Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Warren Avenue 45 miles end-to-end « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 2025
Posted on Sunday, March 04, 2007 - 8:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Interesting piece on Warren Avenue and all that you can find along its 45 miles in today's Free Press. There's been a lot of discussion of E. Warren Ave. in the Far Eastsiders Forum and in the Warrendale threads, but rather than burying the link inside an existing thread, it deserves its very own thread:

A world on Warren Avenue: In its nearly 45 miles, the road goes from city to country and into thousands of lives

March 4, 2007
BY JEFF SEIDEL
FREE PRESS STAFF WRITER

"You could live your whole life on Warren Avenue. Go to school -- elementary, middle, high school and college. Hang out at the mall. Get a house. Go to work. Eat, drink and buy a car. Get your car fixed. Go to church. Remodel your house. Go to a park. Buy a wedding dress. Get your hair done. Get married. Learn to ride a horse. Get treated for cancer. Celebrate St. Patrick's Day. Play golf. Go bowling. Attend a funeral. Get your taxes done. Die. End up in the morgue. And get buried at a cemetery.

Warren Avenue runs east-west across metro Detroit, stretching from the inner city to farm country. It is a road that is as complicated as Detroit: long and ever-changing, offering a spectrum of culture, race, class and geography. It is a road with many colors and nuance. White. Black. Arab. Rich. Poor. Baptist. 7th Day Adventist. Lutheran. Catholic.

You name it, Warren's got it. ...."

Full article at: http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=/20070304/FEA TURES01/703040569/1025/FEATURE S

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 1043
Posted on Sunday, March 04, 2007 - 8:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hey I live 2 houses from Warren Ave!

Docmo
Username: Docmo

Post Number: 250
Posted on Sunday, March 04, 2007 - 8:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I used to live @ 7395 Warren Rd in Superior Township. I once drove Warren all the way from the sticks of Superior
Township to Woodward Ave. It is definitely an interesting drive. I had lunch at Cedarland in Dearborn. That's some pretty tasty Middle Eastern food there.

Bulletmagnet
Username: Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 97
Posted on Sunday, March 04, 2007 - 9:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I lived in this apartment (see photo) at 16315 E Warren from the late 70’s thru the late 80’s. My land lord was Paul Reith, who owned the Papercraft Printers below me. The apartment had more then enough room with three bedrooms, large living room, dinning room nice kitchen, and a bath with a separate shower. Just about every one I knew shared that place with me to split the rent, which was only $150.00 a month. There was always a party going on it seemed, with lots of drinking and loud music. Rose and Doms party store was right next door to me, so there was never any fear of running out of Stroh’s. I walked to all the night clubs on the Avenue, Red Carpet, B’stilla, Onyx Bar, Barbies Bedford Inn, to name but a few. The laundry mat was right across the street, and I fell in love with a sweet Canadian girl who worked there. The Liquor store (Wine Basket) was two blocks away, as well as my bank. There were the restaurants too: Sanders, Saber Lancer, BJ’s, Sahara, Mediterranean, Hungry Penguin and Cal’s. The Alger was still showing movies at the time, and I saw 2001, A Space Odyssey, Airplane and many more there. The Thomas Jefferson Branch was just around the corner. It took me 5 minutes to get to work at Mack and Kerby Rd. I’ve got tons of photos of that place, and lots of memories.
http://farm1.static.flickr.com /166/406395060_bfe8f3d3f8_b.jp g

(Message edited by Bulletmagnet on March 04, 2007)

Jiscodazz
Username: Jiscodazz

Post Number: 1
Posted on Sunday, March 04, 2007 - 9:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Once upon a time I was a country boy. I grew up on Warren Rd. in Superior Township between Godfredson and Berry(where I think it ends). Thank goodness that Washtenaw County won't allow sewers out there, otherwise that to would be swallow by Metro Detroit's insane expansion.

Catman_dude
Username: Catman_dude

Post Number: 101
Posted on Sunday, March 04, 2007 - 9:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I lived off Warren Road in Westland for most of my time in the Detroit area. Westland's namesake mall is at the intersection of Warren and Wayne roads. When I was about 11 or 12 years old, I sneaked out of the house at 3 or 4 in the morning and rode my bike in the middle of Warren Road, going back and forth from one side of the 5 lane road to the other with no cars whatsoever during my trek up to the mall. I just wanted to see what everything was like in the middle of the night. But the mall's night guard in a cop car scared me into going back home and I thought I was in big big trouble.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 2517
Posted on Sunday, March 04, 2007 - 9:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I lived about a minute from its eastern edge where it hits Mack Avenue near GP Farms. I frequently drove Warren from GP to midtown, and really enjoyed the swift-moving traffic on the one-way portion after Cadillac Blvd.

Driving eastbound you are routed to Forest Ave. starting at St. Aubin, and Forest just isn't the same.

I did not know, actually, until today, that Warren extended to Washtenaw County. Right before seeing this thread I saw it for myself, from US23 as I was coming into Ann Arbor (a route I don't normally take).

Dougw
Username: Dougw

Post Number: 1580
Posted on Sunday, March 04, 2007 - 11:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yep, it's the only surface street that extends all the way from Grosse Pointe to Ann Arbor. From Mack Ave to Whitmore Lake Road. It does take a short jog at Plymouth-Ann Arbor Road, though.

Docmo
Username: Docmo

Post Number: 251
Posted on Monday, March 05, 2007 - 10:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Warren used to be contiguous from G.P. out to Ann Arbor until M-14 was built. Where Warren crosses from the south side of M-14 to the north side the two roads are almost parallel. MDOT must have decided it was just too expensive to build such a long bridge over M-14.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.