Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » New White Stripes album on way « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 344
Posted on Thursday, March 01, 2007 - 6:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

White Stripes next album being readied
New Music Express spills details
March 1, 2007

By JOHN SMYNTEK
FREE PRESS STAFF WRITER

The White Stripes, now among Detroit's foremost musical exiles, revealed details of their forthcoming album to the New Music Express magazine website. .

The Detroit duo of Jack and Meg White have titled the record 'Icky Thump', and have just finished mixing and recording it at Nashville, Tennessee's Blackbird Studio, which serves as White's new musical base.

It will be the follow-up to 2005's "Get Behind Me Satan" but no release date has been set.

A posting on the band's website says --- in typical Jack White sarcasm---
"We are doing our best (whatever that is) to release the album as soon as corporately possible. And though we are tired, worn, weary, hungry, cold and left without an ounce of nutrition amongst ourselves, we are in the midst of planning performance type shows around the world."

The tracklisting includes: "Catch Hell Blues," "Little Cream Soda," "Rag And Bone,"
"Clicky Bump," "You Don't Know What Love Is (Just Do As You're Told)" and "I'm Slowly Turning Into You."

All love songs, no doubt.

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 1215
Posted on Thursday, March 01, 2007 - 7:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

thank god!

Jerome81
Username: Jerome81

Post Number: 1318
Posted on Thursday, March 01, 2007 - 7:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm looking forward to it!

Though I wish both still called Detroit home (Meg still lives in town, yes?)

BTW, is White Stripes still the "big" one of Jack's bands? Raconteurs (spelling??) stuff I've dug a song or two, but it doesn't get me into it like the Stripes. I sort get the feeling the new band is known, but not nearly at the same level as WS. True? Not? Other?

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 1387
Posted on Thursday, March 01, 2007 - 7:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Did they add a bass player to get rid of that thin sound yet?

Christos
Username: Christos

Post Number: 70
Posted on Friday, March 02, 2007 - 1:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I love the White Stripes- but I think they lost thier edge since they moved out of Detroit. I think that is a trend.

Bands or musicians from Detroit remain cool as long as they stay in Detroit. Once they leave- well, they take "southern rock...and mix it with the hip hop....."

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 193
Posted on Friday, March 02, 2007 - 1:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Huzzah White Stripes! I can't wait!

And Jerome, if you want the White Stripes to get a bassist, and find their sound thin, they probably aren't for you! Might I suggest the Ranconteurs? ;)

Fury13

Post Number: 1394
Posted on Friday, March 02, 2007 - 5:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It was me with the "thin sound" comment, Johnlodge. I really think that Jack should get right down to the bare-bones essence of what he's trying to do... in other words, ditch Meg altogether and set up by himself with his guitar and a portable amp on a corner in Greektown.

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 11375
Posted on Friday, March 02, 2007 - 5:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hater.

Fury13

Post Number: 1396
Posted on Friday, March 02, 2007 - 5:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hater.

Yeah, I guess I resent someone as musically immature as Jack White being so arrogant as to put himself in the same category with real bluesmen such as Howlin' Wolf, Muddy Waters, or Elmore James. And to have the gall to think he can approximate a blues band with a duo.

I guess playing a funky old Airline or Supro guitar makes it all OK? It just doesn't work for me.

Gambling_man
Username: Gambling_man

Post Number: 973
Posted on Friday, March 02, 2007 - 6:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Can we have a vote here as to who really still cares about the White Stripes?

I vote NO.

Sportsfan
Username: Sportsfan

Post Number: 2
Posted on Friday, March 02, 2007 - 6:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I vote ooh yeah!

Quozl
Username: Quozl

Post Number: 315
Posted on Friday, March 02, 2007 - 6:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

White Stripes are okay, I vote yes.

Vas
Username: Vas

Post Number: 672
Posted on Friday, March 02, 2007 - 6:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yes

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 1219
Posted on Friday, March 02, 2007 - 7:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

one of the best in the biz

Stromberg2
Username: Stromberg2

Post Number: 4
Posted on Friday, March 02, 2007 - 8:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Definite yes!

Stromberg2

Mayor_sekou
Username: Mayor_sekou

Post Number: 565
Posted on Friday, March 02, 2007 - 8:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I vote who the hell are the white stipes?

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 8513
Posted on Friday, March 02, 2007 - 9:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I really think that Jack should get right down to the bare-bones essence of what he's trying to do... in other words, ditch Meg altogether and set up by himself with his guitar and a portable amp on a corner in Greektown.

I sense a turf war brewing between him and W. Kim Heron, then. Kim's got backup...it wouldn't be as clear a fight as Jack's last public tumble.

I only own Get Behind Me Satan, and I like it. If Jack continues his perfectionist recording capture techniques with vintage mics, I'll still like him. He seems to understand harmonic textures and transient attack and all that other good shit that audiophiles love to show their systems off with...a good hifi and you're hearing more like live music rather than standard over-processed recorded bs.

I'd vote half and half. It was yes when he lived here...and will be when he returns. Has his IV house sold yet?!

Detroitrulez
Username: Detroitrulez

Post Number: 180
Posted on Friday, March 02, 2007 - 9:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

White Stripes Rock! yes! Bassists need not apply!

Citylover
Username: Citylover

Post Number: 2187
Posted on Friday, March 02, 2007 - 10:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Damn fine post Gannon...........back to that in a second.

I do understand Fury's sentiments. However the Stripes have grown on me a bit.As for getting a bass player it is not necessary. I am trying very hard to be as open as possible; and pop music without a bass is absolutely legitimate. I only need adjust my ears and mostly my pre-conceived notions to allow myself to "hear" what is being put across. I once heard a fine recording, Jake Hanna, Scott Hamilton and Dave McKenna, drums, tenor sax and piano...no bass... and these guys swung like mad.....so it can be done.

Speaking of preconceived notions I am always happier musically speaking when I am able to shed them. I have been watching you tube a bit lately.One of my favorite clips is a medley of songs from a Carpenters t.v. special from 1980.Karen Carpenter is singing with Ella Fitzgerald. Thankfully I shed my preconceived notion about the Carpenters many many years ago. So I can say without reservation that Karen Carpenter was as good a singer as there ever was.

Back to Gannon.If you recall I mention several years ago that I had participated in a analog recording the result being a genuine vinyl record. I was going to get a copy to you.It has not happened........yet......so I do appreciate your thoughts on what Jack White is doing. Lets face it, it sounds good..........when we shed our prejudices.

Anyhow Gannon, autorama next week-end and Joey Defrancesco too so maybe I'll head down with a record or two...........of course I will stop by and pick sport up for protection!

Sorry for the thread jack but it is all related.

Jenniferl
Username: Jenniferl

Post Number: 356
Posted on Friday, March 02, 2007 - 11:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Count me in as someone who is looking forward to the new White Stripes CD.

Ladyinabag
Username: Ladyinabag

Post Number: 35
Posted on Wednesday, March 07, 2007 - 7:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You know, Jack White made a big mistake by announcing that he was leaving Detroit and dissing it as he left. Now there are a bunch of disgruntled fans with attitudes. Bad political move. Some may never forgive him.

(Message edited by ladyinabag on March 07, 2007)

Jerome81
Username: Jerome81

Post Number: 1329
Posted on Wednesday, March 07, 2007 - 7:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorta like Comerica Bank.

That's the Detroit way. Love you while you're in town, F-YOU on your way out.

Ladyinabag
Username: Ladyinabag

Post Number: 37
Posted on Wednesday, March 07, 2007 - 7:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, you don't have to make a big announcement as you leave....kind of slide out and when you're ready, slide back in (LOL).

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 8492
Posted on Wednesday, March 07, 2007 - 7:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

You know, Jack White made a big mistake by announcing that he was leaving Detroit and dissing it as he left. Now there are a bunch of disgruntled fans with attitudes. Bad political move. Some may never forgive him.

I'm willing to bet that it won't hurt his record sales in the Detroit market. If he is happy I doubt he cares if anyone forgives him.

Thnk2mch
Username: Thnk2mch

Post Number: 787
Posted on Wednesday, March 07, 2007 - 8:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I will buy it.

East_detroit
Username: East_detroit

Post Number: 1006
Posted on Wednesday, March 07, 2007 - 8:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jerome,

And don't forget Sarah Klein.

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 381
Posted on Wednesday, March 07, 2007 - 10:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Meg still lives in town, yes?

I know she was living in Los Angeles, but it might not have been a permanent move. Certainly haven't seen her around town at shows like I used to, even two years ago.

Soulhawk
Username: Soulhawk

Post Number: 287
Posted on Wednesday, March 07, 2007 - 10:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What does Sarah Klein have to do with this?

Carolcb
Username: Carolcb

Post Number: 166
Posted on Thursday, March 08, 2007 - 4:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The house is still for sale on Seminole as far as I can tell - price is down to $650,000 - from $900,000 originally or I could be wrong on the original asking price. Beautiful house and as soon as my ship comes in.......

http://www.1731seminole.com/

Wally
Username: Wally

Post Number: 260
Posted on Friday, March 09, 2007 - 12:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I vote YES

And when did Jack White supposedly "include himself" in that group of bluesmen? If you mean that he has gall to play their type of music or their songs, well, ANYONE can play any music they damn well please. Hardly anybody would even know about the old blues men if it wasn't for British bands playing their music and selling it here in the 60's.

You gotta love that his house on Seminole hasn't sold yet. Even though he left Detroit, he's still supporting the corrupt city by paying property taxes.

(Message edited by wally on March 09, 2007)

Spacemonkey
Username: Spacemonkey

Post Number: 169
Posted on Friday, March 09, 2007 - 12:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

White Stripes are a Gories tribute band.

Dds
Username: Dds

Post Number: 160
Posted on Friday, March 09, 2007 - 1:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Boycott Jack White untill he brings his business back to Detroit. Then he can replace Granholm when she gets recalled.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.