Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Is Royal Oak Overpriced? « Previous Next »
Is Royal Oak Overpriced? - 1Jt1120 03-02-07  4:42 pm
  ClosedNew threads cannot be started on this page. The threads above are previous posts made to this thread.        

Top of pageBottom of page

Lt_tom
Username: Lt_tom

Post Number: 142
Posted on Friday, March 02, 2007 - 4:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah I agree that your friend should take a wait and see approach. I saw that they want 470K for one of those condo/loft/whatevers in downtown royal oak. That is crazy. You can get a new townhome in Santa Monica, CA (approx same , albeit slightly less sq footage, and in a so-so area) for 695K. And I think we'd agree there is a BIG difference in the median single family housing prices of SM and RO. One of the RO condos advertised had the tagline "ON A CLEAR DAY YOU CAN SEE THE REN CENTER" LOL Those developers/realtors out there are trying to get what they can now because the floor is about to fall out from underneath (if it hasnt already).

Lt_tom
Username: Lt_tom

Post Number: 143
Posted on Friday, March 02, 2007 - 4:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Citylover you are pretty quick with the name calling. Go f**k yourself.

Crawford
Username: Crawford

Post Number: 40
Posted on Friday, March 02, 2007 - 4:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Citylover, Cleo doesn't live in Charlevoix. She lives 10 miles from Charlevoix. Bloomfield Hills is only 10 miles from Detroit, so I guess they're interchangeable. Cleo confirmed that she does indeed live on a dirt road in the sticks.

I don't think Charlevoix is charming. It's just another cutesy summer destination for Republicans from Bloomfield, all in search of bad food, souvenirs and assorted junk. I grew up in Bloomfield and everyone with cash but no class had a place in Charlevoix or Harbor Springs.

Also, when you leave these villages (maybe including Petosky) you might as well be in West Virginia. Check out Kalkaska or Mancelona.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 8447
Posted on Friday, March 02, 2007 - 4:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

However I am guessing that were someone really unfamiliar with Detroit needed to know about the city Ms.Cleo would have some good things to say.

I'd have to hear it to believe it.

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 1393
Posted on Friday, March 02, 2007 - 5:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would say that moderate-scale, single-family homes in Royal Oak would be a decent deal right now. There is a ranch across the street from where I live (mid-'50s vintage, brick, solid construction) that took forever -- nearly a year -- to sell. The asking price started above $190K. I later saw it was reduced to $174K. I'll bet it sold somewhere in the low $160s...

Rampartstreetnorth
Username: Rampartstreetnorth

Post Number: 5
Posted on Friday, March 02, 2007 - 5:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Apropos of the discussion of crime....everybody has opinions and everybody's entitled to them, but evidence is soooooooooooooo useful!

The first link will take you to the FBI's uniform crime statistic summary for Michigan towns and cities (2005, I think, the most recent year for which complete data is available)

http://www.fbi.gov/ucr/05cius/ data/table_08_mi.html

And this link takes you to a page of links regarding crime compiled by MSU...

http://www.lib.msu.edu/harris2 3/crimjust/stats.htm

And this last one (it's big!) allows you to look up crime rates and totals per 100K population for all major Metropolitan Statistical areas in the U.S.

http://www.fbi.gov/ucr/05cius/data/table_06.html#d

(Message edited by RampartStreetNorth on March 02, 2007)

(Message edited by RampartStreetNorth on March 02, 2007)

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 8448
Posted on Friday, March 02, 2007 - 8:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rampart - My post above is info taken directly from the FBI site. All of my posts that discuss crime rates are directly from the fbi site.

Dougw
Username: Dougw

Post Number: 1575
Posted on Saturday, March 03, 2007 - 12:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Baltgar -- great article about Hazel Park. That bodes well for the city if they are actively going after blight violators to that degree. Some leeway should be given to people who live in homes if they can't afford fixups, but for people who live elsewhere, there should be zero tolerance for that schitt.

Rampartstreetnorth
Username: Rampartstreetnorth

Post Number: 6
Posted on Saturday, March 03, 2007 - 9:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jt1, Re: the crime links I posted...not questioning you or anyone else, just putting a resource out there for anyone who's interested...

Southofeight
Username: Southofeight

Post Number: 69
Posted on Saturday, March 03, 2007 - 9:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I spend a lot of time in northern Michigan. I love it, actually. And I've spent a lot of time in Charlevoix, too. Great place. But to post here about how great you have it up and how we're all a bunch of pollution-huffing suckers down state is, just a little self-involved and kind of shallow. It's kind of childish and dumb.

I've been to Charlevoix. A lot. It's a playground for the rich, for people who can afford a boating and golfing lifestyle. And those who can't, but live there? They are some serious inbred weirdos. So, yeah, your town is scenic and pretty, that's great, but its accessible really only to people with cash. So, what does that make Miss Cleo?

That's right, a person of privilege. Yeah, yeah, you lived your 4,000 years in SE Michigan and retired up north. Big fucking deal. Shut up about it already. Nobody cares.

Rod
Username: Rod

Post Number: 8
Posted on Thursday, March 08, 2007 - 1:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My girlfriend and I bought a one owner cape cod (built in 1951!) in Hazel Park last June. We are three blocks north of 8 mile. In short: we love it!. The house was 45K cheaper than a comparable square footage home we almost bought in Royal Oak. Most of the homes we looked at in Detroit proper would have needed costly repairs that we would still be doing. Madison Heights was more pricey, and neighborhoods full of cookie cutter brick houses all began to look the same. We also looked at several in Hamtramck, parking would always bee an issue there. The home she used to own in Royal Oak at 11 mile and 75 flooded at least once every summer, it's basically swamp land that was drained. We have very easy access to the freeways, and can be anywhere in twenty minutes. As for the above statements about some of the houses close to 8 Mile being vacant and boarded up, yes there are a few, but I also watched them renovate one recently (occupied now), and another just got a new roof, siding and windows last week. If you are willing to take a chance anywhere in metro Detroit right now, you'll have to hold onto it long term either way. I'm confident that this neighborhood will get better by the time we are ready to consider selling (signs say it is already). The city services are great, street gets sweeped regularly, trash pickup is great. I think the smaller size of the city makes it more manageable. With the economy as it has been in the past few years, I think a lot of the white trash has burned itself out and moved on (in many cities), leaving oppurtunities for people like us. As far as the school issues, I have no children, but isn't it possible to enroll your children in a school district other than the one you reside in now days? There are several houses for sale in my neighborhood, come take a look. As I found out while looking at over 100 houses (in all sorts of cities), Do the footwork yourself first. Don't rely on an agent. Get them to give you a MSL listing of all the houses in you price range in all the cities you are considering. Drive by the houses on your own and weed them out. It helps to actually get out of the car and snoop around them also, peek in the windows, etc. We found our gem on our own, then told our agent about it. Don't forget, they work on commission.

Cambrian
Username: Cambrian

Post Number: 745
Posted on Thursday, March 08, 2007 - 1:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I love our Curbside recycling program too. They take junkmail, batteries, old metal pans, and small metal car parts in addition to the usual stuff.

Sparty06
Username: Sparty06

Post Number: 3
Posted on Thursday, March 08, 2007 - 1:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Royal Oak is good for some people, bad for others... depends on your point of view. However, on the whole I've felt that RO tends to be overpriced. To be fair, I've also though a lot of the midtown/Cass Corridor area developments (i.e. 55 W. Canfield where you stare at a McDonald's parking lot depending on where ou are and other developments in the area) are also overpriced. Granted, in midtown you are hoping the market will go up but it's a lot of cash to shell out considering the neighborhood.

Southofeight

Post Number: 72
Posted on Thursday, March 08, 2007 - 1:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

City services in Royal Oak are pretty solid, even though they've had to let nearly a dozen people go from the DPS. That, and the budget shortfalls in RO are a little worrisome. They should manage their assets a little better.

Curbside recycling is really quite convenient. And that is one of the things you pay for when you pay to live in RO. Spary is right, it's not for everyone. I think RO is overpriced, no doubt.

Good for you on the Hazel Park find, Rod. That's a great story.

Rod

Post Number: 9
Posted on Thursday, March 08, 2007 - 1:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cambrian, While I was out for a walk last week, I ducked into the "Videoplex" building. One of the junk shop owners told me it was scheduled to be torn down this spring (video store closed already), along with the Federals building. The article in the HP/MH news this week (about the Federals sign) stated otherwise, but that's the word in the neighborhood anyway. I also see the building inspector in my neighborhood VERY OFTEN.

Dds
Username: Dds

Post Number: 158
Posted on Thursday, March 08, 2007 - 1:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I've been to Charlevoix. A lot. It's a playground for the rich, for people who can afford a boating and golfing lifestyle. And those who can't, but live there? They are some serious inbred weirdos. So, yeah, your town is scenic and pretty, that's great, but its accessible really only to people with cash. So, what does that make Miss Cleo?

Someone who knows what she wants out of life, for her family and her future. So what? There are more inbred weirdos in parts of Detroit than in Charlevoix. Ever been down by Fordson Island?

How many times have I heard folks on this forum bitching about suburbanites "visiting" Detroit, and then making uninformed stupid comments about our city. Visiting a lot means nothing.

Cambrian

Post Number: 746
Posted on Thursday, March 08, 2007 - 1:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eight mile is a difficult stretch to make look nice, I grew up in Sfld, a little more upscale then Hazel Park, yet base line looked no better out that way. I was thinking an alternative fuel center at the old Federal site would be a good use of that land. Perhaps one where they make Diesel Fuel from recycled plastic or something like that. Retailers have a tough go of it on eight mile with the armed robberies. Hurts biz and scares customers off.

Rod

Post Number: 10
Posted on Thursday, March 08, 2007 - 1:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cambrian, I drove east down 8 Mile yesterday and I am still perplexed by it. In many ways it resembles Woodward through Ferndale/Royal Oak, in that it peaked in the 1960's. Still some great Architecture and Signage out there, but like Woodward there is no sense of where you are. I often get lost on Woodward because everything looks the same, I can't remember if I'm between 10 and 11, or near 12 mile. I have not heard anything recently about the organization to clean it up, I recall Cranbrook urban planners put together a plan last summer. Driving north on John R yesterday through downtown got me thinking about how they should consider lowering the speed limit near that area to almost create a bottle neck. It's too easy to drive by those great storefronts without really noticeing what is there. Think of 9 mile driving into Downtown Ferndale...

Cambrian

Post Number: 747
Posted on Thursday, March 08, 2007 - 2:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rod, They are doing something of that nature in north downtown birmingham, making the 4 lanes two lanes with a blvd. The intent is to discourage overflow cut through rush hour traffic and encourage more people to want to walk through there. HPs downtown has got lots of potential, not to sound like a broken record, but that's one thing Madison Heights does not have on us, a downtown area. The recently vacated lumber supplier in John R north of Woodward Heights would make a nice location for a trendy sports bar place like Dave & Busters.

Eastsidedog
Username: Eastsidedog

Post Number: 937
Posted on Thursday, March 08, 2007 - 2:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rod, what's the speed limit on John R in HP? Oh, and welcome to the forum!

Cambrian

Post Number: 748
Posted on Thursday, March 08, 2007 - 2:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I posted pics on the Defunct Gas Station thread of a unique looking antique gas station in Hazel Park.

Rod

Post Number: 11
Posted on Thursday, March 08, 2007 - 2:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eastsidedog, Not sure off hand, but I tend to just breeze through
with out really looking at all the small business fronts there. I guess my point overall is that you have to slow everyone down to notice the stuff that is there (or potentially is there). Ferndale is my best example, because on 9 mile you sort of just creep through that area, and notice the businesses. I have been viewing this site for some time, but sometimes I am hesitant to comment. Some of the discussions here often reach a predictable conclusion, others don't. just thought maybe my two cents was worth something today. Maybe I'll be wrong today, but the weather is having an affect on me!

Eastsidedog

Post Number: 939
Posted on Thursday, March 08, 2007 - 2:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The part in Ferndale is 2 lanes and 25 mph. John R, I believe is 4 lanes and probably 35 mph. John R Actually is more similar in build to Main St. in RO. But Main St. in RO has lots of lights (and traffic) to slow people down and notice the businesses.

Eastsidedog

Post Number: 940
Posted on Thursday, March 08, 2007 - 2:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rod, I know what you're saying about predictable conclusions and preaching to the choir. Then there are also the thread-killers. But don't let them deter you.

Baltgar
Username: Baltgar

Post Number: 55
Posted on Thursday, March 08, 2007 - 3:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I believe the speed limits on John R in Hazel Park are 35 N of I-75 (John R bridge) and 30 S of I-75. The discussion of lowering speed limits and putting in bike lanes on John R has been brought up by residents in the City. Though I believe MDOT and County insist that City does not do that as they use John R as an alternate route for I-75. Sounds like a similar excuse that MDOT uses for the Woodward bridge at 8 Mile. 9 mile in Hazel Park is a better candidate for lower speed limits and bike lanes.

The problem with building any major development in Hazel Park that would attract outsiders is the issue of parking. There are really no City lots to speak of in the City and most of the commercial area has residential directly behind it. Right now the area does not have the popularity to support these developments that would result in a developer buying the houses behind a commercial building simply to tear them down for parking. Also, the lots that are for sale are overpriced by real estate speculators hoping to cash in on the eventual overflow from Ferndale (exactly what we have discussed that we see might happen one day). Though, one the properties that might work as a catalyst is the Craftline building, which is just south of Bolyard lumber that Cambrian mentioned.

Check out the Land use map on the City of Hazel Park website to see more about the locations of these buildings.

http://www.hazelpark.org/

The City is working on trying to attract business through their volunteer Marketing Committee. The smallness of the City has been good for getting quality City services, but the smallness of the City also hinders the ability to market itself. In this new municipal financing atmosphere it may be best to look at merging with another city.

Southofeight

Post Number: 73
Posted on Thursday, March 08, 2007 - 4:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Those "visitors" you seem so compelled to malign bring money into the city to spend. Funny how THAT never gets mentioned on this site.

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 4723
Posted on Friday, March 09, 2007 - 1:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The most overlooked "convenience" about the area is its accessibility to the freeways. Like someone posted earlier, it's centralized and 20 minutes from most things and the airport being 40 minutes away but factor in gas costs, it's not bad.

Cambrian

Post Number: 750
Posted on Friday, March 09, 2007 - 7:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think Hazel Park could revitalize John R by doing What Royal Oak did with Washington St., Make 4 lanes, two lanes with Diagonal Head In parking. Then if need for more parking arises with more business development they may consider snapping up homes on the adjacent streets to make municipal lots.

Baselinepunk
Username: Baselinepunk

Post Number: 1
Posted on Friday, March 09, 2007 - 1:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've lived in Ferndale for 10 years now. We've had some really good progress over here during that time span.

One example of how lowering speed limits in order to get people to look around can back fire is the section of 9 mile that runs between Hilton and 75; it's like going to the damn Dentist.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.