Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Detroit Water Department « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Drbob7133
Username: Drbob7133

Post Number: 4
Posted on Wednesday, February 28, 2007 - 7:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My office manager had pipe burst in her basement last friday the 23rd. after many phones calls the problem has not been taken care of. the people she has dealt with have been rude. is this how the city treats its taxpayers?

Mikeg
Username: Mikeg

Post Number: 637
Posted on Wednesday, February 28, 2007 - 7:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pipes outside a building = DWSD's problem

Pipes inside a basement = your problem

Psip
Username: Psip

Post Number: 1465
Posted on Wednesday, February 28, 2007 - 7:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think the line of demarcation is the water meter.

(Message edited by PSIP on February 28, 2007)

Mikeg

Post Number: 638
Posted on Wednesday, February 28, 2007 - 7:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

True, PSIP, the short section of pipe on the street side of the water meter is the DWSD's. However, it's close proximity to the ground would make it the very last part of the plumbing system to freeze and burst.

Tigers2005
Username: Tigers2005

Post Number: 105
Posted on Wednesday, February 28, 2007 - 9:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Typically the city is only responsible to the property line, which is usually where the shutoff valve is.

Psip
Username: Psip

Post Number: 1468
Posted on Wednesday, February 28, 2007 - 9:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thats a good point Tigers2005.
We need BrokenMain for a ruling on this.
I am sure Gas lines end at the meter but again I could be wrong.

Username: 48202

Post Number: 25
Posted on Wednesday, February 28, 2007 - 10:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The week before last, on one of the sub-freezing days, my neighbor's water meter broke. Water was spraying out through it. Amazingly, she contacted the water department, and they fixed it the same day, within a few hours.

Gildas
Username: Gildas

Post Number: 935
Posted on Wednesday, February 28, 2007 - 10:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Regardless, that is how the city treats its taxpayers.

As the population continues to dwindle.

Drbob7133
Username: Drbob7133

Post Number: 6
Posted on Wednesday, February 28, 2007 - 10:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i understand that its the owners responsibility if the fracture is within the house but they would like the water shut off outside so that the repairs can be made.

Granmontrules
Username: Granmontrules

Post Number: 25
Posted on Wednesday, February 28, 2007 - 10:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gildas- If the city isn't responsible for fixing it why should they? IF the problem is in the basement CALL A PLUMBER not the city.

Mikeg

Post Number: 640
Posted on Wednesday, February 28, 2007 - 11:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

...but they would like the water shut off outside so that the repairs can be made.

There are shut-off valves on either side of the meter. If both of those are broken (stuck in the open position), then the outside street valve must be used to shut off the water. Plumbers also carry a street valve key for whenever they have to replace broken meter valves (which are the owner's responsibility to replace).

B24liberator
Username: B24liberator

Post Number: 40
Posted on Wednesday, February 28, 2007 - 11:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A check of the Detroit water and sewer web site (if it's a truly helpful site, that is ) should spell out where the city's responsibility ends and the property owner's begins... I gotta go with Tigers2005 on this, I don't live in Detroit now, but it's been my experience that most cities only are concerned with the street side of the outside shutoff-- All piping and valves past that are the individuals responsibility, except perhaps, the actual metering device itself-- But a pipe in the basement? Sounds like $75 an hour to me...

B24liberator
Username: B24liberator

Post Number: 41
Posted on Wednesday, February 28, 2007 - 11:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This reminds me of my own recent troubles-- From the sewer side of the 'fence.' My sewer line collapsed (pray that you don't have 'Orangeburg' soil pipe, or you'll be in my boat, soon enough) just this past November, thankfully two (whew!) feet short of the property line-- Which made it my local water utilities concern. If this had been on my side of the 'fence' the cost would have been several thousand to dig up and replace all that crappy bituminous piping with some 4 inch PVC.. Again, I say WHEW!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.