Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Ben Wallace BOOOed on his return to the Palace « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Hkytwn
Username: Hkytwn

Post Number: 16
Posted on Monday, February 26, 2007 - 10:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Big Ben was BOOOOOoed when he was introduced on his return to the Palace and then BOOOOOed virtualy every time he touched the ball. Just wanted to get everyones take on this. I don't think I would have BOOOOOed him if I was there. The guy gave many many years of hard work here and was the face of the franchise..how can we fault him for taking 10 million more ....I think we all would have done the same

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 504
Posted on Monday, February 26, 2007 - 10:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought his introduction received about a 50/50 response, which is about what I expected. But after the game starts he is no longer a Piston, and therefore he is an enemy.

Thanks Ben, but all of that other stuff is in the past.

Rjk
Username: Rjk

Post Number: 628
Posted on Monday, February 26, 2007 - 10:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He plays for the other team so I would have booed him also.

Nice game by his replacement getting 21 points and 9 rebounds. Even with Webber's bad knee he put a couple of moves on Wallace that made him look like he was wearing cement shoes.

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 3703
Posted on Monday, February 26, 2007 - 11:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We love ya Ben for all the exciting BBall you gave us and I'm happy you made a bundle from the Bulls. Now play ball!

I must say my stress level has decreased 25% just by not having to painfully watch Ben shoot free throws at crunch time.

At this time in their careers, Webber is the better player because his game relies on finesse more than power. Yesterday showed that. It's like pitching; once the a pitcher loses his heat, will he adjust like a Frank Tanana or disappear like a Matt Anderson?

Queensfinest
Username: Queensfinest

Post Number: 40
Posted on Monday, February 26, 2007 - 11:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The entire Eastern Conference is weak this year. Nobody has a shot at the West champs, whoever they may be, with or without Ben Wallace.

Looking forward to baseball season and some great Yankees-Tigers matchups well into the playoffs.
It's just too bad that Det was ever moved out of the A.L East...

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 1203
Posted on Monday, February 26, 2007 - 11:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the AL central is just as good

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 4544
Posted on Monday, February 26, 2007 - 11:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't see anything wrong with booing a professional basketball player. I'm sure Ben Wallace expected it and would probably be disappointed if the Palace faithful didn't boo him. He knew what jersey he was putting on that morning and it wasn't the Pistons' red, white & blue. If anything I'd like to think that Ben even respects the fans for booing because it shows how spirited the Pistons fans can be.

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 11321
Posted on Monday, February 26, 2007 - 12:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

The entire Eastern Conference is weak this year. Nobody has a shot at the West champs

ahhhHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! That's the same thing they said when the Pistons played the Lakers back in 2004 in the finals. It was gonna be a joke, a massacre, an embarrassment to the Pistons organization. They simply couldn't measure up to all the hall of famers LA had, not with their squad of no names. 5 GAME SWEEP BABY!

This year's Pistons are getting stronger and stronger as the season progresses. With a few exceptions here and there, Saunders has been playing his bench many more minutes in most games, which should help significantly in the post season. I'd still like to see Maxiell getting more minutes though.

We have a starting 5 now that can score 20+ points on any given night. That wasn't the case when we had Ben Wallace. The Pistons have only lost 1 in their last 12 games, they are on a roll, and there isn't anybody in the east this year that can stop them in my opinion.

As for booing Ben Wallace, I really don't understand the point. Had he stayed with the Pistons, they wouldn't be as good as they are right now in my opinion. Chris Webber is a better all around player, as evident by yesterday where he out performed or was on par with Ben in almost every statistic.

Rjk
Username: Rjk

Post Number: 629
Posted on Monday, February 26, 2007 - 12:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think the Pistons can compete with anyone in the west. They wouldn't be favored over a team like Dallas, but I think it would be a competitive series.

The key is Rasheed. When he's playing with a chip on his shoulder and demanding the ball down low instead of being happy jacking up 3 pointers they're as good as any team in the NBA.

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 4901
Posted on Monday, February 26, 2007 - 12:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Glad you are lowering your stress level, Lord Mayor Lowell. Forget Frank Tanana, one of your heros, and invoke Kenny Rogers. Now there's a seasoned finese pitcher if there ever is one.
And he's working Spring Training, eh.

Big Ben Wallace has the flat-top 'fro now. Chgo. 'fro ain't a DEtroit 'fro. Aidios Ben. Your team ain't going nowhere.

jjaba, Proudly Detroit Sports Fan.

Smogboy

Post Number: 4550
Posted on Monday, February 26, 2007 - 12:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey SS,

I know this is gonna sound silly but...

FIVE game sweep?

Aren't sweeps usually done when one team doesn't register a victory?

Nighternock
Username: Nighternock

Post Number: 19
Posted on Monday, February 26, 2007 - 12:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would have booed him. I gave his image the "double bird" many times on my big screen tv. It was great when he got the technical foul. It turned the whole game around. He blew it big time and I loved every minute of it. I hope that the booing really got to him.

Smogboy

Post Number: 4552
Posted on Monday, February 26, 2007 - 12:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Now I would boo him because I'm a fan of the Pistons, not out of any hatred for the man. Can anyone blame him for taking an additional $10 million dollar pay increase? Would anyone here have done any less??

And as a professional sports athlete, I think he knows what to expect from loyal fans. Are we also so short sighted and so shallow to forget what he did when he was here?

As far as booing I also think it's only appropriate for the professional level athletes and left off of the kids level.

Supersport

Post Number: 11325
Posted on Monday, February 26, 2007 - 1:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I know this is gonna sound silly but...

FIVE game sweep?

Aren't sweeps usually done when one team doesn't register a victory?

Obviously you don't recall the headlines after the Pistons won the Championship. They called it a 5 game sweep, as the Pistons dominated the Lakers all 5 games. If not for a last second shot by Kobe forcing OT, and a win, they would have swept them in 4. Yes, calling it a 5 game sweep is silly, but that's what it was referred to as by the silly media.

Smogboy

Post Number: 4557
Posted on Monday, February 26, 2007 - 1:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

SS- I wasn't accusing you of making up the term Five Game Sweep. I remember hearing it all over the airwaves too.

Supersport

Post Number: 11326
Posted on Monday, February 26, 2007 - 1:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's like Sex Panther cologne by Odeon. 60% of the time, it works every time

Ericdetfan
Username: Ericdetfan

Post Number: 4
Posted on Monday, February 26, 2007 - 1:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Joe D's decision to pick up Chris Webber, in my opinion, was an awesome move. He is averaging 13 points a game with 7 rebounds...not monster numbers, but you would not know that by watching him play. He loves to be here and it shows.

Toog05
Username: Toog05

Post Number: 112
Posted on Monday, February 26, 2007 - 1:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Who Care's?!?!

Mayor_sekou
Username: Mayor_sekou

Post Number: 554
Posted on Monday, February 26, 2007 - 1:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was there and I had fun booing him and bad mouthing Chicago at the same time, in front of some Bulls fans no less. Good Times. Good Times.

Blort
Username: Blort

Post Number: 22
Posted on Monday, February 26, 2007 - 1:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He deserved to be booed. He had a great niche here, and he sold out.

$10 million is a lot to us, but to high paid pro-basketball players, that's not much. His children would not have starved had he taken the $45 million, or whatever Detroit offered him.

Smogboy

Post Number: 4558
Posted on Monday, February 26, 2007 - 1:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think $10 million to anyone is a lot of money- pro basketball player or not. And given Ben's discord with Flip Saunders, I think it made it easy for him to jump ship.

I don't think finances were the sole factor Ben left here but I can't blame him. If he thought he could go to Chicago and be the Man there AND there was an additional $10 million? I'd be there in a heartbeat and not just for the money either. I'm sure part of it was ego- Ben thought he could go there and duplicate the magic the Pistons had here.

Kenp
Username: Kenp

Post Number: 218
Posted on Monday, February 26, 2007 - 2:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We all cheer for Webber and boo Ben is a little ironic. How soon we forget that Webber took money in college and lied about.

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 654
Posted on Monday, February 26, 2007 - 2:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think they were booing in anticipation of how painful it was going to be to watch him shoot free throws again...

all kidding aside, I would have applauded when they introduced him...the guy is both a great player and a class act (save for the Ron Artest incident) which is rare in pro sports these days...we were lucky to have him while we did

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 1204
Posted on Monday, February 26, 2007 - 2:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

it was classy when in the third quarter during the boos he raised his hands and called for more. Or when he wouldn't go back in games.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.