Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » David Griem « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Softailrider
Username: Softailrider

Post Number: 10
Posted on Sunday, March 04, 2007 - 6:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm no huge fan of law enforcement in any of its forms or agencies , but , criminal attorney David Griem makes my blood boil . This guy is like a moth , when the TV lights come on he appears . Stephen Grant make an idiot out of him so he drops him as a client . He does an interview outside his office and says " I'm not a shyster , I don't need the money " I'm sure he doesn't NEED the money but don't kid yourself , all he cares about is the dollars and he loved every minute of the publicity he got from this case until it turned around on him .

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 334
Posted on Sunday, March 04, 2007 - 6:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wouldnt represent Mr Grant either.

Psip
Username: Psip

Post Number: 1499
Posted on Sunday, March 04, 2007 - 7:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Geoffry Feiger to the rescue? This trial is going to be a media circus. With Hackel being the ringmaster.

The_nerd
Username: The_nerd

Post Number: 410
Posted on Sunday, March 04, 2007 - 8:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think a lawyer has a right to drop a client who does something so morally repulsive that: (1) it threatens the lawyers effective representation of the client, (2)The client has clearly abused the Attorney-Client Relationship; and (3) The lawyer can drop the client only when "dropping" will not prejudice the client (i.e. suspiciously in the middle of trial).

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 4610
Posted on Sunday, March 04, 2007 - 9:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I never heard about this lawyer until this case. From what I saw of him on the news, he did everything okay for his client (defending his right to privacy, being the face for his supposed innocence, etc.) until Stepehn Grant hightailed it out of there.

At what point is Griem supposed to stay with this client?

Treelock
Username: Treelock

Post Number: 187
Posted on Sunday, March 04, 2007 - 9:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He acted like an ass but I can't blame him for wanting to dump his client.

But my question is, what have we spawned with the rise of the place called Macomb County? First Jennifer Kukla, now Stephen Grant. Granted these are gruesome, sensational crimes the likes of which we may never see again (let's hope), but the place is increasingly the setting of some seriously sick shit. Scan the court stories and briefs in the Mac Daily or any of the other locals if you don't believe me; there are some twisted folks out there.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 3735
Posted on Sunday, March 04, 2007 - 9:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Treelock, what are you talking about? Macomb County is no worse than Wayne or Oakland County... same shit happens in all 3.

Maybe you ought to read more than just the Macomb Daily to get a better view of what is happening THROUGHOUT metro Detroit.

You may have missed those 2 boys getting shot in the head on the west side. Or that student in Ypsilanti who's father would like to know from authorities how his daughter died?

There's shit happening all over the place, and NOT just in "twisted" Macomb County.

(Message edited by Gistok on March 04, 2007)

Treelock
Username: Treelock

Post Number: 188
Posted on Sunday, March 04, 2007 - 9:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good point Gistok, it's all violent. And actually I read the Detroit dailies far more often than I do the Mac Daily. But Jesus there is some whack shit happening there.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 3736
Posted on Sunday, March 04, 2007 - 9:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Truth is stranger than fiction!!

Quinn
Username: Quinn

Post Number: 1166
Posted on Monday, March 05, 2007 - 8:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I actually worked with David for 3 years at Jaffe Raitt when they were downtown in the mid nineties.

He was one of the nicest lawyers at the firm, the only criminal defense lawyer there. From what I remember, he was famous for representing a famous client in a murder case, and he won the case.

Anyway...I don't see a problem with a lawyer removing himself from a case like this. I really don't understand this thread...why are you so angry? It seems you're argument is based on some assumptions about all lawyers...like you're still angry about O.J. or something.

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1525
Posted on Monday, March 05, 2007 - 8:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

in all of the TV interviews with Griem over the weekend, he was wearing a Detroit Police stocking cap, i thought that was funny

Rjlj
Username: Rjlj

Post Number: 285
Posted on Monday, March 05, 2007 - 8:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Griem is a very high priced lawyer, one of the best in Michigan. He is very respected in this state, hence the reason he was originally hired.

Ffdfd
Username: Ffdfd

Post Number: 43
Posted on Monday, March 05, 2007 - 8:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I'm no huge fan of law enforcement in any of its forms or agencies

This belongs on the "Huh?" thread on a different message board.

Kenp
Username: Kenp

Post Number: 239
Posted on Monday, March 05, 2007 - 9:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He bailed because he was going to get nothing but bad publicity on this case. A lawyer keeping the cops out of the house with a dead body inside for a couple weeks.
And whats up with him telling everybody the suspect committed suicide.
A new lawyer will come and take his place, they can all smell the money. Thats what this is all about.

Quinn

Post Number: 1167
Posted on Monday, March 05, 2007 - 10:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well they guy disappeared and was caught hiding with no shoes or coat under a fallen tree limb in the UP in snow and freezing temperatures. It wouldn't surprise me to find out he planned to stay there and die. Not saying anyone knows he had a death wish, but if he went to that extent, maybe his last phone call with Griem sounded so dire anyone of us would think he was suicidal.

All speculation.

Good point though...how awful for Griem that he kept the police out of his house for so long when this whole thing coulda been over weeks ago. How aweful for everyone I should say.

Darwinism
Username: Darwinism

Post Number: 622
Posted on Monday, March 05, 2007 - 10:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree with Quinn. This defense attorney was protecting his client, Stephen Grant, for weeks and made his best effort to maintain the legal rights up until the end.

And guess what, Grant made his former attorney look and sound like a fool. If I were Griem, I sure wouldn't like to be played like that. I would have quit too.

To be honest, this case is more suited for a flamboyant criminal defense attorney like Fieger. My guess is that this isn't exactly Griem's cup of tea.

Smogboy

Post Number: 4624
Posted on Monday, March 05, 2007 - 10:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm not so sure Griem did the wrong thing by keeping the Police at bay. If they didn't have a search warrant, Griem was upholding the law by stating the obvious and protecting his client's privacy- no warrant, no entry. He was doing his job. I think the onus there fell on the Sheriff's office to come up with a probable cause and then obtain the warrant.

As far as telling everyone Grant committed suicide, he did no such thing- he told them he THOUGHT that he had committed suicide. Quite frankly so did everyone else.

As far as any lawyers wanting to come onto the case for money? What money is there to be grabbed? A few moments of camera time maybe but beyond that, I don't think there's much cash to be gotten. It wouldn't surprise me to see him with a public defender because no one wants to touch this case.

Kenp

Post Number: 240
Posted on Monday, March 05, 2007 - 10:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How much cash? Are you kidding me. This morning Hackell and the deceased's sister were on the morning show circuit today national TV.
The circus is about to begin.

Smogboy

Post Number: 4625
Posted on Monday, March 05, 2007 - 11:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Okay Kenp, if you think some attorney is going to rake in millions, you tell me where they're going to get this money? Obviously not from the Grant estate. There's no one to sue. No corporate giants to take down and I really don't see any wreckless mayhem that the government has done. Sure, it's a topic of discussion now but in this day and age, I see this story going away sooner than you think.

Grant's already confessed, he'll be senetenced and the only long term money from any of this is IF someone wants to write a book (eventual TV movie perhaps?) about it. And somehow I don't think the families will do so as long as the children are still so young.

So Kenp... show me the money.

Kenp

Post Number: 241
Posted on Monday, March 05, 2007 - 11:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How do you think Feiger got were he is today, its the publicity he made for himself. Self promotion is a huge advantage in this case. That were the money comes from.

Smogboy

Post Number: 4633
Posted on Monday, March 05, 2007 - 11:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Feiger got onto cases where he could also sue someone and win. How many times has he stood up for the lowly guy and won big cash for his cleintele? Plenty- and for him just to skim a percentage off of that is big cash.

His fame was just a by-product and much of it was also from Geoffrey Feiger and his ego enjoying the camera lights.

Any lawyer that latches onto defending Grant is going to lose (he's confessed). Is that the kind of fame a lawyer wants?? I don't see too many people wanting to hire losing attorneys no matter how famous they are.

Winning lawyers = fame = cash

Kenp

Post Number: 242
Posted on Monday, March 05, 2007 - 11:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lets see how this pans out in the real world smogboy, Im curious to see who the new lawyer is.

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 1228
Posted on Monday, March 05, 2007 - 12:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Griem says he's a bulldog. I think like most lawyers, especially the ones working on Griswold he is SLIME!

Quinn

Post Number: 1168
Posted on Monday, March 05, 2007 - 12:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well I like David. Seriously, a very nice man.

Speaking of Feiger...what's with all of these lame commercials on TV and newscasts sponsored by NAACP AND Jeffrey Feiger? I feel like he's running for some office, but what office? It's so confusing, and might I add creepy. He's just creepy.

On a side note, we get some lame Bloomfield Hills Monthly MagRag out here at my office, and he and his wife are on the cover. They are showing off this GROSS house...umpteen thousand square feet, pool in the foyer, pink marble for days. Anyone seen this? It's atrocious.

I don't understand why, when so many are in dire straights in this region and companies are laying off workers by the thousands, that Jeffrey Feiger feels comfortable flaunting his wealth. Given his print and tv campaign to ingratiate himself with the common folk...why do this?

Anyone else seen this horror?

Smogboy

Post Number: 4634
Posted on Monday, March 05, 2007 - 12:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chitaku- c'mon now. I'm not exactly a fan of sleezy attorneys, but the least you could do is cite some reasons as to why you think he's slime.

And quite honestly I haven't seen anything that Griem has done in this case that casts him in that light. Up to the point where Grant was busted i think he's done a decent job in protecting his client's legal rights.

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 335
Posted on Monday, March 05, 2007 - 12:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow, the guy looks a lot different on TV than he sounds. I was expecting a younger Fieger hah.. What firm downtown does he work at? Couldnt tell from the camera angle

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 1232
Posted on Monday, March 05, 2007 - 12:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh please, did you see the slime ball all over Fox news? " I'm no scheister" give me a break. This has nothing to do with that murderous freak Grant. This guy is as bad as that judge in the fat playboy playmate death case.

Griem is.... a scheister.

Quinn

Post Number: 1169
Posted on Monday, March 05, 2007 - 12:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just checked and he still works at Jaffe. http://jafferaitt.com/Bio/Davi dGriem.asp

Jaffe used to be in the 20-24 floors of 0ne woodward avenue back when I was there. They moved out to Southfield...why I haven't a clue.

The offices in One Woodward (Old ANR) were fabulous though...

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 1605
Posted on Monday, March 05, 2007 - 12:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It is some what ironic, but if memory serves me right, Griem represented Sheriff Hackel's father, Bill, who was sheriff prior to Mark taking over the office, and who was convicted of rape by a jury in Isabella County. Griem, I believe, was Bill Hackel's attorney on his unsuccessful appeal.

Quinn

Post Number: 1170
Posted on Monday, March 05, 2007 - 2:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I knew that name sounded familiar associated with David Griem (hackel)! Wasn't he convicted of raping a judge?

Psip
Username: Psip

Post Number: 1503
Posted on Monday, March 05, 2007 - 3:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

William Hackel (father) info
http://www.lewrockwell.com/ori g/coster1.html

Prison Record
http://www.state.mi.us/mdoc/as p/otis2profile.asp?mdocNumber= 311349

Sex Offender Registry
http://www.mipsor.state.mi.us/ PSORSearchDetails.aspx?oid=113 63702

Ladyinabag
Username: Ladyinabag

Post Number: 20
Posted on Monday, March 05, 2007 - 3:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mr. Greim was all for defending Mr. Grant until he found out that he had been lied to by Grant and also when he found out about the heinousness of the crime. I would have bowed out as well.

(Message edited by ladyinabag on March 05, 2007)

Quinn

Post Number: 1171
Posted on Monday, March 05, 2007 - 3:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ladyinabag...just curious. Is that screen name comment on your drinking habits? Hahahaha. Just kidding.

I think we should be friends!

Ladyinabag

Post Number: 21
Posted on Monday, March 05, 2007 - 3:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quinn-

A "bag" is a slang, beatnik, term for a state of beingness. It could be any state....ie "she is in a hippie bag", or, Hackel is in a Sheriff bag....or, James Brown, "Papa's Got A Brand New Bag" when James switched from R&B & Soul to Funk.

(Message edited by ladyinabag on March 06, 2007)

Softailrider

Post Number: 11
Posted on Monday, March 05, 2007 - 7:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quinn---
The reason why Griem makes me so angry is if he can be around when the TV lights come on he's there . He may be the nicest guy in the world in an office setting or at a cocktail party but I know for a fact that he's out to do the least amount of work he can do for his fee . I really don't think he gives a shit about his clients . He says he doesn't need the money and I'm sure he doesn't , but ,all he cares about is the bucks and the publicity , In that order .

Scs100
Username: Scs100

Post Number: 541
Posted on Monday, March 05, 2007 - 8:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If Figer takes over for Griem, I will definitely smash my TV with a sledgehammer in order to avoid the media circus.

Quinn

Post Number: 1175
Posted on Monday, March 05, 2007 - 10:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Softrailrider...your opinion is based purely on conjecture. You don't know Griem, so how can you assume all of that about him? Your argument is pretty ridiculous.

My point in posting on this thread, as it is about David Griem, is to give a personal snapshot, even if a distant one, of David and my experience with him. But hey, maybe your're right and he really is scum...maybe martians are crawling out of my left nipple, maybe Ahmadinejad and Bush regularly meet for secret, romantic weekends. Jesus!

Softailrider

Post Number: 12
Posted on Tuesday, March 06, 2007 - 4:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quinn --
How are you aware that I don't know Griem ? Perhaps I know him way better then you do. I'm not making any " assumptions" at all. You should keep focusing on those martians seeping out of the soft tissue areas of you body . You certainly don't know who my friends or acquaintances are .

Leoqueen
Username: Leoqueen

Post Number: 1500
Posted on Tuesday, March 06, 2007 - 7:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why is this thread in DISCUSS DETROIT?

Terridarlin
Username: Terridarlin

Post Number: 6
Posted on Tuesday, March 06, 2007 - 9:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's the Feiger house if anyone is interested: http://www.signaturemag.com/bi rmingham/content/index.php?opt ion=com_content&task=view&id=1 43&Itemid=26

Ladyinabag

Post Number: 22
Posted on Tuesday, March 06, 2007 - 9:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Leoqueen-

Because Greim is a Detroit lawyer with offices downtown. Has anybody heard if Jeffrey Feiger is going to defend Stephen Grant for sure? There seems to be quite a bit of conjecture.

3rdworldcity
Username: 3rdworldcity

Post Number: 486
Posted on Tuesday, March 06, 2007 - 12:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quinn: Would it be unreasonable to assume that Jaffe Raitt told him to drop the case or leave the firm? That's my guess.

Also, assuming the confession was properly obtained, there are few viable defenses left. Maybe attack the issuance of the search warrant (rarely successful) which if it were succesful wouldn't tank the case in view of the confession.

The new lawyer will be somebody who can plea bargain for a choice of prison possibly, or some other crumb.

Mikem
Username: Mikem

Post Number: 3163
Posted on Tuesday, March 06, 2007 - 12:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ladyinabag picked a bad time and a bad subject to start posting about.

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 1607
Posted on Tuesday, March 06, 2007 - 1:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Grant's going to need an attorney who is more interested in the protection of his client than in making the 6 PM local news.
And whomever it is has some serious and challenging efforts ahead of him ( or her) such as a motion to throw out the "confession" which is really a statement, rather than a confession. Should Grant have even been interviewed while in police custody (and in bed )in Northern Michigan? Will the full transcript of the bed-side "confession" be released? He did not fire his atty, his atty fired him. Thus, was Grant "still represented" though not by a name? That's just for starters.
It will take a skilled criminal attorney to fully protect and defend this guy. Gonna be real interesting.

Ladyinabag

Post Number: 23
Posted on Tuesday, March 06, 2007 - 2:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mikem-

What are you saying? I don't understand you. I am wondering what set off Grant to commit this act. Was there history of physical abuse on his part? I don't think so. I am sure that Tara Grant would have called the police if there was. I have a feeling that this was a one time thing. As far as her referring to him as her 'valet" (he mentioned this in the press). I think that this was some kind of power struggle where only by killing her would he win. Well, he can sit in jail for the rest of his life and feel powerful....that is, of course, until the white supremecists get a hold of him.

Mikem
Username: Mikem

Post Number: 3167
Posted on Tuesday, March 06, 2007 - 2:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's your handle. You're new here, showing up about the same time Tara disappeared. You're posting on threads concerning a chopped up woman who was probably carried about town in a bag, while using a screen name of Lady-in-a-bag. Sorry, don't take it personally.

Ladyinabag

Post Number: 25
Posted on Tuesday, March 06, 2007 - 3:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mikem-

Gotcha. That is pretty wierd. Scroll up to my post, Monday 3/5 3:41 PM. I explained my handle.

Quinn

Post Number: 1176
Posted on Tuesday, March 06, 2007 - 3:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Softailrider, I suggest if you do know him and think he's slime, then you'd say so and give us some info to make your case. Since you haven't done this, either you are making unsubstantiated claims, or your a boob for not making your point.

Either way you look pretty bad here. (I mean...you are calling the man slime)

3rdwrld...interesting you say that because as of now, Griem is off their site! http://jafferaitt.com/CM/Custo m/TOCAttorneys.asp#G

Now, I'm betting he's not left the firm...they just didn't want any bad publicity. Don't blame them. And who knows...maybe he left the firm a while ago and they just now took his name off the site (Like I said, I worked there in the mid 90's so it's been a long time).

Alright...has this thread been worn out yet? Geesh...I just read the Comerica thing. We've got bigger fish to fry (cry over)

(Message edited by quinn on March 06, 2007)

Softailrider

Post Number: 13
Posted on Wednesday, March 07, 2007 - 3:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When Jaffe moved from 2 Woodward Avenue to the American Center Building in Southfield I don't believe Greim moved with them . He was "of council" with that firm anyway , not a partner of any type .

Softailrider

Post Number: 14
Posted on Wednesday, March 07, 2007 - 3:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quinn -- I believe I've made my point about David Griem quite well , ask anyone who knows him , and trust me , they'll tell you basically the same things I've said . You , on the other hand, should try getting your point across without resorting to juvenile writings and name calling.

Quinn

Post Number: 1177
Posted on Wednesday, March 07, 2007 - 7:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You know what...you're right. I remember him being of counsel now. He did have an office and the firm supplied a full-time secretary.

Soft rail...you're the one calling someone slime here. Geesh!

Smogboy

Post Number: 4692
Posted on Wednesday, March 07, 2007 - 12:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Stephen Rabaut got appointed to defend the Grant case now.

Whom?

Ladyinabag

Post Number: 31
Posted on Wednesday, March 07, 2007 - 6:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I suggest auto-erotic gone haywire. I should have been a lawyer.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.