Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » On these 2 kids being shot thing... « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 331
Posted on Tuesday, February 27, 2007 - 11:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

By now, I'm sure many of you have read about the two kids shot in the head on the city's west side.
The story has been in both papers practically every day with no details emerged.
The latest is here:
http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=/20070227/NEW S01/702270405

The story cites police who say both of the kids ran drugs; the relative who got the killers in the house also is a drug dealer; all five killers are drug dealers or at least have past drug convictions; and that the killers apparently were looking for money, probably drug money.

Now, take a look at the location of the house:
http://cmsimg.freep.com/apps/p bcsi.dll/bilde?Site=C4&Date=20 070227&Category=NEWS01&ArtNo=7 02270405&Ref=V2

Two questions merely for discussion:
1) Do you think these children would have fallen into a life of running drugs had they lived a mile to the right, in Dearborn?
2) Do you think the media would be making such a big deal about this story if the shootings had happened a mile to the right?

My thoughts:
1) Yes. The whole area, of course, is infested with drugs and crime. This is, of course, because Dearborn has drugs and crime, too. However, is it also possible that the kids wouldn't have gotten messed up running for dealers if they were getting the better education that Dearborn schools provide? Perhaps. Many people say that crime is Detroit's biggest problem; I would argue that it's the schools. No one (who has a choice) wants to raise their kids in a district where $1.6 million for new buildings and badly needed renovations is spent on art a toddler could draw (http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=/20070227/NEW S01/702270330/1003). Or where the students are all failing, either because of the environment, lack of resources or poor teachers. Could a teacher or counselor in a district with more money and better organization have gotten to these kids and saved them? Perhaps.

2) Yes. Two kids were shot in the head. They were children, granted, but this wasn't exactly the slaughtering of innocents. The story involves drugs, money, a kidnapping and a massacre. That sells. But does the Detroit mailing address make it "an even better story," does it "sell more papers?" I don't think so. I want to believe that had this happened in Armada Township, it still would have been this sensationalized. I look at the story of the woman in Macomb County who allegedly stabbed her two young daughters (and the dogs) to death last month. It definitely doesn't help the city's reputation.

I'd like your thoughts.

Dougw
Username: Dougw

Post Number: 1570
Posted on Tuesday, February 27, 2007 - 11:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

1) Maybe - I'd say it would be less likely for them to have gotten as far into that lifestyle in Dearborn, but it could happen.
2) Yes.

Fareastsider
Username: Fareastsider

Post Number: 155
Posted on Tuesday, February 27, 2007 - 11:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The residents comments in the article seem make it seem that Warrendale has fallen from being the stable community it was. My cousin lives North of Warren there and says the same stuff. I dont think the kids deserved to die at all they were so young they just imitated what was around them. Yes I also think things would have been different if they were raised in Dearborn. That part of Dearborn bounded by Tireman, Greenfied, Ford and the tracks is similar to the area of Detroit around it. It is full of new homes, businesses, and the rest of the area is well maintained and is very clean I cant say the same about Warrendale or closer Detroit neighborhoods. Drive down Warren Ave and go under the tracks by the water plant and look at the difference on the "other side of the tracks" You cant go on both side of those tracks and not think one side will raise a different kid than the other.

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 665
Posted on Tuesday, February 27, 2007 - 11:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

1) Probably less likely if they lived in Dearborn as school districts have a lot to do with how a kid behaves, not only because of the quality of education kids receive and the opportunities that await them as a result, but also because of the behavior of their peers that they are exposed to

2) The media would be making a bigger deal if this happened in the suburbs. Whenever something like this happens in the 'burbs, it generates more press coverage since events like this are much rarer in the suburbs and thus more shocking and newsworthy...

Sstashmoo
Username: Sstashmoo

Post Number: 23
Posted on Tuesday, February 27, 2007 - 11:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

1.Could it have happened a mile to the west in Dearborn? Highly unlikely as that is east Dearborn. I don't recall any violent crimes in that area committed by any of it's predominant population.

2.There would be much more media.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 440
Posted on Tuesday, February 27, 2007 - 12:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Guns don't work in Dearborn?

Cambrian
Username: Cambrian

Post Number: 687
Posted on Tuesday, February 27, 2007 - 12:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From a related thread:

That is a horrible news story. My gramma lived on littlefield 33 years ago. If anything instead of ignoring that tragedy and down playing it we should have all young children starting at grade 4 read that, maybe that will pour cold water on the perceived lifestyle snoop dog glorifies for the brutal, heartless, and homicidal way of life bangin' really is.

(Message edited by cambrian on February 27, 2007)

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 1030
Posted on Tuesday, February 27, 2007 - 12:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I live over in the area. Everyday I see more desolation in it. It is very sad. Even a year ago the neighborhood was much more vibrant.

There are days when I wonder why I stay. I suppose the fear of buying in a nicer area only to have a larger drop in property values keeps me. Another reason, my grandmother lives a few blocks away. She needs family closeby and would be devestated if I move.

Its really a surreal place. There are places where homes are neatly kept, but there may be a few boarded up ones about. Most of the folks over there are just normal folks trying to make it though their lives and do the right thing. However, they have to put up with the annoyances of crackheads and hookers (who are there only to get money for drugs). I really think that the major problem here is policing.

Southwestmap
Username: Southwestmap

Post Number: 716
Posted on Tuesday, February 27, 2007 - 12:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here is a question that has to do with this thread - but tangentally. I live in a Detroit neighborhood that is rough and gritty, but has potential to be a good neighborhood.

I have a new, since November 2005, neighbor couple, right next door. They are in their fifties, each in a third marriage. Her children are big problems (drugs, prison time, babies scattered among many mothers, etc.)but they don't live there.

The problem is that there are many, many people, not family members, coming and going all the time. Many guys always walking between our houses. Lots of activity and cars coming and going in the alley. The husband does not work, although he could be receiving disability income She cleans airplanes at metro. They have a mortgage of $105,000 from a sub-prime lender (as reported on the Wayne County Treasurer's website) with a $5,000 down payment. Obviously, I have looked them up - because I wonder what is going on.

Some neighbors think that the endless parade of people (adults) coming to the door indicates a drug operation of some kind, and that this is how they are financing the mortgage.

So, what do the readers think? What are the signs of a drug operation in a "pretty good" neighborhood, and what, if anything should a neighbor do and watch for? How likely is it that this couple (middle-aged Hispanic) would be involved in something like that? Am I terminally naive?

Janesback
Username: Janesback

Post Number: 243
Posted on Tuesday, February 27, 2007 - 12:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I read the comments that readers (the ones from FREEP) sent in regarding these murders. Im in Texas, and for the most, death penalty isnt a deterrent. Seems when they do indeed administer lethal injection in Hutsville, 99% of the time, the victims' family is there with a smile on their face. Who can blame em, they have lost a sister, son, brother, parent. Maybe we could be like Turkey when it came to drugs. Sounds insensitive, but until it happens in your family, you wont know. If it bring them closure, then good, they can get on with their lives.

On the flip side, how many used to bootleg whiskey and died because of it during the Prohibition? There was lots of crime dealing with the selling and transporting of alcohol, but within the late 20s or 30s it was repealed. Alcohol is available to adults. I know, kids are able to find it when they want. But my point is, and Im sure this will set off a firestorm, but if they legalized alcohol, why not drugs?

Face it, the laws arent working in this country when it comes to drug usage. Its failing and something needs to be done.

But somethings got to give. The MS 13 drug lords ( notorious , ruthless gangs from Central America and South America) are already setting up in port cities such as New Orleans and Miami and Houston. Wait till there are even more killings of thugs and innocent by-standers over turfs. This has happened in Houston when the Katrina evacuees set up businesses (drug) in areas that already were set up by thugs in Houston. Crime increased 37 % within 6 months.
The police are for the most straight and dont put up with much, so that and "NEIGHBOR HOOD " watch programs and involvement have a hell of lot to do with an area goes bad or not>

I didnt answer your questions, but its getting to where I think people wouldnt balk at a public exection. Sounds barbaric, but then shooting 2 children is as low as it gets. Shooting 2 children in the head for money.What a shame .... Jane

Crawford
Username: Crawford

Post Number: 32
Posted on Tuesday, February 27, 2007 - 12:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What's really scary about this is that it took place in one of the supposedly "decent" neighborhoods in Detroit. Warrendale was (until recently) fairly safe and quite diverse.

Is Warrendale the next Brightmoor? Will the decay seep into Dearborn? Arab families are already spreading from Dearborn into other suburbs (Dearborn Heights, Garden City, Canton). Could decay from Detroit lead to decline in East Dearborn? Remember that (until very recently) the Detroit neighborhoods bordering Dearborn were pretty decent.

Ordinary
Username: Ordinary

Post Number: 140
Posted on Tuesday, February 27, 2007 - 12:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Southwestmap,
I've got to think that there's big time drugs going on at that house.

Thejesus

Post Number: 668
Posted on Tuesday, February 27, 2007 - 12:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Guns don't work in Dearborn?"

You must be the most intelligent poster on the forum...we're all jealous

Mikem
Username: Mikem

Post Number: 3120
Posted on Tuesday, February 27, 2007 - 12:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

She cleans airplanes at metro.

If she's cleaning airplanes at metro, she has passed a background check, a drug test, and is subject to random drug testing. Of course, she could be clean while her husband is the dealer. Maybe he's dealing her?

Citylover
Username: Citylover

Post Number: 2181
Posted on Tuesday, February 27, 2007 - 1:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/t ol/comment/columnists/guest_co ntributors/article1403235.ece

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 5579
Posted on Tuesday, February 27, 2007 - 3:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Home on Mansfield St. is located South of Tireman St. and north of W. Warren Ave. Between Greenfield Ave. near the Dearborn border and Southfield FWY. in the mostly Arab community of Warrendale. the ghettohoods just a block south of Tireman is mostly black but, fewer blocks near W. Warren Ave. is mostly Arab with few blacks and whites.

The lesson is that you deal drugs. You more like going to be killed. I can't believe that some black kids have brought into the pill, weed and dope business and end up getting killed by rival drug dealers. Who are their mothers and fathers? Did they watch them all the time? Or did they just run off and play with themselves? Now those 2 black kids are gone. The whole Detroit ghettohoods knows about it even the Arabs and white folks who live next door to that drug house. It's another BROTHER KILLING BROTHER in the Ghettos of Detroit with no end in sight. There is no easy way out.

Southofeight
Username: Southofeight

Post Number: 58
Posted on Tuesday, February 27, 2007 - 4:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I lived in Warrendale from 1994-96. It sucked then. I can't imagine it's any better now.

I drove through there last year and shit looks EXACTLY the same.

SWmap, there could be any number of explanations. One sign is, yes, people coming and going, especially if an average visit is, I don't know, 10-15 minutes. Also, check for someone waiting in the car. Sometimes, drug house etiquette calls for not bringing into the house someone the dealer doesn't know. People hanging back in the car might not have their drughouse privileges yet.

Again, this is all relative. They could be just immensely popular and likeable people.

Danny

Post Number: 5580
Posted on Tuesday, February 27, 2007 - 4:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Crawford,

The Arabs in Dearborn who lived near the borders of Detroit can handle the black problems for the past 30 years. They are in no way making their exodus (like the Jews) to another city. Their communities are quickly growing all around Dearborn, Parts of Detroit's Warrendale Community, SW Detroit, Yemeni Village along Mt. Elliot Conant near Hamtramck border, W.7 Mile Rd. between Woodward Ave. and Chrysler FWY. Dearborn Heights, Garden City, Westland and all over the Metro-Detroit area. They hear all the drugs, crime and blight in the news and they can handle it by keeping their kids and their women away from attitude striken people. They would only be friends with them if their hearts matches with God and they could slowly drift away from them if their attitudes change. So far Arabs who live near that drug house on Mansfield St. are here to stay and if that black family who owns that house moves away, the Arabs would come and buy it from HUD or some other real estate company not remembering that house used to owned by a black Detroit family who turn it into a drug store.

Barnesfoto
Username: Barnesfoto

Post Number: 3078
Posted on Tuesday, February 27, 2007 - 4:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

SW Map:
Have you asked them if they sell Herbalife?
people coming and going constantly is a sign of something being sold...If something smells fishy, but you don't see a dead fish, what conclusion do you come to?
I'd suggest discretely setting up a video cam, and contacting the DPD narcs (as useless as they may be) and the Wayne Co. Prosecuting attorney forfeitures division.

Ordinary
Username: Ordinary

Post Number: 142
Posted on Tuesday, February 27, 2007 - 10:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Barnesfoto,
Your phrase in parentheses says it all. My mom had a dirt bag drug dealer across the street. His mom passed away and when he got out of prison, he promptly set up shop there. I remember my little brother saying, "Jeff's Crack and Stuff, will that be cash or stolen merchandise?" He was there for a long time. I don't even remember how he finally left. Traffic day and night, it was total bullshit.

Craig
Username: Craig

Post Number: 5
Posted on Tuesday, February 27, 2007 - 10:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey, Southwest...

No way of knowing what's going on unless you see people going in with electronic 'n tools and walking out with nothing. Not everyone lives like the Cleavers (in bed by nine), so just watch for criminal behavior. Kinda like having roaches: there'll be no question once you have them (or so I'm told, about the roaches that is).

Superduperman
Username: Superduperman

Post Number: 216
Posted on Tuesday, February 27, 2007 - 11:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They don't sell drugs......

Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 333
Posted on Wednesday, February 28, 2007 - 4:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Danny,
Every time I read your posts I get the feeling you're racist. Maybe you're not, but you sure come across that way.

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 2652
Posted on Wednesday, February 28, 2007 - 5:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Obvious drug traffic if there's 24/7 five-minute "visits" to any house.

And don't expect much help from the police until the loot builds up to a significant high level for them to "take" for themselves, using the law for their expropriations.

How else do those occasional drug busts get up to millions of dollars for some of the larger busts? Clearly, if the police wanted to act, they could have busted those ops before the booty for the cops to take got to even 1% of those major busts. Every cop knows where those places are...

So, in the interim, there will be all that vehicular and foot traffic to those houses, and occasionally some disgruntled customers get angry and conduct business with their firearms...

Danny

Post Number: 5585
Posted on Wednesday, February 28, 2007 - 6:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rhymeswithrawk,

I'm not a racist nor you do see any racist comments on this thread. Be careful of what you see on this forum. You may get some backtalk from other other people.

Flappervamp
Username: Flappervamp

Post Number: 6
Posted on Wednesday, February 28, 2007 - 7:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't necessarily believe the amount of media coverage would be different, but the content and the intent of the story would be different. If these two kids were shot in Birmingham, there would be a public outcry. WE MUST DO SOMETHING!!! Because it's in Detroit, the attitude seems to be more like "see isn't it a terrible place."

Rhymeswithrawk - put your fist down & get off your soap box. That kind of threat is what keeps honest dialogue from happening.

Citylover
Username: Citylover

Post Number: 2182
Posted on Wednesday, February 28, 2007 - 8:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Or stay there (soapbox) it doesn't really matter as rhymeswithhawks position here is irelevant.

I suggest a sentencing exchange program with another country say for example ,Turkey or Afghanistan, or China_ they could try the five suspects and then execute them.It would be done in short order.

Iheartthed

Post Number: 444
Posted on Wednesday, February 28, 2007 - 10:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"You must be the most intelligent poster on the forum...we're all jealous"

We can only hope that some of it rubs off on you.

Fnemecek
Username: Fnemecek

Post Number: 2385
Posted on Wednesday, February 28, 2007 - 10:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Two questions merely for discussion:
1) Do you think these children would have fallen into a life of running drugs had they lived a mile to the right, in Dearborn?
2) Do you think the media would be making such a big deal about this story if the shootings had happened a mile to the right?

First off, Mansfield is only a couple of blocks away from the Dearborn/Detroit border; not a mile away. To answer those questions more directly.

#1. It's entirely possible, but not as likely. The difference is top-notch schools and a strong police presence. The kids would have been more likely to be drug users than dealers or runners.

#2. When it comes to kids getting shot, I don't think it would make a difference in the media coverage.
quote:

What's really scary about this is that it took place in one of the supposedly "decent" neighborhoods in Detroit. Warrendale was (until recently) fairly safe and quite diverse.

In spite of Southofeight's comments, Warrendale has been a generally nice neighborhood.

The big challenge the neighborhood faces is that it's bordered on 2 sides by Dearborn and on 1 side by Dearborn Heights; with a freeway running through the middle of it, allowing quick in and out access from the neighboring suburbs.

This, combined with only minimal enforcement by DPD, creates an environment where suburban drug customers can do business with city-based drug dealers and have only a small risk of being arrested.

The fact that this is true also creates a very lucrative market for the drug dealers. They mark their territory and are ruthless with any competing dealer sets up shop in what they perceive to be their sales territory.

The worst aspect of this is what we saw last week. Sometimes innocent people get sucked into this whole mess. The result of that is what happened last Friday.

Thejesus

Post Number: 675
Posted on Wednesday, February 28, 2007 - 11:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"We can only hope that some of it rubs off on you."

No thanks...I don't want your genital warts...

Iheartthed

Post Number: 447
Posted on Wednesday, February 28, 2007 - 3:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"No thanks...I don't want your genital warts..."

If you could only be so blessed to have the opportunity.

Thejesus

Post Number: 680
Posted on Wednesday, February 28, 2007 - 3:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

believe me...you're not my type...not even close...sorry

Iheartthed

Post Number: 448
Posted on Wednesday, February 28, 2007 - 3:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank God.

Relay the message for me.

Fnemecek

Post Number: 2386
Posted on Thursday, March 01, 2007 - 11:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Okay - now that Thejesus and Iheartthed are done expressing their unrequited love for each other - I thought I'd chime in with a quick observation.

Ever since the shooting that starting this thread, I have seen a huge increase in the number of marked DPD vehicles in the neighborhood. I was waiting for a bus last night and counted 3 patrol cars and 1 police van in the 20 minutes that was standing at the bus stop. Plus, I saw another DPD car shortly after I got on the bus.

I don't think I've ever seen that many DPD cars in my neighborhood in one evening, let alone within the span of 20 minutes.

In other news, I haven't seen a single drug deal happen in the past week. I usually see 3 or 4 of them happen a week.

Iheartthed

Post Number: 452
Posted on Thursday, March 01, 2007 - 1:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Iheartthejesustoo

Thejesus

Post Number: 690
Posted on Thursday, March 01, 2007 - 1:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fnemecek:

Don't tell me you're trying to correlate increased police presence with reduced crime!!!! (sarcastic)

you nailed it...why can't more people understand this rather simple concept????

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 1037
Posted on Thursday, March 01, 2007 - 2:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fnemcek, Hip Hip Horray!

Too dammed bad it takes people getting killed in drug deals to get police attention these days.

I can remember when I first moved to Warrendale there were cops on horses writing tickets. Its sad to see that it has to get like this.

Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 342
Posted on Thursday, March 01, 2007 - 3:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Too dammed bad it takes people getting killed in drug deals to get police attention these days.

I was just going to type the same thing.

Fnemecek

Post Number: 2387
Posted on Thursday, March 01, 2007 - 4:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Don't tell me you're trying to correlate increased police presence with reduced crime!!!! (sarcastic)

you nailed it...why can't more people understand this rather simple concept????

The concept often gets tripped up in the reality of Detroit's budget situation. DPD is currently short more than 2,000 police officers. That shortage makes is impossible for them to give the kind of sustained service that Detroit needs and deserves.

The question then is: how can a cash-strapped City come up with the financial resources to hire more police officers?

I posted a couple of ideas more than 2 months ago on the Warrendale (Detroit) Blog. Each of them, in my opinion, would do a lot to move Detroit forward.

http://warrendale.blogspot.com /2006/12/mail-bag-2006-in-revi ew.html

It's unfortunate that this hasn't happened already. The good news, however, is that today is a new day and, as such, the City has a new chance to make things right by giving Detroiters the police department that we pay for and deserve.

Bw7085
Username: Bw7085

Post Number: 3
Posted on Thursday, March 01, 2007 - 6:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When something negative happens in the suburbs
the media reports the city as metro Detroit. When
something positive happens in the suburbs the media reports the actual city. Bottom line is any
negative news weather it happen in Detroit or out
in the suburbs is aways label Detroit.

Warriorfan
Username: Warriorfan

Post Number: 662
Posted on Thursday, March 01, 2007 - 7:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

When something negative happens in the suburbs
the media reports the city as metro Detroit. When
something positive happens in the suburbs the media reports the actual city. Bottom line is any
negative news weather it happen in Detroit or out
in the suburbs is aways label Detroit.

And of course, you can back this up with a few examples, right?

Ladyinabag
Username: Ladyinabag

Post Number: 4
Posted on Friday, March 02, 2007 - 3:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Watch "The Wire" on HBO. You can catch re-runs on BET on Thursdays at 9:00 PM. Same story as this.... except this is real life, rather than pseudo events taken from real life.

(Message edited by ladyinabag on March 02, 2007)

Iheartthed

Post Number: 454
Posted on Friday, March 02, 2007 - 4:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Palace Brawl...

Fnemecek

Post Number: 2388
Posted on Friday, March 02, 2007 - 4:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The national media reported the Palace Brawl as being in Detroit. The local media, however, reported it as Auburn Hills.

The national media regards everything in Wayne, Oakland and Macomb counties as being "Detroit".

Eric_w
Username: Eric_w

Post Number: 34
Posted on Sunday, March 04, 2007 - 8:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just another case in a long,long,long line of black on black crime. Drugs & Money-Money & Drugs. All that's missing is a rap tune to memorialize the dead. This and countless crimes like this are the true examples of "Detroit Culture".

D-town didn't get title "MURDER CITY USA" for nothing
SAD SAD SAD

Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 350
Posted on Sunday, March 04, 2007 - 10:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

CNN reporting Tara Lynn Grant as being found dismembered around her "Detroit-area home."
More proof of Frank's comment.

Nyburgher
Username: Nyburgher

Post Number: 66
Posted on Sunday, March 04, 2007 - 10:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For the record, I have never visited Detroit because I am afraid to. Unless you can show me that all the crime stats were faked and all those dead people are really in the Bahamas - I think I have good reason to be scared. Crime is the issue for Detroit.

Southwestmap
Username: Southwestmap

Post Number: 725
Posted on Tuesday, March 06, 2007 - 11:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Now Time Magazine covers this story:

http://www.time.com/time/natio n/article/0,8599,1596454,00.ht ml

Note the last two paragraphs: Detroit's murder rate of 39.3 per 100,000 is six times as great as New York, more than three times that of Los Angeles and more than double that of Chicago. "It's even higher than in Philadelphia," says Cox, adding the total number of murders in Detroit climbed more than 17% last year. While 3,100 American soldiers have died in the war in Iraq, 1,518 Detroiters have been murdered during roughly the same four-year stretch from the beginning of 2003 to the end of 2006, says Cox. "The mayor is doing everything he can but he needs more resources," says Cox.

Superduperman

Post Number: 230
Posted on Tuesday, March 06, 2007 - 11:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm curious as to how people actually think we can stop murder from happening here in Detroit.

Danny

Post Number: 5603
Posted on Tuesday, March 06, 2007 - 5:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well Superduperman, if we have people who would do community policing. Then crime would go down right away. That's all the resource the KING KWAME should have instead of begging the Elephant Party for some money.

If black folks stop playing with themselves trying to use the Devil's theory of taking the easy way out. Then they would prosper with God's help gaining control of their lives. Same goes for white folks, too.

(Message edited by danny on March 06, 2007)

Superduperman

Post Number: 231
Posted on Tuesday, March 06, 2007 - 6:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well not to rain on your parade but a strong police presence doesn't mean murders wont happen,3 people were killed downtown this year which is heavily patroled.

Fnemecek

Post Number: 2394
Posted on Tuesday, March 06, 2007 - 9:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A few thoughts on the subject of Detroit's murder rate.

While an increased police presence will not mean that Detroit will become crime-free, it can have a significant impact. This is especially true in parts of Detroit that are, for all practical purposes, devoid of police service.

Some of my neighbors who are retired will sit on the porch during the summer and count how many times they see a police car pass. Most of the time, they're able to go weeks without seeing one.

I hazard a guess that if that same experiment were tried in Chicago or New York, they would have a very different result.

Police patrols will not solve the problem, but they can make a big difference.

There is also the subject of Detroit's drug trafficking. One of the things that I have learned is that when drug dealers start battling over territory, they don't just try to eliminate their competition. All too often, they go for body count - eliminating both their competition and anyone who might be a witness.

The larger body count, of course, makes for a higher murder rate.

Take the drug dealers off the streets before they start shooting, and keep them off, and that part of the problem is dealt with.

There is also the question of what happens to criminals after they are released from prison. I was going through my notes the other day. I was at a budget seminar in February 2005 with Mayor Kilpatrick. One of the things that he pointed out at that time is that approximately 70% of the violent crime committed in Detroit is perpetrated by individuals who have been out of prison for less than 6 months.

Again, this is something that needs to be dealt with much better. I'm not sure, however, what the solution to that part is.

Janesback
Username: Janesback

Post Number: 252
Posted on Wednesday, March 07, 2007 - 3:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm not sure, however, what the solution to that part is.

-----------------------
It may sound corny and strange, neighborhood participation and patrol is 90% effective. I live in an area that is relatively low in crime, and it has to do with the fact that many retirees patrol and communicate with our local civic association.

The neighborhood has 3rd Wed evening get togethers when we "request" policemen to attend to confront them with our greivencies. We hold them to it, and EXPECT to get feedback from any reports we submit to them. I only say this because I am on our civ assn committee. I let them get away with nothing.

That along with the fact that sooner or later, neighborhoods have to get involved. The apprehensiveness of stepping up and confronting the punks is effective. If they move in, they have to run out, just like rats.

I hope Im not sounding like I have all the answers, I DONT, but again, the scum that attempts to move in or take over any streets in our neighborhoods are in for rude awakening. We run em outta here, hookers, thugs, druggies, pedlars. We have invested good money in our area, and refuse to let it become a slum.

This has helped to keep our burglaries , property theft and vandalism extremely low.

note (the police commend us repeatedly for neighborhood involvement. It makes their jobs easier as well) Jane

Thejesus

Post Number: 713
Posted on Wednesday, March 07, 2007 - 3:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Superduperman:

there may not be a solution...and many people feel that the only way to deal with the problem is the move away from the areas where this kind of thing is happening and just leave the animals there to kill themselves if that's what they want to do...hence the creation/continued existence/flourishing of the suburbs over the past half century...

Frumoasa
Username: Frumoasa

Post Number: 4
Posted on Wednesday, March 07, 2007 - 8:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was just down on Warren Av. by the Southfield Fwy and I saw 8 police cars with people pulled over. There were 2 cop cars on one car they pulled over going EB on Warren by Warrendale Hardware, then there was a huge bust going on with about 4 young men in a Buick, 3 cop cars, an unmarked vehicle and a Police van. Whatever it takes, but it was actually a little scary to see all these cops out...(I was going a steady 33 MPH on Warren, that's like a first for me :-)

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.