Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Corktown « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Urbanize
Username: Urbanize

Post Number: 40
Posted on Friday, March 02, 2007 - 10:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What's up with the land value in this neighborhood? s it steady? Is it rasing, falling? I would think that it's slowly rising like all the neighborhoods in the Downtown area. However, hows the desirability factor over here? Do people want to develop in this area?

(Message edited by Urbanize on March 02, 2007)

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 607
Posted on Friday, March 02, 2007 - 11:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Much more desireable east (south) of I-75

Urbanoutdoors
Username: Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 128
Posted on Friday, March 02, 2007 - 11:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am about tou buy a house and fix it up my self I am just trying to justify all the costs and having a few inspections to see if the house is worth it.

Charlottepaul

Post Number: 631
Posted on Sunday, March 04, 2007 - 4:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't think that too many neighborhoods in Detroit are falling, as they didn't/don't have much lower to go. If you were in a neighborhood with falling real estate values it would prob. be very readily apparent.

I would venture a guess that half of the people on this forum would choose Corktown to develop in/invest in, but just for whatever reason can't at this time. It is a rather desireable area.

Al_t_publican
Username: Al_t_publican

Post Number: 176
Posted on Sunday, March 04, 2007 - 4:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I lived in Corktown from 1991-2001 and Lafayette Park from 1984-85. If I had to choose I would go with Corktown as it is quieter and has less traffic. Neither, though, are a bargain for shopping amenities. I lived just east of Trumbull in Corktown, but area immediately west of Trumbull is okay. Despite what some may say, Corktown does not extend north of I-75, the area just north of Tiger Stadium.

If you work downtown, as I did, Corktown was a quasi-ideal location. It was also good for making quick dinner or walking visits to Windsor.

Penelopetheduck
Username: Penelopetheduck

Post Number: 6
Posted on Wednesday, March 07, 2007 - 1:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

does the area west (not north) of 1-75 even count as corktown? I always assumed everything west of Central Depot was considered Southwest
I live on Grand Blvd and Lafayette and have been told by two different people now that I live in corktown. Are these people just on drugs or confused or something?

Professorscott
Username: Professorscott

Post Number: 249
Posted on Wednesday, March 07, 2007 - 2:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Corktown is smaller than it once was, and never had any official corporate existence, like every other neighborhood.

If you want a quick read go here:

http://www.corktowndetroit.org /2005/history.html

Billybbrew
Username: Billybbrew

Post Number: 255
Posted on Wednesday, March 07, 2007 - 3:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you lived at W. Grand and Lafayette you lived in either Hubbard-Richard (Downtown Side of W. Grand) or Hubbard Farms (Downriver side of W. Grand). I lived for a few years on the Blvd. between Fort and the River and I was always kind of disappointed that our historic building was not part of the Hubbard Farms Historical District. As far as Corktown is concerned. It is my understanding that North of I-75 WAS Corktown before the freeway split it up. It was also called Briggs Community at one point as well.

Histeric
Username: Histeric

Post Number: 775
Posted on Thursday, March 08, 2007 - 5:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You heard it here, from our own Al T, that despite 170 years of history, what historians and current community leaders say, you should listen to a guy who lived in the neighborhood for ten years, five years ago and now resides out of state. I am sure he is the correct source for your information on the neighborhood. Carry on.

Charlottepaul

Post Number: 635
Posted on Thursday, March 08, 2007 - 6:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Penelopetheduck, I just used the term 'west of I-75' as it is technically a north/south freeway, so I just wanted to cover all my bases in the statement.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.