure-headless Macomb County.

Anyone else have any anectdotal info on him?

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 461
Posted on Monday, March 05, 2007 - 12:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Who could forget his father and that whole debacle?

Superduperman
Username: Superduperman

Post Number: 226
Posted on Monday, March 05, 2007 - 12:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is he a robot?

Kenp
Username: Kenp

Post Number: 243
Posted on Monday, March 05, 2007 - 12:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Griem was involved in Hackells fathers case as well, seems ironic.

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 1230
Posted on Monday, March 05, 2007 - 12:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hackel the Hack. He is a freak with those eyes. Momma Chitaku knows the Hackels and told me they are wack jobs. His X even has the same eyes.

Chitaku

Post Number: 1231
Posted on Monday, March 05, 2007 - 12:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What happened with his dad?

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 462
Posted on Monday, March 05, 2007 - 12:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"What happened with his dad?"

His father was the former Macomb County Sheriff who was convicted of raping a coworker and sent to prison.

Beavis1981
Username: Beavis1981

Post Number: 315
Posted on Monday, March 05, 2007 - 12:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I second that chi- That guy looks creepy as hell to me! GO EASTSIDE!

Kenp

Post Number: 244
Posted on Monday, March 05, 2007 - 12:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Raping her at a sheriffs' conference of all places.
Griem was the attorney against Hackell in an appeal of the conviction. Griem won, and Hackel is in a federal pen, or at least the last I knew.

Gistok

Post Number: 3746
Posted on Monday, March 05, 2007 - 12:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chitaku, if your family knows the Hackels, how is it that you did not know about his dad??

... and Hackel senior is out of prison.

Laughing at people because they don't like folks who aren't photogenic... geeze you guys have been watching WAY TOO MUCH TV...

Not everyone looks like they do in Hollywood remember...

(Message edited by Gistok on March 05, 2007)

Chitaku

Post Number: 1234
Posted on Monday, March 05, 2007 - 12:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

damn, with todays vicious politics I'm suprised sonny-boy got voted in.

Chitaku

Post Number: 1235
Posted on Monday, March 05, 2007 - 12:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

my mom knows them through her work. She told me yesterday.

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 4638
Posted on Monday, March 05, 2007 - 12:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

His dad was much more famous than the current Mark Hackel. It was kind of amazing that Mark Hackel even succeeded his dad based upon the name alone.

Islandman
Username: Islandman

Post Number: 339

Ditto!

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 1639

quote:

At first I thought he was just a publicity hound ...

I think public relations would be in his job description. I've known far worse sheriffs than he. He seems conscientious about his service.

Mikem
Username: Mikem

Post Number: 3151
Posted on Monday, March 05, 2007 - 12:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Moderator, please make a Tara Grant superthread to contain all the lunacy.

Kenp

Post Number: 245
Posted on Monday, March 05, 2007 - 12:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Probably this should be on the non detroit page.

Gistok

Post Number: 3748
Posted on Monday, March 05, 2007 - 12:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nope, Lowell said that Detroit Issues INCLUDE metro-Detroit.

Dabirch
Username: Dabirch

Post Number: 2125
Posted on Monday, March 05, 2007 - 12:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He showed up a few times to help deliver turkeys at the old HJ's.

Bongman
Username: Bongman

Post Number: 1431
Posted on Monday, March 05, 2007 - 1:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A guy who is Sheriff for 27 years gets convicted of rape. Macomb County citizens respond by electing his son.

Nothing personal against Mark, but what else did you need to know about the people of Macomb County ?

Buddyinrichmond
Username: Buddyinrichmond

Post Number: 132
Posted on Monday, March 05, 2007 - 1:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hats off to our sheriff, Mark Hackel, for a job well done.

Bongman

Post Number: 1432
Posted on Monday, March 05, 2007 - 1:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He wasn't arrested in Macomb County, however he did escape from Macomb County.

Gistok

Post Number: 3753
Posted on Monday, March 05, 2007 - 1:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe you need to understand that there was NO arrest warrant for him until AFTER they entered his house.

Contrary to what has happened since 9/11, people still do have rights, and are presumed innocent until proven guilty. They could not legally hold him "without cause" until the search was ended.

Sheriff Hackel made sure they followed the legal system. To do otherwise could have had much of this thrown out of court... even with a body as evidence.

Funny how so many of us like to play armchair lawyer, without any legal knowledge whatsoever...

Bongman

Post Number: 1433
Posted on Monday, March 05, 2007 - 3:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Normally the police would have been able to detain him while the search warrant was executed. That is standard practice. The reason they were on shaky ground in doing so, is because the sheriff's had already detained him weeks earlier for questioning during an over zealous traffic stop. They won't admit that....but that's why he wasn't detained during the search. Why he wasn't followed when he went walking the dog is totally unexplainable.

Wash_man
Username: Wash_man

Post Number: 351
Posted on Monday, March 05, 2007 - 3:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mark Hackel is a dedicated law enforcement officer. His personal life (and his Dad's) have nothing to do with it. He was elected by the people and I am sure he will be re-elected.

Bongman

Post Number: 1434
Posted on Monday, March 05, 2007 - 3:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From the Macomb Daily....

"Macomb County Prosecutor Eric Smith said investigators found a Ziploc bag containing latex gloves, plastic bags, metal shavings and human blood in a wooded area not far from the Grant home in Washington Township. That discovery provided authorities with the probable cause necessary to obtain a search warrant for the home and a tool and die shop where Stephen Grant worked.

Smith said the shavings in the bag were consistent with what would be found in a tool-and-die shop. Hackel couldn't say when the bag was discovered."

....and they still weren't interested in detaining him during the search ?

...and why won't they tell you when it was found ?

(Message edited by Bong-Man on March 05, 2007)

Wash_man
Username: Wash_man

Post Number: 352
Posted on Monday, March 05, 2007 - 3:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Compare Mark Hackel to Ella. There's a thought. He makes her looks like a minimum wage security guard. She can't even find the Fireworks shooter after all these years. What about the Super Bowl weekend incident? Cameras on every corner and she still hasn't arrested anyone for that. Too bad Mark Hackel can't take over her job.

Ladyinabag
Username: Ladyinabag

Post Number: 19
Posted on Monday, March 05, 2007 - 3:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was very impressed with the handling of the Stephen Grant investigation by Mark Hackell. He was thorough, professional, intelligent, and, when speaking, extremely literate. I have formed a new respect for him.

Warriorfan
Username: Warriorfan

Post Number: 663
Posted on Monday, March 05, 2007 - 4:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

A guy who is Sheriff for 27 years gets convicted of rape. Macomb County citizens respond by electing his son

And why exactly should that have been a factor, or are sons now responsible for the sins of their fathers? As far as I know, the current Sheriff Mark Hackel hasn't raped anyone. There are many children in Detroit right now who have fathers in prison, perhaps we should hold that against them when it comes to hiring for jobs?

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 8459
Posted on Monday, March 05, 2007 - 4:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That was a perfectly fine point but there are a lot of children outside the city with fathers in jail as well.

Way to make a thread a city/suburb thing.

Ja1mz
Username: Ja1mz

Post Number: 9
Posted on Monday, March 05, 2007 - 5:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I must admit, before all this happened I did think that if you got between Mark Hackel and a TV camera you could get hurt. I have a new respect for him now, and think he has done a great job.

Jt1

Post Number: 8462
Posted on Monday, March 05, 2007 - 5:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He seems to be an attention hound but if he gets his job done it doesn't matter. He and Eric Smith seem to love the camera but if their constituents are happy with their work that should be more than fine.

What always amazes me is that Hackell seems to be on TV more than Warren Evans and OC's sheriff combined.

Fareastsider
Username: Fareastsider

Post Number: 195
Posted on Monday, March 05, 2007 - 6:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I dont know why people think HAckell is a attention hound. When a major crime happens the press usually shows up he doesnt make the publicity. I think he always has been professional. I think he is a good Sheriff for Macomb. I

Jt1

Post Number: 8463
Posted on Monday, March 05, 2007 - 6:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why are the WC/OC sheriff's never in the news. Am I missing when they are on or does MC have more stories like this.

The cameras show up when they know they will get an interview. It also helps when a press conference is set up for the media.

I ma not saying it is good or bad but compared to the other county sheriffs in the are he gets on TV a whole lot.

Ffdfd
Username: Ffdfd

Post Number: 45
Posted on Monday, March 05, 2007 - 6:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oakland County Sheriff Michael Bouchard got a lot of ink last year, and even managed over a million and half votes in the U.S. Senate race. But as they say in sports, no one remembers who came in second.

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 1645
Posted on Monday, March 05, 2007 - 6:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

... he doesnt make the publicity.

Unlike Sheriff Joe Arpaio who makes inmates wear pink underwear and eat green bologna just to create media buzz.

Warriorfan
Username: Warriorfan

Post Number: 664
Posted on Monday, March 05, 2007 - 7:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

That was a perfectly fine point but there are a lot of children outside the city with fathers in jail as well.

Way to make a thread a city/suburb thing.

And the original comment WASN'T? Give me a fucking break, there are PLENTY of people in this forum that automatically hate anything or anyone that is from OC or MC and you know it. Did you miss the part where Bongman said that "that tells me all I need to know about the people of Macomb County?" I made my comment to show how that kind of logic is bullshit by applying it to the reverse (to the city) and of course, you immediately took offense (as you should have). So why is it OK to do it to Macomb County?

Digitaldom
Username: Digitaldom

Post Number: 587
Posted on Monday, March 05, 2007 - 8:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah I agree with ladyinabag... I have grown to respect him from this tragic murder.. He handled it very professionally. He did it by the book.. which good for him.. at first when he was up for election I didn't vote for him because his rival had more experience then he did.. But it appears now I think he does a great job.. He is NOT a media hound.. and he is very careful with what he says.. good for him on doing good police work and getting this murder to justice quickly..

Jt1

Post Number: 8464
Posted on Monday, March 05, 2007 - 9:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Warrior - To answer your question; it's not OK to do it to MC. You could have easily pointed out the stupidity of Detroit citizens history of voting on name recognition. That would have made sense. Mocking the situation of children with father's in jail in the city is low class.

You had a very good comparison there for the taking. You chose to be an ass.

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 340
Posted on Monday, March 05, 2007 - 10:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jt1, it sure seems like YOU are the one that turns many, many threads into city v suburb by always claiming that its an issue. He brought up a valid point. Has nothing to do with city v suburb. Get over it already

Jt1

Post Number: 8465
Posted on Monday, March 05, 2007 - 10:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Show me the 'many' that you are talking about. I called out a low blow mocking the situation of children in the city. I even admitted on this thread that people in Detroit are historically stupid voters.

Read my post 8646 maybe that will clear it up a little for you.

The search function is to your left if you want to start searching for the many threds you mention.

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 4659
Posted on Tuesday, March 06, 2007 - 1:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think of Mark Hackel in the ways I think of Washington's Chief Moose a few years back during the highway sniper incidents. They're both cool and calm in front of the cameras and they delivered the facts- and quite frankly I think that's what we want in an officer. I don't ever remember them glorifying any of the events, making wildly flamboyant statements nor were they making accusations that had/ hadn't been proven yet.

There takes a certain cool demeanor to be one of these folks and from what I've seen Mark Hackel's done okay so far.

Gistok

Post Number: 3765
Posted on Tuesday, March 06, 2007 - 2:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Agreed Smogboy... he's done a very professional job. It's not like he was seeking the cameras... they came to him. He did a fine job of handling this situation.

I bet that the politicos took notice as well. (I assume he's a Democrat, but in Macomb County, never assume anything!).

East_detroit
Username: East_detroit

Post Number: 1005
Posted on Tuesday, March 06, 2007 - 7:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Senior did a nice retaliatory political hack job on SCS ex-Councilman Nearon who now appropriately works in the tool rental at Home Depot in Roseville.

Old_southwest
Username: Old_southwest

Post Number: 157
Posted on Tuesday, March 06, 2007 - 7:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Momma says he the devil.

Old_southwest
Username: Old_southwest

Post Number: 158
Posted on Tuesday, March 06, 2007 - 7:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There must be something wrong with his medula oblongata.

Or maybe it's just that he's got all them teeth and no toothbrush?

Ltd
Username: Ltd

Post Number: 2
Posted on Tuesday, March 06, 2007 - 8:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought the courts decide on the guilt of a suspect and the police were to just gather evidence and make arrests. Before Grant confessed, Hackel made comments to the press that essentially blamed Grant for the murder. Let the courts make a verdict not the police. He acted like a judge.

321brian
Username: 321brian

Post Number: 333
Posted on Tuesday, March 06, 2007 - 8:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wash_man,

I agree completely. Hackel is a pro.

His department is also expanding when a lot of others are shrinking or disbanding.

The Sheriffs Department recently took over in Mt. Clemens and saved them some major money.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.