Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Brush Park Village North « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Detroitman
Username: Detroitman

Post Number: 1054
Posted on Tuesday, February 27, 2007 - 7:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was over at the detroitmidtown.com website and found some info on this new development. It will feature 26 Carriage Homes, Lofts, Studios, Duplexes and Townhomes prices from $140,000 to$430,000. Here's a rendering http://www.detroitmidtown.com/ 05/image_lib/NorthBrushPark_El evation_Low_Res.jpg

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 575
Posted on Tuesday, February 27, 2007 - 8:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

North Brush Park? Is that like getting close to midtown yet? Or is it just like a few blocks north of I-75?

E_hemingway
Username: E_hemingway

Post Number: 1072
Posted on Tuesday, February 27, 2007 - 8:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think it's the area just south of Mack. There are Hip City Living signs up all over that place. I always considered Mack the place where Brush Park ends and Midtown begins.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 2477
Posted on Tuesday, February 27, 2007 - 10:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Looks like townhomes with a style that is differentiated from those in southern Brush Park. I'd like to know what blocks we're talking about but their website has a lot of bad links.

Queensfinest
Username: Queensfinest

Post Number: 41
Posted on Tuesday, February 27, 2007 - 11:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It will be a milestone for the city of Detroit and Michigan as a state when a person is finally able to walk from the riverfront north to I-94 or even farther inland without having to navigate through urban prairies and/or abandoned structures.

This is an the next component as far as reestablishing Detroit as a vital city in the 21st century.

Cman710
Username: Cman710

Post Number: 244
Posted on Tuesday, February 27, 2007 - 1:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I like the rendering. I am on the mailing list for this development, and will try to keep everyone posted if I find out more information, and can get the chance (work has been very hectic lately!).

Fareastsider
Username: Fareastsider

Post Number: 156
Posted on Tuesday, February 27, 2007 - 1:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree Queensfinest....I hate the way it looks west of Woodward north of 75 now. It is a reality check when leaving downtown.

Apbest
Username: Apbest

Post Number: 435
Posted on Tuesday, February 27, 2007 - 2:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the website is obviously still under construction...it barely works

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 3701
Posted on Tuesday, February 27, 2007 - 2:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Er... um... Brush Park is part of Midtown.

Midtown includes... Brush Park, Cass Park (the area around Masonic Temple), Medical Center, Orchestra Place, Cultural Center, and Wayne State University.

The borders of Midtown are Ford, Chrysler, Fisher and Lodge Freeways.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 5576
Posted on Tuesday, February 27, 2007 - 2:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gentrification is here in Detroit. The inner city projects will be gone forever. The poor and low-income people will be displaced and nouveau riche will take over.

Mackinaw

Post Number: 2481
Posted on Tuesday, February 27, 2007 - 3:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Obviously!!! This city isn't massive or anything, right. A few gentrified blocks in the core of the city means that all the poor people across this giant city will be priced out and have no place to live, obviously. And there is no economic benefit when more wealthy people and developers inhabit the city; I really can't foresee any increasing demand for services and retail and other industries where low-skilled people might have an 'in.' Clearly, wealthy people will move in and not spend a dime of money in the city. There is no such thing as trickle down. And wealthy people definitely won't pay any taxes, so the city budget and services won't get any better.

Wow Danny, take some econ classes down at Wayne, please.

Eastsidedog
Username: Eastsidedog

Post Number: 921
Posted on Tuesday, February 27, 2007 - 4:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I love how everything is a "Village" or a "Town" these days, even though it's in the city. TechTown, MidTown, Asian Village, English VIllage, Bellevue Village, AfricanTown, Brush Park Village North. Can't the developers be a little more creative? At least in the suburbs it's Shady Meadow, or Evergreen Trail or Sylvan Glen (often named after the nature the new development replaced).

It seems even on Cityscape Detroit's web site the Cass Corridor has ceased to exist. It's all "Midtown" now.

http://www.cityscapedetroit.or g/Detroit_neighborhoods.html

You can thank the developers for that one.

Eastsidedog

Post Number: 922
Posted on Tuesday, February 27, 2007 - 4:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

But don't get me wrong Mackinaw. New development is 100% a plus for the city. I am just entertained by all the silly development names and marketing. But it must work or the developers wouldn't go through all the trouble.

Corktownmark
Username: Corktownmark

Post Number: 271
Posted on Tuesday, February 27, 2007 - 4:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When Andersens Garden, Willis show bar and cobb's corner closed it was the death nell for the "Cass Coridor". It is so sad to see this once fine area degenerate to the depths we find it in today.

Eastsidedog

Post Number: 923
Posted on Tuesday, February 27, 2007 - 4:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^You mean the depths of not existing?

Detroit313
Username: Detroit313

Post Number: 290
Posted on Tuesday, February 27, 2007 - 4:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That looks really nice. I would like to see things pick up on the other side of Woodward as well. Why doesn't the city try to help spur development in Cass Corridor?313

Mackinaw

Post Number: 2482
Posted on Tuesday, February 27, 2007 - 4:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Midtown is a large area, and you can't lump it all together. Naming various places/districts/blocks within Midtown is very appropriate. Obviously Brush Park is a subsect of Midtown, and the Cass Corridor should remain distinct. But there are blocks that feel distinct in themselves, such as Canfield west of 2nd, and Ferry and Palmer between Woodward and Cass where you see a couple rows of beautiful apartment houses remaining (these will be prime when the Wayne business school moves to Woodward and Ferry).

TechTown is going to feed off Wayne State quite a bit, yet it will be a neighborhood in New Center (north of 94), so that's a tricky one. I propose extending Midtown to the train tracks, so that along and north of Baltimore is New Center.

I would like to start referring to the area from Boston-Edison to Palmer Woods as 'uptown.' It's kind of difficult because you have Highland Park in the middle of that stretch. I enjoy the way that the stretch of Woodward from New Center to Boston Edison is called Piety Hill on account of all of churches/cathedrals.

Eastsidedog

Post Number: 924
Posted on Tuesday, February 27, 2007 - 4:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is quite a bit of development in the north end of the Cass Corridor err... Midtown.

Eastsidedog

Post Number: 925
Posted on Tuesday, February 27, 2007 - 4:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Willy's Overland Lofts are a big development in North Cass Corridor Village.

(Message edited by eastsidedog on February 27, 2007)

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 3703
Posted on Tuesday, February 27, 2007 - 5:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have (somewhere) a nice flashy brochure that the Midtown Business Association put together, and Cass Corridor ceases to exist on their literature. I know old habits die hard, but they are replacing the Cass Corridor with Cass Park, Orchestra Place and Wayne State University (although I am not sure WSU was considered part of the Cass Corridor).

Even the "Cultural Center" name was replaced by "Museum District" on the Midtown brochures. And when driving west on I-94 near the Chrysler interchange, signs say "Museum District - exit Woodward Ave".

Just as Downtown has its' districts (Harmonie Park, Capitol Park, Greektown, Bricktown, etc.), so does Midtown. But Cass Corridor is no longer being officially used.

And I say good riddance to that name that conjures up an area of "drug addicts and prostitutes."

Rrl
Username: Rrl

Post Number: 753
Posted on Tuesday, February 27, 2007 - 6:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Can I officially be a "hipster" if I buy a place that's advertised on a website called "hipcityliving.com" :-)

Skipp
Username: Skipp

Post Number: 115
Posted on Tuesday, February 27, 2007 - 6:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The brush park village north project is going to be on urskin street. There are some old brownstone's on the other side of the street that they are going to rehab, along with some other single family houses in that area.

Eastsidedog

Post Number: 927
Posted on Tuesday, February 27, 2007 - 6:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cass Park should become Midtown Park to make the erasure of history complete. Oh, and make Cass Ave. Midtown Avenue. hah! Mr. Cass you never existed!

Jfried
Username: Jfried

Post Number: 938
Posted on Tuesday, February 27, 2007 - 6:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

rrl. hipster no. weiner yes.

Norwalk
Username: Norwalk

Post Number: 26
Posted on Wednesday, February 28, 2007 - 5:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The milestone would be to walk from the River to I-94 and not get hit up for spare change!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.