Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Hygrade's Deli on Michigan Ave. « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Unclevanya
Username: Unclevanya

Post Number: 1
Posted on Tuesday, February 27, 2007 - 1:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Has anyone ever been to Hygrade's Deli on Michigan Ave. E. of WG Blvd? How's the food? I was always uncertain whether it was an antique shop or a deli? Perhaps it's both. Any suggestions from the menu?

Penelopetheduck
Username: Penelopetheduck

Post Number: 5
Posted on Tuesday, February 27, 2007 - 1:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Many of my meat loving friends are obsessed with Hygrade. Evidently it's somehow connected to a slaughterhouse or butcher or meat-packer and therefore extra delicious.

Hardhat
Username: Hardhat

Post Number: 194
Posted on Tuesday, February 27, 2007 - 1:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Try it, you'll like it.
Their decor isn't much to look at, but their corned beef sandwich is to die for.
They also have a certain rare brand of cream soda, whose name I cannot recall, which is quite tasty.

Chub
Username: Chub

Post Number: 462
Posted on Tuesday, February 27, 2007 - 2:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is an antique store with the same name in the same block, but that's the only connection. Totally different owners.

Reetz12
Username: Reetz12

Post Number: 141
Posted on Tuesday, February 27, 2007 - 5:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Expect to be there for a long time, some of the slowest service in the city!

Sandwiches are ok, breakfast is horrible. I'd rather go across the street to Mike's famous Ham.

The decor....well nothing has been done since the late 60's...so I guess it has retro feeling to it.

Croweblack
Username: Croweblack

Post Number: 39
Posted on Tuesday, February 27, 2007 - 5:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

corn beef is better than louie's

The soup is dreadful, I mean dreadful.

And the soda is Dr. Brown's

Try the diet black cherry--awsome!

Ordinary
Username: Ordinary

Post Number: 141
Posted on Tuesday, February 27, 2007 - 10:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's pretty good. The owner, I think his name is Simon, is always crabby. It seems to always have a good crowd at lunchtime.

Luckycar
Username: Luckycar

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, February 28, 2007 - 7:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

owners name is Stu.Actually the owners name is Bernie,Stu is his son.I've been eating there since I was 16,50 now.Used to be a wild place with Clark St. employees,cops,suits,my scrap dealer father and me.Stu is always crabby!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.