Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Central HS/Durfee campus (architecture) « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 4087
Posted on Sunday, February 25, 2007 - 9:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So what is the story of this remarkable educational campus on the west side (from an architectural standpoint)? I know that Durfee was built in 1927 so both Central HS and Durfee must have been constructed by the same architects right? You would be hard-pressed to find better educational architecture anywhere. Who designed these schools? Was it Donaldson and Meier since their similar Sacred Heart work is nearby?

Neilr
Username: Neilr

Post Number: 462
Posted on Monday, February 26, 2007 - 11:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Also part of that grouping was Roosevelt Elementary School. Those schools were to be the model for the new style educational campuses that were to become the new standard for urban education. I don't think the model lived up to the expectations that were placed on it. So about 25 years ago, Roosevelt was combined with Durfee and then torn down.

Before there were schools in West Bloomfield, before there were schools in Southfield and Oak Park, before there was Mumford High School, there was Detroit Central High School. It was a school of excellence! It was a public school that was a national showplace for quality education. Many of Michigan's top lawyers, judges, merchants, educators, and art collectors received their educations at Roosevelt, Durfee, and Central. This is a part of our heritage in The Detroit Public Schools.

Patrick

Post Number: 4101
Posted on Monday, February 26, 2007 - 11:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Where was Roosevelt at? Was it on Lynwood?

Quozl
Username: Quozl

Post Number: 258
Posted on Monday, February 26, 2007 - 11:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Can someone please provide me with the exact location of where Central HS and Durfree are located.

Thanks in advance.

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 4908
Posted on Tuesday, February 27, 2007 - 2:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit Central High School. Built: 1926.
2425 Tuxedo St., @ La Salle Blvd. CHS had been located as Detroit's first High School in the Wayne State Bldg. known as Old Main, Cass Avenue.

Durfee Elementary School, K-8.
2470 Collingwood St. @ La Salle Blvd.

Roosevelt Field along Linwood Avenue, is at the back of the schools.

jjaba.

Quozl
Username: Quozl

Post Number: 262
Posted on Tuesday, February 27, 2007 - 9:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Jjaba.

65memories
Username: 65memories

Post Number: 350
Posted on Tuesday, February 27, 2007 - 12:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Roosevelt was situated behind Durfee and Central. When I was Assistant Principal at Durfee in 91-92, the Board leveled Roosevelt, which was a shame. When I walked through the building a few days before the leveling, I couldn't help but notice the beautiful woodwork, fireplaces in the library (which contained beautiful marble, etc.). Someone had already cased the building, taking all the brass doorknobs which contained the imprint seal of the Detroit Public Schools. Appeals to save the building fell on deaf ears. The Roosevelt students moved into Durfee, changing its structure from middle school to K-8. The elementary took over the 1st floor and part of 2nd. The middle school was mostly housedon the 3rd floor.

Detroit_stylin
Username: Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 3886
Posted on Tuesday, February 27, 2007 - 12:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

*sigh* I miss my Alma matter...

Patrick

Post Number: 4108
Posted on Tuesday, February 27, 2007 - 9:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Was Roosevelt built in the same Tudor style as Durfee and Central?

Neilr
Username: Neilr

Post Number: 464
Posted on Tuesday, February 27, 2007 - 9:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes it was. The campus was all so handsome.

Patrick

Post Number: 4110
Posted on Tuesday, February 27, 2007 - 9:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Neil, I took your advice and did a lil exploring west of the Lodge. Very pretty homes indeed. Sadly, the area near Central has seen better days...very rough.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.