Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » CompUSA Closing ALL Stores Except Lansing in Michigan « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Psip
Username: Psip

Post Number: 1470
Posted on Wednesday, February 28, 2007 - 10:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just reported on Fox2. CompUSA is closing 7 stores in Michigan.
http://blogs.pcworld.com/techl og/archives/003809.html
The stores are expected to be shuttered in 3 months.
Lets hope Micro Center takes over a few of the locations.

Corrected number of stores closing

(Message edited by PSIP on March 01, 2007)

Urbanize
Username: Urbanize

Post Number: 9
Posted on Wednesday, February 28, 2007 - 10:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

IT's a bit off-topic, but does anyone know whether or not they closed the Circuit City in Harper Woods. We were driving down Kelly the other day and they were stripping down the letters. I will cry if they did because the 7 Mile and Gratiot area just lost a Walgreens and NE Detroiters are fragile at the time.

Leoqueen
Username: Leoqueen

Post Number: 1493
Posted on Wednesday, February 28, 2007 - 10:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am upset about this. I took my PowerMac G4 to the CompUSA in Dearborn for repair last spring; they fixed it in good time at a reasonable price. If I had to wait for the Mac Geniuses in Somerset to get around to my Mac, I would still be standing in line.

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 2658
Posted on Wednesday, February 28, 2007 - 10:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The computer shop on Telegraph near the 10000 block should be able to fix just about anything. They even have a bench area near the back where you can take your own unit apart and diagnose it or swap parts for it.

And they have all kinds of new and used stuff from closeouts or what-not cheap. They were selling a set of six precision screwdrivers for 29 cents the last time I visited the place.

Urbanize

Post Number: 12
Posted on Wednesday, February 28, 2007 - 10:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just went to the site and check it out *mopes silently*. Ty though for whoever would come along this year and help.

Cmubryan
Username: Cmubryan

Post Number: 380
Posted on Wednesday, February 28, 2007 - 11:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The CompUSA in "Dearborn" is actually in Detroit. Yes on the border of Dearborn but nonetheless still Detroit. It's a shame that the city loses another chain store.

Psip

Post Number: 1473
Posted on Wednesday, February 28, 2007 - 11:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

State wide, its another 400 to 500 or more people who are losing their jobs.

Sstashmoo
Username: Sstashmoo

Post Number: 28
Posted on Wednesday, February 28, 2007 - 11:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

With companies like Dell selling complete systems including a 17 LCD monitor and OS for 299 everyday, I don't know how any of these stick and mud PC retailers stay in business. They've had that deal or one similar to it running for the last 4 years. And Fry's sells an Athlon for 159 with no OS.

I don't think this is a Michigan problem as retailers nationwide are being pressured by internet sales.

:Just read the article:

It's a pity that when one geek has a bit of displeasure with a retailer or minimum wage person that works for the retailer, can go to his magazine and inflict so much harm.. In his words "Best buy is next" "Should be called worst buy"

Nothing wrong with being objective, but thats just unfair..

Perfectgentleman
Username: Perfectgentleman

Post Number: 169
Posted on Wednesday, February 28, 2007 - 11:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hate to see the job loss but CompUSA is not a good store. The customer service is awful, probably because of the low morale of the staff or they weren't paying enough to get good people. You can also get stuff much cheaper on the internet.

Mike
Username: Mike

Post Number: 863
Posted on Wednesday, February 28, 2007 - 11:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i tend to buy most of my electronics online.

but i do go to the stores to look at them.

i guess i am part of the problem

B24liberator
Username: B24liberator

Post Number: 42
Posted on Thursday, March 01, 2007 - 12:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Damn. I guess the big box stores and the fact Apple is pushing to open more of their own stores was too much... CompUSA- They always gave me space just to browse or whatnot, very much in contrast with Best Buy and Circuit City, where the staff seems to swoop down upon you as soon as you approach a big ticket item. I hate that.

Perfectgentleman

Post Number: 170
Posted on Thursday, March 01, 2007 - 12:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

B24liberator -
I like "space" when shopping too but when something is locked up behind the counter and it takes 1/2 hour to get anyone to get it out that is a little too much space. They gave you space because they didn't care.

Great Username by the way!

Darwinism
Username: Darwinism

Post Number: 616
Posted on Thursday, March 01, 2007 - 12:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As I had mentioned on the Wal-Mart thread, Metro Detroit is not seeing the end of this unemployment crisis yet. The economy here is an absolute debacle. CompUSA joins the recent mass closures of Circuit City stores. We are looking at thousands of people losing their jobs due to this recent announcements. Brace yourselves.

Perfectgentleman

Post Number: 172
Posted on Thursday, March 01, 2007 - 12:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well I guess it's hard to sell shit to unemployed people or others who do not FEEL secure even though they have a job.

I am in the IT business and even my PC's are far from current. I don't have the extra money and I refuse to put stuff on credit cards.

To be honest, I feel that the retail sector has been overcrowded for years and this was bound to happen. My area is blighted with strip malls and drug stores up the ass, I always wondered how they could all keep going given the current local economic conditions.

Rustic
Username: Rustic

Post Number: 3083
Posted on Thursday, March 01, 2007 - 12:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

To see what is killing CompUSA just scroll through this thread Need advice on buying a new PC. The two best pieces of advice on that thread were (I paraphrase): (1) buy the loss leader at CompUSA and (2) go to CompUSA play with the computers there, pick out what you like and then go home and buy it online cheaper. BYE-BYE CompUSA.

In general it is kind of a shame to lose stores like CompUSA. Although it is convenient and probably a bit cheaper to buy stuff online, it is nice to be able to go into a store to check out stuff before buying it. I'm not talking about just the big stuff but little things like flash drives, laptop bags, peripherals too. Perhaps CompUSA would have done better going a bit smaller and maybe even doing something radical like locating inside some complimentary retailer (like Home Depot or Sears/Kmart or Barnes and Noble). Anyway it is likely too late for CompUSA, the rise of Dell for PCs ~10 years ago and the rise of online software resellers 5-10 years ago essentially clearcut CompUSAs retail market. Focusing on service as they attempted to do in response apparently didn't work too well.

That said CompUSA typically paled in comparison to MicroCenter (are there microcenters in MI? I didn't know that) and, of course, Fry's back in Fry's heyday before it overexpanded.

Newlaster
Username: Newlaster

Post Number: 206
Posted on Thursday, March 01, 2007 - 12:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As a techgeek...I just can't wait for the closeout sales!

Anyone know when to expect these?

Psip

Post Number: 1477
Posted on Thursday, March 01, 2007 - 12:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is one Micro Center in Madison Hts. Great store.
Who remembers the Computer Shopper Magazine from the early 90s? it was HUGE like 500 pages. All kinds of companies selling components. Today the magazine is just a small pamphlet.
Those were the days before the internet. I used Prodigy and Compuserve. Computer Shopper had a monthly listing for BBS's those were local servers that you could dial up and get your p0rn. Great times at 2400 baud. Took all night to DL a picture of a gal in a bikini.

Prodigy

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 2659
Posted on Thursday, March 01, 2007 - 1:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I always liked their closeouts on books and hardware items there over the years. But Office Depot next door had better prices on printer paper @$22/carton (10 reams or 5000 sheets).

Computers are commodities today, so the profit margins are getting down closer to grocery store margins. Brick-and-mortars cannot survive in such an environment.

Computer stores have been dying everywhere. Some have been out of business for years, and some even have their old fading signs up in some locations where no other merchants have dared to enter.

I checked out their reburbished-gear auction site three days ago and noticed that their inventory was pretty slim.

Professorscott
Username: Professorscott

Post Number: 235
Posted on Thursday, March 01, 2007 - 1:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ahh, Prodigy and CompuServe. The good old days. CompuServe users had the most bizarrely unfriendly e-mail addresses, back when e-mail was (to the general public) a brand new thing. You would have something like 28105.3369@compuserve.com.

AOL was not even an Internet service; they provided their own content and were very late in connecting their users to the Internet. Then as now, their specialty was in providing service to people who had no business whatsoever using a computer.

Some of my peeps were involved with the Detroit FreeNet in the bad old days. Anyone remember those kinds of efforts? Ah, memories.

Broken_main
Username: Broken_main

Post Number: 1191
Posted on Thursday, March 01, 2007 - 1:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sooo, I wonder what will happen to my warranties on my Computer and my digital camera

Professorscott
Username: Professorscott

Post Number: 238
Posted on Thursday, March 01, 2007 - 1:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Depends on whether they are manufacturer warranties or store warranties. Of course, Comp USA is not going completely out of business (yet), they are just closing slightly more than half their locations.

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 5168
Posted on Thursday, March 01, 2007 - 1:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I always thought CompUSA was the poor man's BestBuy.

BTW, I'm sure the one here in Lansing is only staying open because it's virtually next door to MSU.

Mike
Username: Mike

Post Number: 865
Posted on Thursday, March 01, 2007 - 2:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the problem is that when i was shopping for speakers the price difference between store and online was huge. i would have paid slightly more to get them at the convience at best buy, but i would not have paid close to double.

at the time, the tower pair would have costed five hundred at best buy, but amazon had them for three hundred...

it was a no brianer... btw, thanks best buy for letting me try them out.

Darwinism
Username: Darwinism

Post Number: 617
Posted on Thursday, March 01, 2007 - 3:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, the Internet may well be doing them in. But then, these companies are not just brick-and-mortar storefront companies. Circuit City sells through their website too, CompUSA sells through their website too, BestBuy, Staples and pretty much every major retailer sells online as well.

I know I tend to buy my gears from BestBuy.com more than the physical BestBuy, from CircuitCity.com more than the physical Circuit City and from CompUSA.com more than the physical CompUSA. Therefore, I am not exactly taking my business elsewhere at all.

Cabasse
Username: Cabasse

Post Number: 33
Posted on Thursday, March 01, 2007 - 4:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

used to work at the detroit/dearborn store, in fact my first job after moving from atlanta about two years ago. stupid, stupid managers, and even more stupid ceo's. they refused to try and compete with the online retailers, or even better chains like microcenter/fry's. i won't miss 'em.

(my name was tim btw, if you ever came in and bought shit from me)

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 449
Posted on Thursday, March 01, 2007 - 7:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Did Best Buy push them out? I always prefered CompUSA to Best Buy but the Ann Arbor CompUSA had the worst customer service on the face of the planet. I would drive from Ann Arbor to Novi just to avoid going to that one and I'd frequently hear other people in line talking about how they got screwed at the Ann Arbor CompUSA.

Homer
Username: Homer

Post Number: 91
Posted on Thursday, March 01, 2007 - 8:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh yes, Detroit Freenet, 2400B, up all night following links to various university libraries. Seemed they were the only sites out there.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 5590
Posted on Thursday, March 01, 2007 - 8:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

CompUSA has lost out the corporate competitve market due to Best Buy and Circuit City. Lots of folks rather go there and than shopping at CompuUSA. OH Well! Who else is going to lose? Best Buy or Circuit city.

Mcp001
Username: Mcp001

Post Number: 2446
Posted on Thursday, March 01, 2007 - 8:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Based upon my experiences with the low-grade morons whom they've hired to staff their stores, I'll put my money on Best Buy to go under first.

Quinn
Username: Quinn

Post Number: 1163
Posted on Thursday, March 01, 2007 - 9:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've had two horrible experiences with the MicroCenter location...and nothing but good things to say about compusa. They closed the store at telegrph and sq lk (near where I work) last fall and that saddened me. Great service.

That Microcenter store in Madison Heights can't keep up with the customers it has...it would only be a nightmare if they took on additional stores. I don't think they could run a hampster wheel very well...

Swingline
Username: Swingline

Post Number: 726
Posted on Thursday, March 01, 2007 - 11:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is Urbanized's post above in this thread correct? Did the Circuit City in Harper Woods close? It is the closest big box electronics retailer for most everybody living east of Van Dyke and south of Eight Mile. That's at least 250,000 people, maybe twice that. Where the hell do Grosse Pointers spend their money?

Reetz12
Username: Reetz12

Post Number: 144
Posted on Thursday, March 01, 2007 - 11:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

At the circuit city on 13 mile and little mack....better customer service!

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 451
Posted on Thursday, March 01, 2007 - 11:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

BB had a great marketing strategy that CC has been trying to catch up with for years. If either is gonna go under it will likely be CC.

Urbanize

Post Number: 13
Posted on Thursday, March 01, 2007 - 12:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, the location was no longer listed on the Circuit City website. We also lost a Walgreens unfortunately the day after. Most Eastsiders shopped at the Eastland Circuit City, even a few Eastpointers, SCS's and HP folks shop there too when they wanted somewhere close. Also, GP's have the internet and the independent shops along Mack and Kercheaval to use also for Electronics.

Urbanize

Post Number: 14
Posted on Thursday, March 01, 2007 - 12:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.circuitcity.com/ccd /processAddress.do#allStores

Here's the site to prove it under the Zip Code near the 8 Mile Gratiot area. Notice, the first nearest location is the one a 13 Mile and Little Mack and not the one in Harper Woods.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 178
Posted on Thursday, March 01, 2007 - 12:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This sucks because I don't always want to wait to get computer components. Sometimes I just want to run up to the store, knowing I'll be able to pick up what I want and have it right away. Best Buy and Circuit City aren't really competitors because they don't have the selection of components. Best Buy will have like ONE kind of graphic card for sale, when the fact is there are tons of different kinds of cards out there, and the chances you computer can even use the one they have for sale is slim. And this is the same for many other components. I just can't believe there isn't a market for computer component sales.

True, CompUSA does have crappy customer services. It's really not the place to go if you don't already know what you want before going in, or don't know much about computers. But if you know exactly what you want, its nice to be able to just drive out and get it instead of buying it online and waiting days or a week and paying shipping, and of course god FORBID you need to return something you bought online, if my own experiences say anything, you won't see your refund for weeks.

Courtney
Username: Courtney

Post Number: 120
Posted on Thursday, March 01, 2007 - 1:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm just shocked that CompUSA hasn't closed before now.

The handful of times I had the "idiot moment" and thought they may actually have what I needed the stores (in a handful of states, including the location that used to be on John R in Troy) were nearly empty at peak times, the employees had no clue what was going on not to mention an overpriced, sub par selection of junk.

I miss the days of local bbs' and then later on, Prodigy. (I still remember my login, scary!) At least bbs' are starting to make a comeback. You don't dial into them, but I can still get my inner geek grrl fix of Usurper and L.O.R.D. and BRE.

We usually buy any computer stuff online (in part because we're usually not looking for parts that would be profitable for ANY brick and mortar business to keep on hand) but the two times I've been in MicroCenter have been annoying. I wonder if they are STILL trying to get people to give their whole life story for their receipt? While both times I refused, the last time buying a $5 pack of blank cds the moron at the register acted like I was causing him the MOST trouble in his WHOLE life.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 182
Posted on Thursday, March 01, 2007 - 1:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Holy crap Courtney. You're speaking my language. I used to run a BBS back in the day. On an 8088XT with a 1200 baud modem. It was called "M.M.M.M." But I remember a lot of the other big ones in the area: The Jungle, Snowbird, The Codex, The Z00, The Razor's Edge, Woody's Nest... Ah yes, those were the days. Back then I was a genius. Now I'm just your average dumbell.

Courtney

Post Number: 121
Posted on Thursday, March 01, 2007 - 1:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yay! It's so rare to find someone who knows what a bbs was. I found a copy of Qmodem while sorting through some old stuff last week and had to load it just to get all nostalgic. Even in "pre boomtown" Greenville, SC, there were around 10 big bbs' and a good 20-30 smaller ones. I can't imagine how big the scene was here.

I've often wondered what happened to my brain in between those days and now. To go from knowing so much to so little yet without distancing myself from a computer is slightly alarming. Maybe the sound waves in 300-2400bps connections fried some important part? :-)

Fastcarsfreedom
Username: Fastcarsfreedom

Post Number: 136
Posted on Thursday, March 01, 2007 - 1:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This CompUSA story is definitely not about Michigan, or even the economy for that matter. This was a business which did not adapt, and whose "day" simply came and went. Recall Computer City? Recall Good Guys in the Western U.S.? All were failing and all fell into mergers with CompUSA. Frankly I'd be surprised if what's left of this company survives for long. In some ways reminds me of the Hechinger/HQ/Builder Square situation--failing business trying to acquire and merge there way to prosperity--it rarely works...Silo, Fretter, Highland... The unfortunate part is that CompUSA's retail space will dump a bunch more big-box space onto the local real estate market--joining that from Media Play, Kmart, etc--hell there are still empty HQ's and Sports Authority stores around, among others.

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 1626
Posted on Thursday, March 01, 2007 - 4:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ah, true confessions of aging geeks.

I too used a BBS or two via a TRS-80. The best one in this area pre-1980 gave free access to a Dow Jones news service. At that time it was unimaginable that any lay individual would get news directly off the wire.

I made an ultrafast pulse-dial demon dialer using the cassette switching relay in the expansion interface. When it detected carrier it honked a horn to alert me. No one could dial faster or more relentlessly. Be the envy of other geeks!

Adventure! Oregon Trail! You had to type "BANG" fast enough or you would be considered shot. That was the state of the art in gaming technology.

Urbanize

Post Number: 15
Posted on Thursday, March 01, 2007 - 5:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thing I don't understand. WE get these mega size box stores built. Next thing you know, when you turn your back and look, there just an eerie, empty space. If ya know you won't be staying, then save everyone else the trouble please.

Jerome81
Username: Jerome81

Post Number: 1317
Posted on Thursday, March 01, 2007 - 5:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

CompUSA blows. So does Micro Center.

Who cares? The economy at work.

Sticks
Username: Sticks

Post Number: 228
Posted on Friday, March 02, 2007 - 12:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Damn, I remember Computer Shopper, where I picked out parts for my first PC from. No matter how digital we get, I'll still love flipping through actual sheets of paper looking at ads.

I've noticed that it's pretty much even when people talk about good or bad experiences with CompUSA. It's like that with any other big-box electronics place. Service will usually vary a little from store to store, region to region. I've gone in there maybe 4x my whole life. One time I couldn't be left alone. Two times no one was around to help. The other, someone asked me if I needed something and when I declined, they left me alone.

The only thing I'll miss about CompUSA is paying a bit more for the convenience of having to buy a part for emergency purposes rather than waiting a fucking week when ordering from NewEgg or TigerDirect.

Ericdetfan
Username: Ericdetfan

Post Number: 10
Posted on Friday, March 02, 2007 - 1:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That sucks. I just bought a Creative 2.1 speaker system from the Detroit store. Noone else had what I wanted, but they did. Noone ever helps me when I go in there, but I know enough about computers to where I don't need any help.

Another empty bix box store in Dearborn, Micro-center prolly wont take that location...its kind of a hole...

I thought CompUSA would leave the location in A2 open for sure..oh well. I bet MC will jump all over that location.

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 4587
Posted on Friday, March 02, 2007 - 3:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Geez... this thread almost makes me fawn for days of Highland Appliance and Ollie Fretter!

It'a amazing how successful a chain can be from the consumers' point of view and then before you know it, they're gone!

Psip

Post Number: 1486
Posted on Friday, March 02, 2007 - 10:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Captain: Wheres Prodsky?
Prodsky: 50 watts per channel, baby cakes.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 190
Posted on Friday, March 02, 2007 - 10:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Ah, true confessions of aging geeks.

I too used a BBS or two via a TRS-80. The best one in this area pre-1980 gave free access to a Dow Jones news service. At that time it was unimaginable that any lay individual would get news directly off the wire. "

Nice Jimaz! I found my old computer on that site too.
http://www.old-computers.com/m useum/computer.asp?st=1&c=508

Color Computer! Its a computer....WITH COLOR!!!!!

Ericdetfan

Post Number: 11
Posted on Friday, March 02, 2007 - 12:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ah, the trash-80...lol..

I personally had a Commodore 64...Fun lil computer with lots of neat programs.

Sstashmoo

Post Number: 29
Posted on Friday, March 02, 2007 - 3:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here ya go, did they miss it er what? Can you imagine trying to operate this or some outfit like Microsoft trying to support it? Grab the steering wheel and navigate the web :-)

Circa 1954 Home Computer mock up..

1950PC

Eastsidedog
Username: Eastsidedog

Post Number: 932
Posted on Friday, March 02, 2007 - 3:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fastcars, I guess that's one plus about Detroit proper. There are/will be almost no empty big box store sites since that era of retail literally passed Detroit by.

Too bad about CompUSA, I've been a loyal customer for years... bought my G4 there and other PCs and games before it. Oh, and yes I do remember bbs' and Computer Shopper. :-(

Jimaz

Post Number: 1629
Posted on Friday, March 02, 2007 - 4:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Snopes says that RAND photo is actually "A full-scale display of a typical nuclear-powered submarine's maneuvering room in which the ship's engineers control the power plant and electrical and steam systems."

Sstashmoo

Post Number: 30
Posted on Friday, March 02, 2007 - 5:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow I'm going to have to invest in a research department :-)

Wait a minute, how do we know snopes didn't colorize RANDS photo? LOL

It's amazing the things floating around the web, it's hard to know what to believe...

Something about that picture has never looked right and I just noticed what it is, the linen overlay to diffuse the edges. And now looking more closely the qwerty keyboard is huge in relation and it was also inset crooked..

Jimaz

Post Number: 1631
Posted on Friday, March 02, 2007 - 6:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought it was funny. Either way it's pretty impressive.

Courtney

Post Number: 123
Posted on Friday, March 02, 2007 - 9:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Has anything ever gone into the spot on Michigan Ave in Dearborn that Inca Computers occupied?

It seemed like a prime location, even if they had to undo all that awful faux finish stuff. I still marvel at how a storefront that large with such a specialty market would have ever been given the green light by their accountant/financial planner. Brilliant business decisions 101.

Ericdetfan

Post Number: 13
Posted on Saturday, March 03, 2007 - 12:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

no...that whole area is not good for retail anymore..it has become more of a bar/ and eating neighboorhood.

(Message edited by ericdetfan on March 03, 2007)

Udmphikapbob
Username: Udmphikapbob

Post Number: 279
Posted on Saturday, March 03, 2007 - 3:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

so has anyone been to the stores? are they marking stuff down yet? i need a wireless router...

Ro_resident
Username: Ro_resident

Post Number: 210
Posted on Saturday, March 03, 2007 - 3:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I stopped at the Troy store this (Saturday)afternoon.

Most of the 'good stuff' was marked down 10% off MSRP. Other stuff was up to 30% off.

One tv tuner card was higher priced today (with 10% off) compared to their in-store special on Wednesday. The old ad was still up.

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 2683
Posted on Saturday, March 03, 2007 - 4:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's very common for prices to suddenly get raised some 40-50% before such sales to (1) snare the unwary and (2) as a basis for reductions. I've seen this scam many times over the years with going-out-of-business "sales."

You should be able to do better online, I'll bet.

Sticks
Username: Sticks

Post Number: 229
Posted on Saturday, March 03, 2007 - 4:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

no...that whole area is not good for retail anymore..it has become more of a bar/ and eating neighboorhood.

Nothing's gone into that store front for years yet they still have the Inca signage up on Michigan Avenue.

As far as Westborn is concerned, you're right, the downtown part is a nice solid strip of bars and eateries. However, before coming into downtown from the west, you do have room for big-box stores. On the south side of Michigan Ave you have Kroger, Marshalls, Staples, Michaels, Aco, and some other places in the strip mall. On the north side you have Blockbuster, Farmer Jack, a Sprint Store, and again, other places in a strip mall.

While I don't know anyone who works at these places, know how they're doing, or actually go in there, I think that area is prime for big-box retail being close to a secondary road (US-24), being on a secondary road itself (US-12), and having existing big-box nearby.

If you want to talk about places not good for big-box, we can talk about the Dix and Eureka intersection.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.