Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Transit plans gain momentum « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Detroitman
Username: Detroitman

Post Number: 1057
Posted on Monday, March 05, 2007 - 9:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Transit plans gain momentum

Dems build buzz, seek cash for Detroit's transportation system

Andy Henion / The Detroit News

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pb cs.dll/article?AID=/20070305/M ETRO05/703050375/1016

Apbest
Username: Apbest

Post Number: 446
Posted on Monday, March 05, 2007 - 10:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

seems like the "buzz" really is gaining momentum from TRU and in congress and I feel like people are really starting to embrace the idea, I feel like it's only a matter of time until these measures which have failed time after time will have enough momentum/support to pull through...not expecting anything tommorow though

Bibs
Username: Bibs

Post Number: 673
Posted on Monday, March 05, 2007 - 12:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I believe that the Troy/Birmingham Transit center is moving forward. This transit center is located at the Amtrak station near 15 mile and Coolidge. Both cities are contributing to the transit station. I would think that the most heavily traveled rail link would be between Oakland Co and the airport. Avoiding rush hour traffic and getting there on time would be great.

Detroit313
Username: Detroit313

Post Number: 294
Posted on Monday, March 05, 2007 - 2:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm all for it. Can't wait to fly into Metro and take a train to DD for the autoshow. Then a train to Midtown, then to Troy. 313

Diehard
Username: Diehard

Post Number: 30
Posted on Monday, March 05, 2007 - 3:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Call me a cynic, but I have a gut feeling that L. Brooks will fight anything that links Oakland Co. with Detroit, or costs Oakland anything. There have been cases nationally of wealthier communities fighting transit, the idea being rich folks don't want anyone too poor to afford a car to be able to get near them.

Professorscott
Username: Professorscott

Post Number: 246
Posted on Monday, March 05, 2007 - 4:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The honorable Oakland County executive is just about the only leader left who is seen to be somewhat anti-transit, and I'm not that sure he is. He is fiscally conservative, and as such he worries about the expense of a real transit system, but even he has admitted publicly that our existing system is not adequate.

Things being what they are, and Mr. Patterson being the politician that he is, I think he might be inclined to sit out the fight this time. We'll see.

Fishtoes2000
Username: Fishtoes2000

Post Number: 179
Posted on Monday, March 05, 2007 - 4:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Senator Shirley Johnson (approps chair) was anti-transit and she was term limited last year. That helps things.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 464
Posted on Monday, March 05, 2007 - 4:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I actually don't think LBP is gonna fight this one. Whatever happened to him wanting to widen I-75 above 8 Mile? I remember hearing about him and Granholm going toe to toe for that... the cost for that project would basically fund a brand new light rail system around the entire metropolis.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.