Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » 1952 Detroit in 8mm « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Cavanagh
Username: Cavanagh

Post Number: 27
Posted on Thursday, March 01, 2007 - 10:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A friend of mine found this on Youtube, I apologize if anyone else has posted this already. . .

http://youtube.com/watch?v=hRj 4_qkqgXo

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 343
Posted on Thursday, March 01, 2007 - 4:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The herd in front of Kern's at the end there is particularly impressive.

Cambrian
Username: Cambrian

Post Number: 717
Posted on Thursday, March 01, 2007 - 4:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What a find! Looking at old pictures and seeing what used to be in Detroit, I assumed if I went back in time I would not recognize the place. The film proves that wrong. The layout, the width of the streets, the architecture is familiar.

I've got 8mm home movies from the Early 70s where dad dad some filming while driving.

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 1598
Posted on Thursday, March 01, 2007 - 6:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am proud to say that I was part of that "herd" described by Rhymes. If we didn't find what we wanted at Kerns, then we went to Demerys, Hudsons, T.B. Rayls, Sam's Cut Rate.even the Good Housekeeping Shop. It all depended on what we were looking for!
Yes---those were the days my friends.

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 345
Posted on Thursday, March 01, 2007 - 7:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wish I coulda been alive to see that, Rock.
It is impossible for many of us to imagine would was.

Swiburn
Username: Swiburn

Post Number: 67
Posted on Tuesday, March 06, 2007 - 10:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit was gritty back then-I lived on Field St. in l954- but there was a feeling of optimism in the country's future that we haven't had since Vietnam and John Kennedy's asassination.
Downtown Detroit was overwhelming when I was a kid, the crowds of people on the streets and in Hudson's.

Oldestuff
Username: Oldestuff

Post Number: 6
Posted on Tuesday, March 06, 2007 - 12:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

swiburn: I bought a nice piece of stained glass from Village Antiques in Dearborn and the piece of info on the glass said it came from a house on Field St. Where exactly was Field St?

Dnvn522
Username: Dnvn522

Post Number: 195
Posted on Tuesday, March 06, 2007 - 3:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Stupid me...when will I learn.

I watched those videos, then did a Google search for more info on the "Brass Rail Bar". I finally found a reference to it at Urbanplanet which had a link back to this website. I should learn that I really need to search here first...

Homer
Username: Homer

Post Number: 101
Posted on Tuesday, March 06, 2007 - 4:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That flick was shot the year I finished HS in SW Detroit. Taking the Lafayette Green Downtown was something we did all the time. Those crowds were alive and real. There were not many Black faces in that video. Do you think it was deliberate? I don't remember the city being that white back then.

Swiburn
Username: Swiburn

Post Number: 68
Posted on Tuesday, March 06, 2007 - 4:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oldestuff: Field St. is about a block east of Grand Blvd and is roughly between Jefferson Ave and it runs north of Vernor Hwy. One of the founders of the architectural giants Smith, Hinchman and Grylls once lived there. It's seen much better days. Many houses and duplexes have been torn down on it-dating to the riots of l967.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 5601
Posted on Tuesday, March 06, 2007 - 5:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That film was so beautiful. It brings tears to my eyes. I wish I could live in that era. Where a mom and pop store is just footsteps away.

Today your favorite mom and pop stores are long gone. All we have left is our memories and 8 mm kodachrome film.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.