Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Wal-Mart in Livonia needs to be boycotted « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Trainman
Username: Trainman

Post Number: 349
Posted on Saturday, March 03, 2007 - 9:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This company supported the efforts to remove a large federally funded bus shelter owned by SMART and DDOT.

I publicly demand they post bus schedules for the few remaining DDOT buses and support the return of SMART. At city hall, their top officials openly rejected industry support for SMART and ignored the concerns of the residents who tried to save SMART.

Wal-Mart did not just say NO for mass transit but said HELL NO. So, please do not shop there.

I'm very serious because if no one shops there then everyone will know the importance of protecting those who qualify for ADA transit funds and understand the real reasons behind the Livonia opt out. The vast majority of us worked hard to save SMART and want Detroit to have good bus service to the suburban jobs.

So, please DO NOT shop at the Livonia Wal-Mart, if you do not see DDOT bus schedules posted and plans to restore the bus shelter at Plymouth and Middlebelt Roads prominently displayed at the entrance of the store.

Kathinozarks
Username: Kathinozarks

Post Number: 232
Posted on Saturday, March 03, 2007 - 9:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Trainman, I wish you well and hope that at least some of the fellow DYer's will step up and get behind your effort.

I live in Arkansas now (grew up Eastside) and shop everywhere else in town besides WM if at all possible. (and it is very possible)

Walmart is not a good place.

Tkangas_23
Username: Tkangas_23

Post Number: 8
Posted on Saturday, March 03, 2007 - 10:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

All Wal-Marts should be boycotted. They provide a few minimum wage jobs in return for the destruction of local-based economy.

If you must shop at a huge discount retailer, choose Meijer, it's Michigan based, so at least some of the profit gets pumped back into our economy

Mrjoshua
Username: Mrjoshua

Post Number: 1212
Posted on Saturday, March 03, 2007 - 10:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Trainman, I'm now going to shop at the Livonia Walmart a lot more.

Miss_cleo
Username: Miss_cleo

Post Number: 420
Posted on Saturday, March 03, 2007 - 10:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We have done the ultimate boycott of them here, we didnt let them build

Waxx
Username: Waxx

Post Number: 76
Posted on Saturday, March 03, 2007 - 11:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Of all the Wal-Marts I've shopped, the one in Livonia I really didn't care for because Livonia was reluctant to open it because-and this WAS in the paper-they didn't want black folks coming out there-PUSSIES! I haven't even walked inside of it yet, I don't think I ever will either. I will say this, though. The one in Chesterfield (24hrs.) is THE best one in the tri-county area. But the only thing(s) in Livonia that turned me on was Wonderland, Media Play, and Comic Center on Middlebelt and 7 Mile. Most times I really don't care for Livonia. Redford, yes, but Livonia, no.

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 698
Posted on Saturday, March 03, 2007 - 11:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Trainman...

What was their reason for wanting to remove a "federally funded" bus shelter?

Trainman

Post Number: 350
Posted on Saturday, March 03, 2007 - 3:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The reason was for land to build their store. SMART and DDOT owned about 3 acres of land.

It will take strong moral leadership in Lansing to make our public transit systems work by firing the present incompetent transit managers at both SMART and DDOT who helped caused the loss of Livonia bus service or make them do their jobs before next August 2010. If SMART does not come back to Livonia then please vote NO to get the SMART managers fired.

The tax breaks we give Wal-Mart to destroy our communities such as Livonia is Corporate Welfare.
This is how my city council members got thier raises but Livonia is not alone when it comes to having a few crooked politicians. They know who they are.

It will takes money to fight the Michigan Department of Transportation and SMART to restore and protect all funding for public bus service and all ADA funds from the tax on fuel.

http://savethefueltax.tripod.com/remain3.html

(Message edited by Trainman on March 03, 2007)

(Message edited by Trainman on March 03, 2007)

Craig
Username: Craig

Post Number: 22
Posted on Saturday, March 03, 2007 - 3:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Trainman, you're confusing me. Taking a stop off of the bus line is good for WalMart? - potentially that's bad for WalMart if customers cannot get to the store. Paying a couple cents more for a milkshake to pay for transit is corporate welfare? - transit is a public good, used to get people to retailers as well over to aunt Millie's for Sunday dinner. There are good reasons to not shop at WalMart, but you've not yet made them in this thread.

Enduro
Username: Enduro

Post Number: 62
Posted on Saturday, March 03, 2007 - 3:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had tried to avoid Wal Mart for years but I just saw the doc "The High Price of Low Cost" and it made me hate Wal Mart all the more.

I will never spend a dime in any of their stores and it sickens me my tax dollars go to support their "associates" because a billion dollar company nickles and dimes them to the point they need aid.

Missnmich
Username: Missnmich

Post Number: 573
Posted on Saturday, March 03, 2007 - 4:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I, like you, Kathinozarks live in Walmart's back yard. I also try to avoid it. Besides, only Kroger carries Vernor's in the town I live in.

Kathinozarks -- I live on the Ozark side of the Ark River Valley, and own a home up in the hills between Fayetteville and Eureka Springs. Maybe we can get a local chapter FSC going (not in my county, though it's dry.)

Trainman -- Sounds like the city of Livonia was involved too. Why would Walmart care? I've seen lots of Walmarts on transit lines. The only color they care about is green!

Thames
Username: Thames

Post Number: 13
Posted on Saturday, March 03, 2007 - 4:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't go into that store anymore. I've gone there a couple of times and every time the store was FILTHY. The parking lot was FILTHY. I don't know why anyone would shop there. Actually, I never shop at any Walmart's because of that store. Everytime I hear the name, I think of that particular location and figure they're all the same.

(Message edited by thames on March 03, 2007)

Urbanize
Username: Urbanize

Post Number: 50
Posted on Saturday, March 03, 2007 - 5:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That must be the location in Warren then Thames.
I had similar experiences at that one. Not all the locations are like that. The one in Roseville is wonderful. You must choose the right one. It depends in what bases on who shop there for what. They do have very reasonable prices on mst things. However, there also breaking the knees of many Mom & Pop stores along with the storefront Chain Stores.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 3726
Posted on Saturday, March 03, 2007 - 5:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LOL, you newbies will eventually figure out that Trainman is someone who NEVER EVER talks about anything on this forum except his own baffling funding ideas for transportation and Livonia opting out of SMART... Period.

He talks of NOTHING else on this forum except for those 2 items... ad nauseum. DetroitYes is littered with dozens of threads where he keeps bringing them up over and over again...

Just go check out any transportation related thread and see for yourself...

Urbanize

Post Number: 51
Posted on Saturday, March 03, 2007 - 5:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Trust me Gistok, I already know. You dont want to hear my opinion on it.

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 2685
Posted on Saturday, March 03, 2007 - 5:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From a practical POV, just how effective could a boycott of Wal-Mart be if it mostly involves shoppers who never would go there in the first place? Seems like preaching to the choir.

And Wal-Mart will be none the worse off for it and maybe possibly gain business due to the free publicity.

(Message edited by LivernoisYard on March 03, 2007)

Urbanize

Post Number: 52
Posted on Saturday, March 03, 2007 - 6:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I guess you guys will have to be on the street some distance from a Wal-Mart convince shoppers not to go there period. They likely won't listen of course, but it's worth a try if you can find true, raw proof to not go there.

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 4926
Posted on Saturday, March 03, 2007 - 6:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is another Wal-Mart thread running right now. Take your DDOT/SMART business there too. Spread the word about Wal-Mart.

jjaba.

Nyburgher
Username: Nyburgher

Post Number: 59
Posted on Saturday, March 03, 2007 - 7:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am on here again as someone with no knowledge of this particular store since I have never even been in the Detroit area. But here are a few general thoughts about Wal-Mart.

I am not against large scale or low cost retail but they are bad news. Most other chains like Kmart, Staples and even Home Depot have come up with versions of their stores that are adopted to cities. NY has a bunch of multi floor kmarts and there is even a cute Home Depot store in a historic building in the heart of Chelsea. there are mini Staples Express stores all over. Poor people like the convenience and lower prices but they don't destroy the whole urban fabric with huge parking lots.

Wal-Mart stands almost alone in trying to ram a one size fits all cookie cutter model on everyone. They love using government eminent domain to get cheap land and feed on all the goodies the the looter government will hand out. They have a business model that could not exist without the massive taxpayer funded road system and then they want to act like they are the free market guys.

Its important to remember that Walmart didn't create the car culture. They just are feeding on it.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 457
Posted on Saturday, March 03, 2007 - 9:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll take you one better... I won't shop in Livonia period.

Urbanize

Post Number: 56
Posted on Saturday, March 03, 2007 - 9:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I'll take you one better... I won't shop in Livonia period."

THERE YA GO!

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 1041
Posted on Sunday, March 04, 2007 - 11:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

MIss Cleo, there is a Walmart Supercenter in Petoskey. Obviously folks up there are not boycotting the dump.

Misssocks
Username: Misssocks

Post Number: 18
Posted on Sunday, March 04, 2007 - 2:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm lost. Trainman, does this "The reason was for land to build their store. SMART and DDOT owned about 3 acres of land. " mean SMART and DDOT sold land with a critical bus stop on to Wal-Mart? Is that what you are saying?

Thejesus

Post Number: 700
Posted on Sunday, March 04, 2007 - 3:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I'll take you one better... I won't shop in Livonia period."

Again with the "us v. them" mentality

Rocket_city
Username: Rocket_city

Post Number: 173
Posted on Sunday, March 04, 2007 - 3:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Funny how WalMart didn't build in the city, yet that is the market they are targeting by putting the store in Livonia yet at the same time they remove an essential element of that market being able to accessing the store.

Why doesn't the company claim it is racist and classist FIRST and THEN do its business backwards, rather than not saying anything at all and then letting the public find out from behind-their-back, shady deals? WalMart will have its day too.

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 4929
Posted on Sunday, March 04, 2007 - 4:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Imagine the rv camping culture overnighting on Livonia Wal-Mart parking lot.

Imagine the dudes with their hip-hop boom boxes. Just what Livonia needs.

jabba.

Gtat44
Username: Gtat44

Post Number: 49
Posted on Sunday, March 04, 2007 - 5:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gistok,

Boy you aren't kidding. I did a little research on the trainman. DDOT and SMART all over. What's up with that?

Mike
Username: Mike

Post Number: 867
Posted on Sunday, March 04, 2007 - 6:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

every wal-mart needs to be boycotted

Kathinozarks
Username: Kathinozarks

Post Number: 245
Posted on Sunday, March 04, 2007 - 7:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gistok, Gtat44;

I think it's great when someone is passionate about one particular cause. May not be yours or mine, but it is passion and that is cool.

And I for one do not need Trainman to convince me that Walmart sucks. Walmart sucks.

Missn,
I'm in a dry county too. Lots of beer and booze in everyone's refrigerators, though!

Thejesus

Post Number: 701
Posted on Sunday, March 04, 2007 - 7:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For people who hate Livonia so much, you all sure get pissed off when something makes it difficult for you to come/shop here...

Nyburgher

Post Number: 60
Posted on Sunday, March 04, 2007 - 8:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From what I can tell from a distance -- the situation is totally us vs them in terms of it's relationship with it's suburbs. This is a war that the suburbs have been waging on Americas cities for years. Smart cities like NYC, know it and they have learned how to fight back.

How about we play it like a real war. You remove a bus stop in the suburbs and Detroit removes a parking garage in the city. Face the facts that these garages are an amenity for people who live out of town first. These people are glad to drive in to pick up a paycheck but they don't want to pay taxes into the city.

NY makes life a real pain in the ass for people who drive in from the suburbs while making itself convenient for it's taxpaying residents and that's the way it should be

Nyburgher

Post Number: 61
Posted on Sunday, March 04, 2007 - 8:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For the record. I am very interested in visiting the potentially great city of Detroit but Livonia sound like crap.

Mikeg
Username: Mikeg

Post Number: 649
Posted on Sunday, March 04, 2007 - 9:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nyburgher,

Maybe you ought to visit this "potentially great city" before you weigh-in with your tactics for waging a city-suburb war.

Except for employees of the City of New York, nonresidents who work in NYC do not have to pay the NYC income tax. Non-residents who work in Detroit must pay a 1.25% rate.

Nyburgher

Post Number: 62
Posted on Sunday, March 04, 2007 - 9:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's a start. Perhaps Detroit should raise that a bit more?

Nyburgher

Post Number: 63
Posted on Sunday, March 04, 2007 - 9:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A simple rule that city employees have to live in the city or some kind of mega tax on them would be another move to make. I got the impression from previous threads that most Detroit Cops don't even live there. That's about as low as you can go.

Nyburgher

Post Number: 64
Posted on Sunday, March 04, 2007 - 10:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If they cared about the city and it's future. The Detroit Tigers and the cultural institutions in town would offer nice discounts to residents of the city.

By the way, Did the surrounding counties chip in for those regional amenities or did they stick the city's taxpayers with the bill? I think it's safe to assume that the teams didn't pay the full cost since they never do.

(Message edited by nyburgher on March 04, 2007)

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 351
Posted on Sunday, March 04, 2007 - 10:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How about we play it like a real war. You remove a bus stop in the suburbs and Detroit removes a parking garage in the city. Face the facts that these garages are an amenity for people who live out of town first. These people are glad to drive in to pick up a paycheck but they don't want to pay taxes into the city.

NY makes life a real pain in the ass for people who drive in from the suburbs while making itself convenient for it's taxpaying residents and that's the way it should be

And what? Have more businesses pull out of the city, leaving behind more abandoned property and less tax revenue?

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 858
Posted on Sunday, March 04, 2007 - 11:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Heh, your tactics with the Tigers might have worked awhile ago. But they'll sell most every seat to most every game this year, unless they start sucking.

Do the Yankees give away discounted tickets to NYC residents? Didn't think so.

Now cultural institutions, that's not a bad idea (if they don't do this already). I know the Field Museum in Chicago has lower rates for city residents, since it is property-tax supported.

Nyburgher

Post Number: 67
Posted on Sunday, March 04, 2007 - 11:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There was a fork in the road for New York in the 1970's and it took the right turn. The middle class was leaving the city. The highways had cut across the Bronx and you saw it burning during the world series. The big talk in planning circles was about how the city had to put in more highways and parking so all the people who left could for car oriented suburbs could get in to the city. Robert Moses, the gunman genius who helped cause this situation even proposed to blow a hole through the Middle of Manhattan for a huge expressway.Most people said that the push for the suburbs coudn't be stopped and the best that could happen was to keep some jobs.

Anyway, The city still had enough people with some common sense who put a stop to it. Detroit better look at what the hell it's doing and wake up and start making the city work for people who live in it first.

(Message edited by nyburgher on March 04, 2007)

Nyburgher

Post Number: 68
Posted on Sunday, March 04, 2007 - 11:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't think discounts like that are common but I think they are a good idea. In most places there is a lot of city tax dollars put in but the people are to dumb to demand something in return. How many city tax dollars went in to the stadiums? I would guess that it's a lot so asking for a discount for city taxpayers is just fair. When teams start paying the full cost of this stuff they can get offended. Does Detroit know that it's wearing a kick me sign on it's back?

Nyburgher

Post Number: 69
Posted on Monday, March 05, 2007 - 12:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This seems like it's got to be a great book. I am from NY and I remember that time well.
the title comes from the words of Howard Cosell.
http://www.curledup.com/bronxb ur.htm

"In the long and illustrious history of New York City, 1977 was very likely its nadir. A twenty-five-hour power outage crippled the city and led to widespread looting and arson. The battle for the Democratic Party nominee for city mayor brought to center stage the political gadfly Bella Abzug, in addition to Ed Koch, Mario Cuomo and the incumbent, Abe Beame. A serial murderer, Son of Sam, terrorized the city for more than a year. And then there were the Yankees."

Mikeg
Username: Mikeg

Post Number: 650
Posted on Monday, March 05, 2007 - 12:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Give it a rest, Nyburgher.

I think the only lessons we can learn from NYC is how they turned around Times Square, cleaned up their transit system and eliminated petty crime. I believe it was through the use of statistical data and the application of police resources accordingly. The "fork in the road" had nothing to do with the suburbs vs. the city.

Citylover
Username: Citylover

Post Number: 2188
Posted on Monday, March 05, 2007 - 12:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Isn't that what this is all about nyburgher? You're pissed that the Tigers were in the series and not the Yankees? It sill burns yer ass that the hundred thousand dollar Zumiya struck out A-Rod ,Jeter, and some guy the name of which I forget and their one hundred million dollar or damn close to it money.

You coulda just said it........you must be finger sore from all this writing.

Nyburgher

Post Number: 71
Posted on Monday, March 05, 2007 - 12:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Something makes me think that most of the people here don't live in Detroit.

I did a post on my blog about the history of the West side highway that relates to this. http://diggingpitt.blogspot.co m/2007/03/some-thoughts-about- manhattans-west.html

My dad was a Brooklyn Dodger fan but I like college basketball.

Iheartthed

Post Number: 458
Posted on Monday, March 05, 2007 - 10:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

'Again with the "us v. them" mentality'

Whatever. If Livonia wants to be with "us" then they can reinstate their bus service. They pulled out of SMART and effectively isolated my grandmother from many of the places where she has been shopping for decades. She lives on the Middlebelt Rd. corridor but not within Livonia. Nobody forced Livonia to isolate themselves, they chose to do it themselves. So let Livonia support their own businesses.

Iheartthed

Post Number: 459
Posted on Monday, March 05, 2007 - 10:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Something makes me think that most of the people here don't live in Detroit. "

Haha, is it that evident? I hear what you're saying though (I live in NYC, btw).

Iheartthed

Post Number: 460
Posted on Monday, March 05, 2007 - 10:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As to what you're saying about "the fork in the road", I think that the current situation facing southeast Michigan might be Detroit's fork in the road. It's really sink or swim for that region and state right now even if most don't yet realize it. How they approach reviving the city of Detroit will determine the rebound of the entire area over the coming decades.

3rdworldcity
Username: 3rdworldcity

Post Number: 484
Posted on Monday, March 05, 2007 - 11:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nyburgher: It's clear from your comments (and by your own admission) that you're not from here and have never been here. Where are you from? My guess: Mars.

Where did you pick your wacky views and ideas?

Nyburgher

Post Number: 81
Posted on Tuesday, March 06, 2007 - 8:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I lived pretty much all my life in Queens, a little in Brooklyn and now I live in Pittsburgh.

If you don't think my ideas apply then ignore them. The thing is that NY was once a very messed up place and it did experience a lot of the flight to the suburbs that Detroit has. It was never that extreme, but i think that looking at how it survived and came back is important.

I think that a lot of my view would be those of a typical New Yorker. There is a deep divide. Most people look down on the suburbs and New Jersey and the city doesn't bend over backwards for those people by providing tons of parking or highways.

Manhattan is very convenient for people who live in Manhattan and to those who use mass transit. The rest of the people can get bent.

Trainman

Post Number: 353
Posted on Saturday, March 10, 2007 - 5:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Whatever. If Livonia wants to be with "us" then they can reinstate their bus service. They pulled out of SMART and effectively isolated my grandmother from many of the places where she has been shopping for decades. She lives on the Middlebelt Rd. corridor but not within Livonia. Nobody forced Livonia to isolate themselves, they chose to do it themselves. So let Livonia support their own businesses

End of Quote

Forty five percent of us voted to keep SMART including me. SMART officials signed an illegal merger with Detroit with NO state funding. Top officials at SMART refused to coordinate bus routes with DDOT on Plymouth Road.
In addition, SMART no longer receives any revenue sharing form the state to serve low income areas or meet basic ADA requirements.

Next August 2010, we can demand that SMART officials shape up or ship out. But, why wait? If they don't come back to Livonia by supporting my petition drive, then why don't all you DY'ers support me and get all of southeast Michigan to also support me?

I'm the one who got SMART to come to Livonia in 2003 and led the business support. I take actions that work. So, who do you all want to support?

Trainman?

Or, lame transit and government officials who just talk and talk and talk?

http://savethefueltax.tripod.c om/remain3.html

Urbanize

Post Number: 116
Posted on Saturday, March 10, 2007 - 5:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's a tough decision there Trainman who to choose.

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 1060
Posted on Saturday, March 10, 2007 - 8:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

United Cerabal Palsy of Michigan Disagrees with Trainman, why not debate them?
http://www.michigan.gov/docume nts/Wisselink_85245_7.pdf

Looks like the 2008 application for MDOT transit assistance which asks for ADA certifications and offers capital and operating funds is a lie!
http://www.michigan.gov/docume nts/mdot/PTD-Instructions-for- ptp_176964_7.pdf

In 2007 MDOT provided over $200 million in state generated gas taxes to transit agencies for programs. I'd be very surprised that SMART, being one of the state's largest transit providers got none of these dollars.
http://www.michigan.gov/docume nts/MDOT-PTD-ctfbusprograms_78 373_7.pdf

Trainman

Post Number: 358
Posted on Tuesday, March 13, 2007 - 10:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Since 1995, MDOT has slashed $32 Million per year from SMART according to the FTA and the Citizens Research Council of Michigan. SEMCOG statistics shows that by increasing the fuel tax by just 3 cents per gallion that all transit money would be fully restored. The United Cerabal Palsy of Michigan does not disagree with me. The fact is that I'm not opposed to local transit taxes but instead the neglect and abuse of shifting taxes onto those who can least afford to pay without any cause but self-gain of supporting special interests groups and greed. I'm opposed to corporate welfare which is exactly what the Livonia Wal-Mart IS because of a zoning change by city hall which did not require top officials to re-build the bus shelter. There is no chance any organization such as the United Cerabal Palsy of Michigan would every support this kind of public abuse.

It is a fact that SMART was disqualified for ADA grants from MDOT because of the Livonia opt out and I have proof of this on a PDF file that can not be disputed. But, I do not want this to continue and do want this to be stopped. I did the most to help SMART in Livonia and I want them back but they must learn to listen to the people and provide a service that the taxpayers want and are willing to pay for, in my opinion.

(Message edited by Trainman on March 13, 2007)

(Message edited by Trainman on March 13, 2007)

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.