Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » German will come to Detroit « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Germannfire
Username: Germannfire

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, February 28, 2007 - 5:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I"m a german man.I stayed for some month in Detroit.I like the Town & the people. I will come back.Looking for germans.

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 1042
Posted on Wednesday, February 28, 2007 - 6:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Come to Auburn Hills, there are plenty of Germans there.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 8451
Posted on Wednesday, February 28, 2007 - 6:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Welcome, Germannfire, glad you liked your stay.

I met a lovely young German gal standing in line at the Meijer grocery store in Northville, and she said there was an active community there as well...just northwest of the city, 30 minutes by freeway.

MY bet within the city is to go to that bar north of Six Mile...what was it called again? Come ON 56Packman, you played that German ditty on the piano there that night.

I'm a wee bit sleep deprived, but don't want to start on the caffeine yet...so my brain isn't exactly functioning.

56Packman points you to Auburn Hills, because my favorite auto company...VW/Audi...has their North American offices there. I know one of their top Public Relations people, I'm SURE we can get you hooked up with fellow countryfolk when you come back to town.

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 1997
Posted on Wednesday, February 28, 2007 - 7:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Dakota Inn Rathskeller is located on John R. just north of E. McNichols.

http://www.dakota-inn.com/web/ pages/home/

Great food! Great atmosphere! Great fun!!

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 1044
Posted on Wednesday, February 28, 2007 - 7:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ist Das nicht ein Schnitzelbank? ... Ja das Ist eine Schnitzelbank

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 2498
Posted on Wednesday, February 28, 2007 - 9:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When I think German, I think: The Heidleberg in Ann Arbor. Great German cuisine and bar in a beautiful building. Within 5 minutes of the train station so it's easy to get to from Detroit. Their website seems to have disappeared, but here's a review page:

http://local.yahoo.com/details;_ylt=ApNtBHGx9RZ41dmSDv2IfByH NcIF?id=16174024&state=MI&city =Ann+Arbor&stx=German+Restaura nts&csz=Ann+Arbor%2C+MI&fr=&ed =PhzVu6131DxIYCpK5tfzjt9UJTxM0 TdPZcFeGDAvkYplKKCP3jt_chn1&lc scb=

Detroit has a great German heritage. The Catholic Germans left a huge imprint on the near East side in the form of two beautiful churches that you may have already seen:

http://saint-joseph-detroit.or g/
http://home.earthlink.net/~old stmarys/

Kenp
Username: Kenp

Post Number: 224
Posted on Wednesday, February 28, 2007 - 9:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think Metzgers in Ann Arbor is much better then the Heidleberg for food. TO bad they moved out of downtown AA.

Eric_c
Username: Eric_c

Post Number: 916
Posted on Wednesday, February 28, 2007 - 9:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dakota Inn of course, but Jacoby's on Brush has good rouladen. Richter's Chalet at Michigan and Telegraph is a favorite, too.

Kenp
Username: Kenp

Post Number: 225
Posted on Wednesday, February 28, 2007 - 9:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Had the Rouladen at Jacobys about a month ago, I agree its good. Thats a good bar.

Drankin21
Username: Drankin21

Post Number: 67
Posted on Wednesday, February 28, 2007 - 11:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm a Detroiter living in Germany and this thread is making me hungry. Had a GREAT schweinaxel (pork knuckle) last night. Anyone know if any of a place in Detroit that serves it for when I move home?

Germannfire

Post Number: 2
Posted on Wednesday, February 28, 2007 - 2:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know Jacobys, but I don't ate there. I drunk german beer & Jägermeister.That's german cultur!sory about my english,I know it's not good,but I work on it.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 8471
Posted on Wednesday, February 28, 2007 - 2:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Helluva lot better than my German.

I think the depth of my hold on YOUR language extends to Nein! and Schnell! (father spent time there in the fifties during his Army stint, I guess he had to be kept in line often)

But I can go into great depths over the exacting functional beauty of Volkswagens, Audis, and Porsches...

Milwaukee
Username: Milwaukee

Post Number: 878
Posted on Wednesday, February 28, 2007 - 2:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Your English is better than a lot of Detroiter's english. Don't worry about it. If you're German, come to Milwaukee not Detroit!!!

Germannfire

Post Number: 3
Posted on Wednesday, February 28, 2007 - 5:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What's bedder in Milwaukee? I'm a Metalworker and Detroit got so much gates, fances & sculptures. Are in Milwaukee so nice girls like in D-Town? And belle isle ?
Germanwords for americans:
Dishwashercleaner = Geschirrspülmittel

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 2508
Posted on Wednesday, February 28, 2007 - 5:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Haha this is great.

You should definitely see Milwaukee, but AFTER you come back to Detroit.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 3705
Posted on Wednesday, February 28, 2007 - 5:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Germannfire, in Sterling Heights there is Carpathia Club, also home of the German American Cultural Center on Utica Road between Hayes and Schoenherr.

On Friday nights from 5PM to 8PM they have a Fish Fry Dinner (besides Fish, there's Schnitzel, etc).

On Tuesday mornings the Seniorengruppe have their weekly card parties.

On Thursday evenings there is Tischtennis.

Also on Friday nights is Deutsche Schule for the kids.

Usually one of the 8 Detroit area German clubs has a concert or some other activity on Saturday night (Hawaiian Abend, Kirchweih, Maskenball, Blumenball, Koenigsball, Maennerchor, Frauenchor & Gemischtechor, Jaegerbankett, Jugendgruppebankett, etc.)

And they also have weekly soccer tournaments in the warm weather months.

And in December they have Christkindlmarkt.

Arguably the best place in Metro Detroit for meeting other Germans!

Germannfire

Post Number: 4
Posted on Monday, March 05, 2007 - 5:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank's for the tips. I'm waiting for my visa and than I'm back

Milwaukee

Post Number: 895
Posted on Monday, March 05, 2007 - 6:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"What's bedder in Milwaukee?"

Milwaukee's the most German city in America. Milwaukee was a magnet in 1848 for German intellectuals who fled a failed rebellion. If you visit our city, much of the architecture has German influences. Not too many cities have as many German restaurants and the beer culture we have here in Milwaukee.

"Are in Milwaukee so nice girls like in D-Town?"

I can't compare Milwaukee's dating scene to Detroit's, but I do know we have 70K college students, 34,000 of them are women. Milwaukee has a huge community of urban professionals, lots of them are young women! :-)

Dabirch
Username: Dabirch

Post Number: 2126
Posted on Monday, March 05, 2007 - 7:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

But I can go into great depths over the exacting functional beauty of Volkswagens, Audis, and Porsches...

You can go into great depths about how you brushed your teeth last night...

Kathinozarks
Username: Kathinozarks

Post Number: 251
Posted on Monday, March 05, 2007 - 11:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh, snap!

Germannfire

Post Number: 5
Posted on Tuesday, March 06, 2007 - 11:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think ,I must make a trip to milwaukee!!! 34000? :-) Is the second name of milwaukee man's paradise?

Urbanize
Username: Urbanize

Post Number: 86
Posted on Tuesday, March 06, 2007 - 11:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Milwaukee's weather is always worst that Detroit's. They always see heavier snow, more thunderstorms, and colder weather.

Milwaukee

Post Number: 901
Posted on Tuesday, March 06, 2007 - 1:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We've got great sandy beaches, great place to spot out the ladies. Do you have those in Detroit? I can't recall.

Germannfire

Post Number: 6
Posted on Tuesday, March 06, 2007 - 4:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We got Belle Isle! You wrote so much over Milwaukee that I looked at Wikipedia and some other sides. When I got time I will visit the town. But I love Detroit.(I love the old Metalthings, & I hear Soul & R&B since I was ten)

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 3771
Posted on Tuesday, March 06, 2007 - 6:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry.... but Detroit is "Trés Chic" among Europeans... while Milwaukee is not!

Queensfinest
Username: Queensfinest

Post Number: 52
Posted on Tuesday, March 06, 2007 - 6:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As many of you know, Milwaukee is extremely close to Chicago and has been and will continue to be in the process of being absorbed into the Chicagoland Metro Area over the next several decades. I'd say this makes Milwaukee a pretty attractive place since Chicago continues to be a vibrant and thriving world city.

Milwaukee

Post Number: 902
Posted on Tuesday, March 06, 2007 - 7:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can't imagine Milwaukee without Chicago. Milwaukee owes a ton to Chicago. Plus, Milwaukee has cheap homes and condos in great neighborhoods. Far cheaper than Chicago and only a couple dollar train ticket away from downtown Chicago. It's about an hour between North Shore Chicago and downtown Milwaukee, thank God for that.

Seriously, you should go to Detroit. I'd love it if you came and visited Milwaukee but I'd live in Detroit. I think you'll have a great time in either city.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.