Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2007 » Keelson Drive: What's the Story? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Royce
Username: Royce

Post Number: 2079
Posted on Saturday, February 24, 2007 - 5:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This street is in the Grayhaven Development. Does anyone know anybody that lives there? Some very expensive homes were built there recently, probably $400,000 plus. What's the scoop?

(Message edited by royce on February 24, 2007)

Reetz12
Username: Reetz12

Post Number: 138
Posted on Saturday, February 24, 2007 - 10:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My boss lives there. Gated Entrance into the complex, then there is an additinal gate for keelson drive, house right on the canal for a boat. Nice quiet street, obviously not much traffic. Houses are probably 7 years old.

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 4081
Posted on Saturday, February 24, 2007 - 11:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think it was called Port Street...or Starboard at one time. Several huge mansions were on that side of the canal. The Koerber brewing family had a huge mansion at the end of the street at the water across from the Gar Wood home. It was torn down to make room for that failed marina.

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 4082
Posted on Saturday, February 24, 2007 - 11:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The lenox side had a wooded strip, which was once home to several Fisher estates. they were turn down and the lot became wooded. I was there a few weeks ago when they were clearing the trees...I guess they are building more condos.

Royce
Username: Royce

Post Number: 2097
Posted on Sunday, March 04, 2007 - 6:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Where are the fareastsiders to chime in? What's the scoop on this gated community?

(Message edited by royce on March 04, 2007)

Mikem
Username: Mikem

Post Number: 3145
Posted on Sunday, March 04, 2007 - 9:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't know what the scoop is - haven't been back there since is was an empty, glass-strewn, pothole-filled street, accessible only over a narrow bridge which I was certain would collapse as I was driving over it. Some homes have been built there recently, however the first new homes on the island must have been built over 15 years ago.

I assume you've read these threads:

https://www.atdetroit.net/forum/mes sages/5/92575.html
https://www.atdetroit.net/forum/mes sages/5/95205.html

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 2518
Posted on Sunday, March 04, 2007 - 9:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Royce, one current listing for new construction on Keelson actually pushes 900k.

It's certainly a strange street, and also has a couple old houses on it, too.

See the second thread Mikem referenced...there's a link to a recent photo I took of the area.

Keelson is just another example of the weird and wacky lower east side...where real estate money pours in, but almost exclusively for new construction.

Mikem
Username: Mikem

Post Number: 3166
Posted on Tuesday, March 06, 2007 - 1:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I found this picture in the archives and the bridge in the corner caught my eye. That's the steep rickety bridge over the canal to Grayhaven, the one that kept the fire trucks from being able to reach Gar Wood's when it burned. I was also surprised to see the number of homes along the west side of the canal.

Neilr
Username: Neilr

Post Number: 469
Posted on Tuesday, March 06, 2007 - 2:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I believe that it was the same rickety bridge that kept the demolition trucks and heavy equipment off Grayhaven and thus delayed the demolition of the ruins of the Gar Wood mansion for so many years.

Brandon48202
Username: Brandon48202

Post Number: 147
Posted on Tuesday, March 06, 2007 - 2:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here is what about $700K will get you on Keelson Drive:

http://pub.realcomponline.com/ List/V/G/A/880OP4DAFZBVGA.htm

Bw7085
Username: Bw7085

Post Number: 4
Posted on Tuesday, March 06, 2007 - 7:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone have any info on the homes the are starting on the lenox side?

Leland_palmer
Username: Leland_palmer

Post Number: 239
Posted on Tuesday, March 06, 2007 - 10:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's your story...

http://info.detnews.com/histor y/story/index.cfm?id=128&categ ory=locations

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.