Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Brandon Street « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Irvine_laird
Username: Irvine_laird

Post Number: 3
Posted on Friday, March 02, 2007 - 10:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I recently learned that my grandmother, who I thought was a lifelong Tennessean, was born in Detroit in 1928 and lived for a few years at 5651 Brandon Street. When he came north to find work, her father brought the family from Middle Tennessee to Detroit. Brandon Street is between Livernois (west), Vernor Hwy. (south), Grand Blvd. (east), and Michigan Ave. (north). Does anyone know anything about this neighborhood?

Homer
Username: Homer

Post Number: 94
Posted on Friday, March 02, 2007 - 11:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sure. Brandon is in Southwest Detroit, near Toledo and Junction. Gramps prolly came up to work in the auto industry for $5.00 a day. Was and is a working class neighborhood close to the now closed Cadillac plant and other GM facilities, short bus ride to Ford Rouge.

Southwestmap
Username: Southwestmap

Post Number: 717
Posted on Friday, March 02, 2007 - 11:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Brandon Street in the 1920's - 1930's was a prosperous working/middle class street. The neighborhood was right on a streetcar line (the Baker) that connected the Michigan Central Station on the East and the Cadillac Plant to Ford Motor Co. on the west. South was the Fisher Guide plant. Jobs were plentiful in the factories and on the railroad.

Houses an Brandon were spacious, mostly frame, homes. Some brick homes were flats. Beautiful churches dotted the neighborhood, near-cathedrals filled with german stained glass and, in the case of Holy Redeemer, Pewabic tile. The neighborhood was prosperous enough to build and support these churches.

It was, and still is, a walkable neighborhood. West Vernor was home to a creamery, Better Made potato chips, MacNamara's Bar (where bad language was never allowed; a Cunningham's Drugstore and a branch of Detroit Bank & Trust held down the Vernor Junction corner with Holy Redeemer. Just a trolley ride up Junction, Sanders and Winkelman's held sway on Fort St.

There were professional plays on West Vernor then and a movie theatre, as well.

Homer
Username: Homer

Post Number: 95
Posted on Friday, March 02, 2007 - 11:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

SWD today.
http://www.modeldmedia.com/fea tures/swinvesting.aspx

Brandon48202
Username: Brandon48202

Post Number: 145
Posted on Friday, March 02, 2007 - 1:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's MY street!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.