Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Royal Oak: Historical Pictures/ Then and Now « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Ray
Username: Ray

Post Number: 855
Posted on Monday, February 26, 2007 - 2:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This seemed kind of interesting for those who study developments in Royal Oak.

http://www.ci.royal-oak.mi.us/ mp/historical/sld001.htm

Ookpik
Username: Ookpik

Post Number: 83
Posted on Monday, February 26, 2007 - 7:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cool pix - thanks for the link!

Does anyone have any info about the Shell Gas Station that was next to Hedge's Wigwam? I think it was right on the corner of 10 Mile and Woodward?

Fareastsider
Username: Fareastsider

Post Number: 143
Posted on Monday, February 26, 2007 - 8:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

great link!

Swiburn
Username: Swiburn

Post Number: 58
Posted on Monday, February 26, 2007 - 10:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ookpik, Most everything in that area was torn down for the I-696 freeway. I don't recall a Shell station, but the Matthews Hargreaves car dealership and Amy Joy donuts on the corner of l0 Mile and Woodward were all razed

Psip
Username: Psip

Post Number: 1454
Posted on Monday, February 26, 2007 - 10:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just ask

Shell 1

Shell 2

Woodward

Unknown

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 1589
Posted on Monday, February 26, 2007 - 10:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great, nostalgic old shots, Ray. Well done. Many thanks.
Do that for Birmingham and Pontiac and I will make you Man of the Year.

Ookpik
Username: Ookpik

Post Number: 86
Posted on Monday, February 26, 2007 - 10:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Excellent photos Psip!

Paulmcall
Username: Paulmcall

Post Number: 78
Posted on Monday, February 26, 2007 - 6:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I lived next to the fire alarm building (528 Knowles)on page three during the late 80's and early 90's. The city was actually talking about tearing down that building but a developer bought and rehabbed it into a residence.
I actually deliver mail to most of those buildings on Washington Street in Royal Oak.

Douglasm
Username: Douglasm

Post Number: 778
Posted on Monday, February 26, 2007 - 7:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I believe the Shell station was on the corner of Woodward and Main, wasn't it? That would put it in Pleasant Ridge. I assume Amy Joy got torn down for I-696.

In downtown Royal Oak, what currently occupies the old Montgomery Wards building on the corner of 4th and Washington across the street from the Washington Square Building? In the late '60's it was converted into the headquarters of The Bank Of Royal Oak.

Thanks for posting that link. Brings back memories......

Terryh
Username: Terryh

Post Number: 175
Posted on Monday, February 26, 2007 - 7:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

memories, melancholy misty morning memories of the way we were......

Burnsie
Username: Burnsie

Post Number: 870
Posted on Monday, February 26, 2007 - 7:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great pictures. I especially like the photo of the car dealership on 12 Mile compared with what it was in the '50s-- a rural-looking house with overgrown vegetation, like something out of the Hardy Boys or Nancy Drew.

I wonder if the creator of the website intended that the pictures be clickable for expanded resolution viewing? When you put the mouse on them, the "hand" icon (in Windows, anyway) appears as if it's intended to be clicked on, but nothing happens when you click.

Swiburn
Username: Swiburn

Post Number: 62
Posted on Monday, February 26, 2007 - 9:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Douglasm,
offices occupy the old Wards Building. I used to have my eye doctor in there. And yes, Amy Joy got torn down for the freeway, as did a zoo souvenir stand, the Red Barn, Eva Briggs Photography, Matthew Hargreaves Chevrolet used car lot, etc.

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 1591
Posted on Tuesday, February 27, 2007 - 2:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nice shots of the old Oak Drive In which was quite visible as you took the GTW commuter train home from Detroit to RO, B'ham, Pontiac etc. I remember leaving the Oak one evening and my brother forgot to replace the window speaker on the stand again,backing up and pulling it out of its cord with the speaker still affixed to the window frame of the car. We turned the speaker into the office, and were told don't worry about it as there were about 10 people a night who did the same thing. Some even drove off with the speaker.
I do not remember "Bills Hideaway," but I wonder if that was the forerunner to Bills Northern which was one of the road houses along Woodward Ave. like the Club Berkeley, Adrian Cotter's ( my favorite) and Hedges Wigwam.
And that ornate marquee of the Royal Oak theatre rivaled the marquee of the Birmingham theatre, even looked pretty much alike.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 5583
Posted on Tuesday, February 27, 2007 - 4:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From a mom and pop town to a hip cool homosexual metropolis. That is Royal Oak.

Rjlj
Username: Rjlj

Post Number: 279
Posted on Tuesday, February 27, 2007 - 5:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A least there is a progression rather than a digression. Lets look at the before and after pictures of Detroit and compare. The mom and pop part of it still remains and I hope you will support it.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.