Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Lessenberry vs. Moroun « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Realitycheck
Username: Realitycheck

Post Number: 407
Posted on Wednesday, February 28, 2007 - 6:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No, this isn't a forum poll about which of them has a larger ego or smaller sense of shame . . . enjoyable as that exercise might be.

Rather, it's a heads-up that Jack slapped Matty around today in a broadcast commentary worth reading here at

Highlights:
* "For some baffling reason, the media in this state seem totally uninterested in anything having to do with Matty Moroun, the reclusive multi-millionaire who owns the Ambassador Bridge and a lot of other real estate in Southwest Detroit. The Detroit newspapers shy away from asking questions about his business dealings or his ownership of the bridge."

* "Matty Moroun has gotten away with ignoring state and local laws, claiming the bridge is a "federal instrumentality." On the other hand, he has refused to let government engineers inspect his bridge."

* "What needs to happen is for the bridge to be regulated and run by some kind of International Port Authority. Any border crossings should be controlled by an institution that would be equally answerable to the United States and Canada."

As part of today's report, Jack interviewed Windsor Star reporter Dave Battagello about a new federal law that means Moroun no longer is "able to operate almost in the dark."

A link to that 3-minute audio file accompanies the commentary transcript.

(Message edited by RealityCheck on February 28, 2007)

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 337
Posted on Wednesday, February 28, 2007 - 8:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry, I read:
Lessenberry vs. Moroun
as
Lessenberry is Moron

Ventura67
Username: Ventura67

Post Number: 110
Posted on Wednesday, February 28, 2007 - 8:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rarely do I disagree with Jack and I love how he often tackles difficult subjects.

Right on, Jack.

I wonder if he reads this forum?..... ;)

Realitycheck

Post Number: 410
Posted on Friday, March 02, 2007 - 2:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jack isn't done chewing on this meat yet. Like a hungry junkyard mutt (though he'd see himslef more as a Jack Russell Terrier), he nips at Matty again today in a Toledo Blade column that calls him:
quote:

a short, pudgy and partly deaf man . . . who is frequently accused of behaving as though he was a law unto himself.

This commentary largely echoes Wednesday's radio shots, but is worth skimming to see Lessenberry pretend he's shocked, shocked that our "terror-obsessed government doesn't seem to care" about a short, pudgy and partly deaf man's monopoly at our vital international portal.

Oh yes, and to see him snipe at these watchdogs for acting like lapdogs:
quote:

The Detroit newspapers almost never write about him or his business dealings.

Realitycheck

Post Number: 411
Posted on Wednesday, March 07, 2007 - 8:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

. . . the beat(ing up on Matty) goes on as Jack recycles his radio commentary in Metro Times.
quote:

Sadly, our newspapers don't seem to have the guts to [look into Moroun's financial relationships with both Kilpatricks]. We have an economy that we would like to keep alive, however, and the governments of Canada and the United States ought to start on a new jointly owned bridge, pronto. Meanwhile, they should keep Matty on a very short leash.

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 3718
Posted on Wednesday, March 07, 2007 - 9:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Time for Forum Spelling 101:

Maroun, not Moroun

or is it? Multiple spelling exist through out the press.

...and, hate'em or love'm, they are no morons.

Now let's get back to blocking their border crossing monopoly.

Realitycheck

Post Number: 413
Posted on Wednesday, March 07, 2007 - 9:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Time for Forum Spelling 101

Uh, well, see . . .
. . . respectfully and gently, no Lowell. It actually is spelled Moroun (or 'Greed' or 'Moron,' as you note).

No correction needed on stopping their monopoly, though.

Hope you don't mind this . . . wait for it . . . reality check.

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 3720
Posted on Wednesday, March 07, 2007 - 10:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Retraction:

Moroun not Maroun

This ^ after a call to Central Transportation HQ.

I will now retire to my corner table for a bowl of chapeau soup grumbling that previous editions of the Metrotimes spelled it Maroun.

Realitycheck

Post Number: 414
Posted on Wednesday, March 07, 2007 - 11:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

previous editions of the Metrotimes spelled it Maroun.

Gulp . . . guess this means we can't believe everything we read in the papers. I'm shocked, shocked.

And, um, would this be a convenient moment to mention that it's Metro_Times?

No need to eat your hat or crow or humble pie, LB . . . I usually resist that impulse, a remnant of serving too much hard time on a copy desk rim before busting out, but know we're among friends here.

Detroitrulez
Username: Detroitrulez

Post Number: 181
Posted on Wednesday, March 07, 2007 - 1:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

it is MAROUN you Morans!!

Granmontrules
Username: Granmontrules

Post Number: 36
Posted on Wednesday, March 07, 2007 - 7:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I found out recently that for all Lessenberry's ranting and raving on Detroit that he doesn't even live here? He lives in Huntington Woods. I would have thought for all his comments on the city that he would have a stake in us?

Craig
Username: Craig

Post Number: 35
Posted on Wednesday, March 07, 2007 - 7:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why hasn't anyone called out Lessenberry for name calling? Piling onto this bridge-guy like that is the same as saying Lessenberry is wrong because he is short and wears foolish-looking glasses. Make the argument, but leave the personal things out.

Mthouston
Username: Mthouston

Post Number: 756
Posted on Wednesday, March 07, 2007 - 9:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I found out recently that for all Lessenberry's ranting and raving on Detroit that he doesn't even live here? He lives in Huntington Woods. I would have thought for all his comments on the city that he would have a stake in us?

Since when do you have to live in Detroit to have a sake in Detroit?

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.