Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » DPS Book Depository « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Bohemianrobot
Username: Bohemianrobot

Post Number: 8
Posted on Saturday, March 03, 2007 - 1:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pics from my trip this morning...

http://flickr.com/photos/bohem ianrobot/sets/7215759456732318 6/

(Message edited by bohemianrobot on March 03, 2007)

Fareastsider
Username: Fareastsider

Post Number: 184
Posted on Saturday, March 03, 2007 - 2:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

where is that building located?

Bohemianrobot

Post Number: 9
Posted on Saturday, March 03, 2007 - 2:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Its the next building east of the MCS @ Marantette/15th.

Burnsie
Username: Burnsie

Post Number: 878
Posted on Saturday, March 03, 2007 - 2:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Originally a post office facility, it was designed by Albert Kahn.

Opus
Username: Opus

Post Number: 35
Posted on Saturday, March 03, 2007 - 3:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My question is "What kind of material is in the piles on the floor?" Is it just rotted text books and other paper materials? Some of the shots look like desk legs sticking up. At least I now know where D Funk took his building hockey photos :-).

Ed_golick
Username: Ed_golick

Post Number: 563
Posted on Saturday, March 03, 2007 - 4:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's the DPS Roosevelt warehouse, which held a lot more than books. Dry goods, janitorial supplies, school supplies, teaching materials, chemicals for science classes etc. etc.. everything that was needed to run the school system. They also had photo offset printing facilities there and ROTC headquarters shared the building. That's the warehouse where the great toilet paper scandal took place.

Burnsie

Post Number: 879
Posted on Saturday, March 03, 2007 - 8:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When did it close?

Ed_golick

Post Number: 564
Posted on Saturday, March 03, 2007 - 9:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It was destroyed by fire in the late 80s by a disgruntled employee.

Opus,
The "desk legs" that you described are actually metal pipes that attatched to wooden pallets so that a second pallet could be stacked on top for more storage.

There was a tunnel that connected the warehouse to the MCS, built to move mail quickly from the MCS to the warehouse back when it was a post office.

Bohemianrobot

Post Number: 11
Posted on Saturday, March 03, 2007 - 11:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the info, Ed_Golick. I wonder if the tunnel still exists.

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 347
Posted on Saturday, March 03, 2007 - 11:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Originally a post office facility, it was designed by Albert Kahn.

Actually, we paid a visit today. According to the building itself, it was designed by Albert Kahn Inc., but that doesn't mean Kahn himself was the architect.

Ed_golick

Post Number: 566
Posted on Sunday, March 04, 2007 - 11:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The tunnel was sealed up years ago.

English
Username: English

Post Number: 522
Posted on Thursday, March 08, 2007 - 12:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My grandfather was the head building engineer there until he retired in the early 80s. My mom and dad were clerks there in the late 70s. They met, fell in love, and married within 8 months. Dad left in 1980 for the USPS; Mom in 1983 to be a stay-at-home mom.

Yes, there was a lot of corruption associated with the building, as with all of DPS. But there were good people who worked there, too.

I looked at the pictures and cried. I can't have been more than four or five the last time I was there... but I certainly remember it well. My father and grandfather have been dead nearly a decade, and my mom's nearing 60... and seeing this made them young again in my mind.

Thank you.

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1532
Posted on Thursday, March 08, 2007 - 12:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

And after peeking into the basement through the windows, it confirmed an earlier rumor mentioned on here. Glad that the building is getting SOME sort of use after all of these years

nice! ;)

Burnsie

Post Number: 886
Posted on Thursday, March 08, 2007 - 1:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anybody know if Kahn actually designed the DPS warehouse? I wonder if Albert Kahn Associates still has records for that sort of thing?

It certainly has the overall look of something he did. I suppose he gave an overall guidance to many projects while leaving many of the details up to his staff.

Aiw
Username: Aiw

Post Number: 6191
Posted on Thursday, March 08, 2007 - 2:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I wonder if Albert Kahn Associates still has records for that sort of thing?

Yes, they have a massive archive.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.