Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Lafayette Park « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Apbest
Username: Apbest

Post Number: 443
Posted on Friday, March 02, 2007 - 10:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know all about the history and have seen pictures of the building etc, but this is one place I've never really been to considering all the time I spend in Detroit, I just have never had a reason to go there, as Im mostly in midtown. I'd like to hear specifically from anyone who lives there just what the vibe is like, what kind of shopping is there within that neighborhood, is it very vibrant, do you see a cool mix of people walking around on a daily business? just I want to know what life is like for a Lafayette park rat

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 530
Posted on Friday, March 02, 2007 - 11:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Apbest, I moved into the Lafayette Park neighborhood last summer (Lafayette Towers). I absolutely love it here. I know many urbanists on the board do not like the layout or any of that stuff, but that is not really what this thread is about.

The people of the neighborhood are great. I've yet to meet someone that did not have a pleasant word or a genuine smile. It's very diverse in terms of race, age and religion. There are a bunch of people living here, but the way it is designed, it does not feel too crowded. It is very walkable and even scenic in some areas.

The retail options are pretty wide being right close to everything downtown and boarded by Jefferson to the south. My personal favorite location is the Paris Cafe coffee shop next to Chrysler Elementary (a gem in itself). I'm anxious too see the Dequindre Cut park project complete so I can reach the riverfront right from my front door.

Imperfectly
Username: Imperfectly

Post Number: 212
Posted on Saturday, March 03, 2007 - 12:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I live in the Leland Lofts in LP. I can walk to greektown, eastern market and up to jefferson easily. I even walked to the Thanksgiving day parade from my place.
I guess the layout is a bit choppy. There are good places for takeout nearby and many convience options not to far on Jefferson.
Its different from midtown in that there arent bars and restaurants lined up together as you have over there. And I would say its a nice quiet neighborhood just blocks away from anything you wanted ! :-)

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 2676
Posted on Saturday, March 03, 2007 - 4:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wasn't Lafayette Park the place where that 72 yo was murdered with a pipe last week?

Granmontrules
Username: Granmontrules

Post Number: 32
Posted on Saturday, March 03, 2007 - 8:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh nice post Livernoisyard. Let me guess you are one of those negative suburbanites.

Philbert
Username: Philbert

Post Number: 249
Posted on Saturday, March 03, 2007 - 8:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^No, the Debbie Downer of DetroitYes. I am still waiting for a positive post someday. All I ask is just once.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 618
Posted on Saturday, March 03, 2007 - 12:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Livernoisyard did have one positive post. I remember a few weeks ago (I think about 3 weeks ago). Well maybe it wasn't positive, but a few posts later, another person agreed with what he/she said.

My opinion: There is nothing wrong with stating facts that just happen to be negative. There isn't necessarily anything wrong with being negative in any way. This is Detroit after all and it will still be years before Detroiters aren't the most critical people of themselves. The only posts that bother me are those that don't contribute or further the discussion of the given thread. Livernoisyard might be at his/her quota in this regard, LOL.

Rsa
Username: Rsa

Post Number: 1038
Posted on Monday, March 05, 2007 - 12:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i've lived in lafayette park for four years now and really love it. it's almost like a little oasis right outside of downtown. [as my neighbors like to say "we have the biggest backyard in detroit!"] neighbors are diverse, friendly, and supportive. you can walk to almost everything in the city (CoPa, parades, waterfront, eastern market, etc.) but it also has easy access to everything else via car. if you don't want to be in an urban environment, it's always been surprising to me how the park can isolate you so well in nature. it really is an underestimated gem of the city.

Detroitbill
Username: Detroitbill

Post Number: 172
Posted on Friday, March 09, 2007 - 2:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree, lived in Lafayette Park for 12 years, moved to Huntington Woods for three years and moved back to Lafayette last year, Its a great neighborhood, always has been,, diverse , interesting people who care about Detroit,lots of dogs being walked too, there are parks, some shopping,video store, thai, chinese, pizza and even Eastern Market is walkable, It takes only a 5 minute walk to Greektown and 10 to Campus Martius, I walk all over (Riverfront, Cobo, RenCen, BallGames) and never start my car nor pay for parking,, It's a great neighborhood and more reasonably priced than many,,, Also, your on 175 in two minutes and over in Canada in no time traffic permitting..Live in 1300 E Lafayette now, the view is great up on the 24th, very cool neighbors and very safe.

(Message edited by DetroitBill on March 09, 2007)

Cmubryan
Username: Cmubryan

Post Number: 383
Posted on Friday, March 09, 2007 - 11:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My girlfriend absolutely loves the fact that I live in Lafayette Park. When I first met her she was skeptical about me living in the city. After a quick trip to my beautiful 16th floor pad in the sky and a stroll around the neighborhood her feelings changed. We spent many a night roaming around downtown and it's so nice to have a ten minute walk back to the apt.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.